Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh on Hernandez signing. At his age, he's Nick Garcia v2. Another guy for veteran leadership, but short (only 5'10"), lost a lot of mobility and has tendency to make reckless tackles. There's a reason why NYCFC sucked defensively last 2 yrs.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We've now got two complete backlines

Morrow -- Hagglund -- Moor -- Zavaleta -- Beitashour

Morgan -- Brunell -- Hernandez -- Aubrey -- Mavinga
    I don't think Mavinga could play RWB in our system. Isn't he left-footed?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I don't think Mavinga could play RWB in our system. Isn't he left-footed?
    Left footed for sure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga is left footed and will be the starting LCD but, yes, nice to have 10 back there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Meh on Hernandez signing. At his age, he's Nick Garcia v2. Another guy for veteran leadership, but short (only 5'10"), lost a lot of mobility and has tendency to make reckless tackles. There's a reason why NYCFC sucked defensively last 2 yrs.
    Damn....for real Yohan? NICK GARCIA.....There can only be one Nick Garcia.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Damn....for real Yohan? NICK GARCIA.....There can only be one Nick Garcia.
    I will literally never forget the moment when Roberto Brown punched his face during the Voyageurs Cup game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I will literally never forget the moment when Roberto Brown punched his face during the Voyageurs Cup game.

Taking that punch for the team was probably the best thing he contributed for us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ready To Go !!! Welcome to Toronto Jason.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 03-22-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtf.....I'm confused....can he play the RWB that we need a backup for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    wtf.....I'm confused....can he play the RWB that we need a backup for?
    Yes, he can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yes, he can
    Thanks.

Looks like TFC II should be very solid this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So from all I can tell the signing still hanging in the balance is Ben Spencer. From Kurt's previous reporting Johan Brunell, Oyvind and Ben were close to deal. Maybe they are still deciding on an MLS or USL one for him.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good read from Laura Armstrong on Alseth

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...nd-alseth.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You know I respect your footy opinion, but this isn't really accurate. According to NYFC fans he was their only good defender most of the time, and was let go because of the cap hit v age. He was still on a high salary from San Jose.

He's a good defender and has played wide as well. He's a good backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC II signed Jordan McCrary to be their starting RB/RWB. I'm sure Alseth is going to play with TFC II as well but I actually expect him to stay with the senior squad most of the time (in fact, he beat McCrary for this roster spot and contract).

3rd round pick getting an MLS deal straight out of the preseason following the draft, I'm legitimately curious about how many times this has happened before, if it's happened at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can we have 3 SJ defenders, but not Marvell Wynne?
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

3rd round pick getting an MLS deal straight out of the preseason following the draft, I'm legitimately curious about how many times this has happened before, if it's happened at all.
    Not unheard of. Happens once or twice every draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    TFC II signed Jordan McCrary to be their starting RB/RWB. I'm sure Alseth is going to play with TFC II as well but I actually expect him to stay with the senior squad most of the time (in fact, he beat McCrary for this roster spot and contract).

2011, we drafted Plata and Matt Gold in the 3rd round and signed both early in the season/preseason

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    2011, we drafted Plata and Matt Gold in the 3rd round and signed both early in the season/preseason
    Plata was different , he was already tied to the club through the loan deal the league made.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some late round TFC draft picks ended up with MLS contract. Tyler Hemming, Taylor Morgan, Ashton Bennett, Joseph Nane off my head
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank god for the roster the Reds have now compared to this 11 who took the pitch on April 2, 2011. Stefan Frei, Danleigh Borman, Nana Attakora, Adrian Cann, Ty Harden, Tony Tchani, Maicon Santos, Jacob Peterson, Javier Martina, Alan Gordon, Alen Stevanovic. Loved some of these guys, others not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I moreso meant in the last few years now that academies are really starting to take off and teams have USL clubs or affiliates where they can stash late draft picks away for a while. Seeing a 3rd round pick get an MLS deal in so-called MLS 3.0 felt highly irregular to me, but I haven't actually looked into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still need a better starting RWB. Beit is too defensive. What about SKCs Abdul-Smalaa. I'd trade Delgado or Hagglund for him..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    We still need a better starting RWB. Beit is too defensive. What about SKCs Abdul-Smalaa. I'd trade Delgado or Hagglund for him..
    Probably a good thing since Morrow basically plays as an out-and-out attacking winger on the other side. He's also capable of getting up and providing cable width when the occasion calls for it, like when he got up and put in an inch perfect cross on Cheyrou's goal last year. Being that we were far and away he best team in the league come playoff time I don't think there's much reason for going out and trying to improve on that starting 11.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Just look what happened last time a team thought they could go out and easily get an improvement on Beitashour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On top of the fact that who says KC wants to trade him out?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You know I respect your footy opinion, but this isn't really accurate. According to NYFC fans he was their only good defender most of the time, and was let go because of the cap hit v age. He was still on a high salary from San Jose.

He's a good defender and has played wide as well. He's a good backup.
    Jeremy, you don't have to pussyfoot around me if you think I'm wrong lol.

Maybe Nick Garcia-ing him is a bit harsh. But there is a reason why Vieira chose to let Hernandez go. Part of it is that NYCFC plays everything out of the back and JH isn't good enough passer to fit that tactical philosophy. But IMHO the biggest part is that JH just can't keep up anymore. Hernandez is same age as Moor at 33, but he's considered not good enough to start for a team that leaked a ton of goals last season. SJ let him go and now so did NYCFC. (and I used to think JH was a decent MLS CB as well) 200k isn't that big of a cap hit for a veteran CB who can contribute.

So I think JH is declining really fast. And depth CB might be a decent fit for him. But I question just how much value he brings to TFC, considering there's a lot of CBs signed now, and JH isn't going to add that much. (esp considering his 5'10" height and never been known as an aerial presence)

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    On top of the fact that who says KC wants to trade him out?
    Graham Zusi is right now playing RB for SKC. Wasting a DP spot on RB position sounds silly, but Abdul-Salaam has trade value, and SKC has other pressing needs esp a wide winger who can attack.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Thank god for the roster the Reds have now compared to this 11 who took the pitch on April 2, 2011. Stefan Frei, Danleigh Borman, Nana Attakora, Adrian Cann, Ty Harden, Tony Tchani, Maicon Santos, Jacob Peterson, Javier Martina, Alan Gordon, Alen Stevanovic. Loved some of these guys, others not so much.

No more seeing Jacobson when KC visit.

All about Pasher, now.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it weird that Jacob Petersen is the only one that looks like a complete effing idiot in that picture?