Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    omg ! That's crazy.

I wonder if they can expense there living expenses to TFC (Mortgage/rent, transportation, food) without circumventing the cap
    MY thoughts are Cheyrou has an office job with TFC lined up and Hasler has a back loaded contract (ex. 60k this year, 100k next).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    MY thoughts are Cheyrou has an office job with TFC lined up and Hasler has a back loaded contract (ex. 60k this year, 100k next).
    I think you're right on both fronts. We've heard so much about that with Cheyrou, and I think we were close to the cap, so we probably had limited space to add Hasler. Would not surprise me for that to be the case. WakingTheRed notes that's what happened with Tosaint Ricketts https://www.wakingthered.com/toronto...-players-union

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    That's absolutely correct. Larson confirmed that on twitter after he signed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    That's absolutely correct. Larson confirmed that on twitter after he signed.
    that means Hasler will likely be exposed on the expansion draft.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    that means Hasler will likely be exposed on the expansion draft.
    Why?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Why?
    Int spot plus unknown cap hit next season. I suppose Hasler's agent could tell LAFC what Hasler's salary is next season.

Generally, teams don't go for high cap hit players in an expansion draft, unless it's someone they really want. Usually depth players or players that can be traded for assets get picked
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Int spot plus unknown cap hit next season. I suppose Hasler's agent could tell LAFC what Hasler's salary is next season.

Generally, teams don't go for high cap hit players in an expansion draft, unless it's someone they really want. Usually depth players or players that can be traded for assets get picked
    We know it's backloaded, but we don't know to what. If he's getting 300k like Mavinga, then not protecting him could make sense. But if its more reasonable like 150k, that's a different story. Truth is, without the facts, it's harder to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your assuming its a massive rise though. If his basic now is 60k and and lets sayhis rise is to 120-140k hes worth keeping as he's still valuable at that range. If the raise is pushing 200k then, yea, then he might be unprotected.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beitashour is more likely to be left available then Hasler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    You'd think, right? but I'm not so sure. The club does really value stability, but Hasler has been lights out on the RWB position. Like a second morrow on the right side, except a little more dynamic in possession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other thing is - why protect any of our free agents? Why would an expansion team chose them when they might take a better offer in the off-season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Hasler over Beitashour and unprotect most free agents

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moor said new deal is done, just waiting to put his signature to contract. Bet he is waiting for expansion draft to be over, as he is a free agent and TFC don't have to waste a spot to protect him if he is a free agent going into expansion draft.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Beitashour is a guarantee to be unprotected, he's a free agent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moor said new deal is done, just waiting to put his signature to contract. Bet he is waiting for expansion draft to be over, as he is a free agent and TFC don't have to waste a spot to protect him if he is a free agent going into expansion draft.
    Wouldn't surprise me to see MLS step in and make him sign it. Since all contracts are signed by the league, the league will know its done and might not want to allow the loophole

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me to see MLS step in and make him sign it. Since all contracts are signed by the league, the league will know its done and might not want to allow the loophole
    the league can't force a player to sign a contract. Player's Union would have a field day otherwise

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the league can't force a player to sign a contract. Player's Union would have a field day otherwise
    True, but the MLS is different in the sense that the contracts are officially signed with the league not with the team. IF Moor has already agreed to a contract and is waiting to sign it, then the league would know because he has to have an agreement with the league.

I'm just looking at it from the league's perspective, since leagues hate loopholes.And this seems blatant especially if Moor has already confirmed its agreed to. Note, I've been advocating for a few weeks to not sign Moor until after the draft to take advantage of this loophole. I don't know how much say the MLS has in their rules, but I assume they would not want to start a precedence of gaming the system.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ free agents are a special case though, it's pretty hard for a league to force the issue. He's out of a contract, they can't even force him to stay in MLS, he could go many places worldwide. It's not like MLB where you don't have comparable leagues elsewhere.

Every league would prefer not to have free agency, players unions ("associations") and the like. They have to deal with reality. The "loophole" will stand. Since it only applies to a very small number of players, it's not worth fighting the union over.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-09-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verbal deals.

Rinse. Repeat. We wasted about 6,000 threads on that a few years back.

It’s not signed until it’s signed.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christ I hate fucking expansion drafts. Makes this league look amateur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard anything about when the expansion draft for LAFC would be. Is it possible they may scrap that pain in the ass process?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I haven't heard anything about when the expansion draft for LAFC would be. Is it possible they may scrap that pain in the ass process?
    This says they will

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...cation-instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

I hope they don't. I like the idea of extra allocation money in lieu of the draft. It makes more sense and is overall much more fair to all parties.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A media report on Twitter posted that the Reds are going to sign a young midfielder out of Ghana Gideon Waja, who recently played in the WAFU Cup of Nations.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    A media report on Twitter posted that the Reds are going to sign a young midfielder out of Ghana Gideon Waja, who recently played in the WAFU Cup of Nations.
    Can you provide us with a link CB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Can you provide us with a link CB?

However previous to that tweet the same guy was saying he was going somewhere else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba option declined by Vancouver, I know Racing Club are likely in for him, but if there's going to be a massive injection of TAM I really wouldn't mind seeing us going in for him especially with this likely being Cheyrou's last. Vazquez, Laba, Bradley midfield in CCL would be really strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Laba option declined by Vancouver, I know Racing Club are likely in for him, but if there's going to be a massive injection of TAM I really wouldn't mind seeing us going in for him especially with this likely being Cheyrou's last. Vazquez, Laba, Bradley midfield in CCL would be really strong.
    He is injured and out 10-12 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    He is injured and out 10-12 months.
    Expected recovery by Spring tho