Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Southend Rebuild

with the new roof and the elimination of the north end. What are people thoughts of rebuilding the south end to mimic the Orlando supporter stands (Safe safe Stand zone.

If is possible. I know the south end roof is moveable

any thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt they're thinking about making anymore changes to the building for a while now. Time to re-coup their investment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That south end roof is only moveable if they once again bring over two of the heaviest cranes in the world. Its not going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they'll do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No they wont. dont expect the southend to be renovated anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez. Let's enjoy the new grounds for a few years or so before we rip it up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving the southend roof won't happen anytime soon. I think that adding safe standing would be a possibility. It allows more people in the stands which equals more $$$.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they were going to install :safe standing" they would have done it at the time of the major renos. The club has made their decision, so we need to live with it.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If they were going to install :safe standing" they would have done it at the time of the major renos. The club has made their decision, so we need to live with it.
    This. Safe standing is great fun. They had the chance (more than once) and have opted to not spend the money. They would have to put in the collapsible seating for Argos fans. They will not.

But we should keep asking formally when we meet with the club. And we do.

BTW they had better cause to mimic Montreals safe standing from the OLD Saputo. That was just as fun and I even got to enjoy it during a couple Canada matches.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-22-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a priority for a lot of people. I'd like it, but I don't care that much.

If it becomes a safety issue than maybe down the road it happens. Until then if it's deemed unsafe, they will crack down on tickets and behavior.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some things to consider - when the renos were done a different sheriff was in town. Things have now changed. As well budgets are things companies are always looking to build, justify and spend.

The roof may be going nowhere, but the seating options always have chatter around them.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see them putting seats back in the north end once the Argos get the boot for good. And like Phil said, the roof ain't going anywhere, but if can increase capacity in the south, they would consider it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Argos' fans want to stand in the south end, safely or not? (Assuming they show up.)
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most safe standing these days includes a pull-down seat option. There will be safe standing at Minnesotta and in Orlando with plans possibly for LAFC. Give it a few years to see how it all goes over there and maybe MLSE would consider it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's always the option to ask about safe standing in tomorrow's breakfast Q&A if anyone is going

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling that we won't see any significant changes to the stadium for at least a few years. Sure, BMO Field was in a constant state of expansion for a good part of its first ten years, but with the last major upgrade I'm pretty sure the club now wants to get a return on their investments. To be honest, I really think the BMO Field we have now is the last iteration. Any more renovations and you might as well start from scratch.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The west side really needs lots of work, and was already hinted. But with the new brass in town, who knows how long that might take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    The west side really needs lots of work, and was already hinted. But with the new brass in town, who knows how long that might take.
    structural or aesthetic? my seats are on the west side and I don't really have any complaints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like our stadium in some ways, a few other ways it's weird, and could still use some more renovations to make it look amazing, it's almost there, you can visualize it. Currently now the stadium south stand and lesser extent west stand roofs are to high, very odd looking, and the south stand is really small looking compared to the big west and east stands. However these issues are probably not a big priority. The stadium overall is impressive and large enough as is. The stadium south stand end already allows fans to stand consistently for 90 minutes, the atmosphere in that south stand is already loud and for the owners it probably insn't a priority to try to take our atmosphere in the south stand up another notch (even tho the supporter groups would do whatever it takes to improve the atmosphere in anyway). Overall at this time I don't think money wise there is much gain for the business to gain by renovating the south end, the cheapest seats in the entire stadium. Also with the Argos, we know they don't want a standing section. Maybe in 5-10 years time some renovation will be done to south stand, but for the next while, we enjoy the stadium we have.
    Last edited by james; 02-25-2017 at 05:20 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    structural or aesthetic? my seats are on the west side and I don't really have any complaints.
    - Un-insulated pipes & risk of frost damage. (They were lucky for the Winter Classic as the weather was barely below freezing even at night.) I'm not sure if pipes elsewhere in the stadium are better; at least the east side was insulated during the rebuild AFAIK.

- Drainage problems & more on the west concourse. There are puddles everywhere when it rains. Not great for the concrete long-term either.

- The west-side suites aren't great, and there aren't many of them. I heard rumours that one reason for the high roof in the west was to allow room for a small expansion, especially more suites...?

- I wish the washrooms were heated, but I don't know if that's in anyone's plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Un-insulated pipes & risk of frost damage. (They were lucky for the Winter Classic as the weather was barely below freezing even at night.) I'm not sure if pipes elsewhere in the stadium are better; at least the east side was insulated during the rebuild AFAIK.

- Drainage problems & more on the west concourse. There are puddles everywhere when it rains. Not great for the concrete long-term either.

- The west-side suites aren't great, and there aren't many of them. I heard rumours that one reason for the high roof in the west was to allow room for a small expansion, especially more suites...?

- I wish the washrooms were heated, but I don't know if that's in anyone's plan.
    Isn't this idea pretty much "Phase III" of the construction/expansion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah actually this is all fair. I always forget about the small shit during the off-season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it fuckin better be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Isn't this idea pretty much "Phase III" of the construction/expansion?
    Well I never found exactly what would be included in a possible "Phase III" but yes that's what I meant when I originally wrote "The west side really needs lots of work, and was already hinted. But with the new brass in town, who knows how long that might take."