Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yep. If memory serves, as recently as 2015 MLS teams set a record for % of points earned at home.

Last year we had the 2nd best road record in the league at 6-6-5. On road form we were good enough for the shield, issue was we dropped too many points at home - which was that run of games where everyone was injured and the subs played well but couldn't find the net often enough.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-05-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The result was better than I expected historically. I thought RSL would have scored late after TFC was gassed by altitude.

Cheer up everyone, right now we're tied for first in the East!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Surly you jest, a 2 game goal drought, hmmm!!!
    Of course - but I am worried about Giovinco.

I don't think he is physically as fit as he was when he arrived. A good example is yesterday when the pass came through that ended in the penalty. While it was a little over hit - I thought that Gio would get to it easily with a little burst...but he didn't have another gear. If he did he would have easily had the ball before Rimondo got there & scored. The DP trap is keeping us from subbing him or bringing him late in games & his mentality is getting effected. If he doesn't sort this out we are in trouble - in order to win the MLS Cup you need your best player firing on all cylinders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Giovinco's record breaking season, he didn't score for the first two games, if memory serves me right. He had a good holiday, he played well this last game, the goals will come, in avalanches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Too many turnovers giveaways , too many players dribbling into players not either shooting when the opportunity was there or passing before running into traffic and losing possession. Moreover, sometimes even passing when the better option was dribbling and taking the space that was available, overall the decision making was poor by TFC in this game.
    we have this discussion every season! MLS is unwatchable for the first month ... plus we've been watching top flight premiership for 4 months in midseason form.
    What happens in march has no bearing on the MLS season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is some incredible handwringing, considering we are a single game into the new season after getting to the MLS Cup, and we drew a team nil-nil on the road. LOL.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Even games where he didn't score, Seba always made a few brilliant jaw-dropping runs, or passes, etc., easily getting by MLS defenders. I haven't seen him doing this since the summer 2016, and yesterday was no exception.
    Exactly my thoughts also!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL came out of their home opener saying the best thing about their game was they didn't let us score and their two best players were their keeper and a CD who made numerous mistakes in the first half.

This is a change from even a year ago when people spent the first 3 months thinking our defence would fall apart and were shocked when it didn't.

Our defence was solid for MLS and the attackers were dangerous. Midfield needs to move the ball around faster but that will come.

Clean sheet away point for our only game at altitude - take it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Of course - but I am worried about Giovinco.

I don't think he is physically as fit as he was when he arrived. A good example is yesterday when the pass came through that ended in the penalty. While it was a little over hit - I thought that Gio would get to it easily with a little burst...but he didn't have another gear. If he did he would have easily had the ball before Rimondo got there & scored. The DP trap is keeping us from subbing him or bringing him late in games & his mentality is getting effected. If he doesn't sort this out we are in trouble - in order to win the MLS Cup you need your best player firing on all cylinders.
    I was worried when TFC didn't score on a bunch of chances. I figured they would get really gassed & slow down in the 2nd half, while RSL (accustomed to the altitude) would have much better stamina & take over the game late.

That never happened -- actually the opposite occurred. RSL could hardly mount a decent attack for the last 25 minutes; lots of hopeless balls forward by them; lots of time wasting. And as OtD mentioned, RSL were happy to come out with a point. Meanwhile Giovinco went on some gut-busting runs even late in the 2nd half.

I don't think Giovinco looked out of shape at all. His touch was off a bit; lots of the passing and movement (by many TFC players) was rusty, like the first game of the season may be. But look at the whole play before the penalty. Seba started that play off within our own penalty area. He beat most of the RSL players sprinting over the full length of the field. TFC ended up with numerical advantage at the other end. But that pass by Cooper was over-hit a bit. There was no need for that; little pressure from the RSL defence meant there was plenty of space to put a cleaner pass back to Seba. After that full-field sprint, it was good that Seba earned himself a PK out of a bad pass.

Given the run of play, I think TFC could have done better against a largely toothless RSL squad. I think the 2nd & 3rd TFC subs should have come quicker; RSL were weakening & we could have taken control. (I also wasn't convinced that Delgado was a good choice when he came in.)

But Seba was often swarmed by RSL defenders -- in situations like that we need some goals from Altidore or Vasquez etc. Altidore came close. The passing was often poor (e.g. Bradley), and a couple of other things have to improve. But not bad for the first game of the season, at 1400 m elevation.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-05-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the wind also played a factor, as we couldn't reliably switch sides on the attack, especially in the 2nd half. You wouldn't put the ball up to get it across, as it would probably go 20 yards back...

The goal kicks were also awful in the second half because they'd hang forever (ours) or sail very long (theirs). No ability to control the ball on receipt. (In the first half we were receiving the ball very well from Clint)

As for being used to elevation, did RSL train in Utah or did they train south like we did? If they haven't spent 6 weeks at altitude, they won't yet be acclimated to the elevation any more than we were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this was game one of a long season... I'm happy with the point and no goals against.

The team will be fine, the sharpness and fluidity in attacking was missing, but that will take a week or two.

This is a new feeling for most of us. We expect a win every time they step on the pitch, but at the end of the day just think of how far we have come as a squad and enjoy it and hopefully this will be the start of a long and successful campaign with a better ending then last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

decent point on the road. I think most of us would have taken that before the game started, a little disappointed at the end as it was a game we should have won. Not too concerned about Gio or any of the rustiness certain players showed, to be expected at this stage. I'd be looking at taking something from Philly game also, if we do, not a bad start at all to the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im just looking for things at this point, but im a little disappointed at Jozy. He really shoulda taken the easy option and shot it low and hard at the post
    He then didst look pissed or fired up that Rimando saved. As if, "oh well, hes really good and can read me well" NO, I wanna hear what you should have done to put that gift away.

that should have been 3 points. hands down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Will say I'm happy with the point. Definitely could have gotten the win.

Seba seemed to have no motivation so hopefully it's just a game 1 thing.
    Altidore, a beast so not sure how he gets so man handled.
    Not sure why the negativity on Cooper, I thought he fought and held the ball well....a couple times too long, but generally a good game.
    Oso will have a hard time getting in the first team with Vazquez getting game ready.
    Hagglund, no, just no. Weak link in the back.
    Would have liked to see Ricketts over Delgado.

Lots to take away as they prep for next week.

Just my thoughts.

Dom
    Those were generally my thoughts too.

BTW, anyone know why, when you quote someone's post, it won't let you type spaces between the words?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    decent point on the road. I think most of us would have taken that before the game started, a little disappointed at the end as it was a game we should have won. Not too concerned about Gio or any of the rustiness certain players showed, to be expected at this stage. I'd be looking at taking something from Philly game also, if we do, not a bad start at all to the season
    Kinda limited data from the first games all around, other than Minnesota is going to have a difficult start. I would be disappointed if TFC scores less than 2 goals in Philly, though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

BTW, anyone know why, when you quote someone's post, it won't let you type spaces between the words?
    It's a browser-specific bug with Chrome.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    It's a browser-specific bug with Chrome.
    If you go to "Go Advanced" when replying it sorts itself out and you can add spaces again.
    Last edited by Ben - D.O.W.; 03-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Type. Press ENTER. Press BACKSPACE. All good. Oh chrome.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or just CTRL+A, CTRL+X, CTRL+V

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually just copy & paste the first space from the OP or another post, and then it's all good.

And isn't it actually a bug in this version of the forum software, but it shows up in combination with Chrome?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I usually just copy & paste the first space from the OP or another post, and then it's all good.

And isn't it actually a bug in this version of the forum software, but it shows up in combination with Chrome?
    Yeah, it's a browser-specific bug with this version of the vBulletin. It works fine in Firefox (I couldn't tell you about IE/Edge).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    Yeah, it's a browser-specific bug with this version of the vBulletin. It works fine in Firefox (I couldn't tell you about IE/Edge).
    Well that's specifically annoying.

Although it didn't do it this time, so maybe it's been fixed?