Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLS Preseason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Preseason

We lost to Cal State yesterday 2-1, Obligatory preseason post just to get it out of the way...

"If we can't beat some semi-pro college team, how can we compete with everyone else. We're going to be competing for the Wooden Spoon. I hope I'm wrong.".
    Last edited by PopePouri; 02-06-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    We lost to Cal State yesterday 2-1, Obligatory preseason post just to get it out of the way...

"If we can't beat some semi-pro college team, how can compete with everyone else. We're going to be competing for the Wooden Spoon. I hope I'm wrong.".
    obligatory response

Dude, chill out. theres still time for this team to gel and pick up an AM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#VanneyOut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting the sense more and more that we're giving the AM spot to Chapman until the summer. If he succeeds, good for us. If he fails we'll have a larger pool of players to pick from. It's not an absolute need so I doubt they rush in someone they aren't 100% on.

This is all good stuff.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

"If we can't beat some semi-pro college team, how can compete with everyone else. We're going to be competing for the Wooden Spoon. I hope I'm wrong.".
    Not only that, Giovinco only got 1 goal. Clearly he's gonna tank this season. That's if he doesn't move to China! Obligatory worried post.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the preseason notion....but it still horrendously bad to lose to an average college team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yea, and I couldn't help but notice that Vanney is helping out his other Nephew in Spencer....he's played the last few games. (He's undeservingly there)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Oh yea, and I couldn't help but notice that Vanney is helping out his other Nephew in Spencer....he's played the last few games. (He's undeservingly there)
    This is the guy who was US U20 right? Its pre-season. Like a lot of other people there, he's on a USL contract. He's a project and if they don't like him, he'll go back down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think they're related. Vanney knows him well for sure - he brought him into the RSL and Chivas youth teams - but nothing more than that. Spencer was a very highly touted prospect before he tore his knee or whatever it was. Not much wrong with giving a guy like that a run during preseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its only the thrid pre-season game no need to stress yet. Im curious to see how we will play aganist mls opposition. That will be the real measuring stick not a game with 3 periods ( i dont know what to call them) and entire team subsitutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandino88 View Post
    Its only the thrid pre-season game no need to stress yet. Im curious to see how we will play aganist mls opposition. That will be the real measuring stick not a game with 3 periods ( i dont know what to call them) and entire team subsitutions.
    Not really. It's preseason and results don't indicate the quality of the roster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandino88 View Post
    They've been calling them "three halves" LOL #AlternativeMath

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is Pre-preseason. I hope the next tourney is on the youtubes.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I'm getting the sense more and more that we're giving the AM spot to Chapman until the summer. If he succeeds, good for us. If he fails we'll have a larger pool of players to pick from. It's not an absolute need so I doubt they rush in someone they aren't 100% on.

This is all good stuff.
    It really depends how good this Andrews kid as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all good stuff.
    In the 3-5-2, I think it's Cooper as the AM. Delgado goes in for Johnson.

When we go 4 at the back, which I expect a lot, then Chapman may we'll be beside Bradley, a lot of guys will play the wing... Cooper, Endoh, Delgado
    Last edited by ensco; 02-06-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is the guy who was US U20 right? Its pre-season. Like a lot of other people there, he's on a USL contract. He's a project and if they don't like him, he'll go back down.
    I don't think they're related. Vanney knows him well for sure - he brought him into the RSL and Chivas youth teams - but nothing more than that. Spencer was a very highly touted prospect before he tore his knee or whatever it was. Not much wrong with giving a guy like that a run during preseason.
    yes it's preseason ...my point is there have been far more players who have actually performed in TFC II games last year. Spencer played in less then 180 mins last year, I could name a few who aren't with the first team who should be if Spencers there.

I.e. Ricardo John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it's preseason ...my point is there have been far more players who have actually performed in TFC II games last year. Spencer played in less then 180 mins last year, I could name a few who aren't with the first team who should be if Spencers there.

I.e. Ricardo John
    The young guys who are with the team right now are guys who the club thinks they could sign to the first team over the next 18-24 months. There's a reason your Brian James' and Ricardo Johns' aren't there while guys like Spencer and Fraser are. Has nothing to do with seniority and everything to do with letting the young guys who have the highest potential get minutes in with the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian James was in California tbf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The young guys who are with the team right now are guys who the club thinks they could sign to the first team over the next 18-24 months. There's a reason your Brian James' and Ricardo Johns' aren't there while guys like Spencer and Fraser are. Has nothing to do with seniority and everything to do with letting the young guys who have the highest potential get minutes in with the first team.
    Seniority?...I was referring to more unwarranted favouritism.

Only mentioned Spencer...but run with the rest. Edwards, Fraser, and Johnson are all deserve being their, I would even say Skylarge too.

Ricardo John is a 21 yo 6ft3 Trinidad and Tobago U-20, and U-23 player who scored 3 goals in 4 brief appearances for TFC II after being signed in late late August (?). He made a instant affect to the team with his speed, footwork, and aerial prescence.

I'm going to assume you don't watch TFCII games or are unaware of the players at large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seniority?...I was referring to more unwarranted favouritism.

Only mentioned Spencer...but run with the rest. Edwards, Fraser, and Johnson are all deserve being their, I would even say Skylarge too.

Ricardo John is a 21 yo 6ft3 Trinidad and Tobago U-20, and U-23 player who scored 3 goals in 4 brief appearances for TFC II after being signed in late late August (?). He made a instant affect to the team with his speed, footwork, and aerial prescence.

I'm going to assume you don't watch TFCII games or are unaware of the players at large.
    Fair enough. I remembered John signing a year or two ago for some reason. I don't know who I'm thinking of. this is going to bug me.

And you're also right to assume your last point. I found watching our senior academy team do a bunch of experimental shit against mostly semi-pro players to not be required viewing.

My larger point was that just because Spencer was training with the first team during pre-season over someone like John, who performed well in the same position in limited minutes last year, was not obviously favoritism. Spencer was at one point generally regarded to be one of the best prospects on the continent, talked about in the same way Carleton or Akinola are talked about now. Vanney gave him his start in the RSL youth system when he was 15 and then brought him with him to Chivas not long after. John was all-ACC third team when Spencer went to go play with one of the best teams in Scandinavia.

Given all that, I don't think it's a given that Vanney is letting favoritism get in the way of his judgement. It's not favoritism if they just think Spencer has more of a future with the club, and are basing that off having known him and seen him play for six years. Vanney and Co have in my opinion done really well over the last three years in player acquisitions and development, specifically with young players. I'm just saying I think he's earned a bit of leeway to go about his work without us accusing him of putting his horse in the senate.

I mean look at the last player people accused Vanney of playing favorites with. Zavaleta's turned out pretty damn good right? He certainly outperformed all expectations and ceilings I thought he had at the beginning of last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really doubt it's favoritism. They invested in getting him a long time ago and he was highly touted in the u20s when they got him. He just hasn't seen much time because of injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep up with TFC II fairly closely and I'll say John did not impress me in his brief cameo last year. He struck me as a hard worker with a big body, good agility for his size, but little in the way of skill. From my amateur viewpoint I wouldn't think his ceiling is very high at all.

Then again, Spencer has pretty much not played for 2 years. Management I'm sure wants to see what they have in him. IIRC, he's out of contract right now. Who knows, we may not even sign him at all, to TFC or TFC II.

Anyways, I will let Vanney and co. do their thing... I criticized them for giving the backup role to Bono last year over Roberts and I was most likely wrong on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We signed him officially September '16. Highly doubt he's already out of a contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I keep up with TFC II fairly closely and I'll say John did not impress me in his brief cameo last year. He struck me as a hard worker with a big body, good agility for his size, but little in the way of skill. From my amateur viewpoint I wouldn't think his ceiling is very high at all.
    While your brief analysis could be right....his play did result in 3 goals in 4 games. Again my point main point is that there are players coming and going who are from the academy (not John in this case) who aren't given a fair shot. But hey...it's part of football right?

Then again, Spencer has pretty much not played for 2 years. Management I'm sure wants to see what they have in him. IIRC, he's out of contract right now. Who knows, we may not even sign him at all, to TFC or TFC II.

Anyways, I will let Vanney and co. do their thing... I criticized them for giving the backup role to Bono last year over Roberts and I was most likely wrong on that.
    You/We could only be considered wrong because we/you never got to see Roberts given the chance to be proven "right"....even though he was considered the number 2 at the beginning of 2016.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While your brief analysis could be right....his play did result in 3 goals in 4 games. Again my point main point is that there are players coming and going who are from the academy (not John in this case) who aren't given a fair shot. But hey...it's part of football right?
    Depends. We now have outlets for players to get match experience whether it be pro or semi-pro. I'd say that the assessment of a forward goes beyond just scoring goals. Does he train well? Does he bring the midfielders into the game? Is he working off the ball? Can he hold up the ball? Does he make the right tactical decisions? Is he contributing defensively?

You/We could only be considered wrong because we/you never got to see Roberts given the chance to be proven "right"....even though he was considered the number 2 at the beginning of 2016.
    At the beginning of 2016, yes. Bono was terrible in 2015. But the opposite happened in 2016. Roberts showed no indication that he could make the step to the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We signed him officially September '16. Highly doubt he's already out of a contract.
    He was announced as out of contract in TFC II's end of season cuts, but that the club was negotiating a new contract with him. No news since. He could have signed and we just haven't announced it, but I doubt it, I'm pretty sure he's essentially on trial now (perhaps moreso on trial for a first team contract, and if not he'll get a USL contract).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I remembered John signing a year or two ago for some reason. I don't know who I'm thinking of. this is going to bug me.

And you're also right to assume your last point. I found watching our senior academy team do a bunch of experimental shit against mostly semi-pro players to not be required viewing.

My larger point was that just because Spencer was training with the first team during pre-season over someone like John, who performed well in the same position in limited minutes last year, was not obviously favoritism. Spencer was at one point generally regarded to be one of the best prospects on the continent, talked about in the same way Carleton or Akinola are talked about now. Vanney gave him his start in the RSL youth system when he was 15 and then brought him with him to Chivas not long after. John was all-ACC third team when Spencer went to go play with one of the best teams in Scandinavia.

Given all that, I don't think it's a given that Vanney is letting favoritism get in the way of his judgement. It's not favoritism if they just think Spencer has more of a future with the club, and are basing that off having known him and seen him play for six years. Vanney and Co have in my opinion done really well over the last three years in player acquisitions and development, specifically with young players. I'm just saying I think he's earned a bit of leeway to go about his work without us accusing him of putting his horse in the senate.

I mean look at the last player people accused Vanney of playing favorites with. Zavaleta's turned out pretty damn good right? He certainly outperformed all expectations and ceilings I thought he had at the beginning of last season.
    and brought haglund back from the dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney said he want's the team down from 37 guys to 30. Considering some of the draft picks and reserve players will be going back with TFC II to prepare for the season. Here's what I'm predicting the roster will look like in preason camp pt.2:

Goalkeepers (3)

• Clint Irwin
    • Alex Bono
    • Robert Moewes (#52Intl Draft Pick)

Defenders (10)

• Drew Moor
    • Chris Mavinga
    • Eriq Zavelta
    • Nick Hagglund
    • Ashtone Morgan
    • Justin Morrow
    • Steven Beitashour
    • Brandon Aubrey (#21 Draft Pick)
    • Jordan McCrary (trialist)
    • Juan Pablo Saavedra (#87Draft Pick)

Midfielders (10)

• Michael Bradley
    • Benoit Cheyrou
    • Jonathan Osorio
    • Armando Cooper
    • Mikey Delgado
    • Jay Chapman
    • Sergio Carmargo
    • Aikim Andrews (trialist)
    • Raheem Edwards (TFC II)
    • Malik Johnson (TFC II)

Forwards (7)

• Jozy Altidore
    • Sebastian Giovinco
    • Tosaint Ricketts
    • Jordan Hamilton
    • Molham Babouli
    • Tsubasa Endoh
    • Ben Spencer

30 guys....but I think we could see another trialist or hopefully the new number 10.
    Last edited by Shway; 02-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Spencer goes with them. Offers something different from our other back up forwards.

Vanney said he want's the team down from 37 guys to 30. Considering some of the draft picks and reserve players will be going back with TFC II to prepare for the season. Here's what I'm predicting the roster will look like in preason camp pt.2:

Goalkeepers (3)

• Clint Irwin
    • Alex Bono
    • Robert Moewes (#52Intl Draft Pick)

Defenders (10)

• Drew Moor
    • Chris Mavinga
    • Eriq Zavelta
    • Nick Hagglund
    • Ashtone Morgan
    • Justin Morrow
    • Steven Beitashour
    • Brandon Aubrey (#21 Draft Pick)
    • Jordan McCrary (trialist)
    • Juan Pablo Saavedra (#87Draft Pick)

Midfielders (10)

• Michael Bradley
    • Benoit Cheyrou
    • Jonathan Osorio
    • Armando Cooper
    • Mikey Delgado
    • Jay Chapman
    • Sergio Carmargo
    • Aikim Andrews (trialist)
    • Raheem Edwards (TFC II)
    • Malik Johnson (TFC II)

Forwards (6)

• Jozy Altidore
    • Sebastian Giovinco
    • Tosaint Ricketts
    • Jordan Hamilton
    • Molham Babouli
    • Tsubasa Endoh

29 guys....but I think we could see another trialist or hopefully the new number 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    I think Spencer goes with them. Offers something different from our other back up forwards.
    Yea your right...