Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if true,how can he not take that,the transfer fee has to be in the 25 mil range.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if the Italian restaurants will be as good as what he gets to experience here. China is a strange beast to me. They have gone after the biggest names and in some cases actually got them as such with Drogba and Anelka. The thing is no one really stayed there that long, they seem after a while to want to leave even though they are leaving money on the table.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now is the real question, are Bez and Bill Manning preparing a proposal to present to the board regarding giving Seba a raise if he does come back and says he wants to explore the China offer? If its $21M, how high do you think the Reds would go to keep him?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Now is the real question, are Bez and Bill Manning preparing a proposal to present to the board regarding giving Seba a raise if he does come back and says he wants to explore the China offer? If its $21M, how high do you think the Reds would go to keep him?
    If the $20M is true its pretty much a done deal.

MLS FO is going to have to step up if they don't want their MPV to leave, MLSE could feasibly counter with 10M, but I think anything beyond that is out of the question.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quote I saw was 20 million Euros wages. That is more then the reality of what Tevez is getting. Heck that is more than the after tax amount Messi and Ronaldo get. Paint me sceptical.

I'd like to hear confirmation from someone covering Asian football first though. I'm also a tad leery of this aspect of the story coming from one journo in Italy. I listened to the interview with Totera tonight and although I think the salary amount is significant, and obviously more than Seba is getting here, I also note it's talk coming all from one meeting between D'Amico and somebody involved in Chinese football. Of course the agent is going to say it's big - that's his job.

I think D'Amico is angling for something significant from MLS. Trying to bust the system open using the best player ever to play in MLS might be a step too far given the Billionaires owning the teams, but he's looking for some way to get his stable of players into MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/...32281569939456

Giovinco has been offered 20m€ yearly wages from China!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Keep in mind, this is also in USD. With the exchange rate the way it’s been, this could be a factor too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez saying no formal offer means there has been an offer, but it's verbal, not written.

maybe we could get Payet from West Ham. Comparable but a downgrade to Seba.

they must be offering incredible omen for Bez and Vanney not to simply say " No."

Until the playoff run, I thought we had to be jettisoning one of our DP's for financial reasons. The playoff run made this seem less likely as they earned millions from the home dates (30,000 times say $75 plus concessions per home date is a lot of revenue ) and even then I thought it would be Bradley who would go.

I really hope that they fight to keep Seba. It's such a joy watching him play.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-25-2017 at 11:13 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If the $20M is true its pretty much a done deal.
    Nothing is done. Giovinco if he was considering it would ask players who played in China what their experience was and think carefully. Money is a lot but it's not everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The quote I saw was 20 million Euros wages. That is more then the reality of what Tevez is getting. Heck that is more than the after tax amount Messi and Ronaldo get. Paint me sceptical.

I'd like to hear confirmation from someone covering Asian football first though. I'm also a tad leery of this aspect of the story coming from one journo in Italy. I listened to the interview with Totera tonight and although I think the salary amount is significant, and obviously more than Seba is getting here, I also note it's talk coming all from one meeting between D'Amico and somebody involved in Chinese football. Of course the agent is going to say it's big - that's his job.

I think D'Amico is angling for something significant from MLS. Trying to bust the system open using the best player ever to play in MLS might be a step too far given the Billionaires owning the teams, but he's looking for some way to get his stable of players into MLS.
    Am I missing something? Is Tevez not making $40 million? The reported money for Giovinco seems plausible to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to put here what I quoted in the other thread about the reality of the Tevez deal - don't trust Euro based journalists on this stuff.

The total deal over two years is reported to be £32.5m ($40mUS) including the transfer fee, which works out at £226,000 per week and that would place Tevez significantly behind the reported salaries for Cristiano Ronaldo (£288,000 after tax) and Lionel Messi (£256,000 after tax).
    If you look at that the transfer fee was about £10m for Tevez.

The salary mentioned by Tancredi is £17 m a year - or about £340,000 a week. And on top of that a reported £25m transfer fee (which would be $31 million US).

Again, paint me skeptical on the details here - Giovinco paid more then Messi and Ronaldo?

Even if reality is the higher number involved ($31 millon) but over a 2 year contract and including a transfer fee, if Seba gets what Tevez got in salary, that means only a $2million transfer fee. This makes no sense either.

I suspect thus the pay amount is less then what Tevez is getting in reality and the transfer fee is supposed to be about the same. Lets say £200K a week, which is about $12m US a year. Worth looking at. BUT, worth moving to China for? And is $12 million in transfer fee enough to pay for all the stuff TFC would have to change with a January sale of their main marketing tool, especially as MLS takes a cut? Doubtful. They'd hold out for $20 million.

I think there's enough in this to get Seba thinking and less to this then the figures being put out.

Like ensco, though, I'm coming around to this being 50/50 him going or not. That's a significant pay increase for a guy with maybe 5 more years of playing time (he turns 30 this week, IIRC). If his MLS contract ends after 2018, is he going to get the same pay as he does now? Doubtful.

The key to all this, as many have said, is going to be Seba's young family. If they don't want to go, I don't think he goes.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-25-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seem a transfer fee mentioned. I've just seen this from Palmeri:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Money is a lot but it's not everything.
    If they offer him similar money, sure.

Otherwise, yeah, it's everything.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I haven't seem a transfer fee mentioned. I've just seen this from Palmeri:

Yeah, I know, I was just basing that on Tottera and other twitter people but probably not that amount - which is why I go back to what TFC/MLS would want.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Money does have a huge influence in a player's decision making, but let's say your family doesn't want to move. How much is your family's happiness worth?

Different people have different motivations
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in terms of average salaries the MLS is just behind China, but is still quite the jump. The CSL is very much like the MLS in that its a top heavy league in terms of salaries. A domestic squad player is China makes about 60K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Money does have a huge influence in a player's decision making, but let's say your family doesn't want to move. How much is your family's happiness worth?

Different people have different motivations

exactly look at Payet at West Ham, he wants to return to France as his family are so homesick. He's actually going to take a pay cut to move. He's going the wrong way about it of course by going on strike. But it just shows how much your family plays into these things. Payet's family are so homesick that they can't settle, yet you can be in Marseille from London in just under 2 hrs. Italy to China is a lot further than that plus of course the lifestyle is completely different.
    Daniel Taylor who writes in The Guardian did an article, here is a couple extracts from it:
    "Wayne Rooney has already had one offer and, though it didn’t get very far at all, he hasn’t completely ruled out the idea of China even if, money aside, he hasn’t heard too much that is appealing. Rooney’s advisers went on a fact‑finding mission to China last spring and reported back that the pitches were appalling, the standard as bad as everyone thought, and the referees even worse, in a league blackened by tales of match-fixing and bribery.
    Rooney might also remember Manchester United’s pre-season friendly against FC Shenzhen in Macau in 2007 and what came out, four years later, about the referee taking 100,000 Hong Kong dollars (roughly £8,000) to fix the coin toss."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that Seba might turn down an extra 13 million euros a year because his wife doesn't like the air pollution... but let's not kid ourselves, this is not Italy, he is already far from home, and it's hardly likely

oh and Happy Birthday Seba - from the Juve PR machine (who have amusingly rediscovered their former "star")

https://twitter.com/juventusfcen/sta...72870927867904
    Last edited by ensco; 01-26-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tancredi Palmeri is full of shit. Don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

China is a different story right now. It is a government run league where the government pays the salaries. The same rules apply to privately owned clubs don't hold here. I would not be surprised one bit if the offer is as advertised.

If that is the offer, he is as good as gone.

I wonder what the tax rate is on high earners in China?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the teams in China that could offer that amount to him - not all the clubs are throwing around the massive cash - they are all full up with foreigner spaces and most have to cut one or two due to the new regulations.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Tancredi Palmeri is full of shit. Don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
    Yeah, on that...he's got form for being wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To use a hockey reference

DiMarzio is the Bob McKenzie of Italy
    Palmeri is the Eklund

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Uh, MLS apparently doesn't offer a place on the Italian National Team. They're pretty explicit about that. And Asia is fun.
    Ya I know, that's why I asked the question. Is China Super League seen as a stronger league than MLS? One that could possibly get him back on the NT radar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they are having some fun in the dressing room with the rumors...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Ya I know, that's why I asked the question. Is China Super League seen as a stronger league than MLS? One that could possibly get him back on the NT radar?
    I would compare it to MLS in the 1990's, only with DPs. i.e. if Giovinco goes there it will be for the cash, not for NT opportunity. Soccer is not popular with most Chinese youth, and the few genuinely talented domestics in the league draw huge salaries. That being said the country's leader is a huge fan and has made teaching the game mandatory. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-announc...hinese-1849208
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-26-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, as long as they actually pay (unlike some places out there) it's tough to turn down.

We have to remember that while these guys are wealthy compared to the average person, they look at it on a different scale. 5x your salary is 5x your salary no matter who you are.

I think uprooting your family is tough and toronto is more "familiar" culturally but it's still a question mark in your head whether to make a move or not. He's shown a willingness to think differently and make it work, is what I'm trying to say. China is an extension of this should he want to pursue it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I would compare it to MLS in the 1990's, only with DPs. i.e. if Giovinco goes there it will be for the cash, not for NT opportunity. Soccer is not popular with most Chinese youth, and the few genuinely talented domestics in the league draw huge salaries. That being said the country's leader is a huge fan and has made teaching the game mandatory. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-announc...hinese-1849208
    Seriously? This is an all time misrepresentation ....Have you been to China?

They are crazy for soccer, big EPL games draw a hundred million or something on TV. It's the single biggest EPL market outside the UK. They don't have the youth sports culture that exists in most of the rest of the world, because school and helping out at home is too important. But China cares a lot more about "soccer" than Canada or the US does. The big teams are massive there, much bigger than here.

It'd be as if the FA Cup Final got Super Bowl ratings here. That's the opportunity their domestic league there is trying to figure out.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-26-2017 at 11:07 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously? Have you been to China? They are crazy for soccer. They don't have the youth sports culture that exists in most of the rest of the world, because school and helping out at home is too important. But China cares a lot more about "soccer" than Canada does. The big teams are massive there, much bigger than here.
    We are talking league quality, not fandom. League quality currently can't be compared to a top league. The question was if joining the CPL would Giovinco have a greater chance of re-joining the Italian NT? I think not.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-26-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that they're joking about it at TFC's practice today seems to be a good sign.