Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think that may be wishful thinking. The Chinese deal entirely with the player, they let the player negotiate with the club.

We'll know soon enough.

yeah I get that, but his agent hasn't even spoke to the club yet, that's the point I was trying to make. The transfer deadline is looming. If this was a legitimate offer, his agent would be straight to meet TFC and begin discussions and not be running to the press . 6 Days to initiate talks, agree fees/contracts etc is very tight, especially when the chinese club are not dealing directly with TFC/MLS but via an agent, it is doable of course but would be difficult.
    I don't think there is anything in this personally, I think his agent has made a throwaway comment that the media has latched on to.
    Of course you can never say never, but I believe this will blow over.
    Last edited by burlington Red; 01-25-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stream of money coming from China has been going mainly to the clients of Jorge Mendes and Kia Joochabarin. I can see D'Amico wanting to get in on that gravy train and is perhaps using Giovinco to get in on that.

That's not to say Giovinco is going but that D'Amico is using his name to get a foot in the door and wined and dined by Chinese club owners then sell them some of his other clients from Italy or Russia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The yardstick for that deal is actually more of a 0.55yard stick. The numbers given out by the European press were bogus.
    It's all relative, but Tevez is making $40 million a year remember. Even at that 0.55 yardstick, that's a big yardstick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this was nothing, Gio himself, and/or the team, would have dismissed this by now.

The silence is telling you something.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this was nothing, Gio himself, and/or the team, would have dismissed this by now.

The silence is telling you something.
    Well someone from the club told Larson and Molinaro to tweet out that they haven't been approached about it so there's that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's hardly a 100% dismissal but i'd say the club can't come out full force until they have seen a bid and rejected - which appears hasn't happened yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'd probably be the biggest mistake in club history to sell Giovinco. They just put over 100 million into the stadium, and we're as hot as ever right now, so why would we go ahead and sell the best player in the league for what would probably amount to peanuts? Even 20 mil is fuck all in the grand scheme of things if it means we'll take two steps back. TFC is easily a $50 mil revenue club per year. I'm frustrated that this is even being considered a possibility by anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro@JohnMolinaro 3m3 minutes agoMore

Vanney: "I haven’t spent too much time thinking about losing Seba." #TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    It'd probably be the biggest mistake in club history to sell Giovinco. They just put over 100 million into the stadium, and we're as hot as ever right now, so why would we go ahead and sell the best player in the league for what would probably amount to peanuts? Even 20 mil is fuck all in the grand scheme of things if it means we'll take two steps back. TFC is easily a $50 mil revenue club per year. I'm frustrated that this is even being considered a possibility by anyone.
    Realistically, if Giovinco wants to go for more money the club can't do that much to stop him. If he wants to go, he'll go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Realistically, if Giovinco wants to go for more money the club can't do that much to stop him. If he wants to go, he'll go.
    True, but it'd have to be well above his current salary of 8 million per year. He's not uprooting his family to go to China for 10 mil. And I don't see anyone paying him more than that, even a Chinese super club.

On bandwagon, left side near the back, Section 224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that money is important and all but if Seba finishes out 5 or 6 years with us and we string some winning seasons together he would never have to buy a glass of wine in this town again. That has to be worth something to a thoughtful player one would think.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DenisG_tfc View Post
    I know that money is important and all but if Seba finishes out 5 or 6 years with us and we string some winning seasons together he would never have to buy a glass of wine in this town again. That has to be worth something to a thoughtful player one would think.

I would say that Toronto as a city has more to offer him than anywhere in China.

Does going to China give him a place on the Italian National team? Is China seen more value than MLS for the Italian NT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson spoke to Bez about it...

However, TFC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko confirmed to the Sun Wednesday morning that the Reds “haven’t been contacted” by any Chinese parties interested in acquiring the soon-to-be 30-year-old. Giovinco was with TFC when it opened preseason training camp this week.
    "I’m in regular touch with (Seba's agent)," Bezbatchenko told the Sun. "We have a very good relationship. He has more players under his portfolio than Sebastian.
    "We haven’t received any formal contact or communication from any (Chinese) club. We respond to written offers. We haven’t received any.
    "It’s the same thing I told (Seba's agent): ‘We’re not looking to sell any of our DPs. And if there’s a club interested, have them submit an offer and we’ll consider it then.’"
    The Reds have long stated their intention to retain Giovinco’s services. Likewise, the Atomic Ant has repeatedly said he has little interest in leaving Toronto after putting up huge numbers in back-to-back seasons.
    Giovinco has 39 goals and 31 assists in 61 regular season appearances since joining the Reds on a massive deal worth US$7 million per season. Giovinco's contract is guaranteed through the 2019 season.
    "It’s not surprising," Bezbatchenko continued. "Over the last six months we’ve seen Chinese clubs go out big for the top players around the world – and we consider Seba one of them.
    "He’s a top, top competitor. He’s one of the most competitive people I’ve ever come across in terms of how much he wants to win and how much he wants to help a team win."
    At least five players on TFC's roster have garnered interest from China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn Jina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I would say that Toronto as a city has more to offer him than anywhere in China.

Does going to China give him a place on the Italian National team? Is China seen more value than MLS for the Italian NT?
    Uh, MLS apparently doesn't offer a place on the Italian National Team. They're pretty explicit about that. And Asia is fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's some subtle shade by Bez.

He deftly separated the value of Seb ("top players around the world - and we consider Seba one") from the discussion with the agent ("if there's a club interested, have them submit an offer").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    That's some subtle shade by Bez.

He deftly separated the value of Seb ("top players around the world - and we consider Seba one") from the discussion with the agent ("if there's a club interested, have them submit an offer").
    Bez has a price for gio, its just not what was offered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Uh, MLS apparently doesn't offer a place on the Italian National Team. They're pretty explicit about that. And Asia is fun.
    the reasons you move to Canada and the reasons you move to china couldn't be further apart.

And I wouldnt lump China with rest of Asia

Japan / korea / taiwan don't really need a second thought if your offered a boat of money

Mainland china, you have to consider political climate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez said a whole bunch of absolutely nothing. Which actually means something.

He doesn't actually owe anyone an answer, but this "written offer" stuff makes me laugh. He just expects us to nod, as if we all just fell off the turnip truck. Like TFC sets the rules for how world football works.

I'd say it's now more than 50/50 that this is happening.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every team every where says the same thing about transfer rumours, regardless of what is going on. "We have received no offers for (x player)."

Apart from that, well its agent talk. An agent who has form for talking a lot. An agent who threw in right away a proviso about it being tough to get Giovinco out of Toronto.

As others have said, until Seba wants to leave, he's staying. There is no indication he wants to leave. There is no indicationa Chinese team wants to spend a bucket load on any player from outside of Europe.

And, lets be blunt here, Tevez was a Man U guy - that has HUGE cachet in China. A Juve sub who did well in Toronto - not so much. We love Giovinco but outside of MLS circles, most of the world have no idea who he is.

Chinese teams don't need foreigners to win - they need them to sell tickets. Giovinco doesn't move that needle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^So Pelle from Southampton moved the needle? Or Teixeira?

Careers are short. Guys generally follow the money. I am old enough to remember when the NASL absolutely cleaned Europe out of every guy that hit 30 - Cruyff, Beckenbauer, George Best, Chinaglia, Neeskens, Gordon Banks .... Peter Lorimer, Eusebio and Bettega here in Toronto.

Not one of these guys "wanted" to come, and most of them could've stayed in far more comfortable situations closer to home.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-25-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez said a whole bunch of absolutely nothing. Which actually means something.

He doesn't actually owe anyone an answer, but this "written offer" stuff makes me laugh. He just expects us to nod, as if we all just fell off the turnip truck. Like TFC sets the rules for how world football works.

I'd say it's now more than 50/50 that this is happening.
    I highly doubt Giovinco is going because of his family, he has good community support in Toronto and I don't think he would want to upset his family life.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^So Pelle from Southampton moved the needle? Or Teixeira?
    Teixera is an outlier - why he keeps getting contracts like that is beyond me. Pelle is about EPL cred.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teixera is an outlier - why he keeps getting contracts like that is beyond me. Pelle is about EPL cred.
    Here's a list of the overseas players. Only a small percentage "move the needle". They just make the team better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Chinese_Super_League

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected. Thanks.
    I still hope you are right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

China's offer is $21 million a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were so close to a drama-free off season. Thanks, China!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no words.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    China's offer is $21 million a year.
    Even MLSE won't match that. Unbelievable cash.