Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default There is an offer for Giovinco from China

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato...47136231.shtml

I do not have the time to translate, but the gist is that there is a big money offer from China, but his agent says it will be hard for him to leave Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Agent of Sebastian reveals: "The Chinese are very interested, but will not be easy to tear Giovinco away from Toronto"

Sebastian Giovinco is in a Chinese club's view, revealed Andrea D"Amico in an interview with Sky Sport 24 . D'Amico is the agent of the former Juventus player, who has been in Toronto for two years and is the star of the league.

"The Chinese seem very interested, but I think it will not be easy to tear him from Toronto - said Andrea D'Amico -. The Chinese have presented an important offer, we will talk with the club to see, along with Sebastian, what to do ".

Coles notes.
    Last edited by CanadaLFC; 01-24-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/agent-giovinco-has...china-1.657061

Just saw this.

China has been shopping like crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They offered Rooney 1 mil a week. Not bad. They could definitely do 7 million to Giovinco a year

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is an optics thing to think about here.

How would it look if a club from the Chinese league comes in a scoops up the MLS' top player?

I would think that MLS would want to keep him here just as much as we do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the club sells Giovinco it will be a bad day for TFC supporters, even though $500k extra under the salary cap would be received.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would they need to pay him to entice him to China, 10 million?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 is the number I have read/heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's crazy that we signed him for free (right?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    It's crazy that we signed him for free (right?).
    Yeah i believe it was a free transfer. I dont want him to go our best player ever, but ultimately if he wants to leave then let him go and use some of that transfer money on reinforcements. I really hope this is just a rumor, and no truth to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be Manning's first real test.

He's got to start working towards a more normalized salary structure. That's why he's here, and Leiweke isn't.

Seba showed signs of having chronic injury issues last year (that adductor thing that never really got better). I suspect Manning might take any deal that makes him look smart. A $5M transfer fee would probably do it.

Sigh.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we can't afford to let him go.

getting a player of gio's quality to the MLS was basically once in a generation deal. season starts at the beginning of march, we won't get anyone near his quality in by then, even with the money freed up. in fact, we would likely end up paying way over the odds for someone of much lesser quality in a panic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we let him go it has to be for real transfer money not 5 Mill. That is peanuts. You have to get 20 Million plus, and then try to use it for another young player who has quality but has not quite found his spot in Europe. BALOTELLI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't worry about the Chinese league, the FA over there is cracking down on foreign players coming to there league and after this year they go back to being irrelevant in the football market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

He's got to start working towards a more normalized salary structure. That's why he's here, and Leiweke isn't.

Seba showed signs of having chronic injury issues last year (that adductor thing that never really got better). I suspect Manning might take any deal that makes him look smart. A $5M transfer fee would probably do it.

Sigh.
    A $5M deal would be a disaster, we could get $10M pounds easy(depends if Gio lowers his wage a bit) from an EPL club, it better be an offer of $20M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh.
    I don't know where you get this impression of Manning. The one thing he's driven across is a sense of consistency with regard to coaches, tactics and players, almost to a fault.

They didn't sell Bradley when there was a 5 million bid offer was on the table. Why would they do so with Seba who is the same age and better?
    Last edited by PopePouri; 01-24-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I don't know where you get this impression of Manning. The one thing he's driven across is a sense of consistency with regard to coaches, tactics and players, almost to a fault.

They didn't sell Bradley when there was a 5 million bid offer was on the table. Why would they do so with Seba who is the same age and better?
    Colour me sceptical on that Bradley story. Not to rehash this (I made these points when that supposed story surfaced) but Bradley was making $1M in Italy. Call it $2M tax equalized. Who on earth was ever going to pay a transfer for a Bradley now making $6.5M? He hasn't exactly lit it up for the USMNT either post Italy.

The yardstick is what Boca got for Tevez.

As for Manning, where would anyone get any impression of him as a top end spender? His experience is in running a payroll constrained team. (That Peruvian kid, now that would have been a hallmark Manning-type move.) Here, Manning's playing out the assets Leiweke deployed, but hasn't really had to make major salary calls yet. I am not suggesting he won't spend at all, but Seattle spend and still had less than half the payroll TFC did.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-24-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colour me sceptical on that Bradley story. Not to rehash this (I made these points when that supposed story surfaced) but Bradley was making $1M in Italy. Call it $2M tax equalized. Who on earth was ever going to pay a transfer for a Bradley now making $6.5M? He hasn't exactly lit it up for the USMNT either post Italy.

As for Manning, where would anyone get any impression of him as a top end spender? His experience is in running a payroll constrained team. (That He's playing out the assets Leiweke deployed, but hasn't really had to make major salary calls yet. I am not suggesting he won't spend at all, but Seattle spend and still had less than half the payroll TFC did.
    I think the Italian NT factors in here. If Seba believes he still has a chance to make the team, staying in MLS seems to be the prudent course. If, on the other hand, he has given up on his NT dreams, then playing in China for mega bucks makes sense. I would hate to see him leave under these circumstances

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The yardstick for that deal is actually more of a 0.55yard stick. The numbers given out by the European press were bogus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for Manning, where would anyone get any impression of him as a top end spender? His experience is in running a payroll constrained team. (That Peruvian kid, now that would have been a hallmark Manning-type move.) Here, Manning's playing out the assets Leiweke deployed, but hasn't really had to make major salary calls yet. I am not suggesting he won't spend at all, but Seattle spend and still had less than half the payroll TFC did.
    The other factor is I seem to remember seeing somewhere the new president of MLSE (who I have no clue what his name is) is not very big on so called big money signings. Don't know how correct (or wrong) that is though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like his agent released this info just to pimp Gio a little bit. He'd never move to China.

This will blow over by tomorrow.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Seems like his agent released this info just to pimp Gio a little bit. He'd never move to China.

This will blow over by tomorrow.
    I hope so, I'm suffering too much from post tfc stress disorder. It goes like this:

1. We miss out on the cup by one pk.
    2. Giovinco leaves for China.
    3. We try to sign a good replacement, get Mista or Denilson instead.
    4. We never ever ever get so close to tasting winning the MLS cup again. Instead we go out in the first round of the playoffs.

I know it's just a fear, but things were so bad for so long, a fear of going back is always there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It's no idle fear. We were only a #3 seed. Many things went right, for us to just get to the Cup.

A lot of good teams never make the final, or go years not making the final. FCD, DCU, NYRB all spring to mind. Chicago was very good for years.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-24-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a very pessimistic view. What went right for us was that we had a superior coach and roster compared to everyone we came up against, including Seattle. That's entirely predicated on the institutional advantages we've built for ourselves. As much as most of the last 10 years have hurt, we have to continue to expect bigger and better things now that the entire club, top to bottom, has shown the ability to put together a top tier product and laid the groundwork for a dynasty.

It's quite clear the club views itself as the Galaxy of the east now in almost every aspect. If they continue to act on it, we'll be more than fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, everyone settle down. I've just sent a counter-offer to TFC for Giovinco to play on my indoor 5x5 soccer team. He's not going to Gina.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by izzyzz View Post
    Ok, everyone settle down. I've just sent a counter-offer to TFC for Giovinco to play on my indoor 5x5 soccer team. He's not going to Gina.

Regina has quite the offer on the table though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does "his agent is pimping him" possibly mean? You guys seriously think it's a bluff to get a raise? What has Gio ever done to give anyone the idea he would do that?

Why would anyone not think this is serious? They have signed dozens of guys in China for silly money the last two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does "his agent is pimping him" possibly mean? You guys seriously think it's a bluff to get a raise? What has Gio ever done to give anyone the idea he would do that?

Why would anyone not think this is serious? They have signed dozens of guys in China for silly money the last two years.

It's hard not to think it's an agent looking to renegotiate his wages. He's went public with an offer from an unknown team before any discussions with TFC or MLS have even taken place. It's strange also in the fact that Chinese clubs want to be seen as having the big money to throw at players so they make their targets known publicly. Most recent example was only last week with Tianjin Quanjian making their interest in Costa at Chelsea very public to show their intent. They did the same with Cavani at PSG but ultimately got none of them. We don't even know which club is interested in Gio. The Chinese transfer window closes in 6 days I believe, if there is any legitimate interest they'd really need to make contact with TFC and MLS asap as time is running out. I've no doubt that clubs in China would be looking at Gio, taking the best player in MLS would be a statement of intent. But in this case I see this as either a poor attempt by his agent to get more money or a stupid off the cuff comment agents make to show their players worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Regina has quite the offer on the table though.
    Fine, I'll throw in a free t-shirt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    It's hard not to think it's an agent looking to renegotiate his wages. He's went public with an offer from an unknown team before any discussions with TFC or MLS have even taken place. It's strange also in the fact that Chinese clubs want to be seen as having the big money to throw at players so they make their targets known publicly. Most recent example was only last week with Tianjin Quanjian making their interest in Costa at Chelsea very public to show their intent. They did the same with Cavani at PSG but ultimately got none of them. We don't even know which club is interested in Gio. The Chinese transfer window closes in 6 days I believe, if there is any legitimate interest they'd really need to make contact with TFC and MLS asap as time is running out. I've no doubt that clubs in China would be looking at Gio, taking the best player in MLS would be a statement of intent. But in this case I see this as either a poor attempt by his agent to get more money or a stupid off the cuff comment agents make to show their players worth.
    I think that may be wishful thinking. The "stickiness" of an elite player at Chelsea or PSG is not comparable to the "stickiness" of a decent player at Toronto FC.

The Chinese deal entirely with the player, they let the player negotiate with the club.

We'll know soon enough.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-25-2017 at 09:33 AM.