Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    Nice to see Danny land somewhere, though too bad it had to be the Impact :-)
    They listed him as a defender - if they want to put him back there I'm okay with that.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch Lovitz torch TFC somehow... I still remember Dan Gargan scoring on us when he played for Chicago. Dan Freaking Gargan
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry to the Galaxy? Who knows, maybe it's true. Although I don't see how Terry helps sell tickets.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ment-_-TWITTER
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Rumor

Zlatan Ibrahimovic offered LA Galaxy move to become highest-paid player in MLS history

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been offered the chance of a mega million pound move to LA Galaxy and end his spell at Manchester United after one season.
    Last edited by DOMIN8R; 03-08-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add Rumor
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    Not a flashy player but I rate McInerney as a useful MLS forward. For a 24-year-old, it feels like the guy has been around forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxy will spend big on their third DP this summer. They know they need a big name coming in to take some of the shine off LAFC coming in next year. I'm betting both Chicarito and Ibra are in LA by the summer of 2018, not sure who goes where though.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Watch Lovitz torch TFC somehow... I still remember Dan Gargan scoring on us when he played for Chicago. Dan Freaking Gargan
    Our ex players have often been our downfall - ala Stefan Frei.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dallas is paying out a share of their transfer fee received on the Castillo deal (and all future sales) to SSHs... but wait until you read what the amount is!...

http://www.totalmls.net/blog/2017/3/...ticket-members
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Dallas is paying out a share of their transfer fee received on the Castillo deal (and all future sales) to SSHs... but wait until you read what the amount is!...

http://www.totalmls.net/blog/2017/3/...ticket-members
    I'd call it a token amount but I think tokens actually cost more than that these days...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charlieocc View Post
    Only way I could see this making any on-field sense is if they're planning on lining up similar to how the impact do. bunkering with three dm's and hoping to spray balls out to the wings. I think that could work honestly.

If not, this move is a colossal mistake.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's one less team to worry about in the East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class player but very early into his career at Utd it was very clear he was done. Not an old player but a bit like Rooney in that sense, their bodies just don't have it anymore, injuries, wear and tear etc.One of the best mids of his generation no doubt, but finished now and I was hoping the league was moving away from these types of deals. His passing is still crisp, maybe have him as the deepest lying mid with a box to box and an attacking mid in a 3. I don't know if Chicago even have those types of players. His injury problems would be a big concern for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is 32, which is not exactly elderly, but with his injury history I doubt he plays more than 5 games in a row. Seems like they are purchasing Schweini's considerable reputation and a minor PR bump, and that makes it an old style DP signing. Slight improvement on past deals in that it's a one year deal so at least they aren't tied to a humongous contract. He might provide some leadership but that's dependent on his commitment. I dunno, the odds are not good for this working to Chicago's advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had this been 5 years ago the Schweinsteiger transfer would have terrified me. Now not so much. I'm sure he would still be a threat on free kicks but other than that no worries there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Schweinsteiger can probably still play in this league. He isn't 36. Mourinho has reflexively tormented a stud player upon arrival at every stop, just to show who is boss, it's part of his gameplan.

The rush to judgment about how dumb this is, here and elsewhere, surprises me.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that Schweinie has a great year, and goes back to a big club in the January window.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good read by Will Parchman on what the discussion of the Schweinsteiger trade says about people discussing North American soccer and what tactically this does to Chicago.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...chweinsteiger/
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-22-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That feels to me like an overheated way of saying: Pirlo isn't great, so it doesn't work anymore. Which is why I pointed out that Schweinsteiger isn't 36.

Also the elaborate agonies re formations always drives me nuts. Play your best XI. He's in the middle there, somewhere.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Class player on decline still worthy of DP status. Popularity vs present quality of player is now the norm when one of his level comes to MLS.

There will be minds lost over it. None here I would hope.

It's good for the league. Glad we got a player on the rise and less famous.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am only engaged because I don't like what Mourinho did to Schweinsteiger (or Casillas, or Ramos, or de Bruyne, or a dozen others).

I feel that these players unfairly wind up with a taint for no legit reason, and only because the media let Mourinho get away with it, because they like the headlines. Sort of a Trump effect, in sports.

I also think it's easy in matters like this to bet against the crowd! Not making the first team at Manchester United is not evidence that you've lost it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Also the elaborate agonies re formations always drives me nuts. Play your best XI. He's in the middle there, somewhere.
    Doesn't work like that in a cap based league; to spend that much cap space & TAM on 3 DM's makes no sense.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-22-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ so, you'd agree with the authors assertions? I kind of feel like he piggonholes a bunch of guys on the fire's roster and Schweinsteiger in the interest of suiting his argument.

I think he's also jumped the gun on "it's not 2009, MLS is good now!" shit. There are still many older players who can contribute here. Heck, if a crocked, half-chubby, party boy Ronaldinho can rediscover this magic in his 30s playing for Mineiro in Brazil, having someone who is far more professional come in to MLS and make an impact isn't at all a stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was on the decline under LVG. A big part of Mourhino's treatment of him is due to his attitude in LVGs last season. While injured he was following his missus around the tennis tour instead of working on his recovery. Which supposedly pissed off a lot of the dressing room.

A section of United fans call him Fat Basti....

Buyer beware

And he aint gonna be going back to any bigger clubs in January either.

"MUFC will be my last club in Europe," he wrote in a statement posted via his official Twitter account. "I respect other clubs, but Manchester United was the only one which could make me leave Bayern Munich"

Last edited by Areathrasher; 03-22-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they sign Alseth, however, it looks like he had given up on a soccer career by securing a job at a bank back home in Norway. Therefore, if TFC had not drafted him he would have been done with trying to become a pro soccer player, I find this strange. Why did he not try making it in Norway they have a decent soccer league over there. I mean we have had Canadian kids who have left Canada and have played in Norway even in Norway's lower leagues, meanwhile this guy who played his youth soccer for one of Norway's top teams in their academy was now back in Norway and was giving up on a soccer career and not trying his luck with the many Norwegian pro teams. However, TFC calls and he is now back in soccer, I find this strange, or is it that he was not good enough to make any Norwegian pro teams? ( just realized I put this in the wrong thread)
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 03-22-2017 at 11:43 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    So they sign Alseth, however, it looks like he had given up on a soccer career by securing a job at a bank back home in Norway. Therefore, if TFC had not drafted him he would have been done with trying to become a pro soccer player, I find this strange. Why did he not try making it in Norway they have a decent soccer league over there. I mean we have had Canadian kids who have left Canada and have played in Norway even in Norway's lower leagues, meanwhile this guy who played his youth soccer for one of Norway's top teams in their academy was now back in Norway and was giving up on a soccer career and not trying his luck with the many Norwegian pro teams. However, TFC calls and he is now back in soccer, I find this strange, or is it that he was not good enough to make any Norwegian pro teams? ( just realized I put this in the wrong thread)
    I don't know much about the Norwegian system, but I bet it's similar to many other European & other footy-mad countries. Most players have to decide fairly early if they will try to go the pro route, continuing through the youth development system, and most probably not going to university or other professional training. If the pro footy route fails (as it does for the majority trying to find their way through), then they probably are behind a few years in terms of a normal professional career route. Maybe they're starting university late; or they first have to upgrade their school diploma to even have a chance at university; or they're starting an apprenticeship or other training & career later than most.

Alseth tried a different route, via a US college. From the blurbs it seems he did pretty well in collegiate soccer except in his senior year; he got his finance degree; but dropped down the draft order partly due to a bad last year. At that low draft position, MLS pro contracts are very rare. So after waiting a half year after his college graduation, he did the smart thing and got a banking job back home. After spending more than 4 years in the US, and the frequent low opinions of Europeans towards NCAA & MLS, I think his visibility and chances for pro footy in Norway would be pretty low, compared with other players who hung around. Who knows, maybe he planned to try out at least with Norwegian semi-pro teams once he had his banking job. But if he wasn't offered a contract there that he liked right after coming out of the prestigious Rosenborg BK system, why should somebody necessarily offer him a good contract now?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I like the Alseth story. I can't spell his name, but I have decided he is our own Norwegian Jamie Vardy.

You know the joke about the difference between the economist and the businessman? The businessman and the economist are walking to lunch, and on the way, the businessman looks down and exclaims "hey, that's a 20 dollar bill on the sidewalk!" The economist says "It can't be. Somebody would have come along and picked it up already"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Report: Everton linked with $4 million swoop for Canada’s Larin

The Sun only hits on a few of the many transfer rumors it tosses around, but this one bears a second look for fans of Everton, MLS, and Canada.

Everton is already eyeing replacements for Romelu Lukaku, according to the report, and is hunting for a bargain in Canadian national teamer Cyle Larin.

Larin, 21, was the first overall pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft by Orlando City SC after an electric career at UConn.

He’s since scored 35 goals in 63 matches for the Lions, picking up three in his first two matches of the 2017 season. The 6-foot-1 Ontario native has five goals for Canada in 19 caps.

The Sun says Larin would cost close to $4 million, a fraction of what the Toffees will get if they sell Lukaku.
    http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/03/...canadas-larin/
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any fan of Everton who is looking at the Sun for transfer rumours does not live in Liverpool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something tells me at the pace he's going Larin won't be much of a bargain (as much as most MLS strikers who transferred have done SFA in Europe).

$4 million sounds too cheap considering the interest he's generating.