Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Hmmm....don't think I agree with the statement that "trophies don't matter".
    How do you breed a winning mentality that will translate youth players mindsets if they make it to the first team? Losing has never developed players into winners. While I do understand that these levels are for development, I do know that FC Dallas' academy has been winning for years and they have been consistently reaping the benefits with homegrowns signings. I believe this has a direct correlation to the winning mentality that is/was seen from U16 to the first team.

All in all...don't undermine the breeding ground for a winning mentality.
    Sorry but that typical North American REP team mentality way of thinking,winning over development doesn't work,otherwise Canada would be on every WC since '86.

As a father from a boy who was part of TFC academy, I'm telling you that TFCA philosophy was adopted from Dutch football association.

This was adopted by TFC few years back and result are showing already. The idea of all teams playing same system so in case of call ups boys will know exactly what to do,results are secondary for all academy teams(except B team or TFC II),since academy purpose is to develop individual player not winning team,club has no use of winning teams if no good individual player comes out of it.

The prime objective of the academy is to create footballers, which leaves actual match results of lesser importance. With proper training and education the boys will win the matches, but only under the playing philosophy of the club.

and as you can see bellow not only Dutch work like that

At the Liverpool academy the emphasis focuses on technique, attitude, balance and speed; the same principles that shape the first-team squad. Part of The Liverpool Way is the constant reminder that teamwork is more of a priority than winning matches. Much like the world’s famed academies, the philosophy has to be about producing players of the competitive and creative ilk to be technically, physically, tactically, and mentally ready for the rigours of the professional game.

the German model of youth development. The philosophy of player-development at Bayern Munich, is “two each year for the first team, two for the league, and two for the rest of German football”. And you find similar aims across the top Bundesliga clubs.

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning has indicated that he wants to see TFCII winning. I think that there has to be some success to have the boys keep playing to their potential. Getting blown out every game is not good for morale, and that doesn't help you develop. This is why I don't really mind the twonies signing guys from other countries - you learn from your peers as well as your coaches.

As for TFCIII, exposure and game minutes are what counts most. As a fan, though, I would love to see silverware to go along with that... :-)
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The U17 academy team is playing the U17 Red Bulls now in the Generation Adidas Cup. Second game for them, they lost their first 2-1 to Club Tijuana. There's a stream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrObWJD2Mfk
    Whomever the kid was playing goal vs NYRB... ugly performance, hard to watch. Just crazy errors even at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC III play their 2nd group game today vs Eintracht Frankfurt (no stream).
    Game moved to tomorrow due to crappy weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-a...0714-preview-1

11 Toronto FC academy players selected to Canada's 20-man squad for the U17 CONCACAF Championship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hundal seems to have no problem scoring no matter the level of competition or opponent. Interesting one to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Hundal seems to have no problem scoring no matter the level of competition or opponent. Interesting one to watch.
    And he's almost always doing it playing against older players. He's 17 yet scored with the U20s at the CONCACAF Championship, two goals at the Viareggio Cup which is U19, now 3 goals at the Dallas Cup which is also U19. And obviously six goals last year in USL, 3 of them while he was still 16.

He keeps this up and I won't even be that bummed if we do lose Akinola.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC III tied 1-1 with Eintracht Frankfurt in the Dallas Cup. They have 4 points now, as do Tigres, and they play each other tomorrow. Winner moves onto the knockout rounds, with a slight chance of the loser also moving on if they are the best 2nd place team out of the groups according to tiebreakers and whatnot.

In GA Cup, the U17s drew Estudiantes 3-3 before getting the win 5-4 on penalties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-a...0714-preview-1

11 Toronto FC academy players selected to Canada's 20-man squad for the U17 CONCACAF Championship.
    Are any of these guys at the GA Cup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    yes...most of them were in that shoot out win today,i think there is stream of the game on the mls page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Yup, every one of them I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Academy teams roundup:

TFC III lost 2-0 to Tigres in their last group stage match and are out of the Dallas Cup. They'll play one more friendly before leaving.

U17s had one draw (winning on penalties) and two losses in their group of the GA Cup. They played an extra friendly against the Colorado Rapids academy and won 2-1.

The U12 team is also at the GA Cup. They lost their first group match to Orlando City 4-2, won the second 2-1 over Portland, and today won their third 3-0 over Colorado and the fourth 4-0 over D.C. United. I believe they will finish second in their group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ayo Akinola included in the U.S. U17 squad for the U17 CONCACAF Championship, as expected.

Tournament begins on Friday. Top 4 teams qualify for the U17 World Cup. Canada last qualified in 2013.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC II at Ottawa Fury just started, stream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rrY1qCtyVg

We have a Jordan Hamilton sighting:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why no Akim Andrews not even on the bench, liked what I saw from him in preseason with the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC II tied Ottawa 0-0. Not too much created in attack by TFC II, but they defended reasonably well. Ottawa hit the post on a softly awarded penalty in the 82nd minute. Before the penalty was taken there was some shoving going on and one of the Ottawa players punched Taintor in the face and got a red card. We couldn't do anything with the man advantage though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U17s lose 2-1 to Costa Rica in their opener of the U17 CONCACAF Championship. Costa Rica went up 1-0, Rocco Romeo tied it 1-1 on a corner kick, but then he got a red card after lightly tapping a Costa Rica player on the cheek and that player going down and selling it for the ref. They scored the winner in the 94th minute. There's a learning experience...

Despite the loss, the U17s are in decent shape. Cuba and Suriname tied in their match, so if Canada beats them both they'll move on.

From a TFC perspective, 7 of the starting 11 were from TFC academy. The team's best players are probably Romeo and Luca Petrasso, both of TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightly tapping on the cheek is just stupid in a CONCACAF game. Don't do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the red card and the goal:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola with an assist and two goals in the opener for the U.S. U17s:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too bad he probs never signs with tfc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, but as long as he's with the club I'll keep updating on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tfc were to cute with him,they should of signed him to a 1st team contract when they the chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    tfc were to cute with him,they should of signed him to a 1st team contract when they the chance.
    I don't think so, we offered him a Homegrown deal when he was still 16. Can't really try to lock him down any earlier than that. If he wants to go to Europe, he wants to go to Europe, not much you can do about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so, we offered him a Homegrown deal when he was still 16. Can't really try to lock him down any earlier than that. If he wants to go to Europe, he wants to go to Europe, not much you can do about it.
    if hes not playing for canada and not for tfc, then I hope his total failure Im petty like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As pointed out by Rollins on Twitter - TFC II is last in USL in average attendance: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-M-M9lWsAAevB7.jpg

As shown, pretty much all the MLS reserve clubs struggle, but we're especially bad. Move the team to Lamport? The field in Vaughan technically doesn't meet the stadium size requirements for Division 2 as set by the USSF (5000 seat capacity) but we pass because we have the option of playing at BMO Field, even though we usually don't. The bigger issue is Vaughan is just really out of the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As pointed out by Rollins on Twitter - TFC II is last in USL in average attendance: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-M-M9lWsAAevB7.jpg

As shown, pretty much all the MLS reserve clubs struggle, but we're especially bad. Move the team to Lamport? The field in Vaughan technically doesn't meet the stadium size requirements for Division 2 as set by the USSF (5000 seat capacity) but we pass because we have the option of playing at BMO Field, even though we usually don't. The bigger issue is Vaughan is just really out of the way.

Yup.I don't drive so no way in hell am I spending 3-4hrs on transit there and back to see a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My local children's park would be a better location

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that podcast, Manning sounded less than enamoured when it came to TFCII and that particular stadium.