Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    have felt this way for a while though on paper it's prob not possible felt we would find a way to make it happen
    I put my theory in the main speculation thread
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    God the media coverage of the draft is lame. These guys basically compare the pre draft mock drafts with actual results, declare "winners" and "losers"... whatever.

There is always a fascinating discussion around approach/strategy, and that is even more interesting, now that the allocation dollars are being publicized. The bookends are what TFC did, compared to what NYCFC did. The focus on our trade of the picks in isolation isn't quite right - the fact that the kids are better than Reid or Shome is kind of meaningless. Later picks are lottery tickets, and nobody needs to draft journeymen. We can get them via USL anytime.

Are any of our better kids as good as Jonathan Lewis? Will Lewis be that good? That's the real question.

NYCFC spent $325K to move up and get guys, we made $75K by passing. So we're $400K in TAM ahead of them, but the average lifespan of veteran guys you spend $400K of TAM is what, 2 years? Whereas a good top pick, if he makes it (big IF), gets you 7,8, 10 years. It's better team building, but it requires a lot of patience.

There is always a business bias towards what TFC is doing, ie using the TAM on veterans, they help you win now (unless it's Kantari!) and the marketing department makes a lot more use of the $400K spent on a decent international player, vs a similar amount on some unknown US collegiate draft pick.

There is no one right way to do this. I think I like what NYCFC did, philosophically anyway.. it sure worked well for them with Harrison. But of course NYCFC don't have an Academy pipeline ...

I'm probably scarred forever by us having traded a top 5 pick that turned into Zack Loyd, for 20 games of Adrian Serioux, the Hassli deal, trading the Farrell pick for Bekker....

I have learned to respect moves for the high picks. I hope one of the kids really is the equivalent of a top 5 pick, otherwise the cupboard will be bare when the DPs are gone in a couple of years. We will not be getting this level of elite DP as replacements.
    I think NYCFC's moves with more a need than preference due to their shorter history and lack of youth infrastructure. They were also in the unique situation of having sold Poku for a boat load of allocation as well.

The most logical set up would be LA's, Seattle's, NYRB, or our level of infrastructure where there is a definitive pyramid/path to pro and a thriving academy. We are only now realizing the full potential where LA, NY and Seattle have been benefiting for the past couple of years. It shows with the results: Every season, They are able to put out a deep and competitive squad.

If you had to ask Patrick Viera who comes from Manchester City who invests heavily in youth, he would say it's a no-brainer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I put my theory in the main speculation thread
    Saw that. Makes sense, remember someone else saying that we've see LA get a pass in the past and I wouldn't be surprised to see us get similar favours

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SuperDraft is back at it today. Wonder what a 3rd round round pick or two are worth in trade, maybe 10-15K in GAM or TAM, who knows?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you'll see a lot of teams simply passing on their picks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pick up Chirs Nanco for TFCII?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Pick up Chirs Nanco for TFCII?

I'd like having Nanco, but we're pretty stacked at the FWD position in terms of players you'd want to give game time. Hundal, Malik Johnson, Akinola (if he signs and is loaned back down) .. the new signing from late last year, Ricardo John, has also looked very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCD have taken Nanco

TFC have taken someone by the name of Robert Moewes according to this http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2017/tracker?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm _content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

A German GK apparently.

And this fella Oyvind Alseth
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-17-2017 at 02:24 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCD have taken Nanco

TFC have taken someone by the name of Robert Moewes according to this http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2017/tracker?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm _content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

A German GK apparently.

I get the feeling the draft was done in rapid fire sequence for real and it's being posted to the website after the fact. They have some picks up but not all.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCD have taken Nanco

A German GK apparently.

Was beginning to wonder if Bez would be drafting only Nordic, Northern European guys this draft, but he does end it with Juan Pablo Saavedra. Two Virginians to end the draft.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Was beginning to wonder if Bez would be drafting only Nordic, Northern European guys this draft, but he does end it with Juan Pablo Saavedra. Two Virginians to end the draft.
    Yep and it was done all in about 20 or so minutes. Welcome to Toronto Juan Pablo if you ever make it here.
    http://www.hokiesports.com/msoccer/p...juanpablo.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to tfc 2.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Not sure how Macklemore is as a footballer.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the keeper is probs the starter at tfc2 unless they re sign Roberts.