Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginning to look like MLS & USSF caved on this one - another reason why having Victor M as CONCACAF head honcho is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah clearly something bigger than what they made it seem happened

So if your a 25 yr old CDN playing professionally in norway, u can go through the draft and now your domestic to US teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    yah clearly something bigger than what they made it seem happened

So if your a 25 yr old CDN playing professionally in norway, u can go through the draft and now your domestic to US teams?
    Doubt it.

I'm guessing it's this

or that have met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club will count as a domestic player for all MLS clubs
    2 of the lads are Sigma products so I'm guessing Sigma is an approved youth club. Not sure about that Wright fella.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Doubt it.

I'm guessing it's this

2 of the lads are Sigma products so I'm guessing Sigma is an approved youth club. Not sure about that Wright fella.
    he was playing at FC Edmonton, he is a professional soccer player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Presumably from the hundreds of millions of dollars in expansion fees and other revenue streams the league generates every year. The fee would have been tiny. less than 100k, maybe less than 50k.

and they Probably got him because the league values getting in good talent in general, preferably young, irregardless of their nationality. If they wanted to only benefit the USMNT they wouldn't have allowed Canadian teams in.

The eddies seem really excited by this, It seems to be more than pennies that they sold him for
    “It benefits Shamit incredibly, and it also benefits the club and, in particular, our academy,” said Paulus. “If this can become the norm for us every couple of years, the Academy will continue to grow and reward Tom and Dave Fath for their continuing support of this program.”
    http://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-sells-shome-to-mls-owner-thrilled-with-breakthrough-agreement/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a list of players approved by the league from which your allowed to draft. It includes all graduating NCAA players, GA's and select foreign amateurs invited by the league. Underclassmen and other foreign amateurs have to either be nominated by a club to the league and be approved before the draft or apply to the league themselves. I don't think anything has changed with regards to the ability of Canadians to apply for the draft, nor has a teams ability to nominate a player to the list changed. It's just more likely for them to get recognized, and therefore drafted, now that they're given the same rights American's entering the league.

I'm 99% sure signing a professional contract makes you automatically ineligible for the draft but I can't find a source that bares that out specifically. I can't recall an instance of a player of any nationality playing professionally abroad who came back and went through the draft.

RE Shome: I'd imagine Edmonton are more happy about the exposure for their Academy than the fee. He wasn't on a professional contract so there's not a lot they could have negotiated for him.

Edit: ugh, conflicting and non specific reports on whether he was actually on a full pro contract. So perhaps he was and I'm wrong. I hate sports journalists.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-12-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    he was playing at FC Edmonton, he is a professional soccer player
    I thought y'all were talking about the three other Canadian draftees at the combine. It was announced that they would be domestic too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a list of players approved by the league from which your allowed to draft. It includes all graduating NCAA players, GA's and select foreign amateurs invited by the league. Underclassmen and other foreign amateurs have to either be nominated by a club to the league and be approved before the draft or apply to the league themselves. I don't think anything has changed with regards to the ability of Canadians to apply for the draft, nor has a teams ability to nominate a player to the list changed. It's just more likely for them to get recognized, and therefore drafted, now that they're given the same rights American's entering the league.

I'm 99% sure signing a professional contract makes you automatically ineligible for the draft but I can't find a source that bares that out specifically. I can't recall an instance of a player of any nationality playing professionally abroad who came back and went through the draft.
    There are always a few guys at the combine that have played pro. A couple of Argies last year. That Dom Oduro fella that is currently at the combine has played pro in Denmark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are always a few guys at the combine that have played pro. A couple of Argies last year. That Dom Oduro fella that is currently at the combine has played pro in Denmark.

for the purposes of the draft I wouldn't usually equate previously playing pro with having signed a professional contract but in this case you're right. I don't know how he's eligible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the purposes of the draft I wouldn't usually equate previously playing pro with having signed a professional contract but in this case you're right. I don't know how he's eligible.
    The MLS signs them to a league contract and then throws them in the draft. It has happened before ie Joao Plata, John Rooney etc. To go even further Plata was on loan to the league and as result fell to the fourth round where Toronto selected him. As we all know the Reds payed a 500K transfer fee for him after his first season with the club.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't there a few other Ecuadorians from LDU Quito in that draft? Chivas USA took one with the first overall pick?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought y'all were talking about the three other Canadian draftees at the combine. It was announced that they would be domestic too.
    I'm pretty sure Nanco, Wright and Awuah are not considered Domestics to US Clubs

While they will sign their first professional contract with MLS or an MLS USL Club (Requirement #1) , they did not become a member of an MLS Club Academy or Canadian Approved Youth Club prior to the year which they turned 16 (Requirement #2).

My Guess is Nanco was with
    Sigma FC Academy, and that is not a Canadian Approved Youth Club. If it is, then he will be a Domestic Player
    Wright was with Vermont in College, and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)
    Awuah was with Connecuit
    , and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)

Maybe someone will prove me wrong, if any of the above information is incorrect, or can add to where they played when they were 15, (turning 16)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Molenshtan said.

We will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg_Sims View Post
    I'm pretty sure Nanco, Wright and Awuah are not considered Domestics to US Clubs

While they will sign their first professional contract with MLS or an MLS USL Club (Requirement #1) , they did not become a member of an MLS Club Academy or Canadian Approved Youth Club prior to the year which they turned 16 (Requirement #2).

My Guess is Nanco was with
    Sigma FC Academy, and that is not a Canadian Approved Youth Club. If it is, then he will be a Domestic Player
    Wright was with Vermont in College, and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)
    Awuah was with Connecuit
    , and didnt play with a MLS Club Academy (I dont believe, before going to college)

Maybe someone will prove me wrong, if any of the above information is incorrect, or can add to where they played when they were 15, (turning 16)

If Sam Stejskal's report is correct, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sigma has been approved.

Nanco and Awuah are Sigma products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Sam Stejskal's report is correct, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sigma has been approved.

I would guess Sigma is considered a Youth Academy.
    Its only fair that if An American is Canadian Domestic, then should be vice versa...
    I dont know how that helps US Soccer then... as it will bring in all kids in Canada as available...
    I also see Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto using the Home Grown more now to keep any local kids before they go to college, where as before they knew they would either not be drafted or taken later rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont see anybody they draft making the 18 at all this season.tfc 2 players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i dont see anybody they draft making the 18 at all this season.tfc 2 players.
    I agree. If I'm reading your punctuation correctly. Any draft would be considered a boom crop if more than 2 or 3 starters come from the draft. As it should be IMO with different resources to choose from.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma should be, they have quite a track record for a private academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

things i hate about this league has always included the draft, but these tiny work a-rounds or loop holes are just silly.

dump the draft and call it a lottery for cheap players

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alexi Lalas

Followed by the Loons President

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every year I am reminded how I have no life simply by the fact that I actually live stream this darn thing.

Especially as this has become a glorified USL draft.

On another, note - via Kurt Larson

I want this ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Minnesota's.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird. Those balls are better than the flagy ones.

So many thank yous from number one.

Sorry can't watch any more thank yous.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-13-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Every year I am reminded how I have no life simply by the fact that I actually live stream this darn thing.

Especially as this has become a glorified USL draft.

On another, note - via Kurt Larson

I want this ball.

It's the Darth Maul ball.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to have the actual type and amount of allocation traded being announced (for pick 3). A move towards transparency that should be applauded.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel sorry for Lalas Abubaker. Instead of being drafted by a nice place, he has to go to Columbus.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$250K for a college kid?

I suppose because he's Generation Adidas he's cheap but still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    $250K for a college kid?

I suppose because he's Generation Adidas he's cheap but still.
    i thought the same,

i guess 250k for a cap free hit makes sense over 3/4 years

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Nice to have the actual type and amount of allocation traded being announced (for pick 3). A move towards transparency that should be applauded.
    That's one of the most interesting aspects out of this draft. I believe when Garber announced the $250 it was the first time the actually amount was ever acknowledged in any trade. The types have been announced before including the infamous TAM for GAM trade, good to see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!