Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Canadians signed under GA contracts

• MF Shamit Shome* (FC Edmonton & Canada U-20 int'l; 26 appearances in NASL in 2016)
    • FW Adonijah Reid* (ANB Futbol; made Canada youth national team debut as 14 yr old)

Both will be long gone before TFC's turn comes up. Hopefully they find teams willing to give them meaningful minutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am assuming both Canadian kids are considered international for US teams, so I think Vancouver and Montreal will be all over these kids. If not, then TFC will have a chance to draft one of them especially if they move up in the draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GA Canada players are supposed to count as domestic players for American teams.

The new Generation adidas Canada program will mirror the existing Generation adidas program, through which MLS annually signs a handful of top collegiate underclassmen and youth national team players and places them in the SuperDraft each January. Generation adidas Canada will see MLS and the CSA work together to identify top Canadian talent and sign them to GA contracts, with the signed players made available to all MLS clubs through the SuperDraft.
    The new roster classification parameters will allow qualifying Canadian players to count as domestic players on the rosters of US-based MLS clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone figure out if Irwin's injury time off was enough to drop him below the 75%, or did it require some of the matches Bono started in place of him when he returned? Lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono started 15 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bono started 15 games.
    Ok, we didn't fudge his starts to get him under the 75%....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irwin played 19 out of 34 games. So below 75%. Looks like Colorado gets nothing?

TFC actually has a late 1st round and 2 early 2nd round, be nice if they can pull a reverse Kevin Pain and package these 3 to move up to early 1st round to get a shot at the Canadian GAs

TFC has these Picks:
    Round 1
    21. Toronto

Round 2
    4. Toronto (from Houston)
    Toronto FC will receive Houston's highest 2017 Round 2 pick to be determined 24 hours prior to the SuperDraft. Should Houston receive additional 2017 Round 1 or Round 2 picks, those picks are encumbered by this trade. (via a trade on 3/2/16)
    5. Toronto (from Montreal (from Columbus))
    Montreal will receive Columbus' highest 2017 Round 2 pick to be determined 24 hours prior to the SuperDraft. (via a trade on 6/20/16)
    Toronto FC will receive Montreal's highest 2017 Round 2 pick to be determined 24 hours prior to the SuperDraft. (via a trade on 7/20/16)

Round 3
    8. Toronto FC (from Orlando on 12/21/2015)
    If Joe Bendik starts in 75% of 2016 League Season games, then Toronto FC will receive Orlando City SC’s 2017 natural Round 3 pick instead of their natural Round 4 pick.
    21. Toronto FC

Picks Traded away

21. D.C. United (from Portland (from Toronto FC))
    Portland received a conditional 2017 Round 2 pick from Toronto FC. (via a trade on 12/18/15)
    D.C. United receive Portland's 2017 Round 2 pick. (via a trade on 12/12/16)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the amount of picks we have in the late first/early second round, i think we get either Awauh or Nanco or both.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 01-05-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/0...uperdraft-v1-0

MLS mock draft has us taking Colton Storm at #21, a RB.

As usual with later picks I have no idea who we should take, but I do think we will avoid forwards. A RB would give us a backup to Beitashour, but also fills a need at TFC II. CBs and midfielders for TFC II are also needed. I'll be surprised if we take any forwards as Ricketts, Hamilton and Babouli are plenty of depth at the senior level, and at USL we have a glut of strikers needing minutes (Shaan Hundal, Malik Johnson, Ricardo John, and Ayo Akinola and Ben Spencer if they sign).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colton Storm will be logical I guess we need a backup to Beitashour iN the second I can see us trying to get a CB If they are still available then get Nanco or Awauh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the MLS draft is so hit and miss these days mostly miss,,i say draft the best player avail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt they draft for positional need but rather a Simonen/Endoh style potential pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.americansocceranalysis.co...layer-profiles

Decent overview of the draft class here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How funny would it be if TFC (or Montreal) picks Dominic Oduro? RB/RM. Fits their need nicely. Ex-Man City academy player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nanco will be there in Round 2 pick(s).

Guys I like,
    Any of the Defenders - Robinson, Dunk, Storm (With First Round Pick)

Then with 2 2nd Rounders, take two of the three Canadians list below:
    Reid, Nanco, Wright, (I think Reid will be taken top 10 though)

My Wishlist for TFC in this draft:
    Bench Defense Backup/Replacement, or TFCII Defender (Robinson, Dunk, Storm)
    Wingers (Nanco, Reid)
    Poacher Attacker (Wright)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/0...uperdraft-v1-0

MLS mock draft has us taking Colton Storm at #21, a RB.

As usual with later picks I have no idea who we should take, but I do think we will avoid forwards. A RB would give us a backup to Beitashour, but also fills a need at TFC II. CBs and midfielders for TFC II are also needed. I'll be surprised if we take any forwards as Ricketts, Hamilton and Babouli are plenty of depth at the senior level, and at USL we have a glut of strikers needing minutes (Shaan Hundal, Malik Johnson, Ricardo John, and Ayo Akinola and Ben Spencer if they sign).

Please don't pick Colton Storm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're in the part of the draft that's a crapshoot. Just take best player and hope for the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They'll simply take the best players available at that point in their picks and see how they pan out in training. Then they'll see how their spring roster handles the schedule before dipping their hand in the transfer market in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does shamit go through the draft?

Why doesnt he just sign with a team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Why does shamit go through the draft?

Why doesnt he just sign with a team?
    Probably because he signed a contract with the league and the league is drafting out his rights. Not sure what his contract situation was in Edmonton but the league probably had to pay a fee for him. Makes more sense for teams to go after him through the draft where he'll be GA and you won't have to pay a cap hit for the fee Edmonton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Probably because he signed a contract with the league and the league is drafting out his rights. Not sure what his contract situation was in Edmonton but the league probably had to pay a fee for him. Makes more sense for teams to go after him through the draft where he'll be GA and you won't have to pay a cap hit for the fee Edmonton.
    why would the league want this? hes cdn, there is no benefit to USMNT.
    If the league paid the fee, where are those funds coming from?

MLS rules are so confusing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Couple articles about the GA, and Canadians going forward:

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer...canada-created

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...ment-taskforce

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/sites/...0Players_0.pdf

Roberts, Manella, and Hamilton all Domestic to US Teams now...

Interesting:
    Under the new rules announced on Wednesday, Canadian players that qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy or that have met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club will count as a domestic player for all MLS clubs, provided that:

• The player became a member of an MLS club academy or Canadian Approved Youth Club in the year prior to the year in which he turns 16;

AND

• The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS USL affiliate club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe if Player is between 16-20 this is why they become GA, so they can be granted domestic to all teams and not just Canadian teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Presumably from the hundreds of millions of dollars in expansion fees and other revenue streams the league generates every year. The fee would have been tiny. less than 100k, maybe less than 50k.

and they Probably got him because the league values getting in good talent in general, preferably young, irregardless of their nationality. If they wanted to only benefit the USMNT they wouldn't have allowed Canadian teams in.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-11-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Presumably from the hundreds of millions of dollars in expansion fees and other revenue streams the league generates every year. The fee would have been tiny. less than 100k, maybe less than 50k.

and they Probably got him because the league values getting in good talent in general, preferably young, irregardless of their nationality. If they wanted to only benefit the USMNT they wouldn't have allowed Canadian teams in.

yah but GA was made for that purpose
    Generation Adidas is a joint venture between Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer aimed at raising the level of young professional soccer talent in the United States.

The only way i see this making sense is if mulitple MLS teams saw the talent, wanted him but he wanted more money than basic pay
    GA allows you to pay more without taking the cap hit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah but GA was made for that purpose
    Generation Adidas is a joint venture between Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer aimed at raising the level of young professional soccer talent in the United States.

The only way i see this making sense is if mulitple MLS teams saw the talent, wanted him but he wanted more money than basic pay
    GA allows you to pay more without taking the cap hit
    When they changed the international designation of Canadian Homegrowns to domestics last month they also gave the same rights to Canadians coming through the draft. There's five other canadians in the draft who will also qualify as domestics if they get picked. I guess they figured if you do one you might as well do the other.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when they changed the international designation of canadian homegrowns to domestics last month they also gave the same rights to canadians coming through the draft. There's five other canadians in the draft who will also qualify as domestics if they get picked. I guess they figured if you do one you might as well do the other.
    source?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    source?
    Sam Stejskal, per twitter.