Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    So why did they scrap the group stage, if it works for UEFA why not CONCACAF?
    For the small teams in smaller countries, the travel was very expensive for not much return. Can you imagine the cost for a team from El Salvador to go to Seattle?

This way, the non-Champions and the Caribbean teams play within a smaller geographic boundary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If the CSA was smart, they would play the Voyageurs this season indicating that if any other team then Toronto wins, they will play Toronto in a one off game to see who goes to the CCL in 2018. Home game at the 2017 winner.

The TV on that would be big.
    Good idea, but not sure why this would be necessary since Toronto FC has already qualified for the 2017-18 tournament. And the winner of this year’s Canadian Championship (2017) qualifies for the 2018-19 edition.

Additionally, CONCACAF has already listed Toronto FC as the Canadian representative for 2017-18. So if you were to change it, then you might need CONCACAF’s approval too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What they should do is make the the 2018 VCup Champion the team that goes to the 2018-19 tournament. I am not really a fan of a team winning the VCup and qualifying for a tournament that is a year and half later. The drawback is that in doing this you essentially make the 2017 VCup a stand alone thing. The CSA one year did use the MLS standings when they were transitioning to having their representative qualified a full year before Champions League. While it would not be ideal, the VCup is still the championship for Canada.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Basically we are still playing in the 2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League. However we (and other MLS/Liga MX, et al teams) no longer play in the first half (which is usually August-October). So technically, we now only play in the second half.

I guess a way of saying it is the first half is a qualification tournament for a select number of countries. The winner of that tournament then moves onto the main draw.

Also, I'm quite sure the 2017 Canadian champions would go onto the 2018-2019 CONCACAF Champions League.
    Ya that's pretty much it....

This article sums it up nicely....
    http://www.espnfc.us/concacaf-champi...ut-group-stage

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think playing a tournament with the reward, beyond the national championship, being CCL in 18 months is a bit much. I suspect TFC ain't getting in 2017-2018 without winning the Voyageurs this year. Same with the US teams.

Maybe we'll get some Victor bucks for this.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think playing a tournament with the reward, beyond the national championship, being CCL in 18 months is a bit much. I suspect TFC ain't getting in 2017-2018 without winning the Voyageurs this year. Same with the US teams.

Maybe we'll get some Victor bucks for this.
    The CONCACAF article states we are guaranteed a place in the next club championship series so I don't see why we'd give that up or agree to play VCup 2017 winner for it (which will be us, so doesn't matter, eh?)

Clubs that have already qualified for the 2017/18 edition of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League maintain guaranteed participation in one of the two tournaments of the upcoming club championship season; which tournament is decided based on aggregate results and the indexing of the respective leagues.
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't think MLS teams are going to say, "Yeah, we won the right to play in a competition 18-20 months from now!!"

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't think MLS teams are going to say, "Yeah, we won the right to play in a competition 18-20 months from now!!"
    Why not? What do they have to lose?
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that case, I would think the 2016 Liga MX Apertura champions and Apertura runner-ups will say the same thing too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're most likely doing a gap year. Everybody who already qualified in 2016 enters in 2018, no CCL qualification this year, then you move to qualify in 2018 for the 2019 tournament and so on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So everyone's OK with our CCL games being February - May? I don't understand how that's supposed to work in Toronto & a couple of northern US MLS teams. Montreal can play at Olympic Stadium I guess (and keep their fingers crossed it doesn't snow too much before their home games).

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schedule can be worked out where we have home games later. You might see Skydome thrown in. The fact is that this is when the championship rounds are played right now - remember the Galaxy game at the dome? If you look at the upcoming ccl fixtures for the 2016/2017 campaign you'll see teams playing next month in the final rounds.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    Schedule can be worked out where we have home games later. You might see Skydome thrown in. The fact is that this is when the championship rounds are played right now - remember the Galaxy game at the dome? If you look at the upcoming ccl fixtures for the 2016/2017 campaign you'll see teams playing next month in the final rounds.
    Hate to break it to you but if you are going to play soccer at the dome, you are gonna have to play with a giant dirt baseball infield. Unlike before the sand in the diamond is permanent and cannot be taken out. Would you really want to play on a field that NYCFC has? But it'll be interesting to see how TFC coops with the weather!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can play in BMO at night in December, you can play there in the afternoon in February.

Not that it's cheap, or smart, to do that.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-23-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    Hate to break it to you but if you are going to play soccer at the dome, you are gonna have to play with a giant dirt baseball infield. Unlike before the sand in the diamond is permanent and cannot be taken out. Would you really want to play on a field that NYCFC has? But it'll be interesting to see how TFC coops with the weather!
    I'm quite sure you can still lay turf over the sand base during the offseason when the baseball field is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If you can play in BMO at night in December, you can play there in the afternoon in February.

Except CCL games have to be played in the evenings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I don't think its smart at all. The MLS Cup is one thing, a February Champions League especially if its against a Central American club no one knows might not go over very well from a ticket sales perspective on a snowy winter day. I think the advantages/positives of playing in the dome at that time of year outweigh the negatives including some extra costs.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    They're most likely doing a gap year. Everybody who already qualified in 2016 enters in 2018, no CCL qualification this year, then you move to qualify in 2018 for the 2019 tournament and so on.
    I think that this makes the most sense. They will still have a Voyageurs cup, but for this year it will end there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    I'm quite sure you can still lay turf over the sand base during the offseason when the baseball field is removed.

Except CCL games have to be played in the evenings.
    Uh, that game in December was at night.

And, no, laying down turf isn't going to happen at the Dome. Apart from it being dangerous and danged expensive, the Skydome sees a lot of events in Jan and Feb and thus can't really support grass.

We'll be playing these games at BMO.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to see another game played at the dome. I was just throwing it out there as an option.

NYRB is at home to Vancouver on Feb 22nd of this month. So it is nothing new that the final rounds are played starting in Feb.

That being said, Harrison NJ is probably 5-6 deg warmer on average in Feb than Toronto. And we all know how much every degree counts when it's cold outside...
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say that if our CCL games were this February that MLSE would move them into the Dome (capitalise of the excitement from MLS Cup, as well as the turf at BMO currently being nowhere near ready).

But as our games will be February 2018, I'd see them try their absolute hardest to keep them in BMO for that time.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that they will always play the second leg of the first round, to give the environment time to warm up (maybe end of February with second leg in March?). And they will play at BMO, if only to completely shock the opposing team if they're from a southern climate. Problem is, they're pretty much guaranteed to be playing either another MLS or Liga MX club that round. We're not the only ones with this issue, though - imagine a MinnU-TFC matchup one year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On average, the weather in February is quite different from December. For example two years ago, we had some February days with HIGHs of -15 to -20, and lows of -25 (getting there in the evening). I don't think that's a good idea for anybody, and much of the piping at BMO Field can't handle it.

I don't get the whole new CCL schedule, it seems nuts. They only changed it two years ago, now again??? Yes they've had the occasional Feb & March CCL games in the past, but at least there were fewer & they were more spread out. Easier to reschedule around really bad weather for example.

PS And the weather in NY/NJ is also quite different.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-24-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmed that CCL won't take place until February.

Of note, the entries are to be reseeded based on past performance within CCL - i.e. Unlikely a Canadian team will face a Mexican/US one in the first round.

Ticket options for the CCL paid for coming according to a manger on twitter
    So,did that email ever go out?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the email from TFC on Monday. Options were as follows:

Donate to send youth facing barriers to a TFC Clinic at MLSE LaunchPad*
    Keep the credit on account to use for future matches**
    Refund the credit to original method of purchase

*Donations over $20 will receive a tax receipt issued to the primary name on account.
    **Good until Oct. 31st 2017. Not eligible for interest.

I decided on the donation, since I already paid the $$$ a while back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^

I got an email on Monday as well but, probably because I am on the payment plan, my monthly instalments will be decreased.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checked all my folders and haven't received anything. Guess, i'll follow up with a rep.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    ^^^

I got an email on Monday as well but, probably because I am on the payment plan, my monthly instalments will be decreased.
    Me too. No other options. Just that they will decrease my payments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got an email with the 3 options. I guess it's because I made 1 full payment.

I chose the option to refunded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for your guys opinion. I'm splitting season seats with a friend this year. Which 8 games are you guys most looking forward to this year?

These are the 8 I'm thinking
    1. Montreal Oct 15
    2. Kansas Mar 31
    3. NY FC Jul 30
    4. Montreal Sept 20
    5. Columbus May 26
    6. Colorado July 22
    7. Portland Aug 12
    8. Chicago April 21

Any changes you guys would make?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pick the midweek game with Philly on August 23 over the August 12th game with Portland. Its the only game during the Ex and that's always a fun atmosphere.