Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Portland seem to be making a mess of things imho. $50M to add only 4,000 seats. Apparently they are on a really cramped site which won't allow for better expansion. Also the site is supposedly situated over an underwater river which makes real grass an impossibility. If ever a club should have looked at relocation to a new site it's Portland, I can't believe they haven't chosen this route and a brand new stadium. Surely a new build wouldn't be far off $50M and would offer greater rewards for them than throwing money at a poor location?
    The river doesn't make grass impossible. The lack of sunlight is a bigger obstacle but that can be fixed with grow lights. The Timbers owner wants the college football team to pay half of the installation and upkeep of real grass. The school said no. Nothing will change there until star players say they aren't playing in Portland because the turf is garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But there was an article just recently saying how Portland's turf was probably the best in the league in terms of quality and how they change it out every two years. They said players were quoted waying if they had to play on turf, they would rather play in Portland than anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate turf but I'll say this. It beats playing on dirt which is what my dad grew up playing on in semi tropical madeira.

It blew my mind when first flew over it as a kid, now plastic is the standard and grass for the pros. (but the grass quality is pretty bad during the rainy seasons)

Anyone else notice the amount of sand kicking up last game a BMO? the ball was bouncing oddly

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Wayne County officials have decided to negotiate with Dan Gilbert over the jail site in downtown Detroit.

Wayne County moves forward with Gilbert's jail proposal - but not a done deal yet

If this all pans out, we could be having a new rival to hate. And a trip and back to Detroit all in one day.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh god. Having Gilbert as an owner is worse than the krafts. He's not just insanely cheap but a genuinely terrible person.

I've driven by that jail too. It's absolutely fucking massive. Way more than enough on that lot to build a stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo...running it as the home of Michigan High school football games rather then an NFL home like Foxboro.

High school football practices have started in the States - watch for issues with the Dynamo stadium in the next few months. And then if Detroit gets a team, don't be surprised.

If I had to bet on the first two teams, it would be Sacramento and Nashville. Sacramento is a lock for sure. I'm thinking Nashville is just a bit more of a known as far as local support. The USSF basically had a USMNT game there the other week as a trial balloon and it went over well. The whole Predator thing and the fact that Ingram is behind it.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-31-2017 at 06:51 PM.