Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    Here is a video of the new stadium
    where all the money coming from? what indsutries does Minnesota have exactly that would generate the wealth to build something like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    where all the money coming from? what indsutries does Minnesota have exactly that would generate the wealth to build something like that?
    Nowadays there are a lot of tech and biomedical companies with operations in the Twin Cities. Quite a few major companies with HQ in Minneapolis, i.e. Target, BestBy, 3M, General Mills, UnitedHealth, Valspar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minneapolis is a very wealthy city with 17 of the largest 500 companies in the US headquartered there.
    here is the list:

14: UnitedHealth Group (unchanged from last year, revenues $130 billion)
    36: Target (unchanged, $74.5 billion)
    69: CHS Inc. (down 7, $42.6 billion)
    72: Best Buy (down 12, $41.9 billion)
    98: 3M (up 3, $31.8 billion)
    138: U.S. Bancorp (up 2, $21.3 billion)
    164: Supervalu (down 70, $18.3 billion)
    171: General Mills (down 12, $17.9 billion)
    203: Land O’Lakes (down 4, $15.2 billion)
    213: Ecolab (unchanged, $14.2 billion)
    225: C.H. Robinson (down 5, $13.4 billion)
    247: Ameriprise Financial (up 2, $12.2 billion)
    255: Xcel Energy (up 2, $11.6 billion)
    310: Hormel Foods (up 1, $9.3 billion)
    320: Mosaic (down 37, $9 billion)
    333: Thrivent Financial for Lutherans (up 2, $8.5 billion)
    466: St. Jude Medical (down 4, $5.6 billion)

The former chairman of number 14, UnitedHealth Group, is the main owner of Minnesota United and it is where the the name came from.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The former chairman of number 14, UnitedHealth Group, is the main owner of Minnesota United and it is where the the name came from.
    Well that and its a two cities area and the supporter's preference. Unlike Atlanta who ignored their supporter's ideas and then whined about Minnesota taking that name.

Minnesota looks to be in over their heads but Atlanta although clever is a corporate machine of Home Depot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doucet3 View Post
    Try Dallas ... Can't even break 15,000 as supporter shield winners ...
    You realize they had one stand shut down all year and were operating at reduced capacity in 2016. Redeveloping their south end.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the top view it looks like a giant bedpan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    You realize they had one stand shut down all year and were operating at reduced capacity in 2016. Redeveloping their south end.

come' on they were barely getting 5-10k. frisco is a joke. move it.
    they only had the best record because its impossible to win there in the summer time. 40c sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They averaged 14k with a reduced capacity of 16ish. What's the problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    they only had the best record because its impossible to win there in the summer time. 40c sometimes.
    I mean you can't just move a stadium. Not a great location but they will have to make the best of it

Sean.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...they only had the best record because its impossible to win there in the summer time. 40c sometimes.
    They have arguably the best domestic coach in the league, one of the best defences, and a dynamic attack. And they just got better this week.

They won because they are darn good.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte, NC, is creating a big blip on the MLS radar.

The Charlotte Observer reports that billionaire NASCAR track owner and promoter extraordinaire, Bruton Smith, and his son Marcus, have declared an interest in acquiring a franchise. Smith's company, Speedway Motorsports, owns the track generally regarded as 'the home office' in NASCAR, Charlotte Motor Speedway, home of two major events per season plus NASCAR's annual all-star race. They also own popular tracks in Bristol (Tenn.), Las Vegas, Atlanta, New Hampshire and Texas. They also own Z-Max Dragway, a state-of-the-art drag racing facility that lets cars run four-wide at a time.

These are the men who organized the Battle of Bristol, using the iconic, steeply-banked half-mile track's 160,000-seat grandstands to hold an NCAA football game this past season. And packed the joint. With tifos and everything:

The Smiths are seriously adept promoters with bottomless pockets. The boy Garber must be delighted to see these two emerge in a vital area where MLS needs to establish a footprint to help make Atlanta and Miami work. If that wasn't enough, Dale Earnhardt Jr., one of NASCAR's most popular drivers, is a soccer fan, confessing to learning to love the sport whilst playing midfield for his high school team.

I've always been pleasantly surprised in the amount of interest in soccer uncovered in travels throughout the south on business.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 12-19-2016 at 12:45 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That stadium is great for Nascar.

Anything else and its way too far away from the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC Dallas is investing millions into the stadium, why do you think they will move now.
    They have the best developmental program in the league and are the support shield winner, I don't see the problem.
    Their 14K would be in the top three in attendance in almost ever European league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Charlotte, NC, is creating a big blip on the MLS radar.

The Charlotte Observer reports that billionaire NASCAR track owner and promoter extraordinaire, Bruton Smith, and his son Marcus, have declared an interest in acquiring a franchise. Smith's company, Speedway Motorsports, owns the track generally regarded as 'the home office' in NASCAR, Charlotte Motor Speedway, home of two major events per season plus NASCAR's annual all-star race. They also own popular tracks in Bristol (Tenn.), Las Vegas, Atlanta, New Hampshire and Texas. They also own Z-Max Dragway, a state-of-the-art drag racing facility that lets cars run four-wide at a time.

These are the men who organized the Battle of Bristol, using the iconic, steeply-banked half-mile track's 160,000-seat grandstands to hold an NCAA football game this past season. And packed the joint. With tifos and everything:

The Smiths are seriously adept promoters with bottomless pockets. The boy Garber must be delighted to see these two emerge in a vital area where MLS needs to establish a footprint to help make Atlanta and Miami work. If that wasn't enough, Dale Earnhardt Jr., one of NASCAR's most popular drivers, is a soccer fan, confessing to learning to love the sport whilst playing midfield for his high school team.

I've always been pleasantly surprised in the amount of interest in soccer uncovered in travels throughout the south on business.
    they would need a soccer specific stadium tho, this would never work permanently , awful views , to big for a regular fixture locations n. 20k stadium is what they would need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC Dallas is investing millions into the stadium, why do you think they will move now.
    They have the best developmental program in the league and are the support shield winner, I don't see the problem.
    Their 14K would be in the top three in attendance in almost ever European league.
    hope the renovation will help, but they have struggled in MLS with attendance, it's been on the low end even when they are on top of the league. In MLS with tight restrictions, going from the top of the league to the bottom or vice versa can change very fast, a few bad seasons and things could go down hill quickly for Dallas attendance. I hope they could change things around with the renovations, but they got there work cut out for them. Location could be one issue, but they obviously don't plan on building a new stadium in a new location in the city any time soon.

A lot of us on this board have discussed the shockingly low attendances from many leagues around the world, often only having a few big clubs that actually draw big crowds while other teams even in the top division draw crowds of 3k, 7k 10k exc. on average but are finishing in 15th, 10th, 5th even 3rd in the league. Some how despite low average attendance many of these clubs still actually have much better skilled teams then clubs in MLS who draw over 20k fans, how this is even possible I don't know, how do they financially survive, I have no idea. But some how they almost always seem to keep on going hoping to just make money off of a one off deep run in league cup match or making Europa or even Champions League. Some clubs with lower attendance are even spending much more money then MLS clubs. How this works, I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There is no way the league should be ditching Chicago - that would be insanity.

What they need to do is ditch Bridgeview aka nowhereville for something in the proper city.
    i guess the problem is they must of spent a lot of money on a soccer stadium only about 10 years old. Probably hard to build a new stadium only 10 years later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    San Francisco is launching a new NASL team next year, which the objective to become an MLS Franchise. They have the backing of a number of Silicon Valley investors.

http://www.sfdeltas.com/
    not to say San Francisco couldn't support a team as well as San Jose (or Sacramento) but I think with the number of clubs in MLS rapidly growing and the numbers starting to get near 30 clubs, the league is probably trying to decide on creating new teams in markets that have no clubs at all, having another club near San Jose and also Sacramento who has also been bidding for a team, I'm not sure how many clubs the league wants in that region.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the issues with Pro/Rel that ignored by Ted and his stalwarts is TV revenues in the US require you to be in certain markets.

Its not like Europe where the whole country is within a 2 hour drive and you can support a team from the other side of the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    hope the renovation will help, but they have struggled in MLS with attendance, it's been on the low end even when they are on top of the league. In MLS with tight restrictions, going from the top of the league to the bottom or vice versa can change very fast, a few bad seasons and things could go down hill quickly for Dallas attendance. I hope they could change things around with the renovations, but they got there work cut out for them. Location could be one issue, but they obviously don't plan on building a new stadium in a new location in the city any time soon.

A lot of us on this board have discussed the shockingly low attendances from many leagues around the world, often only having a few big clubs that actually draw big crowds while other teams even in the top division draw crowds of 3k, 7k 10k exc. on average but are finishing in 15th, 10th, 5th even 3rd in the league. Some how despite low average attendance many of these clubs still actually have much better skilled teams then clubs in MLS who draw over 20k fans, how this is even possible I don't know, how do they financially survive, I have no idea. But some how they almost always seem to keep on going hoping to just make money off of a one off deep run in league cup match or making Europa or even Champions League. Some clubs with lower attendance are even spending much more money then MLS clubs. How this works, I don't know.

Travel in N.A. cost millions, most European countries could fit into southern Ontario so don't need to spend millions in Travel.
    Also MLS has been spending a ton in facilities, and youth programs. Most European teams don't build or own their stadiums.

I see no way that the CPL will survive if attendance are below 5K with the travel cost needed for a national league of 6 teams and NASL quality players. If total player salary was under 1 million I can see it surviving however, that would mean semi-pro. I am sure they will spend a lot in the first season though until the reality of the situation hits.
    Last edited by troy1982; 12-20-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There is no way the league should be ditching Chicago - that would be insanity.

What they need to do is ditch Bridgeview aka nowhereville for something in the proper city.
    Unfortunately MLS is stuck with Bridgeview until 2035. It was part of the contract when they developed the stadium. If the Fire ever fold and MLS finds another investor for a club in Chicago, it has to go to Toyota Park. That's the real insanity.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Travel in N.A. cost millions, most European countries could fit into southern Ontario so don't need to spend millions in Travel.
    Also MLS has been spending a ton in facilities, and youth programs. Most European teams don't build or own their stadiums.

I see no way that the CPL will survive if attendance are below 5K with the travel cost needed for a national league of 6 teams and NASL quality players. If total player salary was under 1 million I can see it surviving however, that would mean semi-pro. I am sure they will spend a lot in the first season though until the reality of the situation hits.
    The goal for this league should first and foremost be Survival! Survive 10 years showing consistent financial growth and stability.
    Only then can they begin to see themselves as a viable Tier 2 option in North America.

As you pointed out, Travel alone will be a huge bulk of the cost to running this league.

I don't see stadiums being a problem based solely on the whispers of this being a joint CFL run operation. Stadium share with existing CFL teams would be the smart move.

I see max salary per player being at around 75-100K with the average being around 50K and kids making around 30K.
    It's a working man's salary so they should be able to focus 100% on playing football and not have to take on a second job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    Unfortunately MLS is stuck with Bridgeview until 2035. It was part of the contract when they developed the stadium. If the Fire ever fold and MLS finds another investor for a club in Chicago, it has to go to Toyota Park. That's the real insanity.
    is this a state deal? how can they stop them from starting another team in actual chicago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this a state deal? how can they stop them from starting another team in actual chicago
    It likely said Greater Chicago in the contract. Either way, they're stuck in Bridgeview.

MLS isn't the only League to make deals like this. Just think of how the NHL deals with expansion/relocation and the proximity to other markets (not an apples to apples example, i know).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It likely said Greater Chicago in the contract. Either way, they're stuck in Bridgeview.

MLS isn't the only League to make deals like this. Just think of how the NHL deals with expansion/relocation and the proximity to other markets (not an apples to apples example, i know).
    its how i became a huge vegas golden knights fan.......just rolls off the tongue doesnt it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its how i became a huge vegas golden knights fan.......just rolls off the tongue doesnt it
    i prefer "golden shites"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer "golden shites"
    I think you're confusing them with an Iraqi team, Baghdad Golden Shiites...

Hehehe... Yep, left my politically-correct hat at home today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who thinks 14K by FC Dallas is so bad
    Here are some 1st division European league attendances for the current season (16/17) for comparison:

Greece
    # Team average
    1 Olympiakos Piräus 18.154
    2 AEK Athen 10.818
    3 PAOK Saloniki 10.569
    4 Panathinaikos 5.745
    5 AEP Iraklis FC 3.007
    6 Panetolikos 2.344
    7 PAS Giannina 2.128
    8 Platanias Chanion 1.892
    9 Asteras Tripolis 1.680
    10 Panionios GSS 1.389
    11 Skoda Xanthi 1.265
    12 Veria FC 1.201
    13 Panthrakikos 1.166
    14 AEL Kalloni 921
    15 Atromitos 864
    16 Levadiakos 848

Portugal:
    # Teams average
    1 SL Benfica 56.530
    2 Sporting CP 43.538
    3 FC Porto 34.686
    4 Vitória Guimarães 16.237
    5 Sporting Braga 9.378
    6 CS Marítimo 6.529
    7 Boavista 5.334
    8 Rio Ave FC 4.505
    9 Os Belenenses 4.452
    10 GD Chaves 3.485
    11 Vitória Setúbal 3.198
    12 Paços de Ferreira 2.928
    13 CD Nacional 2.848
    14 CD Feirense 2.825
    15 GD Estoril 2.402
    16 CD Tondela 2.240
    17 FC Arouca 1.690
    18 Moreirense FC 1.536

Poland:
    # Teams average
    1 Legia Warszawa 19.080
    2 Lech Poznań 16.323
    3 Lechia Gdańsk 15.921
    4 Jagiellonia Białystok 13.747
    5 Wisła Kraków 13.367
    6 Śląsk Wrocław 9.988
    7 Arka Gdynia 8.342
    8 Cracovia Kraków 7.469
    9 Pogoń Szczecin 6.475
    10 Zagłębie Lubin 6.391
    11 Wisła Płock 5.838
    12 Ruch Chorzów 5.812
    13 Korona Kielce 5.668
    14 Piast Gliwice 5.188
    15 Górnik Łęczna 3.770
    16 Termalica Bruk-Bet Nieciecza 3.740

Scotland:
    # Teams average
    1 Celtic FC 54.845
    2 Rangers FC 48.904
    3 Heart of Midlothian 16.364
    4 Aberdeen FC 12.765
    5 Dundee FC 6.149
    6 Kilmarnock FC 5.560
    7 Partick Thistle 4.459
    8 Motherwell FC 4.365
    9 Ross County FC 4.213
    10 Inverness CT 4.043
    11 St. Johnstone FC 3.958
    12 Hamilton Academical 2.351
    Last edited by troy1982; 12-20-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Austria
    # Teams average
    1 Rapid Wien 21.191
    2 Sturm Graz 10.848
    3 Austria Wien 7.229
    4 RB Salzburg 6.699
    5 SCR Altach 5.314
    6 Wolfsberger AC 3.785
    7 SKN St. Pölten 3.754
    8 SV Ried 3.521
    9 FC Admira Wacker 2.644
    10 SV Mattersburg 2.631

Russia:
    # Teams average
    1 Spartak Moskva 30.158
    2 Zenit St. Petersburg 17.506
    3 Terek Grozny 14.561
    4 FK Krasnodar 12.417
    5 CSKA Moskva 11.200
    6 Arsenal Tula 10.331
    7 FK Rostov 10.100
    8 Rubin Kazan 9.713
    9 Lokomotiv Moskva 9.151
    10 Anzhi Makhachkala 8.513
    11 FK Amkar Perm 6.586
    12 Krylia Sovetov 6.496
    13 FK Ural 6.312
    14 FC Ufa 6.257
    15 Gazovik Orenburg 5.261
    16 FK Tom Tomsk 5.006

Turkey:
    # Teams average
    1 Beşiktaş 33.577
    2 Fenerbahçe 25.819
    3 Galatasaray 24.898
    4 Atiker Konyaspor 15.398
    5 Bursaspor 15.256
    6 Antalyaspor 10.425
    7 Adanaspor 5.089
    8 Trabzonspor 4.338
    9 Kayserispor 4.243
    10 Akhisar Belediyespor 4.236
    11 Osmanlıspor FK 4.069
    12 Çaykur Rizespor 3.793
    13 Alanyaspor 3.688
    14 Medipol Başakşehir F.K 3.158
    15 Gençlerbirliği 2.938
    16 Gaziantepspor 2.563
    17 Karabükspor 2.411
    18 Kasımpaşa SK 1.865

Neatherlands:

# Teams average
    1 AFC Ajax 48.303
    2 Feyenoord 47.500
    3 PSV Eindhoven 33.500
    4 FC Twente 24.867
    5 sc Heerenveen 22.287
    6 FC Groningen 19.006
    7 FC Utrecht 17.316
    8 AZ Alkmaar 14.845
    9 Vitesse 14.205
    10 Roda JC Kerkrade 13.508
    11 PEC Zwolle 12.600
    12 Willem II 12.068
    13 Heracles Almelo 11.368
    14 ADO Den Haag 11.029
    15 NEC Nijmegen 11.006
    16 Sparta Rotterdam 10.285
    17 Go Ahead Eagles 9.414
    18 SBV Excelsior 3.924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

France:
    # Teams average
    1 Paris Saint-Germain 44.801
    2 Olympique Lyon 41.684
    3 Olympique Marseille 33.942
    4 Lille OSC 27.375
    5 AS Saint-Étienne 26.112
    6 Girondins Bordeaux 22.735
    7 OGC Nice 22.578
    8 Stade Rennes 21.524
    9 FC Nantes 21.443
    10 Toulouse FC 18.071
    11 AS Nancy 17.571
    12 FC Metz 16.240
    13 EA Guingamp 14.501
    14 SM Caen 14.382
    15 Montpellier HSC 12.324
    16 Angers SCO 11.295
    17 SC Bastia 10.273
    18 FC Lorient 10.189
    19 AS Monaco 9.350
    20 Dijon FCO 9.093

Ukraine:
    # average
    1 Dinamo Kiev 10.353
    2 Shakhtar Donetsk 7.997
    3 Chernomorets Odessa 5.978
    4 Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 5.121
    5 Olimpik Donetsk 4.889
    6 Zirka Kirovograd 3.590
    7 Karpaty Lviv 3.369
    8 Vorskla Poltava 3.189
    9 FC Aleksandriya 2.162
    10 Volyn Lutsk 1.789
    11 Zorya Lugansk 1.367
    12 FK Stal Kamjanske 1.030

Italy:
    # Teams average
    1 Inter 44.308
    2 AC Milan 42.431
    3 Juventus 39.703
    4 SSC Napoli 30.144
    5 AS Roma 29.391
    6 ACF Fiorentina 26.013
    7 Sampdoria 20.717
    8 Torino FC 20.092
    9 Lazio Roma 19.667
    10 Bologna FC 19.363
    11 Genoa CFC 19.334
    12 Atalanta 16.150
    13 Udinese Calcio 15.376
    14 Chievo Verona 15.333
    15 US Palermo 14.965
    16 Cagliari Calcio 14.026
    17 Pescara Calcio 13.837
    18 Sassuolo Calcio 11.036
    19 Empoli FC 10.398
    20 FC Crotone 5.027

Belgium:
    # Teams average
    1 Club Brugge KV 26.670
    2 Standard Liège 21.700
    3 KAA Gent 19.762
    4 RSC Anderlecht 17.600
    5 KRC Genk 15.764
    6 KV Mechelen 11.694
    7 SV Zulte Waregem 9.652
    8 Sporting Charleroi 8.701
    9 KV Oostende 7.381
    10 Sint-Truidense VV 6.562
    11 Sporting Lokeren 6.547
    12 KV Kortrijk 6.540
    13 KVC Westerlo 5.556
    14 Waasland-Beveren 4.447
    15 Royal Mouscron-Péruwelz 3.454
    16 AS Eupen 3.301
    Last edited by troy1982; 12-20-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and Finally,
    MLS
    # Teams average
    1 Seattle Sounders 42.048
    2 Orlando City 31.324
    3 New York City FC 27.196
    4 Toronto FC 26.583
    5 Los Angeles Galaxy 25.147