Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    One of the issues with Pro/Rel that ignored by Ted and his stalwarts is TV revenues in the US require you to be in certain markets.

Its not like Europe where the whole country is within a 2 hour drive and you can support a team from the other side of the country.
    euro TV contracts have this as well. scottish soccer almost imploded when rangers had their tax issues and were dropped to div4. the main issue was the massive TV deal that basically finances scottish top flight, they were which guaranteed as certain number of celtic and ranger games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    Unfortunately MLS is stuck with Bridgeview until 2035. It was part of the contract when they developed the stadium. If the Fire ever fold and MLS finds another investor for a club in Chicago, it has to go to Toyota Park. That's the real insanity.
    I'd find a way out of that one. Negotiate a breakage and move on.

If the option for bridgeview is no soccer or no soccer with a payment they'll choose the latter. The increase in franchise value moving this to the actual city should pay for itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the attendance numbers, troy. You can sure tell which teams are the top of the table based on stadium size. I'm curious to see the numbers for Bundesliga/Bundesliga2 and Premier/Championship.

As for the new CPL, what they need is cost certainty for the first 8-10 years of its existence. A national TV contract that pays between $8-10 million a year would go a long way towards that goal. I don't think that's far-fetched, especially if you include World Cup broadcast rights in the package. The CFL gets $40 million a year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    Ukraine:
    # average
    1 Dinamo Kiev 10.353
    2 Shakhtar Donetsk 7.997
    3 Chernomorets Odessa 5.978
    4 Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 5.121
    5 Olimpik Donetsk 4.889
    6 Zirka Kirovograd 3.590
    7 Karpaty Lviv 3.369
    8 Vorskla Poltava 3.189
    9 FC Aleksandriya 2.162
    10 Volyn Lutsk 1.789
    11 Zorya Lugansk 1.367
    12 FK Stal Kamjanske 1.030
    Those Ukranian numbers are likely low due to the whole Russia-Ukraine conflict.

But i agree with the overall sentiment of your posts. 14K for Dallas is not a number to scoff at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    Those Ukranian numbers are likely low due to the whole Russia-Ukraine conflict.

But i agree with the overall sentiment of your posts. 14K for Dallas is not a number to scoff at.
    Here is the league average for Ukraine for the last 10 years:

2017: 4,230 (Current)
    2016: 5,008
    2015: 6,143
    2014: 10,930
    2013: 12,547
    2012: 11,309
    2011: 9,225
    2010: 8,943
    2009: 7,574
    2008: 8,295
    2007: 9,052
    2006: 7,838

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Thanks for the attendance numbers, troy. You can sure tell which teams are the top of the table based on stadium size. I'm curious to see the numbers for Bundesliga/Bundesliga2 and Premier/Championship.

As for the new CPL, what they need is cost certainty for the first 8-10 years of its existence. A national TV contract that pays between $8-10 million a year would go a long way towards that goal. I don't think that's far-fetched, especially if you include World Cup broadcast rights in the package. The CFL gets $40 million a year!

Also without a salary cap or forced parity, most fans know their team can not challenge for anything so why bother going to games if you know it's futile year after year, decade after decade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also without a salary cap or forced parity, most fans know their team can not challenge for anything so why bother going to games if you know it's futile year after year, decade after decade.
    Takes a cup run to get interest - its why big teams have hollowed out local teams in most European countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the league average for Ukraine for the last 10 years:

2017: 4,230 (Current)
    2016: 5,008
    2015: 6,143
    2014: 10,930
    2013: 12,547
    2012: 11,309
    2011: 9,225
    2010: 8,943
    2009: 7,574
    2008: 8,295
    2007: 9,052
    2006: 7,838
    Yep. And look how much those numbers have dropped since shit hit the fan with the annexation of 2014. I know it doesn't detract from your point that Dallas' 14k average isn't terrible when stacked against many Euro leagues. I'm just pointing out that the recent Ukranian numbers are somewhat anomalous.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    they would need a soccer specific stadium tho, this would never work permanently , awful views , to big for a regular fixture locations n. 20k stadium is what they would need.
    To you and Og - Sois Serieux!

It's a forkin' racetrack used for a one-off sporting promotion, not a permanent venue for fieldsports. I only used it to illustrate what this potential ownership group in Charlotte are capable of.

I'll put less worm on the hook next time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EXCEPT that whole track as another sport venue has been discussed before

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...es-auto-racing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who thinks 14K by FC Dallas is so bad
    Here are some 1st division European league attendances for the current season (16/17) for comparison:

Greece
    # Team average
    1 Olympiakos Piräus 18.154
    2 AEK Athen 10.818
    3 PAOK Saloniki 10.569
    4 Panathinaikos 5.745
    5 AEP Iraklis FC 3.007
    6 Panetolikos 2.344
    7 PAS Giannina 2.128
    8 Platanias Chanion 1.892
    9 Asteras Tripolis 1.680
    10 Panionios GSS 1.389
    11 Skoda Xanthi 1.265
    12 Veria FC 1.201
    13 Panthrakikos 1.166
    14 AEL Kalloni 921
    15 Atromitos 864
    16 Levadiakos 848

Not sure if this is the case any more, but I heard rumours that in the past that Greek teams really underreported attendance numbers (for tax reasons?). They're still pretty low in comparison to MLS (by a lot). Like the PAOK numbers would suggest that they average 1/3 of the stadium per game. Which I don't think is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    Not sure if this is the case any more, but I heard rumours that in the past that Greek teams really underreported attendance numbers (for tax reasons?). They're still pretty low in comparison to MLS (by a lot). Like the PAOK numbers would suggest that they average 1/3 of the stadium per game. Which I don't think is true.
    greece do find any way possible to cheat the tax man, it's a national hobby!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel in N.A. cost millions, most European countries could fit into southern Ontario so don't need to spend millions in Travel.
    Also MLS has been spending a ton in facilities, and youth programs. Most European teams don't build or own their stadiums.

I see no way that the CPL will survive if attendance are below 5K with the travel cost needed for a national league of 6 teams and NASL quality players. If total player salary was under 1 million I can see it surviving however, that would mean semi-pro. I am sure they will spend a lot in the first season though until the reality of the situation hits.
    and some of these countries the stadiums are in pretty bad shape, including some big countries known for its soccer world wide in places like Italy or Argentina where they are viewed as soccer crazy. Yet again average attendance is much lower then you would of thought and stadiums are in bad need of renovations. In many cases the clubs don't really have the money to combat hooligan gangs, a big reason many countries hooligan activity has gotten worse then England was in the 80s "hay day" of hooligans, in some cases it's even worse then it was in England in the 80s. Yet some how, some of these clubs still would dominate if they were in MLS, how? Even with North American long travel distance it still hard to believe why are our clubs not able to have some of the best skilled teams in the world when you look at attendance numbers.
    Last edited by james; 12-31-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In some cases I think some MLS numbers can be a bit skewed tho, wouldn't surprise me if some MLS clubs numbers included many free give aways, FCDallas often looked like 5k-10k fans in the stadium, makes it hard to believe they averaged 14k. Even TFC got crowds like 22k, 23k, 24k, I guess tho 1 sellout 30k changes the average. But overall the stadium looked quite full in Toronto, Places like Chicago, FC Dallas and New England, not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    In some cases I think some MLS numbers can be a bit skewed tho, wouldn't surprise me if some MLS clubs numbers included many free give aways, FCDallas often looked like 5k-10k fans in the stadium, makes it hard to believe they averaged 14k. Even TFC got crowds like 22k, 23k, 24k, I guess tho 1 sellout 30k changes the average. But overall the stadium looked quite full in Toronto, Places like Chicago, FC Dallas and New England, not so much.
    All those places you mentioned has some serious accessibility problems in terms of public transit. FC Dallas has a racketing scheme in guise of a toll road to and from the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    All those places you mentioned has some serious accessibility problems in terms of public transit. FC Dallas has a racketing scheme in guise of a toll road to and from the stadium.
    In general public transit is pretty bad in America, very car dependent. I remember recently reading only 6% of Americans use public transit at all, even smaller number for those that actually use public transit daily, compared to 14% in Canada (which was low compared to Europe countries) that were often at 20%, 25%, 30% and up. That said NYC depend on public transit heavily and a city like Chicago have a very large public transit system (Chicago subway system is much larger then Toronto's, and Montreal, however Toronto and Montreal still averages much more average daily passengers then Chicago). It's crazy to think that after New York City, Montreal and Toronto have the most heavily used subway systems in America-Canada, despite some American cities having larger subway systems. Cities like Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, LA have very poor public transit systems for the large populations, often caused because of sprawling populations rather then densely built populations, and almost all the money in these cities and a long with many other cities in America went into extensive highways and sometimes completely ignored public transit, some cities they even dismantled many cities public transit systems to build for the future life of cars, even some car companies purchased public transit systems to then dismantle them little by little, streetcars in America were scrapped for cars and busses ( ironically many cities have very recently started rebuilding streetcar systems, tho more modern models)

Teams like FC Dallas and New England are going to be completely depending on cars to get to and from the stadium, as they are built way out of the city. It might work well in NFL football where everyone drives to tailgate at the NFL game in a massive parking lot or field, but might not work so well in MLS. That said it may vary from city to city, but overall I think having a club located in the city or by some form of public transit may be more important then compared to say NFL.
    Last edited by james; 12-31-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And with southwest NFL venues now offering pre-game skeet shooting ranges and complimentary in-game gun cleaning services, MLS certainly has some marketing challenges ahead in the Trump Era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed, convenience of location is more important to a MLS team comparatively. NFL is the most prominent brand in NA sports and people will drive wherever to see an event if they're interested.

As far as transit goes it depends on the city. It can be "convenient" enough for most without being transit accessible. That's just the way things work down there, as a few posters have pointed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    And with southwest NFL venues now offering pre-game skeet shooting ranges and complimentary in-game gun cleaning services, MLS certainly has some marketing challenges ahead in the Trump Era.
    do whuh?

is the country one long sitcom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ Agreed, convenience of location is more important to a MLS team comparatively. NFL is the most prominent brand in NA sports and people will drive wherever to see an event if they're interested.

As far as transit goes it depends on the city. It can be "convenient" enough for most without being transit accessible. That's just the way things work down there, as a few posters have pointed out.
    a ride on the Chicago subway/elevated rust bucket from the airport to downtown is a wake up call to the homeless issues they face.

Most American cities associate transit with low income

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    a ride on the Chicago subway/elevated rust bucket from the airport to downtown is a wake up call to the homeless issues they face.

Most American cities associate transit with low income
    that in many cities is the case. Public transit is for the poor, cars are more for the middle and upper class. Often outer suburbs want nothing to do with public transit and refuse to fund it, leaving the transit systems broke, little future expansion plans for public transit (not always the case, but for a good number of cities it is the case).

Toronto has its problems, and arguments "who pays for what" is common, and adding tax issues is a huge argument to be had. The city did turn away from public expansion for a good portion of the 80s and 90s. But a good portion of people today want more public expansion and they want it in there neighbourhoods and it's not just the poor neighbourhoods. And Toronto is working on the biggest public transit expansion in USA and Canada (Ellington line, plus Union renovation plus Subway expansion to Vaughn.). In some Europe cities the poor are those actually further outside of the best public transit routs, people want to be close to a subway.

anyways I am getting more off topic, I guess just slow these days to talk about TFC issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AS a crazy and weird this is going to sound and I am sure people will look at me if I am nuts I can see MLS and the New CPL be connected in some form

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    AS a crazy and weird this is going to sound and I am sure people will look at me if I am nuts I can see MLS and the New CPL be connected in some form
    The only way I could maybe see CPL and MLS joining is by being part of Canadian championship, joining with Edmonton, Ottawa and 3 Canadian MLS clubs (MTL, Tor, Van) like how many lower leagues compete with American clubs from MLS in US Open cup. But being part of MLS regular season and MLS playoffs?.....no way
    Last edited by james; 01-05-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte group headed by Bruton and Marcus Smith - prosperous NASCAR track owners and race promoters - in with a bid:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...127847499.html

They are looking for some public funding, but will carry the lion's share of overall costs to get the franchise. They have deep, deep, pockets, solid business credentials and a hugely favourable local profile. With Atlanta coming in, it would be a good choice to develop a local rivalry in an area MLS needs to grow its footprint.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of general interest in soccer shown during my visits to the Carolinas. Mebbe coz, back in the day, good ol' Dale Jr. wuzza midfielder afore he went racin'.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 01-23-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    Promotion-relegation process for Canadian teams? CPL winner goes up against loser of playoff between two lowest finishing Canadian MLS clubs?

Hard to see MLSE approving this sort of risk to their investment.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 01-23-2017 at 08:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leagues moving into North Carolina have other issues - the reality of the anti-Trans law precludes investment there when there are other options. NWSL is making a mistake but their ownership is more like NASL then MLS.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruton Smith'sBillion$ >>>>>>> RuPaul.

The Smith family fortune was created and administered out of North Carolina. Social and political issues won't be a concern. Certainly not in a state that played a key role in electing Trump.

Nor when MLS has Arthur Blank's Atlanta franchise about to kick off in a schwingy new stadium. There's not only a crucial investment to nurture, but an important TV market footprint to grow. A team in Charlotte also helps build appealing southeast regional rivalries for incoming franchises in Florida.

For Atlanta, Charlotte is the ideal place to put another franchise - just over a three hour drive away on a major freeway, facilitating the possibility of supporters groups turning up in numbers in each other's stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Bruton Smith'sBillion$ >>>>>>> RuPaul.

The Smith family fortune was created and administered out of North Carolina. Social and political issues won't be a concern. Certainly not in a state that played a key role in electing Trump.

Nor when MLS has Arthur Blank's Atlanta franchise about to kick off in a schwingy new stadium. There's not only a crucial investment to nurture, but an important TV market footprint to grow. A team in Charlotte also helps build appealing southeast regional rivalries for incoming franchises in Florida.

For Atlanta, Charlotte is the ideal place to put another franchise - just over a three hour drive away on a major freeway, facilitating the possibility of supporters groups turning up in numbers in each other's stadium.

They also just elected a Democrat as governor to repeal the bathroom bill because so many businesses were divesting their money from North Carolina. A lot of that money was in sports and entertainment. It definitely will be an issue should the league go forward with this and the bill stays in place.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful. They're appearing to be appropriately concerned. I don't think this issue would slow MLS from granting a franchise to the Smiths. Let me emphasize again. The Smith billions are already in place in NC and they are willing to privately fund the lion's share of the project. The Blank billions are already in action.

The positives in going to Charlotte are long term and tangible. The social issues are totally transitory.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do know who's behind the projects in Cinci and Sacramento and Detroit and St. Louis and now San Diego?

Billionaire's isn't the problem.

The key here is local corporate non owner support, shown local support for a team and which TV market adds more to the national TV grid for Fox and ESPN. Carolina has that - just needs to drop the trans bill and all will go well.

If had money on who would be the next 3, it would be on Sacramento, Charlotte, & St. Louis. I don't think Miami gets done, which lets in one of Detroit, Cinci or Tampa.