Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS in the future!

After a great year for TFC and boy was it a fun run despite the sad end has come to an end. We now have a few months off, waiting for the new season in March. Also it was a great year for MLS. Attendance average was raised again to over 21k average a new record. I think higher tv ratings then ever before in Canada and USA (Toronto vs Montreal playoff series set new records for Canadian soccer tv ratings). Teams have made more money, and more money has been given to clubs across the league for next season salary caps. New players joined the league and more money has been put into infrastructure and player development across the league.

It is interesting to see how this league will continue to grow in the next 10 years. How much better can it get? Will talent improve? How much money can be spent on players? How many more new stadiums and clubs join the league?

Next year Atlanta United and Minnesota United will join the league. Atlanta will play at NFL Falcons new stadium who have already sold a new MLS record of over 21k season ticket holders in its first year (not even Seattle did that in year 1) and Minnesota United also have had pretty good ticket sales and will play at a University stadium for the first year, and hope to have construction starting soon and able to move into a bran new soccer stadium in 2018. Los Angeles FC will join in 2018 season in a new stadium that is already under construction located very close to the downtown core of LA and have already sold over 10k deposits for season tickets in 2018 (Galaxy sold 11,500 season tickets this year) and I believe DC United finally are expecting a new stadium in 2018 after over 10 years of trying to get a new stadium built. And Orlando new stadium (it looks awesome by the way) is near completion, will be ready in 2017.

How many teams will join MLS by 2027? How is the league going to change the season schedule? Will US Open cup change at all in the future? Will Canadian soccer change? Will it grow into other Canadian cities?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is also other cities like Sacramento, St.Louis, Miami, San Antonio, Detroit that would like to start a new franchise in MLS and lower clubs like Charlotte, Oklahoma and Cinncinatti (set a USL record of averaging over 17k attendance this year) would like to move up to MLS. So many cities want a team now, how many will they actually let the league to expand to?

Even New England Revolution owner is now taking interest in perhaps moving the team much closer to Boston in a soccer 20k stadium, has looked at a site, and well that is all we have on info. But they desperately need to get out of Gillette stadium, it's the joke of the league, terriable venue for MLS, to big, to empty and NFL grid iron marks hurt the entire league credibility.

on a sadder note a few teams seem to struggle a bit drawing fans like New England (need to move closer to Boston to have any chance of attracting more fans), Dallas (they play way out in the country) and Chicago (stadium probably should of been built in the downtown Chicago area.). What will these teams do in the future to grow? Well Chicago and Dallas really built new soccer stadiums in the wrong towns. New England has hope if they finally get a proper soccer stadium.
    Last edited by james; 12-12-2016 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did someone say stadiums: here are the Soccer Specific Stadiums opening in the next 2 years.

Orlando City Stadium- Opening Date: 2017

Banc of California Stadium - Opening Date: 2018

Minnesota United Stadium - Opening Date: 2018

DC United Stadium - Opening Date: 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well New England need one of these badly or else id rather see them relocated. I also thunk its very importantant that Seattle do something about those grid iron marks that appear from time to time in the playoffs or US Open cup matches. MLS really needs to stop having these markings on the field if they want to get creadability from around the world and a very well supported club like Seattle the fans deserve better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget Portland and Columbus are looking at expanding and building a new stadium respectively. Chicago is the team that should worry the most. It is a complete nightmare surrounding that club right now.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Don't forget Portland and Columbus are looking at expanding and building a new stadium respectively. Chicago is the team that should worry the most. It is a complete nightmare surrounding that club right now.
    Try Dallas ... Can't even break 15,000 as supporter shield winners ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never ever trust renderings

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Never ever trust renderings
    I have that tattood across my stomach as a 'caveat emptor'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not mind seeing Chicago moving to Cincinatti While Dallas moving to Sacremento

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cincinnatti already has a strong base for their team.

Have couple friends there and it is a great atmosphere they have there already.

I guess this is sort of turning into an expansion talk.

Interesting article on Detroit: Thoughts?

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/12/1...-fc-soccer-mls
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its nice seeing DC United building there own Stadium finally . I wonder what is in store for New England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I did not know Columbus was planning a new stadium considering the stadium is only like 15 years old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doucet3 View Post
    Try Dallas ... Can't even break 15,000 as supporter shield winners ...
    Dallas may not beagood city for MLS anyways, but it makes it worse the location the stadium was built in, way outside of the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I would not mind seeing Chicago moving to Cincinatti While Dallas moving to Sacremento
    I don't like the idea of clubs folding, I want clubs to stay, I hate in other leagues in the country teams come and go, but on the other side, if the fan base isn't there, there are other locations that could do a much better job. If only we had relegation and unlimited spending, then the struggling clubs would just drop down because of financial issues, and probably wouldn't make it back up until they sort the issues out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I did not know Columbus was planning a new stadium considering the stadium is only like 15 years old.
    They are only just opening the discussions about it. It is still very early on.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...ty-new-stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know people will disagree based on the season tix sold, but I am just not sold on Atlanta as a sports town, and don't know where thst franchise will be after the novelty factor wears out.

They've lost two nhl franchises, going to a hawks game is like visiting the morgue and the braves don't draw when they're losing.

Given their sports history, I'm not convinced it will be a successful venture for mls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando City unveils safe standing section
    http://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1183349
    (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Also this re: Orlandos new stadium. If it ends up being done right, would be awesome.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARDTFC View Post
    I know people will disagree based on the season tix sold, but I am just not sold on Atlanta as a sports town, and don't know where thst franchise will be after the novelty factor wears out.

They've lost two nhl franchises, going to a hawks game is like visiting the morgue and the braves don't draw when they're losing.

Given their sports history, I'm not convinced it will be a successful venture for mls.
    Big Falcon deal.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this new trend to NFL football teams hosting MLS teams in their stadium kind of worrisome. Unless the pitch is grass, which I don't think any are. All the fake turf fields will make it hard to attract more high level players to the league. Is Minnesota soccer specific? Looks like in the rendering but I thought it was shared with the Vikings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I find this new trend to NFL football teams hosting MLS teams in their stadium kind of worrisome. Unless the pitch is grass, which I don't think any are. All the fake turf fields will make it hard to attract more high level players to the league. Is Minnesota soccer specific? Looks like in the rendering but I thought it was shared with the Vikings.
    They are playing their first season at a college football stadium, that the Vikings played at temporarily when they were building their new stadium.

But their new stadium is a soccer specific being designed by Populous. I don't know if it has a grass field or not, but Populous has designed numerous soccer stadiums, including Children's Mercy for Kansas City, Colorado Rapids's Park, and Orlando's new stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Francisco is launching a new NASL team next year, which the objective to become an MLS Franchise. They have the backing of a number of Silicon Valley investors.

http://www.sfdeltas.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    They are playing their first season at a college football stadium, that the Vikings played at temporarily when they were building their new stadium.

But their new stadium is a soccer specific being designed by Populous. I don't know if it has a grass field or not, but Populous has designed numerous soccer stadiums, including Children's Mercy for Kansas City, Colorado Rapids's Park, and Orlando's new stadium.
    Great, thanks. They're doing things right there. Glad to see that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta is hot and humid as hell in the summer, i'm fine with an indoor stadium there. A comfortable outdoor stadium will be hella expensive in that climate, they even have AC pumped into some downtown bus stops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    They are never moving teams out of Chicago or Dallas. Too big of a market.

Atlanta is a young and transient city and should do well with MLS. The Demographics are similar to DC.

Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando City unveils safe standing section
    http://www.thescore.com/mls/news/1183349
    (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Also this re: Orlandos new stadium. If it ends up being done right, would be awesome.
    here is the stading sections

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Unveils Expansion Process, Timeline and Fee

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...meline-and-fee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Big Falcon deal.
    Eye Sea what you did there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Great, thanks. They're doing things right there. Glad to see that.

Here is a video of the new stadium
    Last edited by troy1982; 12-16-2016 at 12:29 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI: the Loons are decidedly NOT involved with the Vikings. The Viking ownership actively torpedoed one stadium location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way the league should be ditching Chicago - that would be insanity.

What they need to do is ditch Bridgeview aka nowhereville for something in the proper city.