Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Congratulations to the Sounder's fans.

No Toronto fan would be here after ten years if they didn't understand humility, and I want to congratulate the Sounders and their fans on their MLS cup win, in front of us horrified TFC fans in our own stadium.

No other team in this league but Seattle deserved this cup as much as we did, the Sounders story has been a great one and their season ending like this for them must be truly epic.

They came from the bottom, changed coach, fought their way to the playoffs to face Toronto FC at BMO field in freezing cold temperatures, defended against relentless pressure for 120 minutes and won the MLS cup in sudden death penalties. That's a historic story for any club and you can't take that away from them.

8 years ago they proved that that TFC fans werent an anomaly and soccer and MLS could grow much bigger and fill larger stadiums, they proved that expansion teams could make the playoffs and that 5 year plans were redundant, this year they proved that dumping a coach mid season doesnt mean the new coach cant succeed. Nice one.

No other team's fans have been as loud in our stadium, you have no idea how much it hurt to see and hear you all celebrating post game as we left.

I dont think you were the better team, but we couldn't have lost to a better team this season.

Enjoy your win, and covering that cup with puke green ribbons and shit, you kind of deserve it.

See you next season, snotrags. We'll be back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    No Toronto fan would be here after ten years if they didn't understand humility, and I want to congratulate the Sounders and their fans on their MLS cup win, in front of us horrified TFC fans in our own stadium.

No other team in this league but Seattle deserved this cup as much as we did, the Sounders story has been a great one and their season ending like this for them must be truly epic.

They came from the bottom, changed coach, fought their way to the playoffs to face Toronto FC at BMO field in freezing cold temperatures, defended against relentless pressure for 120 minutes and won the MLS cup in sudden death penalties. That's a historic story for any club and you can't take that away from them.

8 years ago they proved that that TFC fans werent an anomaly and soccer and MLS could grow much bigger and fill larger stadiums, they proved that expansion teams could make the playoffs and that 5 year plans were redundant, this year they proved that dumping a coach mid season doesnt mean the new coach cant succeed. Nice one.

No other team's fans have been as loud in our stadium, you have no idea how much it hurt to see and hear you all celebrating post game as we left.

I dont think you were the better team, but we couldn't have lost to a better team this season.

Enjoy your win, and covering that cup with puke green ribbons and shit, you kind of deserve it.

Congratulations you won on penalty kicks and did not get a shot on goal in 120 minutes!
    don't be embarrassed be proud
    Last edited by stevep; 12-11-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post

Thanks, just got back from the airport where the scene was absolute bedlam welcoming the team back. There was a ton of local and national media there so you'll see something on MLSSoccer probably tonight or tomorrow.

I want to say, as I said in the other thread Toronto has a special place in my heart as I used to visit your city about every other summer as a kid growing up (I would see my relatives in upstate NY and we'd travel to Toronto). So I am very familiar with your city and know how great it is.

Our front office took cues from yours when we were awarded a "promotion" in 2008 to MLS. You guys let our Seahawks laiden front office know that in this brand of football the supporters should lead the chants, didn't want or need cheerleaders or jumbotrons (cause we have capos) and that things should grow organically.

Which it did on that cold night of our opening match vs Red Bull NY. All of us standing, all of us jumping and free to do so, just as you all showed the league in 2007.

For that I thank you all. In some ways you could say "Toronto invented Seattle" (joke).

In all seriousness though...

If our team had not won I would not have been nearly as sad to see you guys lift the trophy after the decade you've all had to endure. From that scammer Mo Johnston to the inept Aron Winter to the Big Bloody Fail. Yours would have been a story of redemption. And in many ways even with the loss in penalties, it still is.

Yep we've seen your history (we get the CBC via CBUT on cable in Seattle). We know the dulcet tones of Nigel Reed and know how many times things looked hella grim.

This season was different though. I watched your epic matches vs Montreal and was especially scared after seeing the pace and ferocity of your attack in the 2nd leg at BMO.

I totally thought this would end up being the highest scoring MLS Cup but Alan Kelly decided he'd rather let brute force than skill decide the game and that worked against both of our skill players.

You have nothing to be ashamed of, you were the better team for 120 minutes and even a few of our players said as much. But that's football. We've had many losses where we were the better team, and in important games in the playoffs, CCL, and US Open Cup so I know some of the pain most of you are feeling.

That said, you all proved you are the best club in Canada. And for that be proud, be bold, be brave and be ready to be at the final game again next year. The culture around your club has changed.

And perhaps that is the greatest win of all. Good luck to all of you in the transfer window and season ahead.
    Last edited by RaveGreen; 12-11-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Congratulations you won on penalty kicks and did not get a shot on goal in 120 minutes!
    don't be embarrassed be proud
    That's one way to look at it.

Another way would be to say the way we did it underscores how silly the MLS Cup playoffs and final are in deciding the league champion. You might not know this but most Seattle fans have long argued the Supporters Shield should be the true champion and that we should go back to playing a balanced schedule like most football leagues around the world do.

How better to make this point than the way we won?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I like this guy

Amen to a Table Champion.

That said, it was something exciting to be a part of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1.

I also want to say that I am happy for Stefan Frei. He will always be our guy too, at least a little bit.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Dallas was the best soccer team in MLS this year. Seattle won the cup - congrats. We'll win the league and the cup next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to all, this season was epic for both our teams and will never be forgotten. Respect your fans, hearing you guys sing This Is Our House in the penalty kicks was a kick in the teeth. Just wait until we play a game of this magnitude in your home... rematch next season? Lets go!
    Last edited by Couchy81; 12-12-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said by both parties. Both of you touched up on a lot of talking points and there's really not much more to say. I mentioned to a few of the guys that Stefan Frei left TFC a "boy" and came back a "man". Hell of a keeper and its a shame he didnt have the defence in place then, to showcase his true talent. Seattle's season was also turbulent at times and we have to commend the fact that they even made the playoff. To make it this far with a coaching change mid season is a feat in itself.

I read most of the posts from the thread that was locked and I appreciate the friendly banter. I think we as Toronto fans are going to have to let this one fade out gradually since it was a terrible way to lose and it's going to hurt, every time you see a match highlight, re-living THAT save, or taking a look at the match stats.

Shout out to the travelling fans. You guys have one hell of a stadium also, and are definitely up there when it comes to creating a powerful atmosphere for game days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle need a new stadium of there own, or have more control of the field, come playoffs I've seen Seattle sounders playing on a field with many visible NFL Seahawks markings. The club is so well supported but have to put up with that shit come playoffs, and it's bad for MLS (New England should get the boot out of MLS if they don't get a new stadium, they are disgraceful to MLS with there stadium) Toronto FC this year showed with an expensive real grass system, and lighter grid iron painting marks the field can rub off the CFL Toronto Argos markings and have a top notch field. They also had a 2nd pitch growing north of the city just in case they needed to move it into BMO Field. Not just half ass scrub the lines off like in Seattle. Toronto had a beauty pitch through out the year, even with a quick 2 day change over from gridiron to soccer. At the very least Seattle Sounders need to invest millions on a new pitch.
    Last edited by james; 12-12-2016 at 02:30 AM.