Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Seba rumor is true, im not surprised and have said as much. Hell, rumors suggest Carlitos is looking to leave already. No surprise there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Giovinco declined an offer from China: he said ‘no’ to Beijing
    http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/giovi...-no-to-beijing
    There are translation issues, and of course who the hell knows, but this hardly sounds like it's over.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-21-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree its not over but there's a fat lady getting ready to sing. What it sounded like was D'Amico doesn't think too much of the negotiating style and neither Giovinco nor TFC have heard a $ value figure that bashes down the mental and institutional barriers to getting this done. I'm also not sold on that figure = wages because as we've seen the CSL offers include both the transfer fee and the wages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll reiterate lifestyle as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't bet, but if I did, I would throw money down that Giovinco will see out his contract here, with the only exception being if we win the Cup first.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, the fickle hand of fate has meant Yordi Reyna, supposedly coming here but who went to Vancouver has gone down injured with a broken foot - out until the summer. Vancouver just lost its depth at striker.

As we know given the injuries we had last season, the fickle hand of fate can hurt any team at any time. Depth who are used to the rest of the team wins in this league more often then not. This is the season where we will see that pretty much whomever comes on the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    the only exception being if we win the Cup first.
    id cosign this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez' goal for Barca vs. Rubin Kazan in 2010 (starting at 01:12).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg0...x-sports_sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Giovinco declined an offer from China: he said ‘no’ to Beijing

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/giovi...-no-to-beijing
    Now the agent is trying his luck with Gianluca.

Give it up buddy. MLSE is not buying this BS.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Now the agent is trying his luck with Gianluca.

Give it up buddy. MLSE is not buying this BS.
    Agreed. Seba is not going anywhere, his team mates realize this and think the whole thing is a joke (remember them writing "happy birthday" in Chinese). The agent is trying to play the game and get more money, that's what agents do. I predict Seba stays, maybe even if we win the cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting. Literally no one (ex me) thinks this is real.

I love Seba, but he long ago stepped out of his comfort zone to seek money and adventure.

Is this really 99-1 against?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I love Seba, but he long ago stepped out of his comfort zone to seek money and adventure.

Yes it is. He was seeking money and RESPECT. He has it here, in spades. Our little Napoleon is not going anywhere...not even China, unless he drops off his production considerably (gets old), sort of like Obafemi Martins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that Seba's good mate Carlos Tevez apparently already wants out and back to Boca...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a little kid. Do you think he wants his kid to be subject to the life-threatening Beijing smog (where you can't go outside to play even) and be forced to go to school in the Chinese state system (where they indoctrinate kids)? Where there will be no other Italians even to talk to? As many parents discover, some things are more important than money, and that is especially valid if you are already earning USD$7.1 million.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good conversation with Victor Vazquez yesterday. Very engaging. Think supporters are going to like this guy. Seems to have time for everyone, including lingering media types like myself. Here's our conversation http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/21...about-teamwork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He has a little kid. Do you think he wants his kid to be subject to the life-threatening Beijing smog (where you can't go outside to play even) and be forced to go to school in the Chinese state system (where they indoctrinate kids)? Where there will be no other Italians even to talk to? As many parents discover, some things are more important than money, and that is especially valid if you are already earning USD$7.1 million.
    Adding to this, I believe he might be expecting another, too. Though that's not confirmed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Very good conversation with Victor Vazquez yesterday. Very engaging. Think supporters are going to like this guy. Seems to have time for everyone, including lingering media types like myself. Here's our conversation http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/21...about-teamwork

Really enjoyed this Kurt. Cheers!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Interesting that Seba's good mate Carlos Tevez apparently already wants out and back to Boca...
    I thought I had read an article saying that effective this March the Chinese league has had its foreign content rules changed and now most will be relegated to the bench. If that is the case, expect to see a mass exodus in the next window.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I thought I had read an article saying that effective this March the Chinese league has had its foreign content rules changed and now most will be relegated to the bench. If that is the case, expect to see a mass exodus in the next window.
    Yes.They changed the rules so that 3 forgieners could only take the pitch at one time. Some forgien players have left already.

Tevez apparently is pulling a bit of a Defoe, so to speak...

Not what he expected, family not happy etc etc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding to this, I believe he might be expecting another, too. Though that's not confirmed.
    That would be 3 kids all under 6.

Guy might be spending some time off next Christmas recovering from some laser surgery.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys there'e no point in still discussing the seba to china rumour at this point. the chinese transfer window closes in 4 days and gio has been and remains on tour with TFC.

no way they get a deal done that fast. also seeing how close to the beginning of the season it is, no way MLSE lets him leave now.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    guys there'e no point in still discussing the seba to china rumour at this point. the chinese transfer window closes in 4 days and gio has been and remains on tour with TFC.

no way they get a deal done that fast. also seeing how close to the beginning of the season it is, no way MLSE lets him leave now.
    That being said, its leaked out that the offer to him was for 10.5 million a year but he turned it down. Sounds like the agent trying to get a raise IMO
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    None of us can see into anyone else's heart. All of this could be 100% true.

But it's the dismissal of the possibility that amuses me. Chinese state schools! Do have any idea how many high income Canadians, Italians, westerners in general, live in Beijing, live with the smog, and send their kids to fancy private schools? It's in the tens of thousands. (and btw, if he winds up in Shanghai or somewhere else, the smog may not be worse than here or Los Angeles)
    Last edited by ensco; 02-22-2017 at 12:46 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waking the Red is reporting on the amount offered to Seba:

http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/2/2...-transfer-news

I think we shouldn't underestimate how comfortable Seba seems to be in Toronto. Look at Vazquez, who can't stop talking about how great Toronto is after only a few visits (I agree with him heartily, BTW). An extra $3MM a year isn't nothing, but he is not doubling or tripling his salary. And I bet at this point, it isn't just his decision. My wife always tells me that I am welcome to take a job transfer to the states if I want, just keep in mind that that when I move, I will be going by myself!

It is nice to see our players so committed to our city...though it does help that it is such a fabulous place!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh - I think we just leave this until something happens, no point of speculating.

But I wouldn't drink the cool aid of "everyone loves it here" overly. I'm sure every prospective athlete over the age of 12 these days has it drilled into them the masses are deeply self conscious so you must tell them how much you love their city all the time or they assume you think it's terrible. The same thing came out of the Jays locker room in the 80s. Toronto's a nice city but doubt too many guys are really attached.

Shit, I travel for business frequently and as the supposedly swanky big-city professional I wax poetic on everyone who wants to hear how great their town is.

We all know it's cliche and sense it to be a little fake but partake in it anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The air polution in major Chinese cities makes playing soccer there a health risk. He has a young child. He is already quite rich. A chinese offer would need to be over $10 mil per season for him to leave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of us can see into anyone else's heart. All of this could be 100% true.

But it's the dismissal of the possibility that amuses me. Chinese state schools! Do have any idea how many high income Canadians, Italians, westerners in general, live in Beijing, live with the smog, and send their kids to fancy private schools? It's in the tens of thousands. (and btw, if he winds up in Shanghai or somewhere else, the smog may not be worse than here or Los Angeles)
    People aren't dismissing the possibility, they're dismissing the probability.

The only source for this so far has been his agent, to friendly bloggers he know won't make a wit of effort to verify.

No source in Chinese media, no source in Canadian media. It smells like the guy's agent knows he can get more there and is using it to negotiate for a raise here. Business as usual, but not a realistic transfer story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^jloome, you know I love you, but give me a break. Posts on this topic are running 97-3 on how it's impossible that Giovinco would even consider this, and how this is just all about his agent freelancing.

The agent, more likely than not, has run this by his client. That is the probabilty. The idea that major agents are cowboys that would hurt their clients unilaterally can be a useful fiction, and seems to be a staple of the British tabloids, but let's be serious.

That does not mean Seba is going. Nor does it mean that Seba is trying to renegotiate his deal.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-22-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my piece today: Alseth could be front-runner to replace Mark Bloom.
    Toronto FC think they found a hidden gem in the draft.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22...p-vs-minnesota

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my piece today: Alseth could be front-runner to replace Mark Bloom.
    Toronto FC think they found a hidden gem in the draft.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22...p-vs-minnesota
    Alseth is listed as Midfielder/Defender on TFC's website, is he a natural RB?