Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, his English is excellent. Hope he does well here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    TFC needs goals from the midfield, this guy doesn't necessarily bring that. Hard to argue with his resume, but we should concern ourselves more with his last season in Mexico than his distant past as a fringe player with Barca. Looks like a positive signing, but I'd like some info on his form in Mexico. Doesn't look like he lit it up.
    If we used that rationale we wouldn't have signed altidore. Like all signings there comes a risk factor but we have to hope and assume our scouting was thorough on him

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... does this mean Messi signs for TFC few yrs down the line?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see this as additive, he's a serious attempt to upgrade.

He replaces one of Cooper or Osorio. Since Copper just signed, Osorio must be going to the bench (and, let's face it, there is a real probability it's all the way out the door)

I would have preferred it if they had given Osorio one more half season, but maybe they had to do this to get the guy they want now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy did a great welcome interview. I love his character and hope that desire to make the team the best is real. I love the attitude amongst this team. Makes me proud.

As for osorio/Chapman this doesn't mean anything bad for them. There are plenty of games, likely a few injuries , Canadian championship and don't forget there was suppose to be a bunch of extra games for champions league which Wil happen early next year. There's plenty of games for the players and they will just hAve to work harder and use their opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently he was about to sign with Greek club Panathinaikos a few weeks ago but didn’t pass the medical: https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieu...er-naar-europa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met with TFC's Greg Vanney today in Orlando shortly after the Vazquez deal. Here's what he had to say:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/20...victor-vazquez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Definitely appears he has a bit of a history of injuries.

Plan must be to rotate the midfield at least moderately this season. I think competition for spots (outside of Bradley) will be intense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    If we used that rationale we wouldn't have signed altidore. Like all signings there comes a risk factor but we have to hope and assume our scouting was thorough on him
    Jozy was a different case. He was 25, had MLS experience, was one of America's poster boys (required no real scouting), and wasn't brought up through one of the world's most alluring youth ranks.

We also signed Herc from Mexico.

I'm not saying Vazquez is washed up, only that we shouldn't get too caught up in what he once was (or thought to become). Could work out wonderfully, here's hoping.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    I met with TFC's Greg Vanney today in Orlando shortly after the Vazquez deal. Here's what he had to say:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/20...victor-vazquez
    :thumsbup:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo23 View Post
    This man won 2 champions league tittles with Barcelona I believe. He has expirence we need
    He had 3 appearances for Barcelona in 4 seasons. So it's not like he has all this Champions League / LA Liga experience. He played for the B team, which is still good, but let's not pretend he's some former Barca major star

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team is clearly in "win now" mode.

Vazquez should prove very useful against Mexican sides in the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most honest statement is that he was a Club Brugge veteran and had a recent stint in Liga MX where he was unsettled. All this Barca nonsense just raises unrealistic expectations. I'm concerned about his injury history mainly. Also he's not going to be a goal scorer, assists will be the stat to watch for him.

edit: I'm not negative on the signing, although I was hoping to see what Chapman could do. If he fits in, and Seba gets 5 or 6 more goals than he would have, then life will be good.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 02-20-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I see it, He's going to take Osorio's spot just behind Seba and Jozy. Bradley/Cheyrou will play in front of the back three while the wingbacks and other midfielder will be based on the opponent. I don't think that's bad for Osorio long-term because I think the new guy is probably only going to last 2 seasons before he loses a step that makes him no longer viable to be a MLS starter. However, he also has a ton of experience that I think he will be passing on to the younger players and I think that's one of the reasons they brought him in. Bez seems to have a rather holistic approach to team buildings/chemistry that seems to be working so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he can take the task of creating goals away from Giovinco - holy shit. Look out.
    I like Osorio, but getting a creative upgrade over him in midfield can only be a good thing. I also means our depth midfielders are Cheyrou, Osorio, Delgado, and Chapman. I would feel confident slotting any of those guys in and not losing too much quality or rhythm. Cheyrou, Osorio, and Delgado have all been starters and have been with the team a few seasons now, and Chapman still has a lot of potential upside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A look at our lineup and depth, including a few players not officially signed yet but that I expect will get a contract.

We look extremely deep, especially the midfield 3. We could have our starting 3 mids injured and still put out a very, very good side.

I expect some of the third-stringers to get time with TFC II (Aubrey, Camargo, Babouli, Spencer assuming he is signed, maybe even Endoh). I think one of Simonin or Brunell will get a contract, they are both left-footed and they would fill the backup LCB role. With Simonin starting with the first team in the game yesterday I assume he has the edge.

Now I'm just curious as to whether Luis Pereira has actually joined with the team or not. Haven't heard anything since Arabe Unido claimed he was coming on trial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could be stock piling u23 talent from the Americas and throwing them into TFC 2 as a year long trial. So Pereira, Andrews, and John could all possibly be playing for the first team some time soon. I'm all for this approach.

PS. We still need a RB.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez discusses the move.

Edit - didn't see the prior posting of the video.

Dude has no manager, it seems. Very big on family.

We are building quite the academy coaching staff in a few years.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-20-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is really kind of a shocking move, and it's not one that's 100% addressing a need.

Is there any chance this means that the club fears that Gio might be going to China?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What? The guy is a CAM that we had been looking for and he fills a void that we needed, especially if you want someone experienced in that role. Not sure why you're so nega time about this and throwing out conspiracy theories....?

This allows Vanney to play multiple formations while keeping all our players active. Osorio, Chapman, Delgado et al will get theit minutes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The most honest statement is that he was a Club Brugge veteran and had a recent stint in Liga MX where he was unsettled. All this Barca nonsense just raises unrealistic expectations. I'm concerned about his injury history mainly. Also he's not going to be a goal scorer, assists will be the stat to watch for him.

edit: I'm not negative on the signing, although I was hoping to see what Chapman could do. If he fits in, and Seba gets 5 or 6 more goals than he would have, then life will be good.
    Well along that line Richard Eckersley was the reserve team player of the year at Manchester United and we all know how his career has gone. I have always wondered about reserve players at the major clubs like Barca, Man U etc, Bayern etc. Are these players turning down first team offers from mid table sides in world class leagues to stay on the B team with hope of moving up at somepoint?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    What? The guy is a CAM that we had been looking for and he fills a void that we needed, especially if you want someone experienced in that role. Not sure why you're so nega time about this and throwing out conspiracy theories....?

This allows Vanney to play multiple formations while keeping all our players active. Osorio, Chapman, Delgado et al will get theit minutes.
    I never got this "we need an AM" thing, I said that all along. I think highly of Osorio, I don't think we can keep him if he's going to be a reserve.

I also didn't think Bez/Vanney would make this level of move. It's a risk to the chemistry.

I like Vazquez, best I can tell. Seems like quality. Is he worth $650K more than Oso, in our system? That is a big question.

Seems to me there are other shoes to drop here, whatever they may be.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-20-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps this is a good move, seems to have experience and is a thoughtful CAM that can possibly create chances for our strikers and perhaps bag a few of his own. I really like Oso and yes he did improve last year, but in my humble opinion is bench depth, I think Oso felt he was a shoe in, being home town boy and all , Chapman has more to prove, yes he has the skill, but he got pushed around far too easily.

So let's see what the season brings, I have faith in those actually getting paid to do the job of acquiring players to improve the team, as one noted above that Cruz Azul has been in a shambles for a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this is Will Johnson's replacement... looks promising. We shall see soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy - he looks pretty decent! Club Brugges...Cruz Azul...are both decent football clubs. Him Linking up with Gio and Alti... could be a fun season!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I never got this "we need an AM" thing, I said that all along. I think highly of Osorio, I don't think we can keep him if he's going to be a reserve.

I also didn't think Bez/Vanney would make this level of move. It's a risk to the chemistry.

I like Vazquez, best I can tell. Seems like quality. Is he worth $650K more than Oso, in our system? That is a big question.

Did you not find that we struggled to create high quality chances when Giovinco or Altidore couldn't be relied on? Especially Giovinco. We struggled when he was out injured towards the end of the regular season and we struggled again to create when he was playing hurt vs. Montreal and Seattle (set pieces saved us vs. Montreal). Adding a dangerous attacking mid means teams can't overload on Giovinco and Altidore because we have a third option that you can't afford to leave open.

I like Osorio, I don't think he's fully appreciated all the time, but he's not an AM, that's quite clear at this point in his career. He's excellent at maintaining possession and playing clever square balls, but he doesn't play the kind of defense-unlocking passes typical of an AM with any consistency. He does it, but only occasionally. If you show him a risky pass forward a lot of the time he'll choose to make sure we keep the ball instead. That's valuable in midfield but less of what you're looking for in the final third. I actually think he and Cooper are very similar players, with Cooper having a bit more flair and willingness to take defenders on.

If anyone on our team already was the guy it was Chapman. He's a true AM. His key passes/game last year was 2.41, highest on the team (Giovinco was at 1.93 and Osorio at 1.39). He's always looking for the through ball, as playmakers do.

Despite all the competition in midfield, I expect Chapman will comfortably pass his minutes total from last year, barring any long-term injuries. I think Vanney is going to be smart with managing minutes to try to keep players fresh come playoffs. I'd expect Vazquez to be a regular sub out in games where he starts, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

So you dont' think we need an AM, yet that has been a consistent comment among the players and staff... I don't know your background with the sport but I'll stick with the rhetoric coming from the team on this.

As for Osorio, this signing doesn't mean he's being replaced... it may mean he doesn't start every match but it gives the team the option to have a 4-4-2 diamond (bradley - oso/cooper - vazquez).. to go along with the 3-5-2.

Seems to me a CAM signing was needed by this team and will prove to be very useful to have yet another quality player during the gold cup or when injuries inevitably occur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to ives.tfc get 50k in GAM from minny for the signing of that swiss rb we were talking about the other day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Did you not find that we struggled to create high quality chances when Giovinco or Altidore couldn't be relied on? Especially Giovinco. We struggled when he was out injured towards the end of the regular season and we struggled again to create when he was playing hurt vs. Montreal and Seattle (set pieces saved us vs. Montreal). Adding a dangerous attacking mid means teams can't overload on Giovinco and Altidore because we have a third option that you can't afford to leave open.
    Can't say I disagree.

We had a tough time breaking down teams that were defensively set. Too often it came down to something like a training exercise watching Lovitz or Endoh try to pump in crosses from the flank (which ended up in row Z). Giovinco was dropping back to midfield to find the ball (not what we want). Having someone who can really unlock things would be great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I thought we were a streaky team, and the issues when we were cold were bigger than MF link play.

I personally thought, and posted, that our biggest issue was relatively poor wing play, which is where the move to 3-5-2 came from orignally.

I think Beitashour and Morrow can't be counted on to give us what we got at wingback in Oxtober/November this season. There will be injuries, mean reversion etc. So we "needed" wingbacks or wingers. In my opinion anyway.

I am fine with this deal, how can you not be? Maybe it will make us lethal. But there is risk. I am surprised we blew the whole wad on this single move and, like I said, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it will result in a broader shakeup of some sort. I fear it will be Oso's departure.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-20-2017 at 11:31 PM.