Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2016-2017 off-season player moves/speculation/rumours

Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who do people think we will sign once Bradley leaves?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 4 years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    Who do people think we will sign once Bradley leaves?
    Sampdoria? Kappa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is expendable from our club will provide hints of which positions we will sign for during the offseason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Who is expendable from our club will provide hints of which positions we will sign for during the offseason
    We don't have a ton of holes. Mostly just more cover in key areas like DM & CB. I'd also like a different RB if we do decide to stick with the 3-5-2. Beit isn't strong enough in attack...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has offers and why wouldnt he take it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we need a right back with a little more O in his game.and i still think we need a #10 type player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    He has offers and why wouldnt he take it?
    Because he isn't interested in those offers. As has been reported a number of times.

And allow me to quote something from Sportsnet last night. http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/bradl...cup-loss-fuel/

"Every guy here is going to have to take the time to let [the loss] hurt, let it frustrate you, let it anger you," he said. "… But at some point when you can start to process it all, individually and collectively, we can use it as more fuel for what we’re trying to do.

"We can use it make us even more determined and make sure the group is able to use this in a way that means that not only are we coming back to this point but when we do get back to this point that we’re prepared for it and we’re ready to take the next step."

Michael Bradley was first off the pitch after one of the greatest and saddest moments for soccer in Toronto. He needed to get off the field and into the shower. He needed to let it all start to sink in. And then he started to think about next year.

He was first off the pitch but his mind is already made up: he’ll be back and he’ll be bringing Toronto FC along with him.
    He's here for the long haul. The spec on him leaving is dead.

The expansion draft will take a player and Johnson is likely to move to somewhere where he can start. That suggests the need for a DM type. Unless they manuevere Cooper into that position, we'll likely be looking for somebody there.

Possibly also a veteran to come off the bench as a CD and compete with the young lads.

I also don't see us sticking with the 3-5-2 for a full season.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-11-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense to Irwin, but I think they should look in the off-season to upgrading to a world-class keeper. You can probably get one for $1 million as they're one of the quality positions that wouldn't need DP money and could be purchased with TAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont think they will do that,i think its bono/irwin battle in camp.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like they need a long-distance scoring threat. Either one of the current players alters his game to offer that more, or they sign somebody. Perhaps I've forgotten, but how often have we threatened off a long shot in the past few months? I feel it's just another element to throw in the mix, when teams are bunkering, shutting down Giovinco & Altidore. Also especially when the conditions are bad, and you never know where a long shot will end up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely it's Cheyrou's last game ? As much as I like him and will Bloom replace Beitashour as rumoured to be left unprotected . I don't think it's in Badleys DNA to give up after such a disappointment, unless TFC have different plans he'll be back for at least another year . He's made for big games . Not sure about Gio though . Where he stands , his effectiveness in playoffs ? I think if Irwin can be let go , they will find a way for the cheaper younger alternative . Will Cooper be here ? Loans over . And damn where can we find a Morris as per Seattle .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    No offense to Irwin, but I think they should look in the off-season to upgrading to a world-class keeper. You can probably get one for $1 million as they're one of the quality positions that wouldn't need DP money and could be purchased with TAM.
    In a capped league spending big money on a keeper makes no sense, exhibit A, B, and C Colorado Rapids and Tim Howard. We didn't lose because of Irwin...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I feel like they need a long-distance scoring threat. Either one of the current players alters his game to offer that more, or they sign somebody. Perhaps I've forgotten, but how often have we threatened off a long shot in the past few months? I feel it's just another element to throw in the mix, when teams are bunkering, shutting down Giovinco & Altidore. Also especially when the conditions are bad, and you never know where a long shot will end up.
    This makes so much sense, throw in a couple of Gashi type shots a game and this offence becomes instantly more dynamic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take a defender like Ciman first over a DP goal keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets ship out a very capable GK. Thats never come back to bite us in the ass before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wooo everybody's favourite thread is back for 2017!!!

Oil up your rollerblades folks!!!

I have a feeling it will be more dramatic than we anticipate. Upper echelons though.

I could of swore I heard something regarding Vanney getting an offer elsewhere.
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 12-11-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post

I have a feeling it will be more dramatic than we anticipate. Upper echelons though.

This.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Surely it's Cheyrou's last game ? As much as I like him and will Bloom replace Beitashour as rumoured to be left unprotected . I don't think it's in Badleys DNA to give up after such a disappointment, unless TFC have different plans he'll be back for at least another year . He's made for big games . Not sure about Gio though . Where he stands , his effectiveness in playoffs ? I think if Irwin can be let go , they will find a way for the cheaper younger alternative . Will Cooper be here ? Loans over . And damn where can we find a Morris as per Seattle .
    Giovinco was pretty damn good in the playoffs, despite not being at his best last night. He set up three (or two?) goals against Montreal and destroyed NYC. He was all over the Philly game, too, scoring one and involved in the setup of the other two.

I don't know about letting Irwin go. He was solid this season and did a good job. I think between him and Moor, we have good leadership at the back and Zavaleta and Hagglund are really developing well. I agree we will have to replace Cheyrou and maybe Johnson and hope we can sign Cooper.
    Last edited by Jack; 12-11-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TFC needs some depth at forward and a true centre defender. That being said, I think Paul Dickov, Joao Pinto and Olof Mellberg all fit the bill.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Giovinco was pretty damn good in the playoffs, despite not being at his best last night. He set up three (or two?) goals against Montreal and destroyed NYC. He was all over the Philly game, too, scoring one and involved in the setup of the other two.

I don't know about letting Irwin go. He was solid this season and did a good job. I think between him and Moor, we have good leadership at the back and Zavaleta and Hagglund are really developing well. I agree we will have to replace Cheyrou and maybe Johnson and hope we can sign Cooper.
    I disagree with this. I really like Giovinco and have no issues with him whatsoever but he was poor in these playoffs. His corner kicks, free kicks, just everything was off with him. I'm used to seeing a standout Giovinco and he certainly was not a standout in these playoffs, more like ordinary, especially in the last 3 games. Irwin showed a few flaws late in season, almost seemed he is a bit nervy, not bad but not the greatest.

Giovinco must of been injured coming in. I seen an interview earlier in week where he said his parents were flying in for the big game and he was excited to be playing, etc...thought then and there he would have a big game for sure, he just didn't have it though.
    Last edited by azorean; 12-11-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bein mauled on each every play will kill you, especially when cold. His free kicks have been off all year. Altidore and cheyrou could be taking a few more of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post

I think it was for usmnt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind signing Cheyrou for something in the region of 100-125k to maintain his current role as a limited minutes backup. He's a good leader to have around and can fill in in a pinch at DM or AM without a significant drop in quality. I imagine he'd be open to that as well. Johnson will explore free agency because he can, but I don't he'll go to a lesser organization just for more minutes. I'm not too worried about someone bidding more than his current salary for him either.

There aren't any players on the roster clearly making more than their worth and clogging up cap space, and there aren't any players that are grossly underpaid and in need of significant raise. Add that we'll be gaining cap space due to Moore, Gomez, and Perquis being off the books next season, and we should be able to make some nice upgrades if needed.

Should be able to use TAM to pay Cooper's transfer fee. Also wouldn't mind bringing in a left footed starting CB if one can be found for a reasonable price. Hagglund's distribution from the left side leaves quite something to be desired. Could let go of Josh Williams and use his salary plus Luke Moore's salary on a starting left footed CB and move Hagglund down into Williams' spot in the pecking order. Might also be worth it to go out and get a good winger or #10 for strategic flexibility.

Either way, we have a good roster and lots of cap space and allocation money to work with

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no obvious contract buy out this off season - I think that's a first for this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping they keep Cooper. I think he did more than enough to prove he a worth that cap hit, and even if the transfer fee ends up making his hit larger, supposedly they added more TAM again so that should be used there.

I wonder if Johnson will return or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh also, maybe bring in a starting caliber CB, pushing one of Hagglund/ Zavaleta into that 4th option.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    I disagree with this. I really like Giovinco and have no issues with him whatsoever but he was poor in these playoffs. His corner kicks, free kicks, just everything was off with him. I'm used to seeing a standout Giovinco and he certainly was not a standout in these playoffs, more like ordinary, especially in the last 3 games. Irwin showed a few flaws late in season, almost seemed he is a bit nervy, not bad but not the greatest.

Giovinco must of been injured coming in. I seen an interview earlier in week where he said his parents were flying in for the big game and he was excited to be playing, etc...thought then and there he would have a big game for sure, he just didn't have it though.
    He was mugged in every game. He dominated Philly and NYC and was very good making dangerous passes and corner kicks against Montreal, injured or not. He was completely manhandled last night with zero help from the ref. He didn't dominate like he has some other games, but he sure was a standout for the first three games of the playoffs, was good against Montreal and was somewhat off his game in the final, where he was fouled hard repeatedly with no calls. I have rewatched our playoff games a couple of times each and I am happy with his performance.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    Oh also, maybe bring in a starting caliber CB, pushing one of Hagglund/ Zavaleta into that 4th option.
    Do you remember Jordan Morris last night? Neither do I.

Zavaleta is one of the best young CB in this league.