Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's beyond the start of the season. I'd say chances are pretty good we're signing this guy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it. Absolutely nothing going on.

There is no better way to have a fast start than to preserve the roster of a good team.

I remember Steve Kerr talking about that last year with the Warriors when they started 24-0, they had zero turnover from the previous year.

(This year the Warriors probably have a better team, but their record isn't as good - key new players disrupt the flow for everyone)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

There is no better way to have a fast start than to preserve the roster of a good team.

I remember Steve Kerr talking about that last year with the Warriors when they started 24-0, they had zero turnover from the previous year.

(This year the Warriors probably have a better team, but their record isn't as good - key new players disrupt the flow for everyone)
    Did GSW win the championship last year? They're looking more likely than ever to do it now. Give me Diego Valeri, I'll take the adjustment period for an MLS title. While I welcome not having to drastically revamp the squad, if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse IMO. There are still holes on this team, hopefully Mavinga makes TFC better.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-12-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with playoffs, who cares if you lose the first 24.

just need to hit your stride for playoff time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Did GSW win the championship last year?
    Lost to the cavs in the finals :/

I think a measured approach is called for. If the right player comes in the summer so be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN 7m7 minutes agoMore

Ashtone Morgan underwent successful surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot. Out 6-8 weeks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson said something in a piece last week about TFC looking into using Endoh as the sub for Beitashour. That doesn't sound very good on the defensive side.

As for who is the sub for Morrow with Morgan injured ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Davidson said something in a piece last week about TFC looking into using Endoh as the sub for Beitashour. That doesn't sound very good on the defensive side.

Mavinga has played left back before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would probably be Edwards... also not great defensively. Hopefully Morrow and Beitashour can stay healthy to start the year. I feel like if Beita actually went down we'd put Delgado there before Endoh, though.

edit: Oh, yeah I forgot about Mavinga, he's a CB now in my mind even though he actually has far more experience playing LB.
    Last edited by notthesun; 02-16-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards. Probably the most natural wingback.

Cooper is probably a much better replacement for Beitashour IMO.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 02-16-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN 7m7 minutes agoMore

Ashtone Morgan underwent successful surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot. Out 6-8 weeks.
    This poor guy cannot catch a break. I hope it's not serious. That can be a very difficult injury to fully recover from.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a player were looking at, or maybe Montreal..but would be surprised if its the Caps'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post

Sounds like a player were looking at, or maybe Montreal..but would be surprised if its the Caps'.
    Caps already made a DP signing today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post

Doesn't seem to score too much and is listed as a defensive mid on transfer market so I think it has to be Montreal or Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ mariner scouting analysis. This guy may be a DM but shoots frequently and isn't shy about driving forward. Also has a broad passing range.

I'd guess montreal given the caps already have laba. Probably not all-out AM enough to be our guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stand down.

His agent has apparently said he's going to the Impact.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone else pointed out he was following montreal too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlsnews.net/jerome-thiess...ng-toronto-fc/
    Toronto FC is getting ready to sign 29-year-old Swiss full back Jerome Thiesson.
    According to blick.ch, the parties have already agreed on the transfer, and soon Thiesson will be presented as Toronto FC player.
    Jerome Thiesson spent last 6 years at a Swiss side Luzern, totaling 169 appearances and scoring 3 goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two words

Jonas

Elmer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I hope that Swiss story isn't true.

Signing a 29 year old fullback would tell me that we have overrotated into to some sort of exalted idea about the 3-5-2, and that's a system Bez/Vanney are building as an identity.

That reeks of the Winter 4-3-3 stuff, and flies in the face of what is going on in world football - excepting some corners of Italy (and even then, only sort of), the 3-5-2 is extinct

I like it better when we have an opportunistic view of formation, based on circumstances. Anything else constrains you too much, especially in a cap league
    Last edited by ensco; 02-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I hope that Swiss story isn't true.

Signing a 29 year old fullback would tell me that we have overrotated into to some sort of exalted idea about the 3-5-2, and that's a system Bez/Vanney are building as an identity.

That reeks of the Winter 4-3-3 stuff, and flies in the face of what is going on in world football - excepting some corners of Italy (and even then, only sort of), the 3-5-2 is extinct

I like it better when we have an opportunistic view of formation, based on circumstances. Anything else constrains you too much, especially in a cap league
    How can you make that assumption based on a fullback signing? It's not hard for our team to transition to diamond or 4-3-3 depending on available personnel. And based on 2 and a half years of evidence, Vanney is known to tinker if it doesn't work.

Fact is we need senior roster fullback depth after we lost Bloom.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 02-19-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    How can you make that assumption based on a fullback signing? It's not hard for our team to transition to diamond or 4-3-3 depending on available personnel. And based on 2 and a half years of evidence, Vanney is known to tinker if it doesn't work.

the source sites MNUFC as the destination now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

Agree re your view of Vanney, but Bez (not Vanney) has talked twice at least about "our 3-5-2 system" this offseason.

They are also talking about converting Endoh to a FB.

In a 3-5-2 you need wingbacks, you need a lot of them, and you don't need wingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    the source sites MNUFC as the destination now.
    Interesting release from his club...

The transfer from Jérôme Thiesson to the Major League Soccer to Toronto, which is reported today on Sunday, does not correspond to the facts.

The player has an ongoing contract with FC Luzern until 30 June 2017. It is true that clubs from North America have registered their interest in the defenders of FC Luzern, and that Jérôme Thiesson has the permission to negotiate with these clubs.

To date, however, no contract has been concluded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree re your view of Vanney, but Bez (not Vanney) has talked twice at least about "our 3-5-2 system" this offseason.
    Sure. Bez is also known to distance himself from the "technical" side. Team selection and formation is Vanney.

They are also talking about converting Endoh to a FB.
    I don't think we know what Endoh's best position is. Is he a winger, second forward, centre mid? He's been mediocre to poor when playing in this positions and he's been poor in general in the final third. He's got a great engine and he covers a lot of ground, maybe this is his natural progression. We've seen this before with players like Dan Lovitz and Robbie Rogers.

In a 3-5-2 you need to load up on FBs, and don't need wingers.
    This can be the said for the 4-3-3 as well though. Every year, Peter Vermes signs a number of fullback/winger type players. Thing is the 3-5-2, diamond and 4-3-3 are not that far removed from each other. They all incorporate a triangle midfield and have attacking fullbacks to provide width.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh also has contusions that nobody in the medical staff has ever seen before - apparently he has another one now which is why he isn't training with the full team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan per se of 3-5-2 but played with the right players it is effective as proved by chelsea this season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got faith in Bez and Vanney will do the right thing regarding players and formation, feel we owe them that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I got faith in Bez and Vanney will do the right thing regarding players and formation, feel we owe them that
    Yeah you have a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see anything to be concerned about.

Vanney is a very flexible manager unlike the ones we have had in the past.