Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle deserve respect. They played a tight, compact game, and while they were time wasting, they also tried to score on the counter with Morris (tell me every last one of you didn't have a near heart attack the 3 or 4 times that Morris was charging one on one down the flank).

It doesn't show in the boxscore, this is a problem with stats in soccer, but it worked.

Alonso and Marshall and Frei were all magnificent. (I don't think I really appreciated Alonso until last night - he played like Claude Makelele, on one leg.)

We could have won, should have won, but I wouldn't discount what Seattle did. They played a cold weather road game plan, to perfection, especially over the 90 minutes. Our best chances didn't come until added and extra time - and Seattle put themselves in position where lady luck could swing it, late.

I am not bitter, but I am gutted.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boys have no reason to hang their heads. We dominated the match from start to finish and just couldn't bury one. Frei came back to haunt us when it mattered most.

Penalty kicks are a crap shoot, and a terrible way to lose, especially when you thoroughly outplay the opponent, but it is what it is. Hopefully, we will be in the position to have another crack at it within the next few years while our core is intact.

Thank you for a tremendous run TFC. It was a wild ride, and the victory over Montreal in the Conference Finals still goes a long way towards healing last night's wounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This was pretty much my reaction too - the cold weather must have seriously affected Seba's game, as this would have been his first serious exposure to it (since obviously we never made it this deep before). Hopefully it's something he can acclimate to, to some extent.

And losing a 0-0 game to penalties is just the worst. Like you said, I'd have almost preferred a concise loss, over this coin flip.
    no i disagree, it would have been far worse and devastating and disappointing to lose 2-0,2-1 or some other real score in real time or even in the extra time when we were the favoured team going in to the game.

I really don't consider this a loss, i don't. it was a tie game that we dominated.

we were then asked to play another game a game of who can score the most penalty kicks, each team gets five, that game we lost
    I wouldn't be really happy today if we won that penalty kick game,
    Last edited by stevep; 12-11-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He wasn't a liability. We needed his penalty taking ability.

So many what ifs.
    I love Seba but he was off last night, unable to penetrate and conceding possession the entire match. Credit to him for signalling to Vanney that he couldn't continue. He could have made the difference in PKs but I understand Vanney's decision to try and seal the game in regulation by bringing Ricketts in...and it almost worked. Ricketts set up Altidore for that header that resulted in a heartbreaking save by Frei, and he came within inches of scoring the winner himself in extra time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a huge Bradley supporter , but I am now . He was a monster saving players ass throughout the game . He simply over thought the PK . And hats off to Vanney , although he unfortunately was too late introducing Rickettes , his game plan was WIN the game . If he sat back and played not to lose a la Seattle the game ( I think we'd have won), would have been simply horrid . As it was , many were saying it wasn't not an exciting final anyway . Ref , Kelly was trying to prove a point in showing the league this is how to ref a game . Unfortunately he did more harm to MLS by not protecting the 'skilled' players allowing them freedom to exhibit their talent . It was like past hockey where clutch and grab was the norm . With the world watching how many skilled players would be attracted to that final ? Everything was perfect all week for Seattle , the perfect underdog role , including Frei . These points seemed to be certainly forgotten . The team were not 'old' TFC , I've been kicked in the gut but , proud of the team and the class we showed Seattle fans . Well done . Nothing's easy for Canada's most critiqued city , Fook em we have an amazing foundation now , We're here to stay . PS , can we stop the high looping balls to a lone Gio . Wasted . Peace in the holidays . Amazing TIFO .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Ricketts created two great scoring chances. We were millimeters away from the subs being genius moves.

The problem with a Ricketts for Osorio move earlier is that Seattle was more dangerous on the counter than the boxscore suggests, they almost sprung Morris 3 or 4 times, and going 3-4-3 would have been a big gamble.

It's so easy to be a Sunday morning second guesser.
    Going with a 3-4-3 is essentially giving up the central area for width. Vanney doesn't want to give up the central area simply because of how dangerous Lodiero is.

The subs are fine considering Seattle is parking the bus while Toronto wants three central mids. We were the better team for a 120 minutes, but we lost to a shootout.

2016 is a very successful season and considering our 8 years of ineptitude, I would say we can claim the moral victory.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe we will learn that Seba was playing injured.

His body language, right from the moment they showed him getting off the bus on the pregame screen, wasn't right.

He goes down too easily, anyway, but last night he was doing it in so reflexively/automatically that it made me think he was only playing for the foul, that he didn't have the usual ability to accelerate past the defender. Kelly saw it too, and wouldn't give him the calls, mostly.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-11-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the thread to bring this up in (and I'm not sure if it's a '20/20 hindsight' thing or a 'sour grapes' thing), but:

Did Vanny make a mistake with his subs?

I mean, think about it – why bring on Johnson and Cheyrou so early? This is the only time I can remember where it seems he got a bit nervous and went for a more defensive mindset before we actually went ahead. Ricketts was probably brought on way too late.

He should've stuck to the same plan he did all season, which was to be the aggressor, and brought Ricketts on for Osorio first in around the 70th minute and made the other subs as necessary as guys got tired.

What do you guys think?

Right subs, wrong order

we are at home, Seattle playing for kicks, like you said stick with what worked and bring on Ricketts earlier and just go for it. Have cheyrou ready to go in case it's to open. Subs felt tentative.

i was was dreading kicks as Irwin didn't stop one all year but wasn't expecting seatle to be that good with their kicks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    no i disagree, it would have been far worse and devastating and disappointing to lose 2-0,2-1 or some other real score in real time or even in the extra time when we were the favoured team going in to the game.

I really don't consider this a loss, i don't. it was a tie game that we dominated.

we were then asked to play another game a game of who can score the most penalty kicks, each team gets five, that game we lost
    I wouldn't be really happy today if we won that penalty kick game,
    pks are a skill, so is stopping them, it's part of the game and we came out the wrong end, we had a great season but it's a loss at the end and it sucks any way it happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England lose on pens all the time, welcome to my world lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like the subs and Vanney should be questioned on them. I think he thought the same magic from Montreal was going to happen again.

Anyway, great season. I really feel for Bradley. Had a huge game. He'll be thinking about that penalty for a long time. This is a team that can compete for a few years. Hope we can keep it together.

It's going to be while before it doesn't feel like someone died. That's what I feel like this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I would like to say I am very proud of the lads despite the outcome.
    When we beat Montreal we won our cup this year. For all the lows this team has been through we should hold our heads high for the accomplishments we made this past season.

I would also like to say that Morrow pissed me off. Not because he missed the PK but because of his comments after the game. "The better team won"....no, they didn't. The better team lost. We outplayed them, out chanced them, dictated a lot of the play. Just because they won the game of chance does not mean they are the better team! Had he not pounded the ball off the crossbar and TFC lost would he say the better team didn't win?

Anyhoo....remember we still have Champions league to look forward to.
    Last edited by Alixir; 12-11-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    England lose on pens all the time, welcome to my world lol
    Walking back to the car after the game all I could think of was that Pizza Hut commercial with Southgate and Pearce and picturing it with Bradley and Morrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe we will learn that Seba was playing injured.

His body language, right from the moment they showed him getting off the bus on the pregame screen, wasn't right.

He goes down too easily, anyway, but last night he was doing it in so reflexively/automatically that it made me think he was only playing for the foul, that he didn't have the usual ability to accelerate past the defender. Kelly saw it too, and wouldn't give him the calls, mostly.
    I agree. Seba was missing his usual magic and seemed to mishit many free kicks and corners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am proud of the players... but it doesn't make things easier. I can't help but feel bitter losing to a coin toss after a fairly dominant performance. Happy for Frei .. but another bitter pill to take, given my thoughts on trading him away.

Would've been a fairy tale ending..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Walking back to the car after the game all I could think of was that Pizza Hut commercial with Southgate and Pearce and picturing it with Bradley and Morrow.
    lol yes I remember it well :@(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In another world this was in..

https://streamable.com/xa1k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never want to see that save again for the rest of my life.

Frei :'(

Great season though, best in our short history, can't be disappointed with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heads up. Football can be a cruel sport sometimes.

After last years debacle in Montreal, how many of you thought we would be doing this in 2016? We have SO much to be proud of.

But how can you not be excited for the future. We have a great President, GM, and coaching staff. Also, as we saw throughout the summer, we have great young depth players that will soon be ready.

I wholeheartedly believe that we will be able to follow in the steps of the Galaxy and Red Bulls as far as sustainable success goes now.

Cheers to you all, enjoy your holidays!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at it this way: At least we get to be gutted for the "right" reason (losing a cup final), instead of because we are beyond frustrated at what a shit show our team is.

I call that a victory, of sorts!
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I was nervous before the final, but strangely not so excited.
    I felt the same way. The Montreal game was my final.

As much as it sucks losing the way we did, losing to Montreal on our turf and having to watch them in the final would have been even worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    I felt the same way. The Montreal game was my final.

As much as it sucks losing the way we did, losing to Montreal on our turf and having to watch them in the final would have been even worse.
    Agreed.

Great season and we are well setup for future success. Off season should be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at it this way: At least we get to be gutted for the "right" reason (losing a cup final), instead of because we are beyond frustrated at what a shit show our team is.

Agreed. This was the first season I went to BMO expecting wins as opposed to cynically jeering. I went last night fully expecting a win. The culture has changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xG map for the MLS Cup Final. Seattle won a cup without ever putting together a dangerous attack. It's an achievement!
    So gross.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a kind of victory, that I will feel in due course, you are right.

But today ... I had another look at that play in the box in the 93rd minute, Altidore was a millimeter away on that one too...

We had 'em, and they somehow wriggled off the hook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Right subs, wrong order

we are at home, Seattle playing for kicks, like you said stick with what worked and bring on Ricketts earlier and just go for it. Have cheyrou ready to go in case it's to open. Subs felt tentative.

i was was dreading kicks as Irwin didn't stop one all year but wasn't expecting seatle to be that good with their kicks.

Agree 100%.....Cheyrou should have been the Last sub just like in the game with Limpact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactically, I thought we could have adjusted a couple things at halftime.

There were lots of opportunities to switch the ball quicker and make better use of our wingbacks, but the biggest thing that bugged me was how slowly we tried to counter when we had the opportunity, which played right into Seattle's hands. We'd win the ball and take three or four casual dribbles, pass sideways or backwards; instead of running the ball forward and forcing their defenders to commit out of position and make room for Jozy and Gio. It was driving me crazy, especially in the second half when Seattle pushed forward a bit more after the 70th minute or so. Seattle had time to reset their defense and forced us to put hopeful balls into the box or pass around the perimeter.

This was especially noticeable after we shifted our midfield to Johnson-Bradley-Cheyrou. I think we needed to keep either Cooper or Osorio on the pitch as long as possible based on how Seattle was set-up. We needed at least one dynamic player as a part of the midfield three, as the trio above all practically do the same thing to varying degrees.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Agreed. This was the first season I went to BMO expecting wins as opposed to cynically jeering. I went last night fully expecting a win. The culture has changed.
    Funny how winning matches and competent management tend to do that.

We'll be alright. Pick up a couple of complementary pieces this winter, keep up the form these guys showed us they are capable of, and we will be back in another Cup Final soon enough.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, last year we were over the moon when we clinched the playoffs for the first time only to crash out in Montreal.

This year we managed to make it to the finals after avoiding another k.o. from Montreal and avenging last season's exit, only to lose the final at home.

Hopefully next year the cup is ours before ever feeling any disappointment.