Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The 2016 Post-MLS Cup/MLS Season Thread

Well,

We were defeated via the exercise in pure chance that is soccer penalties, but we can hold our heads high that we outplayed them for the majority of that 120 minutes, even if we ultimately couldn't slip one by them.

I just wanted to create this thread for people to share their thoughts about this playoffs, this final, and this season. The Final loss aside, I think we have to feel pretty great about this team going forward. They really came into their own in the post-season, they all seem to love our coach, and Altidore has really found himself again.

So here's to the 2016 Reds. Thanks for one of the best sporting nights of my life, in the 2nd leg against MTL. Thanks for finally rewarding us as fans, after the years of drudgery and cynicism.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sure has been a good season. Personally I didn't think we would make it this far in the playoffs (maybe conference semis?). It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season given the expansion draft and the re-entry draft

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore has become a solid favourite, he had an outstanding end to the season. Seba was great but tailed off at the end of the season or some reason (tiredness, maybe he doesn't like the cold weather games?).

Also I think Zavaleta has been most improved through the season - I'm not sure how many times I shouted "great tackle Zavaleta" through the playoffs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sports is so often about tiny fractions and what ifs.

Morrow missed his PK by a hair's breadth. Ricketts' misfire on that volley in extra time, Altidore's looping header being scooped off the line ... we will take those to the grave.

Seba. He was off because the cold had a huge impact on the game. Lodeiro was invisible too, same as Osorio, and all the skill guys ex maybe Cooper. Nobody on either side got a single clean shot off during the game, even in PKs only Lodeiro and Morrow really got hold of the ball.

Seattle played for penalties and it worked. It looked like there was a sniper at the game the way their guys went down and stayed down.

I effing hate losing this way though. A plain old loss I would be more philosophical, but this is the worst.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-11-2016 at 01:10 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco apparently asked for the sub. I don't think he completely healed from his late season injury. Enough to play and even play well, but all the minutes caught up to him.

It was a combination of not creating quite enough, not being able to finish the few chances we made, and having bad luck on top of it. We were and are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win.

This sucks. We need to make it back next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the great season. We are no longer the bottom feeders of the MLS. TFC till I die!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if this is the thread to bring this up in (and I'm not sure if it's a '20/20 hindsight' thing or a 'sour grapes' thing), but:

Did Vanny make a mistake with his subs?

I mean, think about it – why bring on Johnson and Cheyrou so early? This is the only time I can remember where it seems he got a bit nervous and went for a more defensive mindset before we actually went ahead. Ricketts was probably brought on way too late.

He should've stuck to the same plan he did all season, which was to be the aggressor, and brought Ricketts on for Osorio first in around the 70th minute and made the other subs as necessary as guys got tired.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

finals always seem to be a lock down kinda of game.im ok in how we played.
    only a month before training camp i hope this club doesnt have a hangover like most clubs do after a run like this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was nervous before the final, but strangely not so excited. I think it was hard to beat the experience vs. Montreal, the ups & downs over two legs, and especially the 2nd game in Toronto of course. Also the series vs. NYC before that -- I can barely remember it, but it was great. I was worried that the final would be a grind, and it was.

First thing this morning, I wanted to listen to Legend TFC.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/redcity...594-legend-tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the thread to bring this up in (and I'm not sure if it's a '20/20 hindsight' thing or a 'sour grapes' thing), but:

I mean, think about it – why bring on Johnson and Cheyrou so early? This is the only time I can remember where it seems he got a bit nervous and went for a more defensive mindset before we actually went ahead. Ricketts was probably brought on way too late.

He should've stuck to the same plan he did all season, which was to be the aggressor, and brought Ricketts on for Osorio first in around the 70th minute and made the other subs as necessary as guys got tired.

What do you guys think?
    I was having the same debate with people around me. The first two subs guaranteed that we weren't going to lose unless we went to penalties. It might have been better had we made only one of those subs and then brought in Rickets to ensure we didn't have to go to penalties. But really when Cheyrou and Johnson both came on they didn't really make any real threat in our half.

At the end of the day, this doesn't feel like a loss because what did we do to lose? Or better yet, what did Seattle do to beat us?

I would have gone with Rickets earlier because I've seen this script before. Team dominates the game only to lose on penalties (btw I've said this for a while now but soccer really needs to figure a better way of settling games than this-replays are the best but that would never happen. Unlimited rolling subs in extra time? I don't know).

On a more general note, we shouldn't be too disappointed for the year. We could have easily won the Supporters Shield with our talent. We also defeated our biggest rival in the most exciting 2-legged series this league has ever seen. Look at NYRB. Consistently at the top of the table for the past 7 seasons and no MLS Cups.
    Last edited by PAOK17; 12-11-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hasn't really sunk in until now that we lost the Cup Final at home. So disappointing. I really thought there was only going to be one outcome last night, that we would emerge victorious. But things happen. All the same, I want to congratulate TFC on a great season - a season we'd been waiting 10 years for. They made us believe again, and I would prefer to think that this isn't the end, but only the beginning of something great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just keep seeing that Frei save over and over again.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sports is so often about tiny fractions and what ifs.

Morrow missed his PK by a hair's breadth. Ricketts' misfire on that volley in extra time, Altidore's looping header being scooped off the line ... we will take those to the grave.

Seba. He was off because the cold had a huge impact on the game. Lodeiro was invisible too, same as Osorio, and all the skill guys ex maybe Cooper. Nobody on either side got a single clean shot off during the game, even in PKs only Lodeiro and Morrow really got hold of the ball.

Seattle played for penalties and it worked. It looked like there was a sniper at the game the way their guys went down and stayed down.

I effing hate losing this way though. A plain old loss I would be more philosophical, but this is the worst.
    This was pretty much my reaction too - the cold weather must have seriously affected Seba's game, as this would have been his first serious exposure to it (since obviously we never made it this deep before). Hopefully it's something he can acclimate to, to some extent.

And losing a 0-0 game to penalties is just the worst. Like you said, I'd have almost preferred a concise loss, over this coin flip.
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 12-11-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I just keep seeing that Frei save over and over again.
    save of the year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Giovinco apparently asked for the sub. I don't think he completely healed from his late season injury. Enough to play and even play well, but all the minutes caught up to him.

It was a combination of not creating quite enough, not being able to finish the few chances we made, and having bad luck on top of it. We were and are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win.

This sucks. We need to make it back next year.
    He was slamming shit when he came off. I don't know. Those subs just seemed strange to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheyrou was an odd sub to make so early. Then to ask hik to press so high was also odd. Cold was a factor, but the poor reffing killed any skill on the night. Bear hugs, hand grabbing, short pulling was the theme on the night.

The ball didn't bounce our way either

PS field didnt look as good as we'd had hoped it would. An earlier winter and argos in playoffs would have destroyed it

Im not too gutted we lost on PKs. It was pretty obvious what Seattle was aiming for. They can have it if thats the way its won. I'll take the Montreal vs Toronto as the best game in mls history

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He was slamming shit when he came off. I don't know. Those subs just seemed strange to me.
    He was slamming shit because he's a competitor, wanted to keep going, but couldn't.

"It’s not like I take him off because I want to," Vanney said. "I look at him and he gives me the sign he can’t go anymore. When he feels like he can’t go, then he feels like he’s more of a liability to the group than anything."
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...r-mls-cup.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    He was slamming shit because he's a competitor, wanted to keep going, but couldn't.

"It’s not like I take him off because I want to," Vanney said. "I look at him and he gives me the sign he can’t go anymore. When he feels like he can’t go, then he feels like he’s more of a liability to the group than anything."
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...r-mls-cup.html
    He wasn't a liability. We needed his penalty taking ability.

So many what ifs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

What do you guys think?
    I didn't mind Johnson for Osorio, but the second you don't go to Ricketts with the second sub that means you're taking off a DP or defender if you want him on. Considering how it was pretty clear from the off that Seattle was playing for penalties it was rather baffling to go to Cheyrou. Basically just playing into their hands.

Even more disappointing when Ricketts came on and we almost immediately had two of our best chances of the match. The what-if for me of this entire match will be if you had Ricketts running at their defenders from the 75th-80th minute onwards instead of the 100th

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many what ifs.
    Such a tough call when there was still so much game left to be played.
    I think the right decision was made.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so thankful to TFC for an exciting season. It was a wild ride.
    Here's hoping they can stay healthy next season and dominate.

Losing in a shootout is a tough way to go down,
    but sports do their sporty thing sometimes.

Honestly, if it had to be a team other than Toronto,
    I'm ok with it being Seattle that takes the Cup
    because I respect their passionate fan base.

Huge props to the team for working their butts off this year.

And big thanks to all of you.
    It's been a blast going on this journey with you all.
    BMO has never been more electric than it was this year.
    Let's keep the passion going into next season.
    Last edited by flatpicker; 12-11-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Such a tough call when there was still so much game left to be played.
    I think the right decision was made.
    Ricketts created two great scoring chances. We were millimeters away from the subs being genius moves.

The problem with a Ricketts for Osorio move earlier is that Seattle was more dangerous on the counter than the boxscore suggests, they almost sprung Morris 3 or 4 times, and going 3-4-3 would have been a big gamble.

It's so easy to be a Sunday morning second guesser.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-11-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just keep my best penalty takers on the pitch. There was only 15 minutes to go at that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many what ifs.
    You have zero clue what was going on in his body, to make this assumption. Strained calf? Torn muscle? You are right about so many what ifs. But truth of the matter is that he saw himself as a liability and wanted to be taken off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just keep my best penalty takers on the pitch. There was only 15 minutes to go at that point.
    And what if he couldn't kick?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointed how things ended, but it was a great season for TFC that got people attention.

Toronto-Montreal series will go down as one of best playoffs series ever.

Next season TFC should be playoff team and probably even stronger team with experience they have now to play in big games. Plus TAM available, we are going to have a chance to sign really good player who can just make TFC even better team.

To supporters and diehards, this is just beginning of something special and I feel like there will be more people supporting TFC in this country now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he was that pissed and still motioned to be subbed off, then he was in pain. I'm not going to second guess the decision.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle - "Zero" shots on goal for 120 minutes

No luck at all at their end

Sometimes great teams lose to "learn how to win"
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it was a season that showed us all just how high the highs can be and how lows the lows are. Never seen a season put me through such a range of emotions, including as a Stoke fan.

We can and should all come away from this season with a few positives though, because what we have had to suffer previously renders this by far our most positive season to date.

We can come into 2017 with the knowledge that our faith is not misplaced, that we now know that our TFC is a real contender. Not perfect by any means, but a serious contender. That will make the off-season an intriguing prospect, as it will season 2017.

We now have belief. Belief that we are capable of achieving and also the belief in our players - to see the games played by Altidore and Bradley after many of us had written one or both of them off. We now know what they can do. Seba can and will come good again after a lacklustre three games.

But it's not just our DPs, we've witnessed wonderful performances from all of our starting line up and furthermore some fine cameos to cover injuries; some tremendous moments from Bono and those valuable goals from Hamilton spring immediately to mind.

Did we ever think we'd be able to hold belief in our coaching staff? Now we can, with the both many of the tactical decisions made in-game and the strategic acquisitions. A fine job in my opinion.

Memories. Don't forget the memories. We could never forget the memories of this standout season. So, so many. The obvious ones are 'that' game against Montreal - remember that feeling - we will feel it again. The Beatdown in the Bronx was simply magnificent. Johnson's last-ditch goal in Vancouver. They might be the primary ones but there are so many to covet and reminisce about for decades to come. We are building a history for ourselves with these moments.

We have proven to the city, the country and the continent the calibre of our fanbase, and what potential and enthusiasm for football exists here.

We have come a long, long way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not forget

""""""Toronto FC are the Eastern Champions""""

that is an achievement worthy of praise