Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I believe we will learn that Seba was playing injured.

His body language, right from the moment they showed him getting off the bus on the pregame screen, wasn't right.

I agree. Something happened before the Montreal series. He's not been the same.

That and I think maybe its time the guy take a game off during the season. He's not old but he needs a break periodically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, exactly.

2014 - We finally had interesting players, higher attendance and began our turnaround.

2015 - We got into the playoffs for the first time, had the league MVP, Golden Boot and Newcomer of the Year, a newly expanded stadium, as well as some great quality soccer.

2016 - We won the Canadian Championship, qualified for CONCACAF, got into the playoffs, stadium got modernized and built a new roof, hosted home playoff games (which we also won in exciting fashion), won the Eastern Conference Championship Cup, increased our presence in the Canadian media, increased our fanbase, made our owners a ton of money, developed a winning formula and played some exciting football, destroyed Montreal and set MLS records in a series, as well as hosted the MLS Cup where we came within an inch of winning it all!
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 12-11-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointed..... but not angry.
    Enjoyed every single playoff game. What a great experience travelling to Montreal as a TFC fan.
    Lets remember that we beat Montreal.
    The home leg is one of the best sporting events anyone has ever attended.
    Whats the saying? "I just can't get enough". That's how this team has me feeling; I cant wait for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a good year. We had a good year. We had a good game. Should have won. But did not. Disappointed, but very proud off all of them. We will back next year. Fuck Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oranje boven View Post
    Disappointed..... but not angry.
    Enjoyed every single playoff game. What a great experience travelling to Montreal as a TFC fan.
    Lets remember that we beat Montreal.
    The home leg is one of the best sporting events anyone has ever attended.
    Whats the saying? "I just can't get enough". That's how this team has me feeling; I cant wait for next season.
    No kidding! Can't wait for some Montreal roadies next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also. BMO is a fortress again. Teams dont come here and win through reg play. Every team was dominated at BMO.

This is still our house!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MLS needs to focus on improving their refereeing. They also need to either move or condense the schedule somehow so the playoffs are done before the FIFA break. Two weeks off in the middle of the playoffs is stupid.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Yeah, exactly.

2014 - We finally had interesting players, higher attendance and began our turnaround.

2015 - We got into the playoffs for the first time, had the league MVP, Golden Boot and Newcomer of the Year, a newly expanded stadium, as well as some great quality soccer.

2016 - We won the Canadian Championship, qualified for CONCACAF, got into the playoffs, stadium got modernized and built a new roof, hosted home playoff games (which we also won in exciting fashion), won the Eastern Conference Championship Cup, increased our presence in the Canadian media, increased our fanbase, made our owners a ton of money, developed a winning formula and played some exciting football, destroyed Montreal and set MLS records in a series, as well as hosted the MLS Cup where we came within an inch of winning it all!
    I also look forward to going into Champions League! Imagine if we get into MLS cup and CONCACAF final..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    MLS needs to focus on improving their refereeing. They also need to either move or condense the schedule somehow so the playoffs are done before the FIFA break. Two weeks off in the middle of the playoffs is stupid.
    I really feel that Kelly was good when he got here, but has gotten worse over time. Not just because of yesterday's performance; also some other recent games, with us & with other teams. There's an "After 90 minutes" piece on the TFC website, that shows Giovinco getting mauled on numerous occasions. I think most of those weren't even whistled, let alone carded. I often hear from others, even some Torontonians -- and even some TFC fans -- that Giovinco fakes things, or at least goes down easy. I think it's mostly bullshit. In fact, he often fights through bad challenges. When you're injured, tired, and in that weather when everything is going to hurt worse, those bad challenges are enough to kill off a good player.

I'm very happy with the overall season results. I'm looking forward to the next season. I think we could have multiple years of good performances, and finally some stability. But as much as I think their goal will definitely be to win MLS Cup, I'm also not going to freak if they put in a good year and don't get quite as far. We have to realize, many things also went right for us to make it to the final this year. If I see effort and competency next season, I'll be quite happy. I think there were many rough spots this season that they should work on. I hope to see improvement throughout next season, then we'll see how far they get in the end.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 12-11-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It is a fair summary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I agree with others that Giovinco did not seem 100%, and the cold could not have helped. When it hits -5 in Norther Italy, no one ventures outside. BUT the refereeing was a huge factor, I am all for letting the player play, but he was, and they have been, letting players beat up on Giovinco way too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night was horrible but I really think a year from now we will back in the same situation , MLS cup at home. I really do. We have a solid group of players, a little tweaking, some breaks, and we will be right back here. The thing that worries me is teams in MLS are becoming more ambitious, and there are more teams next year which makes it harder, look at what Atlanta is doing before they have kicked a ball in anger to see how ambitious teams are becoming. That being said, i still like our chances. We have the resources, we have the experience now. We just have to make sure we have a solid season and hopefully gain a top seed where we have home advantage throughout the playoffs. We have a window of opportunity here before things really become difficult in MLS with expansion , etc..., lafc in 2018 with their ambitious owners/plans...it is only going to get harder.

Would'nt it be something if TFC made some real noise in CCL, first MLS team to win it, not out of the realm of possibility. Something tells me we are going to have a good run in that tournament next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick read on twitter has united States of Americans calling Bradley trash and unworthy of being on the usmnt. Do they even watch him play?
    He is an absolute beast out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I agree with others that Giovinco did not seem 100%, and the cold could not have helped. When it hits -5 in Norther Italy, no one ventures outside. BUT the refereeing was a huge factor, I am all for letting the player play, but he was, and they have been, letting players beat up on Giovinco way too much.
    'beat up' Giovinco is an understatement for what happened last night. I understand that Giovinco gets a little more lashing here and there throughout the season due to his weakness in size, But last night was shameful! The ref let it play on and it only got worse.

The only thing that Seattle players didn't do to him was pull his hair.

This is another reason I would have preferred Rickets in early to play with Altidore and Giovinco between them. Giovinco and Altidore where double teamed the whole match.

I was fortunate to sit in row 7 and could see the faces really well. I felt really bad for Giovinco when I could clearly see his legitimate facial expressions in agony from the constant lashings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clint Irwin

120mins Played
    0 saves
    0 shots on target

Wow fucking highway robbery!!

End of...

See u lads in march....

Cant get over it.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC may have lost the game but the team sure as hell didn't get beat last night.

Football is like that sometimes.

And we know what it is to see TFC get beat.

Quite optimistic for next season, with more GarberBux (TM) on hand and BezVan working on fine tuning the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Let's not forget

""""""Toronto FC are the Eastern Champions""""

that is an achievement worthy of praise
    Agreed. And it was the product of a tremendous home and away series vs our rival. That's deeply satisfying for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely gutted. Would have preferred to see the game go to Seattle for a second leg rather than penos but those are the breaks. TBH beating MTL was the highlight for me, winning the cup would have been the icing on the cake.
    Hopefully next year we win the champions league, and play in the Club World Cup...Fancy a trip to Japan anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    A quick read on twitter has united States of Americans calling Bradley trash and unworthy of being on the usmnt. Do they even watch him play?
    He is an absolute beast out there.
    Let them have their opinion. And let us keep his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know when the schedule comes out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Anyone know when the schedule comes out?
    Mid January

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proud of how far TFC came and proud that Seattle didn't come in and have their way during the game. In the end TFC beat themselves because it came down to finishing your chances which we had and Seattle didn't really have any. Really proud of how the supporters took it to a new level for the cup game as well. I have never seen the east and west stands bouncing like our south stand and they were for a large part of the game or at least the second half because that is when I noticed it....upper and lower deck. It was impressive. Proud that we are safely out of the laughing stock of MLS years. Go REDS in 2017!!!

I do have one beef though....Seattle's buildings were green in their support for their team. Even NY had buildings green and red for MLS Cup support or so MLS says. When I was driving in our CN tower was friggin' BLUE. What the hell? Jays or Leafs playing in a playoff? I think that was the difference in the game. Got to be honest. Nice going to whoever controls that shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS should (continue to) be the league that changes how soccer is played. We dont do promotion/relegation. We have playoffs.

1. Do away with the home/home away goal. Make it a best of three (Sat, Wedn, Sat) series. Make it about winning games, not winning aggregate goals.

2. Do away with penalty kicks. There's 10 field players and a keeper. If you cant decide a game in 90, you play 10 minutes with one fewer field player 9v9. Golden goal. If no winner, you play another 10, 8v8. Still tied, another 10, 7v7. At this point, if still tied - it will have been 120 minutes, where typically you would have kicks. Instead, you go 6v6 for 10 minutes...
    The game would be decided far more cleanly. It could be wide open, very entertaining, and decided on a legitimate goal - not pk's.

MLS has the opportunity to fix the nonsense that was started decades ago. The above might not be perfect - but it's a big step ahead of what soccer (the world over) offers today. Nobody on the planet wants to win a championship - or even worse lose one - on kicks.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proud of the season, we had an excellent and entertaining playoff run - the type the MLS can use to build on, but that final was a disaster - and I say that not as a disappointed TFC fan. To have Seattle employ tactics like that hurts the game, as did that ref for buying into it. I understand teams tightening up and hunkering down for a final but not to have any shots on net and come out the winners is shambolic to say the least. It was dirty football by Seattle to be falling all over the pitch and goading the ref into either non calls or buying into the ruse. The real showcase and final was on a rainy night against Montreal.

MLS has to address this FIFA layoff during the playoffs big time, I would rather have roster struggles for regular season games instead of all this time off for world cups & qualifiers vs. shutting down momentum in a drive. I can embrace a playoff format but only if its done right. MLS has their work cut out for them, I am sure they will continue to disappoint though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looking at the MLS fan comments now for the first time since the game but I couldn't be bothered to read too much of it and came back to our forum. So much anti-TFC and anti-Toronto Supporter comments. Just because a couple drunk assholes decided to throw beer cans and poutine on the field at the Seattle player. I don't agree with that behaviour but man what a bunch of small minded people adding those comments and calling for sanctions against Toronto for future games and whatnot. Saying it is typical of Toronto and Canadians. Not even worth the time to read all that rubbish. They and MLS soccer staff are also taking shots at the fact that people on social media are saying Seattle was fortunate to win the game. Wiebe's article didn't even allow comments after it as they normally do because he knows he was taking a shot and so he didn't want fans to be able to add a rebuttal. It is almost like they couldn't wait for Toronto to lose to rub it in once more like they used to in the old days. Our team was still at MLS Cup and many of their teams were not. On to more positive things....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    MLS should (continue to) be the league that changes how soccer is played. We dont do promotion/relegation. We have playoffs.

1. Do away with the home/home away goal. Make it a best of three (Sat, Wedn, Sat) series. Make it about winning games, not winning aggregate goals.

2. Do away with penalty kicks. There's 10 field players and a keeper. If you cant decide a game in 90, you play 10 minutes with one fewer field player 9v9. Golden goal. If no winner, you play another 10, 8v8. Still tied, another 10, 7v7. At this point, if still tied - it will have been 120 minutes, where typically you would have kicks. Instead, you go 6v6 for 10 minutes...
    The game would be decided far more cleanly. It could be wide open, very entertaining, and decided on a legitimate goal - not pk's.

MLS has the opportunity to fix the nonsense that was started decades ago. The above might not be perfect - but it's a big step ahead of what soccer (the world over) offers today. Nobody on the planet wants to win a championship - or even worse lose one - on kicks.
    I hope all of what you said is never actually a thing. I am sorry, but we don't need to be the poster child for going back MLS 1.0 with stupid shit like run-up penalties. Let's keep some uniformity with the rest of the world.

I am on-board with the playoff format btw.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did TFC already have a spot waiting in the trophy case beforehand? Looks like it. ( : I am pretty sure it was put it to inspire, walking by that empty case everyday makes the players want to fill it.

Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 12-12-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Proud of the season, we had an excellent and entertaining playoff run - the type the MLS can use to build on, but that final was a disaster - and I say that not as a disappointed TFC fan. To have Seattle employ tactics like that hurts the game, as did that ref for buying into it. I understand teams tightening up and hunkering down for a final but not to have any shots on net and come out the winners is shambolic to say the least. It was dirty football by Seattle to be falling all over the pitch and goading the ref into either non calls or buying into the ruse. The real showcase and final was on a rainy night against Montreal.

MLS has to address this FIFA layoff during the playoffs big time, I would rather have roster struggles for regular season games instead of all this time off for world cups & qualifiers vs. shutting down momentum in a drive. I can embrace a playoff format but only if its done right. MLS has their work cut out for them, I am sure they will continue to disappoint though.
    They also have to avoid December for their showcase game. Half the league would have had frozen conditions Saturday night, it was minus 10 in Chicago.

The skill guys were all killed by it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mum View Post
    I hope all of what you said is never actually a thing. I am sorry, but we don't need to be the poster child for going back MLS 1.0 with stupid shit like run-up penalties. Let's keep some uniformity with the rest of the world.
    Uniformity for the sake of uniformity? Or uniformity for the sake of...

Nobody likes penalties to win games. Nobody wants games to go to kicks. If you can do something to change that... why not make the change?

An even numbered game series? That spells all types of disaster. Best of 1, 3, 5, 7. Not 2. You play sports to win games. With the aggregate system, that goes away. You dont play to win, lose, or tie, it's all about goal scoring. And worse, the insane notion that a goal there can be worth more than a goal here. I dont like it, and think we're in the position to say to the world - you've done things in a way that could have been changed and bettered for many years. You didn't. Shame on you. We will make changes.

I appreciate you disagree... but any argument of keeping things the way the are simply for the sake of doing so doesn't advance humanity, and never has. The current system is flawed. Trying to fix it doesn't necessarily equate to "stupid shit". As is, pk's and aggregate goals are stupidity.

edit: just think of it this way... if 2 game series and the aggregate rule never existed, wouldn't the reaction of hearing it as a suggestion be something along the lines of "what is this nonsense"???
    again, what if the world did not know about "shootouts". Wouldn't that seem like a gimmick and cause quite the backlash?
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 12-12-2016 at 11:53 AM.