Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    I watched on SkySports and the commentators were flabergasted at Alan Kelly's referee performance. This is MLS referee of the year? Hopefully it wakes Garber up to the awful state of PRO. The SkySports guys aren't exactly snobs either they're usually quite complimentary of MLS, but they thought the game was awful, in part to Kelly setting a precedent. Marshall's caution was harsh but I couldn't believe Alonso didn't get a yellow, or some of the tackles not even whistled for both teams.

Giovinvco must have an injury? He was pretty terrible all night, every touch of his seemed to bounce on to a Sounders foot or he ran into turnover. I hope he didn't ask for the sub because of cramp/embarrassment. Bradley was good until PK. Altidore was OK, but created some key goal attempts and buried his PK. Supporting cast was fine but Sounders did not allow TFC to create their usual rhythm. I hope they're all back, Cooper too. Johnson (where the attack goes to die) is overrated but his CC winning goal will always be special. Lack of attacking midfield is still concerning. Credit Seattle for grinding this one out. Credit TFC for the great season and unforgettable conference championship.

Personally I love CCL and look forward to it.
    I’m actually a League of Ireland first, which is where Kelly came from. I could tell you horror stories about his decisions. Saturday was bad, but he can and usually is a lot, lot worse.

Still hurting from Saturday, it’s a bitter, bitter pill to swallow. Made worse by the fact that we had the seats behind our Season Seats and found 2 Seattle fans in our regular ones, having paid $300+ per seat on StubHub. Really hope MLSE take action against any SSH who sold seats this way, particularly ones that were bought before the general sale.

I don’t buy Gio having an injury or asking to come off, his reaction to being subbed speaks volumes and I’ll say no more on it. He was having a shocker of a game, though.

Saw the players we’ve optioned and/or protected for the expansion draft today. Delighted to see Cooper on there. Johnson and Cheyrou not optioned, but hoping there’s negotiations. Tuesday’s expansion draft could be a blessing for us in some ways, but now’s not the time to get into that.

Anyways, first season as a SSH in the books and definitely signed on for many more. Thanks to TFC and the supporters for making it a very enjoyable year!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the temperature yesterday in Green Bay for the Packers - Seahawks game was very similar to what we had on Saturday for our game. In fact, with the wind chill, it was quite a bit colder down at BMO Field. Anything colder than Green Bay is way too cold, especially for footy.

Of course in Green Bay the Seattle team got spanked, too bad it didn't turn out that way in Toronto as well.

Highlights:
    http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvide...ers-highlights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts after 2 days.
    1) like many hate to see a final go to penalties and really do feel like we were the better team.
    2) I'm a SSH holder normally in 107 who ended up in 108 - crowd in 108 were generally displaced SSH but were relatively loud and we all stood for the whole game
    3) FYI - SSH's in 107 in row 15 and 16 - our seats went to friends and family of Seattle Players
    4) I've never seen so many quiet fans with long faces on the train on the way home - I think that we all truly believed we could do it
    5) Overall I'm happy with the season and for the publicity it has given the team - they've sold more seasons seats for next year and I expect there are better tv deals to be had for next year.
    6) we flew out to Vegas early Sunday morning and there were quite a few Seattle supporters on our flight. The one group I spoke with were in disbelief that they won without a single shot on target and to quote one of them "it sure don't feel like we won".
    7) huge shout out to the folks who run this board - if you ever need anything from SSH's outside of the supporters groups just ask!
    8) looking forward to next season already

happy off season everyone!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My feet were so frozen on Saturday, they were ice blocks, I simply could not feel them. In some ways it tempered my emotion of loosing as I simply wanted to go home and warm them. The feeling of putting them into a steaming bath of hot water is one I simply can't explain, it was such a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    So the temperature yesterday in Green Bay for the Packers - Seahawks game was very similar to what we had on Saturday for our game. In fact, with the wind chill, it was quite a bit colder down at BMO Field. Anything colder than Green Bay is way too cold, especially for footy.

Of course in Green Bay the Seattle team got spanked, too bad it didn't turn out that way in Toronto as well.

Highlights:
    http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvide...ers-highlights

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    My feet were so frozen on Saturday, they were ice blocks, I simply could not feel them. In some ways it tempered my emotion of loosing as I simply wanted to go home and warm them. The feeling of putting them into a steaming bath of hot water is one I simply can't explain, it was such a relief.
    I seriously had 7 layers of clothing on up top, so I felt fine there. I didn't have the right socks or shoes on though. But I really felt for the players. Not the right conditions for a big game, especially one lasting over 2 hours of straight playing time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of regulation, my brother (who couldn't make it due to training at his job in BC) texted me to ask if I was cold enough not to care yet. By the shoot out, I feel that a lot were too cold to care. Personally, when it reached the shootout, I thought that even if they win, it wont feel like a real win. And in the end, a loss didn't feel like a real loss. And instead of feeling like they missed out on a once in a lifetime chance, like when the Jays got knocked out last year, the feeling I had was that they would be back next year even stronger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was better in the stands than for the players, because of body heat.

I really noticed the cold at halftime, when some of the people dispersed.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To think people want us to go to a winter schedule, imagine that but playing in a blizzard and -15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hotties - toe/hand body warmers- i forgot my winter boots but the toe warmers worked like a charm - i was toasty - i had a body warmer on my chest, thighs, and seat blanket as well as glove warmers - it was like a summer's day, except for my nose....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone found a torrent of the game? I'd really like to re-watch and understand/punish my brain some more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    To think people want us to go to a winter schedule, imagine that but playing in a blizzard and -15.
    Yeah I wouldn't be there as a SSH with a winter schedule. December is nothing usually compared to January and February. We missed a big snowfall by one day too. We got lucky a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    110 isn't a supporters section and SSHs did not get their seats guaranteed. I'm in Row 18, on the aisle with 111 and it felt noticeably different. I'm not trying to say it wasn't rocking or was terrible, but it was a bit disappointing.

Not blaming the newer people either, as many were from the Upper deck and may never have been exposed to those chants before.

The 110-111 upper exit had the same problem.

EDIT

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm dragging down supporters. The newcomers in the section were into the game and loud. Great to see. I guess that I'm just gutted after a great and exciting season. Can't wait for next year.

Upper 110 is definitely a supporters' section. Has been since almost day 1. There's a sign on the way to the seats in the upper entrance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roca View Post
    Upper 110 is definitely a supporters' section. Has been since almost day 1. There's a sign on the way to the seats in the upper entrance.
    That's true, I had forgotten that I'm almost on the border of upper and lower.

But other than standing, do they officially have the same privileges (I. e. banners and flags) as the south end? Don't recall seeing much of that up there.

Do you know if people in Upper 110 had to pick seats? Either way, I was basically referring to Lower 110 as that is my section and below Row 22 or so was mostly new people from what I could see.

On a cool note, "This Is Our House" from the Upper deck above us was deafening.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    That's true, I had forgotten that I'm almost on the border of upper and lower.

But other than standing, do they officially have the same privileges (I. e. banners and flags) as the south end? Don't recall seeing much of that up there.

Do you know if people in Upper 110 had to pick seats? Either way, I was basically referring to Lower 110 as that is my section and below Row 22 or so was mostly new people from what I could see.

On a cool note, "This Is Our House" from the Upper deck above us was deafening.
    Usually my row would be the first row of the people standing, back at the beginning when I would actually be at my seats.
    My actual seats are Section 110 Row 20 and I got my seats for the final.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, nobody cares, but I will give my thoughts on what happened anyway:

- 125 stood the whole game, but much like much of the stadium, and the players, nerves seemed to rule the day. Had TFC scored a goal or two I think that would have really gotten things going.

- Alan Kelly was awful. Referees in all sports seem to think that it's a good idea to put the whistle away during big games. But when Seattle is constantly on the back foot soaking up pressure, they get away with far more because they're constantly chopping down Toronto attackers. And I can't count how many times it seemed like Kelly would call a foul on Toronto right after he let Seattle get away with the same thing. I'm surely biased, but holy shit.

- Someone previously in the thread made the comment that Seattle played cynical football. I can buy into that. They did not deserve to win based on that performance.

- Penalty kicks suck, but I'm sure the tall foreheads running the game will never change it. I'm not sure why hockey players in the playoffs can keep playing until someone scores, but precious flower soccer players can't. It seems like a simple solution - after the first 30 minutes of extra time, continue to play until a golden goal takes it.

- I think Vanney boxed himself in with his starting lineup and subs when it came time to put Ricketts on. It didn't make sense to take off defense to put Ricketts on, so it had to be Altidore or Giovinco. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have started Johnson over Osorio (who sucked) and put Ricketts on around 60-65 minutes for Johnson for the speed boost. By subbing in Cheyrou and Johnson previously, he had nowhere to go other than Gio and Jozy.

- Had Seattle fans behind us from California who paid $500 US per seat in row 9 of 125. Crazy buggers.

- The whole thing feels like a bit of an injustice. If Seattle had beat us in the actual game, I'd be ok with things. As it is, it just doesn't sit well with me.

- MLS, please figure out how to get some competent refs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would this be an appropriate place to talk about tribal rhythm nation.

I like the passion they bring, but they are so out of sync is ruins so many chants. They were trying to drum to the slow clap and were throwing off the timing, both times

Really wish they would adjust a little. And because their drum is up there, its twice as loud as the drums in the first row

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

I like the passion they bring, but they are so out of sync is ruins so many chants. They were trying to drum to the slow clap and were throwing off the timing, both times

Really wish they would adjust a little. And because their drum is up there, its twice as loud as the drums in the first row
    They should have been gone a long time ago. I am surprised TFC FO have not gotten rid of them yet. Is there a contract or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mum View Post
    They should have been gone a long time ago. I am surprised TFC FO have not gotten rid of them yet. Is there a contract or something?
    Id rather seem them be put up in the away section

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way we can drop the narrative about Giovinco being pissed at the coaches for being taken off on Saturday, or that he should have stayed for the PKs. "Giovinco says he struggled with cramps since the 70th minute. Thought it was time for Ricketts to come on and make a difference." (Quote from presser, via Laura Armstrong.)

He was pissed that he couldn't go any longer, but decided himself that he had to come out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time I posted since the MLS Cup. And I have to say, that game sucked!

Seattle was playing a Prekiball style of defense where they could get away with stifling, up big time in their end and thugging it up whenever they could, thank to a shitty referee who I wouldn't have been surprised if he was under orders by Garber to give as much help to the American side. I swear, in the second half, I saw Seba streaking towards goal with a huge field ahead of him, and two Seattle players came up to him and practically bodychecked him to the ground. And the fucking ref didn't call it right then and there.

Toronto dominated the stats. They had far more scoring opportunities than Seattle, who didn't bother registering a shot all 120 min of action. Toronto played to win. Seattle played for penalty kicks. This was the kind of cynical game that makes soccer haters like McCown point their fingers and go "SEE? This is why soccer sucks!"

I feel bad for the boys in red who gave it their all and ended up with nothing to show for. Michael Bradley played the game of his life, but he will be remembered for that muffed penalty kick.

Seattle may have possession of the MLS Cup. But you can't convince me they were a worthy champion.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My General! What class.

http://www.thescore.com/mls/news/118...r-mls-cup-loss

Toronto,
    I'm sorry. Sorry we couldn't give you the perfect ending. The ending that every single one of you deserved. Sports can be cruel. Not for the faint of heart. And Saturday night was the perfect example. We left our hearts and souls on the field. For each other. For you. For the city. And just like that it was over. Dreams shattered. Tears shed. But its not finished. It doesn't end like this. I landed in Toronto on a cold night almost three years ago. Ready to give you everything. And believe me when I say I have. And then some. I've made mistakes. Plenty of them. But always with one thing in mind. To give you the team you deserve and nights you'd never forget. If there's one thing I've learned along the way it's that it wouldn't be Toronto if it came too easy. The pain and heartbreak of the last two days have made one thing very clear. I've never been more proud to call TFC my club and Toronto my home. Together our time will come. #AllForOne

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

We don't make a habit to talk about other groups. We do have contact with them from time to time but they aren't as much a part of every game as they once were. That may change now but they have reached out in the past to try and sync with the rest of the groups.

It will always be a challenge.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER