Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: A Toast

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing jobs while also in the midst of a home renovation has seriously cut into my time online both here and on other soccer sites, but I'd like to share my thoughts on the last ten years and I don't think there could be a more appropriate thread than this.

I remember the weeks and months prior to the official announcement by MLSE that Toronto would be bidding for an MLS expansion club and back then speculation was rampant about the details. We had no stadium. We had no coaches or players. We didn't even have a name. But I think most of us just had this feeling that MLS in Toronto had the potential to be something BIG. Though funnily enough, when this group had our first ever meeting at the Overdraught on Front Street and were talking with some of the TFC sales reps, we were offered first pick at 50 seats in the Supporters Section - and myself and many of us were really worried that we wouldn't come close to getting that many RPB members signed up before the first match. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

Anyway, the years that followed are probably known by most. We had a lot of ups and downs both our supporters group and the club. I don't think many would deny that were quite a few times when TFC was just downright awful. Coaches and players came and left - with a few very vocally highlighting their discontent toward the club. But changes were eventually made and I think most were for the best. I think the management staff we have now is one of the best in the league. Tim Bezbatchenko is a man who deserves of lot of credit for how this club has been reshaped in the last few seasons and I truly hopes he will continue his role with TFC for many more years to come.

It's been a long ten years as a supporter. I've met a lot of friends over that time and was lucky enough to make quite a few road trips with them. Kansas City immediately comes to mind as just a great experience for me, but I was in Montreal for the Miracle as well, and made the trip to Columbus twice amongst others. So many memories. Like picking up a ball in Kingston and bringing it to Joe's for an impromptu kickabout at 11pm at Lamport. You know, I think I must have broken into BMO Field at least three times during it's construction just to get a look at the place from the inside. A few others I know did as well. I remember taking a banner from the first away match viewing at the Elephant and Castle and bringing it to the stadium just so I can return it and see the inside of the TFC offices and locker rooms by the staff.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I can't speak for anyone else, but in many ways, TFC has been the one constant in my life over the past decade. Relationships have come and gone (just like Head Coaches!), there have been times of illness in my family, a few deaths, but also the birth of my daughter in our second year. True story - I wore my jersey in the delivery room and was able to make the game the day after she was born.

All I can say is that, honestly, the result of Saturday's game probably won't mean nearly as much to me as it probably will for others. I mean, obviously I'd love to see another high-scoring win and have the boys hold up that cup on our home pitch, but just being there will be the ultimate experience as a supporter and I am completely pumped for the match.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 12-05-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh how can it be 10 years ...

Look at these kids ...

By far the most ridiculous photo taken of me in my RPB life ...

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else remember that absolutely absurd song the barenaked Ladies made for us in year two or three? IIRC it was part of a league wide branding effort, every team got a "theme song" made by an artist or band from the area. They were all objectionably terrible works, but there was beauty in the failure. They were all at one point archived somewhere but I'm not sure they're still on the internet. I'd love if someone could find it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Does anyone else remember that absolutely absurd song the barenaked Ladies made for us in year two or three? IIRC it was part of a league wide branding effort, every team got a "theme song" made by an artist or band from the area. They were all objectionably terrible works, but there was beauty in the failure. They were all at one point archived somewhere but I'm not sure they're still on the internet. I'd love if someone could find it.
    This ..

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    This ..

Honestly now I kinda regret bringing it up. It's so much worse than I remember.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Honestly now I kinda regret bringing it up. It's so much worse than I remember.
    its a Flaming Pile of Dog Shit, that is exactly what it is. Can't believe someone thought this was a good idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro wrote today this poignant piece:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toron...ttle-sounders/

The story about the iconic player being frozen out, that can only be about Mo benching Dichio and claiming he couldn't fly (John, if you see this, no need to comment, you left it the way you did for a reason!)... sometimes we fans don't realize the personal cost to the reporter in just reporting obvious facts.

Thanks to John: I'm sure I am not the only one who recalls his "farewell" to TFC and this beat. Thanks for sticking it out.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post

OMG, I remember this one.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have not posted much lately. My negativity and pessimism was a reflection of my dissapointment and frustration with a team that was stuck in the mud for so many years. I admit I used this forum as a sounding board, and reading some of those posts now is embarrassing. I applaud the rpb and other supporters for sticking with the team.
    Last edited by 69Chevy396; 12-06-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

The story about the iconic player being frozen out, that can only be about Mo benching Dichio and claiming he couldn't fly (John, if you see this, no need to comment, you left it the way you did for a reason!)... sometimes we fans don't realize the personal cost to the reporter in just reporting obvious facts.

Thanks to John: I'm sure I am not the only one who recalls his "farewell" to TFC and this beat. Thanks for sticking it out.
    That's a great column.

And thank you for this thread.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Beat reporter" is not a synonym for "Mouthpiece". I've always enjoyed John's writing.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe nobody brought this up. It was premature in 2008 to call TFC a "legend" maybe but it's still a decent anthem :

https://myspace.com/redcityramblers/...42053-35081678
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-06-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I can't believe nobody brought this up. It was premature in 2008 to call TFC a "legend" maybe but it's still a decent anthem :

If you listened closely they played this after the Montreal game
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I don't think I was paying any attention to any background music at the time, it was too much of an emotional experience!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was humming this the way out last Wednesday. Not a bad tune. Always thought we needed a "cheesy" anthem to belt out, but nothing ever really stuck. We should bring this back.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup I heard it, I was singing along at top volume. I got some interesting looks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The story about the iconic player being frozen out, that can only be about Mo benching Dichio and claiming he couldn't fly (John, if you see this, no need to comment, you left it the way you did for a reason!)...

No comment.

sometimes we fans don't realize the personal cost to the reporter in just reporting obvious facts.

Yep.

I'm glad I stuck it out.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad that "Legend TFC song", would love to send it to a particular radio station that I can't stand but I have to listen to at work every morning that plays the same song list from the 70's, 80's and 90's that during the Blue Jay run kept playing that "ok Blue Jay " song every morning during the Blue Jays run. Would love to send it to them and have them play it at least once on Friday morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Have not posted much lately. My negativity and pessimism was a reflection of my dissapointment and frustration with a team that was stuck in the mud for so many years. I admit I used this forum as a sounding board, and reading some of those posts now is embarrassing. I applaud the rpb and other supporters for sticking with the team.
    Chevy, you pissed me off all the time. But love your handle man. " Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor, me and my partner Sonny built her straight outta scratch, behind the seven eleven store"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get out!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Bloody brilliant that was great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"why can't we be great?" - tim leiweke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Chevy, you pissed me off all the time. But love your handle man. " Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor, me and my partner Sonny built her straight outta scratch, behind the seven eleven store"
    Odd, that I would spell disappointed wrong. Yup, now driving a car with a rear view camera, a dozen or more airbags, a gps, dvd, two ass warmers, and driving has never been duller. I bought 2017 tickets today, and a good seat for Saturdays game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Odd, that I would spell disappointed wrong. Yup, now driving a car with a rear view camera, a dozen or more airbags, a gps, dvd, two ass warmers, and driving has never been duller. I bought 2017 tickets today, and a good seat for Saturdays game.
    You are the gentleman, Sir.

but tonight tonight the strip's just right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a toast to a small group of long timers. If this description fits, here's to you.

Here's to you if you read the Esky's World blog, if you remember Ricky Titus, and John Carver's reaction to him, and John Carver's reaction to Jeff Cunningham missing against Montreal from six inches out (paid back now in spades, baby!)

Here's to you if remember Dero to Celtic, the Fuad rating system, Fake Tom (OK that's a bit self-important, but it's that kind of night!), the rollerblader, and if the names Joao Pinto and Paul Dickov make you laugh.

Here's to you if you can close your eyes and see Amado Guevara curling a free kick onto the top corner, or Javier Martina taking a long kick from Frei on a frigid day and burying it. Same if you can see Torsten Frings lofting a beautiful ball 50 yards right on the button to Luis Silva at Skydome.

Here's to you if you have a soft spot for Mo Edu, Marvell Wynne, Sam Cronin. Danny Koevermans.

Does it give you a chuckle to think about Adam Braz hitting the Cinesphere with his free kicks, and Andy Welsh scoring in the rain, and Andy Iro getting beaten like a rented mule, or Nick Labrocca scoring on a 40 yard free kick, that was pushed by a 40 mile an hour wind?

If yes, here's to you, and thank you.

Thanks for sharing the ride, and making it great.
    ensco, this thread is brilliant. Thank you. Fantastic. Incredible. Terrifying: SSH from day one, but who the fuck was Andy Welch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ensco, this thread is brilliant. Thank you. Fantastic. Incredible. Terrifying: SSH from day one, but who the fuck was Andy Welch!
    Andy Welsh was gona tear this league another asshole we were told!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[IMG][/IMG]

How could we forget the famous Jesus Banner on the famous road trip to CBUS

And 2500 hooligans taking over crew stadium

[IMG][/IMG]r4
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 12-06-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish winger that was touted as someone that big clubs in the EPL were interested in. He had a bit of pace and was the master of the pointless cross to nowhere.

Scored once, by kind of misfiring on a header and scooping the ball in with his neck, in the pouring rain, winning a game against the then league title holders, Houston.

Welshie was a good guy, as I recall.

(context - Welsh was the emblem of the Mo era, for me. Mo didn't rate MLS and ran this whole experiment around building the team around Canadians and internationals, as opposed to US domestics - we were all trained on Euro football, loved the idea of unsung Canadians that just needed a home. We were mostly inclined to agree with Mo's view, because it confirmed our biases, so his schtick worked for a while, until we all figured out the league after a couple of years and realized that Mo was just wrong. He wasn't all bad .... I'll stop now!)

Thanks for your kind words.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-06-2016 at 11:02 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we were all trained on Euro football, loved the idea of unsung Canadians that just needed a home. We were mostly inclined to agree with Mo's view, because it confirmed our biases, so his schtick worked for a while
    guilty as charged.

I think I woke up pretty quickly, maybe not as quickly as the original anti-Mo crowd who I bitterly opposed on these boards to my chagrin. My epiphany was roughly the same time as aforementioned 'freezing out' of Dichio to make room for Blunderbuss Barrett and 'the youth'. This was when I realised that TFC had been created to merely exist in the league and become a youth team designed to take free players and turn them into Millions of Euros, as we did with Maurice Edu. Carver and Cummins, being the typical mediocre mid table 'good enough' managers that they were, happily towed the line.

Nothing terrified me more than having a team that would constantly sell its best new players to bigger clubs and make no effort to attract big players to replace them, but that's what it looked like we were getting.