Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: A Toast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I remember that you and I were among a very few number complaining about the turf right from the start. The common view was that we were ingrates. There were also a lot of people who legitimately thought fieldturf was the future.

Those were the days!
    I remember when BMOfield, the stadium spokesperson came on after an embarassing home loss and explained that the turf was being enhanced, i cant remember, putting down new pellets or something. I didnt realize he was a rep though and I was drunk and I just blazed.

Something like, Fuck your turf, its an embarassment to football, injuring our squad and nobody good wants to come here and play on it, etc..etc..

He was like "OK....I'm out....wow"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point TFC fans have to recognize fully the role that David Miller had in TFC's development. He was a huge force behind getting BMO built and the grass put in. Regular in 225 and a TFC legend coming out West for Seattle and Vancouver matches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. Often see him on TV at the away games, and will point it out to people. Think he was a huge advocate for it. Who knows how long it would take to get an MLS team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's often at Shoeless Joe's, too. He's an RPB member if I'm not mistaken.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    No one has mentioned The Great Forlan Debacle of 2013. I'm mildly disappointed.
    They had his jersey printed and everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    No one has mentioned The Great Forlan Debacle of 2013. I'm mildly disappointed.
    Oh man I almost forgot that......I was so hyped at that rumour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about the fucking Impact cutting our grass on Nesta at the last minute......in hindsight it may not have been the worst that it worked out that way, but as someone who was hoping for our first full Italian player that hurt....

Seba was a nice consolation though lol ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread

Here are my fondest memories like most it's from the early years.

- Didn't know what to expect on that first home game at BMO but when "the all we are saying" started slowly and the crowd began to make out the words and sing in unity I felt
    somehow that TFC was going to be here to stand the test of time. Up to that point I would go to a Lynx game here and there and went to some of the CANMT games that were played at varsity and that first home game blew those out of the water. When Eddie Johnson was showered with the beer it affirmed my thoughts and feelings at the time.

- The game against the LA Galaxy at BMO Field Beck's debut in MLS. That first season had been an amazing experience to go to games at BMO and I could feel the electricity in the crowd that game and nothing has come close until that semi final against the Impact. The Who the F is Beckham chants was a great highlight personally for me since I was a David Beckham fan and I think those chants showed MLS that TFC fans were
    for real and Toronto Till I Die mentality was what would bring success to clubs.

- The second season that first reserve game at BMO field at 10 or 11am when a handful of us watched the game from behind the TFC bench. We welcomed Nick Dasovic and Chris Cummins to the team. We spoke with Mo Johnston and we found out that TFC would play Pachuca and Indepediente in friendlies and one of the guys immiediately posted the info on these boards before Mo told us not to post the info and we laughed at him and said too late. My biggest take away from watching that game was that even though the lads did high fived us on there way to the dressing room after the game Nick Dasovic, Chris Cummins, Danny Dichio, and Todd Dunivant all took a moment to say the words thanks for coming out to watch the game.

- The first town hall meeting when I finally realized MLSE and especially Tom Anselmi had no idea what they were doing.

- Meeting TFC at the Island Airport after the miracle in Montreal.

- The Real Madrid friendly at BMO where Madrid was taking it easy on us until DERO nutmegged one of there defenders. After that they took over the game right away.

- The CONCACAF Champions League run.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikers View Post
    My biggest take away from watching that game was that even though the lads did high fived us on there way to the dressing room after the game Nick Dasovic, Chris Cummins, Danny Dichio, and Todd Dunivant all took a moment to say the words thanks for coming out to watch the game.
    Todd Dunivant... I still don't know why we traded him. Anyone remember if he was asking out?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Todd Dunivant... I still don't know why we traded him. Anyone remember if he was asking out?
    Priced out. They needed money for DeGuzman. But I was glad to see him keep going and going for LA.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 12-08-2016 at 02:33 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunivant was a classy dude. Remember him showing up at Boxxxcar at 2am with Marvel Wynne and Mo Edu after a game. Everyone completely out of their tree at that point. Good times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to step away from everything for awhile with a whole new family dynamic. Not really being able to come to games caused me to really distance myself from the boards because it was just easier to stay away. Coming into this thread made me realize that is really stupid. I'll be at the game Saturday and plan on reupping my membership and really trying to make games next year. Anyway, here's some of my fondest memories:

Being severely underdressed for my first game Year 1 again NYRB and getting the flu.

Doing the Carlsberg kick, grass skirt and all, on the field in year 2.

Brian Edwards with the biggest look of shock on his face when I showed him I had Edwards 18 on the back of my jersey.

Nick Garcia's wife asking for a picture of myself with Nick and the kids because of the grass skirt get up. (Might need to break it out Saturday now that I think about it.)

The Newspaper TIFO in Columbus.

The trip back to the hotel in New England where the bus almost tipped over. The cops were called to kick us out of the street once we got off the bus in front of the hotel.

The Kansas City trip where I think Ibrahim or O'Brian White's family sat with us. I think it was about 100 of us and the stands we were on felt like we were going to make them collapse.

All the post game Gate 3 celebrations. I think Parky has seen my back more than anyone from standing in front of the drums to keep people away.

Trip to DC in '10 or '11? That would be the year everyone got thrown out of the stadium because of flares. Didn't even get to see us win the game.

Going to the game in LA when we moved on in the Champions League. Still get goose bumps thinking about that game.

Meeting Nelson and O'Leary at the Rexall in the hotel in Vancouver.

And my personal RPB ones:

Going from circling the tail gate in year 2 for 2 straight games, nervous to talk to anyone to working on the tailgate team for years, starting the 75 Mile Bastards and the warm reaction we always got from everyone when we first joined, which was usually proceeded by a "You come to the games from Buffalo?!?!"

- Bootleg Mountain Dew and Buffalo Wings

The time when the front office confiscated the Bastards 2 stick because of language and Phil coming to our defense to get it back. Really felt like "part of the group" then. That game we lost to Philly 6-2. The next game we had a 2 stick that said "Hey MLSE, 6-2 is more offensive then our banner. 75MB." When we put it up, we got a big cheer from 112 and that was another of those" Hey, they like the Americans!" moments.

Just getting to know everyone. I've had the best times over these years, sharing the stands and the fandom of this team. The friendships made, even if they've gotten reduced to places like Facebook lately, are invaluable. Sorry for rambling, but so much happened and this thread brought back a wave of emotions.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikers View Post
    Great thread

Here are my fondest memories like most it's from the early years.

- Didn't know what to expect on that first home game at BMO but when "the all we are saying" started slowly and the crowd began to make out the words and sing in unity I felt
    somehow that TFC was going to be here to stand the test of time. Up to that point I would go to a Lynx game here and there and went to some of the CANMT games that were played at varsity and that first home game blew those out of the water. When Eddie Johnson was showered with the beer it affirmed my thoughts and feelings at the time.

- The game against the LA Galaxy at BMO Field Beck's debut in MLS. That first season had been an amazing experience to go to games at BMO and I could feel the electricity in the crowd that game and nothing has come close until that semi final against the Impact. The Who the F is Beckham chants was a great highlight personally for me since I was a David Beckham fan and I think those chants showed MLS that TFC fans were
    for real and Toronto Till I Die mentality was what would bring success to clubs.

- The second season that first reserve game at BMO field at 10 or 11am when a handful of us watched the game from behind the TFC bench. We welcomed Nick Dasovic and Chris Cummins to the team. We spoke with Mo Johnston and we found out that TFC would play Pachuca and Indepediente in friendlies and one of the guys immiediately posted the info on these boards before Mo told us not to post the info and we laughed at him and said too late. My biggest take away from watching that game was that even though the lads did high fived us on there way to the dressing room after the game Nick Dasovic, Chris Cummins, Danny Dichio, and Todd Dunivant all took a moment to say the words thanks for coming out to watch the game.

- The first town hall meeting when I finally realized MLSE and especially Tom Anselmi had no idea what they were doing.

- Meeting TFC at the Island Airport after the miracle in Montreal.

- The Real Madrid friendly at BMO where Madrid was taking it easy on us until DERO nutmegged one of there defenders. After that they took over the game right away.

- The CONCACAF Champions League run.
    Great post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    And here (first season year end):

wow this hit me haaard in the feels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memories of year 1: being a broke-ass, 21 year-old personal training student, but had also just got my first job at the gym 99 Sudbury at the foot of Dovercourt. No money, but my (not always!) gracious twin brother would gift me many of his tickets in 112 that year, or I would scalp outside the stadium for $50+!

We'd start drinking before the games in the parking lot, then cross the train tracks towards Lamport/Joes, which weren't blocked by sound walls back then. The atmosphere was so new and fresh - everyone knew that it was the start of something special, even if much of the city didn't know it at the time. By mid-summer it was damn-near impossible to get tickets for most, but thankfully this board would allow the "hardcore" supporters access tickets at face value. Many a night spent debating on the boards over what needed to be done to improve the synchronization of the chants...

Trips to Chicago, Columbus, Montreal... hard to believe it's been 10 seasons in the league! Last game was an unbelievably special, surreal moment, it was almost difficult to celebrate after the game. Nerves are ready and set for an even more special moment this coming Saturday night. Let's bring home the cup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donnie the Garbz will never know the best lead up event for the MLS Cup was this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't get too long and sentimental, since I've made it to exactly two games in 10 years, but it's been great talking with all of you over the years. The trip here has just made it sweeter. One more to go.

Game memories? For some reason, my favorite still was Alan Gordon's last-second volley in LA; he was an excellent player but got in a spat with the medical team over his hernia treatment.

The Pablo Vitti goal that never was; Dichio to Vitti for a clean breakaway goal... flagged incorrectly offside. He could never get out of the ditch after that. A couple more clear misses, and then he just gave up and stopped shooting.

Tyler Pasher playing like a champ at left back against Liverpool, then being released. He's just been promoted to Sporting KC from their farm club.

Jimmy's rocket against Columbus, Andrew Wiedeman's goal in the rain.

King Stefan's TIFO

Danny Koevermans absolutely destroying MLS defenses like they weren't there... but unable to stay healthy for more than a few games at a time.

Nick Soolsma and Javier Martina each having one defining career moment with us. The latter never looked like much, but the former put in a nice cross.

Freddy Hall's comic positioning and the black cat.

The Miracle In Montreal, Chad Barrett finding a spot on the goal line from which even he would be incapable of missing.

Guevara's class amid staggering mediocrity. Ditto with Danny D.

Man. Crazy decade.
    Last edited by jloome; 12-09-2016 at 01:25 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who was it from Montreal that absolutely knocked out Nick Garcia cold? All I remember was seeing Nick outside Gate 4 after the game and it was he starring out into nowhere, was still completely out of it. One of the most dirty on-field incidents I have seen in the Reds 10 seasons.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Who was it from Montreal that absolutely knocked out Nick Garcia cold? All I remember was seeing Nick outside Gate 4 after the game and it was he starring out into nowhere, was still completely out of it. One of the most dirty on-field incidents I have seen in the Reds 10 seasons.
    Roberto Brown was the guy.

One of Nick Garcia's few impactful contributions to TFC's success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread. I can't really add anything to all the memories, but I was just thinking about something that happened on Wednesday that sooo represented all the trauma of the past 10 years for all of us supporters. We were well into the second half of the extra time. There had already been "na na na na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye" chants ringing around the stadium (some felt a bit early for me). We were really into the playing it out period of the game. The guy who has sat beside me the past four years turned to us, looking glassy eyed and in shock, a bit like he had just come out of a car wreck, and said:

"Guys, there's three minutes left. I really don't think they can score 2 goals in three minutes."

F-ck, how many times have we given up late goals? He just couldn't believe, even that late in, that we were going to win it. But he was just starting to come around to the idea that we were. And that we are going to host the Final.

Can't wait for tomorrow! I just hope he got his season tickets!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Great thread. I can't really add anything to all the memories, but I was just thinking about something that happened on Wednesday that sooo represented all the trauma of the past 10 years for all of us supporters. We were well into the second half of the extra time. There had already been "na na na na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye" chants ringing around the stadium (some felt a bit early for me). We were really into the playing it out period of the game. The guy who has sat beside me the past four years turned to us, looking glassy eyed and in shock, a bit like he had just come out of a car wreck, and said:

"Guys, there's three minutes left. I really don't think they can score 2 goals in three minutes."

F-ck, how many times have we given up late goals? He just couldn't believe, even that late in, that we were going to win it. But he was just starting to come around to the idea that we were. And that we are going to host the Final.

I stayed in the stadium for quite a while after the end, just letting it all sink in, and finally wandered back up toward Shoeless Joe's with some friends from U-Sector.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't wanna be THAT guy, and I don't wanna sidetrack this thread, but there's something we haven't addressed yet.

A TOAST TO THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE SCENES OF THIS FORUM AND GROUP.

I'm a registered user. There are countless numbers of us that I've seen in my travels through this website in the last 10 years. Without engaging in the "member" vs "registered user" issues:

THANK YOU TO ALL MEMBERS WHO HAVE KEPT THIS PLACE RUNNING.

Honorable mentions that stick out to me:

Naturgirl - Connie - Who hand wrote my address and personally mailed me my first away trip tix, many years ago. Above and beyond.
    Bluenose - Who I seem to remember at forefront of away organizing in the early years with Connie
    Parkdale - I've crossed paths with Parky many times, he'd never recognize me, but has been ever present and always representing the group
    Flush - Ditto. And in the early years I remember him being on the "let's get a capo" train 100%. He and others are probably the reason we have them.
    FortYork - Ever present here, always talking Footy, and keeping the place reasonable and semi-respectful
    Oldtimer - Geez, he's got more posts than humanly possible
    Denime/Red CB Toronto/OgtheDim - Is there a thread around they haven't contributed too?

And many, many more................ Cheers to you guys and gals.........

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A toast!

But seriously, what a wild rollercoaster ride these ten fucking years have been. When rumors started swirling about Toronto landing a Major Soccer League franchise, my initial reaction was "Uh-huh, I'll believe it when I see it", because I didn't believe that a D1 league in the United States was going to grant a team to a city outside of its borders. But it was a great day in 2005 when they did.

My memories, good and bad, from then and now:

- Staying up late to watch the team's first ever MLS match on the road against Chivas USA.

- Danny Dichio scoring the club's first ever goal, which seemed like an eternity to wait for, as well as the team's first victory.

- The first heartache I felt watching TFC lose the Canadian Championship to a pre-MLS Montréal side.

- Attending my first TFC home match in July 2008, a scoreless draw with San Jose in which Guevara missed on a PK. As well as signing up to be a Red Patch Boy.

- Getting DeRo in the offseason.

- Scoring sweet, sweet revenge against the L'impact in the Miracle in Montreal to win our side's first trophy, the Voyageur's Cup.

- The heart ripping 5-0 loss at East Rutherford against the Red Bulls which cost our side a playoff spot.

- The CONCACAF quarterfinals against Beckham and the LA Galaxy at the Rogers Centre, and the advancement to the semis by beating the Gals in LA.

- Making trips to Montreal to watch TFC take on the L'impact in league play (and dragging my brother with me the second time around).

- The Bloody Big Deal of a home opener in 2014 and all the hype surrounding it.

- Going to Chicago, for the very first time, to watch TFC take on the Fire. And where DeRo scored his last MLS goal and where the referee blew the call on Gilberto's goal that would have won our side the victory.

- Giovinco tearing up the league with his goal scoring capabilities - like his incredible hat trick against NYCFC at Yankee Stadium where he put the team on his shoulders after falling behind early - and winning the MLS MVP in 2015.

- Our first ever playoff appearance - and our first post season loss to Montréal .

- And this incredible playoff run where our side got revenge against Montréal, in the most epic playoff series in MLS history, to advance to the MLS Cup Final on our home turf tomorrow night.

I have to admit, there were times when I thought supporting this team was a dead ender, given how MLSE seemed to turn everything they touched to shit. But thanks to Bez and Vanney for making some bold and smart moves, as well as changing the entire culture of the franchise, TFC is on the verge of capturing the MLS Cup in front of their long suffering fans.

We've spent a lot of time in the valleys, but we are on the verge of making it to the top of the mountain.

Sticking with this team was so worth it.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

I have to admit to some serious TFC related PTSD...had to practically slap myself at one point to stop worrying and holding my breath and remind myself to just 'enjoy' everything happening around the Joe's, the march, the Stands, and the plays on the field

Saturday night win (or not)...TFC is now the team they were always meant to be...this playoff run has been re-birth that the Bloody Big Deal didn't materialize...and the songs and chants that made it to the north end and upper decks I hope have convinced the tourists to make this a return destination and keep this spirit and team moving forward from the South up to the north pole. In the early years the north-side wasn't the dead zone it has been in recent years, and I hope this rejuvenation with new SSH and voices in stands bring it all back to stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amajor league toast to the people who started this Forum and group. Too all the RPBs whom I have met whether at BMO or Shoeless Joes who made me and my friends from Guelph feel part of the group with there friendliness and Kindness. Too all the other Supporters Groups who have made the TFC experience the best Sporting experience in Toronto and also in Canada. This belongs to all you guys and girls who stuck by this team through some of baddest times especially in the years of 2011 to 2013. This will not be a easy game tomorrow but I am hoping for the best I even went to Church this Morning and said a little prayer for the team It worked for the Cubs in The World Series hopefully it will work for TFC on Saturday.
    And a huge Thanks foir making the Sport I love since I was a 10 years old now 48 to the mainstream audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this thread calls for opening up all the old best threads over the years.

- Off-Topic/RCT
    - Pics of Old Toronto
    - What are you Listening to?
    - Supporters Gate
    Last edited by billyfly; 12-09-2016 at 04:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was talking to my brother the other night. The bar he hangs out in St. Thomas on weekends hardly ever talks about soccer, much less TFC. But this past weekend, all anyone at that place wanted to talk about was TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on the train now heading to Toronto.

Shit's stating to get real now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I'm on the train now heading to Toronto.

Shit's stating to get real now!
    Another 75mile bastard on his way - we will be joining you on Saturday morning via the 401 - we are on our way to the promised land!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuck fuck fuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk - arrggghhh i'm freaking out man!!!