Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: A Toast

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Scottish winger that was touted as someone that big clubs in the EPL were interested in. He had a bit of pace and was the master of the pointless cross to nowhere.

Scored once, by kind of misfiring on a header and scooping the ball in with his neck, in the pouring rain, winning a game against the then league title holders, Houston.

Welshie was a good guy, as I recall.

(context - Welsh was the emblem of the Mo era, for me. Mo didn't rate MLS and ran this whole experiment around building the team around Canadians and internationals, as opposed to US domestics - we were all trained on Euro football, loved the idea of unsung Canadians that just needed a home. We were mostly inclined to agree with Mo's view, because it confirmed our biases, so his schtick worked for a while, until we all figured out the league after a couple of years and realized that Mo was just wrong. He wasn't all bad .... I'll stop now!)

Thanks for your kind words.
    I got an Andy Welsh story. About two years after he left Toronto I ran into him in London when he was with Yeovil Town (League One). They were playing at Leyton Orient one Sunday and I had a photo of him scoring the goal in the rain against Houston plus one from the first ever TFC win. He was signing a few autographs post game and when I pulled my photos out, was wearing a TFC jersey, he just stopped in his tracks and stared and went wow. Starting asking me all these questions about how TFC was doing, that he kept in touch with some the boys, had to show all his team mates the photos. Could not stop talking about how great our city is. The one thing that stuck with me he said he had some regret with forcing his way out for a return to The Championship with Blackpool as there really is no comparison between the two cities. Ended up being a 30 min or so interaction. He actually apologized for keeping me. Who knows how much longer he would have lasted here if had stayed, but hey that day is just one of many TFC memories I have had over this journey.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The place we called home and truly love ...

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scored once, by kind of misfiring on a header and scooping the ball in with his neck, in the pouring rain, winning a game against the then league title holders, Houston.
    This game was actually live on The Score! This was way before sportsnet bought them out.... It wasn't an American feed either... James Sharman and Brian Budd ( budgie) (RIP) did the commentary!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Scottish winger that was touted as someone that big clubs in the EPL were interested in. He had a bit of pace and was the master of the pointless cross to nowhere.

Welshie was a good guy, as I recall.

(context - Welsh was the emblem of the Mo era, for me. Mo didn't rate MLS and ran this whole experiment around building the team around Canadians and internationals, as opposed to US domestics - we were all trained on Euro football, loved the idea of unsung Canadians that just needed a home. We were mostly inclined to agree with Mo's view, because it confirmed our biases, so his schtick worked for a while, until we all figured out the league after a couple of years and realized that Mo was just wrong. He wasn't all bad .... I'll stop now!)

Thanks for your kind words.
    Andy Welsh is English, not Scottish. He actually has had a half-decent career in the English lower leagues after he left Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Welsh
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I got an Andy Welsh story. About two years after he left Toronto I ran into him in London when he was with Yeovil Town (League One). They were playing at Leyton Orient one Sunday and I had a photo of him scoring the goal in the rain against Houston plus one from the first ever TFC win. He was signing a few autographs post game and when I pulled my photos out, was wearing a TFC jersey, he just stopped in his tracks and stared and went wow. Starting asking me all these questions about how TFC was doing, that he kept in touch with some the boys, had to show all his team mates the photos. Could not stop talking about how great our city is. The one thing that stuck with me he said he had some regret with forcing his way out for a return to The Championship with Blackpool as there really is no comparison between the two cities. Ended up being a 30 min or so interaction. He actually apologized for keeping me. Who knows how much longer he would have lasted here if had stayed, but hey that day is just one of many TFC memories I have had over this journey.
    This is so awesome.

Makes me wonder how many of the guys will be watching around the globe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Andy Welsh is English, not Scottish. He actually has had a half-decent career in the English lower leagues after he left Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Welsh
    I love it - an Andy Welsh dustup!

Second line says he played U19 for Scotland.
    We are both right.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I remember the bus driver yelling back at us in a temporary lull in the chanting ... "I've heard lot's of victory songs, but this is the first losing song I've ever heard

We were singing about losing the game with pride!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and this is always a classic

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and then there's this one.... kinda the creative peak of the early RPB.TV days

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    and then there's this one.... kinda the creative peak of the early RPB.TV days

Love you pulling up in that Reds sports car, a true classic.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I love it - an Andy Welsh dustup!

Second line says he played U19 for Scotland.
    We are both right.
    There you go!

He's Scottish like Owen Hargreaves is English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Lame "TIFO" attempt by Columbus in the early days:

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMacphisto View Post

Gotta love the upside down scarf. That pic is a classic!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread. Ate a big bowl of Feelios.

I'm just gonna post a bunch of random images from over the past 10 years.

Who remembers this ad?

Prekki doesn't want to be filmed.

Morpheus in the background! Jimmy with the award.

When a bunch of supporters went to MLS Cup in DC. The buzz about Toronto and their support was palpable.

Dichio scoring that wonder strike to tie New England with seconds left. Back then, it felt like a cup win. The storm on the pitch afterwards was fun.

Golden balls getting showered with black streamers at MLS All Star game.

Drew Carey at game. Throwing us some steaks from the VIP area. Funny guy, but fuck Seattle.

Racheal McAdams at the game.

Sorry... just couldn't do nastalgia without this too. Doing the chant from corner to corner was awesome.

The De Guzzi mobile.

Lots of nastalgia. I'll save some for after Saturday. I've never wanted anything more than this win. Watched bgnewf's video as well, and that really resonated with me too. No longer angry at the past. Last game was one of the best moments of my life. Euphoria, as well as feeling like a big, huge shit that's been jammed for too long.

I can't quite put it into words.. but much is risked supporting TFC over the years. You put your heart on the line, and there is always the risk of it getting stomped, and it's gotten stomped so many, many, many times.

Saturday, our hearts go on the line.... with huge risk again. It's just a nice feeling knowing that the potential reward is much, much greater than the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holeeeeee shit!......Preki....."FUCK YO CAMERA!!!"

best TFC related picture ever!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is definitely hitting the feels ...

Granted I haven't been in the stands as long as most of you, but have been on the board nearly as long (as a guest the first season and a bit then finally singing up) but if everyone will indulge me this is what is in my heart.
    I was picking up a game here and there for the first few years (due to being a student in Windsor and lack of money of course), then finally getting a job here at home and getting seasons 3 years ago.

Most of the memories I have of the first few years are similar (with the exception of seeing it on TV down in Windsor).

TFCs first game in history, asking a bartender to turn it on one of the smaller TVs at a bar in Windsor, and subsequently getting the longest blank stare in history as he was wondering what I was asking for.

Dichio 23:13 - moved off campus in Windsor and rushed to get the cable and TV set up in 2 hours solely to watch the game and saw the glorious moment with Nigel Reid on CBC

Some more memories: good and bad, for and against TFC

'The last breath of the season' against NE, Jimmy's goal again C-Bus, The All-Star game, DeRo's welcome home, C-Bus trying the game on a Goalie Goal, the first Canadian Championship games at BMO, the friendlies against South American opponents (my first games I could get tickets too) - River Plate and Independiente, the first 2 trips through the CCL (preliminary and group stage games) - remember a ball boy getting yelled at by on of the opposing Goalies and the South some how calling him Menudo the rest of the game, the rainout games against Vancouver (Canadian Championship) and Dallas (CCL), and many more since.

Like most at the time, I was fed up and angry come 2012, and tuned out most of that season (but still followed the season with my fellow RPBs here on the forums)

For 2013 (while still not the best on the pitch) I saw good signs and I began to drift back and with the changes at the end of the season (Tim L and Tim B both coming on board, along with my new job) I decided to take another plunge and join the RPBs in the stands and get Seasons.

Once I got my seasons as a Xmas gift to myself, we all know that the 'Bloody Big Deal' came about and a large resurgence to the TFC fan base came in.
    The Brace, The freezing home opener that year, the friendly against Tottenham (it was still fun), and of course the Defoe situation and how it all spiralled out of control.

The re-tooling of 2015 and SEBA, The playoff drought snapped (YAY!) and of course the game in Montreal (ugh!).
    And the run that we have been on this year, the change in the mentality of the team and the growth and resurgence of our fan base again.

It has been an amazing and trying 10 years.
    And while I haven't been in the stands as long or around in town as long either I still feel as though this groups is a family with the familiar faces (whether you only pass them once a year or every week).

Let's have fun on Saturday and celebrate what has been accomplished and what we ALL have been through (good and bad) these last 10 years as all of the experiences have taken us to this point.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow. Some memories here (second season year end):

Last edited by Jack; 12-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And here (first season year end):

Last edited by Jack; 12-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread, loads of good memories. Thank you all. I'll throw in some of mine:

* My first time in the supporters end after being gifted a pair of tickets and getting to stand with TFC Cityboy and enjoying the hell out of it. Just was instantly made to feel welcome.
    * Using the drafting sample plotter table at work after hours to cut large stencils in a rush so we could paint a tribute banner for Brian Budd at Flush's place in his unfinished basement (and subsequently having to change my board name)
    * All nighter to get the Road Warriors banner traced using the projector and having a bunch of Durham RPB show up to help paint it at my place before the 2008 Chicago trip (tip of my hat to you guys)
    * The 2008 Chicago trip. Drinking from flasks in the gravel parking lot at Toyota park. Singing the American anthem louder than the rest of the stadium.
    * Red Patch Army, practice at BMO Field, and the charity tournaments in Aurora and KW
    * RPB AGM at a masonic lodge
    * Just everything

Thanks guys! Thanks TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one has mentioned The Great Forlan Debacle of 2013. I'm mildly disappointed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't have a Preki FU without a Short Pants "Up Yours"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    No one has mentioned The Great Forlan Debacle of 2013. I'm mildly disappointed.
    Half points for mentioning the rollerblader?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half points for mentioning the rollerblader?
    It's odd that rollerblading has become a canonical element of our history. It's been a weird couple years.

Doing a bit of Wikipedia deep diving. I'm amazed to see that Ronnie O'Brien - Times' magazine man of the century - only played 13 games for us in 2007 and didn't score before fucking off to go play with Darren Huckerby in San Jose. I remember him being one of our best players that year. Guy could put in a good cross.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-07-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    It's odd that rollerblading has become a canonical element of our history. It's been a weird couple years.

Doing a bid of wikipedia deep diving. I'm amazed to see that Ronnie O'Brien - Times' magazine man of the century - only played 13 games for us in 2007 and didn't score before fucking off to go play with Darren Huckerby in San Jose. I remember him being one of our best players that year. Guy could put in a good cross.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Brien had a gimpy knee that he wrecked on the turf here. In a friendly iirc. He was done after that, never the same in SJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Who remembers late night post match drunken footy at Lamport?
    Yup. Used to keep a ball behind the bar at Joe's. My left knee has never been the same after a wipe out on that turf!! Played the Chicago supporters once.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Can't have a Preki FU without a Short Pants "Up Yours"

I see the greatest finisher of the modern era before I see Short Pants goes bananas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Brien had a gimpy knee that he wrecked on the turf here. In a friendly iirc. He was done after that, never the same in SJ.
    I was savaged for blaming the turf for that injury.

Mo actually blamed Ronnie, saying he was showing off in training and pushing too hard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I was savaged for blaming the turf for that injury.

Mo actually blamed Ronnie, saying he was showing off in training and pushing too hard.
    I remember that you and I were among a very few number complaining about the turf right from the start. The common view was that we were ingrates. There were also a lot of people who legitimately thought fieldturf was the future.

Those were the days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember the Jimmy Brenan endorsement of field turf. I remember that discussion.

It was pretty sweet when BMO got the grass thanks to Edu. Our pitch is nice now.