Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're great with crosses and aerial control. I can't say I recall them intentionally passing the ball any other way than hard, fast ground passes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    To some extent, but I don't totally agree with that. If it's truly slop it won't be to our advantage. But if it's running slow from rain, etc, it will hamper a speedy team to some degree. Certainly a slower pitch will make that first ball out that they play harder, and we got killed by that quite a few times.
    Montreal loves the slop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Ha ha, love that. His mudder was a mudder? Great line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC play the way they are capable of playing they win the tie. If TFC score first they win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We're a technical team. Good grass favours TFC. Bad grass would even out both sides.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Books still have TFC as favourites to advance past Montreal @ 1.80/-125

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We win 3-1.

Two Early, one late. They claw one back, we're too drunk to care.

Weeeeeee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The permutations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Not a huge sample, but seven times in MLS history the lower seeded team took the lead in game one for the conference final. In all seven cases that team went on to play in the MLS Cup final.
    But how many of those lower seeded teams allowed 2 away goals?
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scoring those two late goals, just like that .... that was a rare, special thing.

We were done.

The more I think on it, the more I can't believe it, and Montreal has 8 days to simmer in it.

You don't realize what just happened because you are drowning in despair, it's not the same emotional high as pasting NYC in the second leg .... but my god, that was the true Miracle in Montreal. It may well have been the championship moment.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Scoring those two late goals, just like that .... that was a rare, special thing.

We were done.

The more I think on it, the more I can't believe it, and Montreal has 8 days to simmer in it.

You don't realize what just happened because you are drowning in despair, it's not the same emotional high as pasting NYC in the second leg .... but my god, that was the true Miracle in Montreal. It may well have been the championship moment.
    The second goal....we were 95% done without it. Can't believe it happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were done.

You are right. I have felt great all day, and we lost. But I am right to feel great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were done.

This ^^^^^
    Posted before, but, Montreal is probably gutted at giving those 2 goals away. TFC on the other hand should be elated and feel like they have all the momentum.

I know which team I'd rather be on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just pulling out of Montreal now after a chill day. Standing in the supporter section I can't describe. I was almost numb, in shock, still can't really believe it after the disasterous start. What a night, next Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though a draw or a win in the first leg would have been preferred, that second goal lets us go into the game to just win (barring another high scoring game).

I wonder what kind of approach Montreal will have. I assume similar to the NYRB second leg. Scoring will be critical. Perhaps in the first half as well. I just can't see them going all out on attack like we did to NYCFC. The beauty of those two goals is that we scored them while they were sitting back. So we can crack them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any vids posted..of the atmosphere on the train...stadium...pubs....i need footage...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still wish TFC would push for a 8pm start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first 10 minutes of the game will be the most intense... you know MTL will want to score early and take counter attack the rest of the game, and likewise we will be out in full force to get that first goal. Hope that we don't make any defensive mistakes and that playing at home on our TURF will be to our advantage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    Any vids posted..of the atmosphere on the train...stadium...pubs....i need footage...lol
    Laura Armstrong on Twitter had some solid videos of the away section from the press box? Not quite what you're looking for but still cool to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC score first I think we win the tie. Pull Montreal out, make them expand and then play through them for the 2nd. Like someone else said above I am predicting a 3-1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, none of the 7 teams who moved on leading after the first leg had given up 2 road goals and only lead by 1 goal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    Still wish TFC would push for a 8pm start.
    No way. Leafs are at 830pm.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way. Leafs are at 830pm.
    As shown of late, the Leafs in October November don't mean anything to a Toronto playoff run.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    As shown of late, the Leafs in October November don't mean anything to a Toronto playoff run.
    But still take eyeballs away from the television broadcast.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remind me who was playing at the same time last night again?

Move of the game to 8 won't happen due to TV commitments in the USA. Nothing to do with Leafs on TV.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Remind me who was playing at the same time last night again?

Move of the game to 8 won't happen due to TV commitments in the USA. Nothing to do with Leafs on TV.
    Og, it's not true - show us what the US networks motivation is around the start time on Nov 30. There is nothing...

http://www.espn.com/espntv/onair/ind...-30-16-4:00-PM

Fox are doing UFC Fight Flashback after the game
    http://www.foxsports.com/tv-listings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We simply have to win next week and advance to the final. Anything else is simply unthinkable. To be put out by Montreal at this stage, and at home, would scar us for life. I fear it would be a result we would never recover from. It would be a footballing albatross which would haunt us forever.

Having said that, Greg Vanney MUST get his team selection and tactics absolutely spot on next Wednesday. Last night showed there are some weaknesses with a 3-5-2 against a 4-3-3 playing with speed on the counter attack. Does he stand by it, as it has otherwise served us well in recent weeks, or does he modify it by going 3-4-3 or 4-2-3-1? Does he even revert to a 4-4-2 an the diamond formation? Team selection is also important, keeping the speed of our opponents in mind. Midfield is particularly crucial. Does he stick with both Cooper and Osorio, or does he drop one or both in favour of giving a start to Johnson and/or Ricketts? Perhaps more controversially, is a recall for Bono on the cards given Irwin hasn't exactly been in sparkling form since he returned and looked particularly poor at Montreal's third goal last night. A goal that in reality should have buried us.

Overall I've been impressed with Vanney this season and you can tell from his interviews he is a intelligent man and clearly a student of the game. However, next Wednesday is the acid test for him. It's all fine and well being articulate on television but it's results that matter most. This is one game that Vanney needs to display the capacity to set up his side in a way that it's capable of mastering whatever Beillo throws at him. He also needs to motivate the players to be sharp and come out the blocks flying, just as we did in NYC. He also needs to drill the players to stay focused on their task for the full 90 minutes. This game has simply no room for a sluggish start or lapses inconcentration.

If we win this game Vanney will be a hero, and most likely get a new and rewarding contract. However, if we fail, it will be a result Greg Vanney will find very difficult, if not impossible, to recover from. Wednesday is the biggest game in our history, so let us hope our preparations are spot on and set us up for a historic victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was an extremely successful season regardless of what happens on Wednesday. Vanney is getting a new contract no matter what.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    This was an extremely successful season regardless of what happens on Wednesday. Vanney is getting a new contract no matter what.
    Agreed, he's already met my expectations. Losing to Montreal at this point would be sad, but TFC fans can certainly look at a good season and post season run and get some comfort. Only one team lifts the trophy and in a parity league plain chance plays a role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure we need to change our approach. I may be wrong, but it sure seemed like the turf was the main impediment to a free flowing and technical TFC game.