Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see 16-clubs in East and 16-clubs West. West and East don't play each other at all (not even cross over for 6 games). West play each other home and away (30 games)' and same with the West (30 games). Single tier League west and east, having a League Champion (1st place finish) followed by playoff format of east vs East and west vs west clubs, Final MLS cup however west champions play east champions (I wouldn't mind a 2 leg final, gives both set of fans a chance to see there club in a final at home, all other sports minus NFL have a best of 7...a 2-leg final isn't a far fetch.)

some clubs might say "oh but we don"t get to play LA Galaxy" or "We don't play NYCFC"....I personally wouldn't care, we would have our own East league teams to compete with and the west would have the west, and have better rivals among the 2 leagues. I would hate to adjust an entire league just to squeeze in a game of Columbus vs LA Galaxy because Columbus want there fans to see Galaxy. Also I would like to point out we could still play teams from the opposite east-west leagues in the US Open Cup/Canadian Championship and Concacaf Champions League (I would actually like Canada Championship to just join US Open Cup). It could maybe help grow the US Open cup to a higher level as clubs who hardly get to play against each other now get a chance. Also that US Open Cup has a lot of clubs competing, wish it would get more respect.

Also with 2 Leagues (East - west) you could go even up to 34-40 clubs in MLS. 18-east, 18-west = 34 games. 19 clubs = 36 games. 20 clubs = 38 games.

it is the only way MLS could have a single tier format like in Europe (promotion and relegation will not happen). Any other format in MLS will have wonky unbalanced schedule in MLS, which many supporters on this form and I'm sure others hate. Down side is tho that the majority of regular fans might not see a problem with these unbalanced schedules as they do it in all other sports in USA/Canada.
    Last edited by james; 01-06-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I would like to see 16-clubs in East and 16-clubs West. West and East don't play each other at all (not even cross over for 6 games). West play each other home and away (30 games)' and same with the West (30 games). Single tier League west and east, having a League Champion (1st place finish) followed by playoff format of east vs East and west vs west clubs, Final MLS cup however west champions play east champions (I wouldn't mind a 2 leg final, gives both set of fans a chance to see there club in a final at home, all other sports minus NFL have a best of 7...a 2-leg final isn't a far fetch.)

some clubs might say "oh but we don"t get to play LA Galaxy" or "We don't play NYCFC"....I personally wouldn't care, we would have our own East league teams to compete with and the west would have the west, and have better rivals among the 2 leagues. I would hate to adjust an entire league just to squeeze in a game of Columbus vs LA Galaxy because Columbus want there fans to see Galaxy. Also I would like to point out we could still play teams from the opposite east-west leagues in the US Open Cup/Canadian Championship and Concacaf Champions League (I would actually like Canada Championship to just join US Open Cup). It could maybe help grow the US Open cup to a higher level as clubs who hardly get to play against each other now get a chance. Also that US Open Cup has a lot of clubs competing, wish it would get more respect.

Also with 2 Leagues (East - west) you could go even up to 34-40 clubs in MLS. 18-east, 18-west = 34 games. 19 clubs = 36 games. 20 clubs = 38 games.

it is the only way MLS could have a single tier format like in Europe (promotion and relegation will not happen). Any other format in MLS will have wonky unbalanced schedule in MLS, which many supporters on this form and I'm sure others hate. Down side is tho that the majority of regular fans might not see a problem with these unbalanced schedules as they do it in all other sports in USA/Canada.
    I like this idea a lot and MLB did this years ago with NL AL not playing against each other. Ultimately it comes down to revenue and this probably doesn't increase the TV numbers if teams are not being showcased around the league.

Competitively this format would work, in fact its probably the best case scenario we can get because of how huge the continent is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree were already goin to be the biggest top flight in a few years once Argentina scales back their first division.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

This the format I've championed for years. Let me also add to your point that a East/West league or conference system such as this would really cut down on the leagues ridiculous travel requirements. Toronto to Florida is still a long trip but its no Toronto to Seattle or LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see them rounding out such a schedule with 4 games against opposite conference rivals. They could have their intraconference 30 games and then a home and away series against a 2 designated rivals for the last 4 games. Obviously the New York and Los Angeles teams would be paired up, as would Toronto/Montreal and Vancouver plus some other West team (Seattle?). Whichever cross-conference matchups that will get the best TV ratings.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I could see them rounding out such a schedule with 4 games against opposite conference rivals. They could have their intraconference 30 games and then a home and away series against a 2 designated rivals for the last 4 games. Obviously the New York and Los Angeles teams would be paired up, as would Toronto/Montreal and Vancouver plus some other West team (Seattle?). Whichever cross-conference matchups that will get the best TV ratings.

I guess the big issue with this is balanced competition.

Playing against the Galaxy vs playing against Vancouver could be seen as unfair scheduling of playing a stronger team in the Galaxy whereas another team gets a weaker team in Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not balanced as it is, with there being a demonstrated advantage to playing at home. That's one of the reasons that playoffs are required to determine who is really the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Publicly funded stadium ain't happening - it's about time USA taxpayers stop getting swindled by these rich as hell owners

http://deadspin.com/plan-to-steal-mo...-ml-1791034875