Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its funny, TFC was the first team that made a point of not appealing directly to soccer moms and we became the template on how to start up a franchise. I fully understand the commitments to family, but to be frank that is not who TFC is looking to attract as a fan base for game day. Soccer, Hockey and Swimming practices all cut into your free time making it hard to go to a game, from TFC's perspective those things also cut into your disposable income. I will be the first to admit that I am no longer part of the demographic that would be the main target of TFC FO, but its a reality. I would rather see TFC play consistently on a Saturday and grow the fan base, rather than sprinkle a game here on Sunday and a game there on Tuesday, an hour early or an hour later to suit my specific schedule, and then pawn the idea off as if it has mass appeal based on anecdotal evidence. Its difficult to schedule something when it is a random event through the week, its much easier to have a plan, when the game is played at a consistent time. I applauded TFC for believing that they have a good enough product that given a consistent time, people will make time to enjoy it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot teams in the US, simply want as few week day games as possible. They are all about the gate, which takes a hit on a Wednesday in places like Frisco. Toronto is very different in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I could actually see the case for a weekly Wednesday night game. When I was a kid, in the 1970s, Wednesday night Leafs hockey on CFTO was a staple. (I think it moved to CHCH in the 80s)

Problem with that is that the rest of MLS is mainly on a weekend rotation, plus all the Concacaf games are midweek, so scheduling would be messy.

I don't love professional sports in the summer, and there is no amount of schedule juggling that will make it work on TV in July-August.

I wish MLS should move to the UEFA schedule, with a big winter break.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If the rumours of TSN dropping MLS and the rights being picked up by CBC are true, I think Sunday night is a given. As I said in the TV ratings thread, CBC will be broadcasting HNIC until at least the end of next year's NHL season. That puts Saturday nights completely out of the equation, since CBC doesn't have a TSN 2 equivalent to broadcast games/sports with less pull. Sunday hockey is broadcast on Sportsnet, so Sunday afternoons and evenings are fairly open for CBC. Sundays means TFC would compete against the odd NFL or CFL game, at worst a Jays game, and those are usually early afternoons if they're on Sunday. That's manageable.

In fact, with the CBC having trademarked Soccer Night in Canada, even putting up banner ads for it on their website (you can see one here for example on their MLS homepage), I would suggest this is already in the works.
    schedule will even be more restricted next year with CBC - only one channel that is programmed a year in advance. There is not flexibility like TSN has 5 channels. I assume it will be late-afternoon games when their current sports programming occurs. with the games outside that slot streamed instead of on TV
    Last edited by Onyx; 11-15-2016 at 10:19 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    schedule will even be more restricted next year with CBC - only one channel that is programmed a year in advance. There is not flexibility like TSN has 5 channels. I assume it will be late-afternoon games when their current sports programming occurs. with the games outside that slot streamed instead of on TV
    I have a feeling that CBC will have the majority (late-afternoon for Spring/Fall, Saturday night for Summer), then they will contract out the remainder (probably to Sportsnet, just from track history between the two).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    A lot teams in the US, simply want as few week day games as possible. They are all about the gate, which takes a hit on a Wednesday in places like Frisco. Toronto is very different in my eyes.
    wed games would be a dream come true

the hard cores show up, the rest watch on tv

the highlight of everyone week

no matter what day its on, Ill be watching. in the end, it needs to be easy to access.

CBC, radio and online stream with pre and post game shows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I have a feeling that CBC will have the majority (late-afternoon for Spring/Fall, Saturday night for Summer), then they will contract out the remainder (probably to Sportsnet, just from track history between the two).
    main issue is with away games is they can be at any time & CBC does not have flexibility there
    Last edited by Onyx; 11-17-2016 at 01:04 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    main issue is with away games is they can be at any time & CBC does not have flexibility there
    True. If I remember correctly though during the first couple of years CBC had home (majority at least, a couple of C-Bus games) and Sportsnet took the away (if I am wrong somebody please let me know).

Now, if TFC can influence the schedule a touch and partner with Sportsnet then the scheduling should be a bit easier to navigate.

Also, CBC/Sportsnet could potentially do what they are currently doing with Hockey Night and have one game on CBC, the second start on Sportsnet, then the late game be on either one.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Kids soccer is a big part of why I suggest Sunday night. I know the Saturday daytime problem, especially in May/June/September.

The Raps have a very interesting thing going with Sunday 6pm starts, TFC might consider that.
    TFC can't...they can't compete with nationally televised games (ESPN/Fox)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was going to say, MLS has specifically designed their TV contracts so that there are only 2 games on Sunday and one on Fridays.

We are stuck with Saturday games by and large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, I was going to say, MLS has specifically designed their TV contracts so that there are only 2 games on Sunday and one on Fridays.

I am ok with Saturday games in general. I'm not a fan of the mid-afternoon July games that we used to have. The temperatures are just too hot and makes for poor quality in my opinion. If CBC were to get them, then the best I'd expect is mid afternoon games during the colder months (to avoid hockey), and evening games on the weekend. What exactly do they even show at 7 pm on a summer Saturday night anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    I am ok with Saturday games in general. I'm not a fan of the mid-afternoon July games that we used to have. The temperatures are just too hot and makes for poor quality in my opinion. If CBC were to get them, then the best I'd expect is mid afternoon games during the colder months (to avoid hockey), and evening games on the weekend. What exactly do they even show at 7 pm on a summer Saturday night anyway?
    I ran into someone I know from CBC Sports programming a week or so ago and asked about TFC on CBC next year. I was told it was a no-go. However, that may mean they are still negotiating a contract, and I was probably provided a heap of BS. I informed her that MLS soccer will be the sport to watch within the next decade, especially with the younger demographic that has been priced out of Leafs, Raptors, Jays tickets. I am all for the CBC with TFC games at a set time & day; look at the wonders it has done for the NFL, Jays, EPL, Raptors etc. I have all the Sportnest/TSN channels and MLS Live so I can watch TFC road games when I want and attend the majority of home games when I can. Every time I walk into a pub and want to watch a road game (Other than Joes or other known establishments in TO), I have to ask the bar staff to change the channel to TFC on 1 of the TVs. The point is that I want to watch the games and will be able to do so based on geography. Province and country wide, we need a specific time so that everyone is conditioned to expect MLS Soccer on a given day and time (Sat afternoon or evening etc). The time & day for home TFC games will, as many posters noted, noted can be inconvenient for certain STHs for a myriad of reasons. This could take years to unfold but baby steps are important. Until that time, it will be a gate driven league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I mean this respectfully ... but so what? That deal can be amended ... the leakage of a single US market on Sunday is really small beer.

Frankly, anything that hurts ESPN Sunday night baseball is good for Fox.

Look at the ratings. MLS has a bigger TV opportunity in Canada than the US, the ratings up here are far better.

In the NHL, US teams do not like being on the HNIC games in the spring and fall because they do not like going up against big March Madness and college football games on Saturday nights. But they do it. The dollars speak.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-19-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a tidbit but, before Tuesdays match TSN will have a pre game show...so when i asked if this would continue, I discovered that the CBC has registered a program call 'Soccer Night in Canada'...

btw Saturday night games work the best, dont have to worry about work the next morning, and bring the wife to the games for date night!