Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso has been instrumental in their run so far. I wouldn't change him. While he wasn't great, the field was always going to affect him because his difference is close control, and that doesn't work on that pitch, and others were poor - Cooper pulled out of a tackle and direcly led to the third goal, and I wasn't wild about his rolling around on the turf all the time. Others played poorly beyond Oso. Bradley and Altidore for a start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very fortunate to head into the second leg with a decent chance to advance after the opening 60 minutes. The central defense was deplorable and Irwin was weak on their 3rd goal.

That being said, the boys showed a lot of character coming back late, and hopefully that momentum will carry over to BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Drove from Ottawa with tfcfaninottawa with my son and some friends for the game. We were feeling lower than a submarine's bottom with the third goal, but the two away goals put the wind back in our sails and it was actually a pleasant drive back despite the loss. A couple of observations:

1. I think the mispainted lines were done on purpose. Apparently Montreal was able to warm-up prior to the start of the match, but TFC was prevented from doing so due to the lines needing fixing. I wonder if that had something to do with them scoring 2 in the first 15 minutes. I sense douchebaggery.

2. They also needed the extra time to shoehorn everybody into the stadium - they only had two gates allowing people through. We were stuck about 15 minutes just trying to get through with I estimate 5000 people jammed around one entrance.

3. It was really loud inside the stadium. I mean jet engine loud. Despite the crowd quieting a bit by the two TFC goals, my ears were ringing all the way home.

4. Why on earth did they move the WWC turf out of the Big O to their practice facility? It looked like a green carpet out there! The ball bounced and rolled way too much.

My sense was that Montreal's FO stacked the deck as much in their favour as possible with the setup. It's up to TFC's FO to return the favour next Wednesday.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there was gamesmanship. I wish Vanney had pushed for a delay and extend the warm up. Think that would have pulled some of the energy out of the game. And I think it's usually worth it in these situations to be a bit of a dick...But that's with a bit of hindsight as to how the first few minutes of the game played out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We saw TFC warmup last night at the same time as IMFC. As for gamesmanship, IMFC has big egg on their face and the league has serious concerns about allowing them to play in the Big Owe again. The rest was just general IMFC head office ineptitude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full Game on YouTube (for now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKgvnI_QTHk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll say this first: I understand that we have to wait a bit for safety after the game. I'm not indifferent to that. But, I thought the security at the end was terrible.

Beers being thrown aside, the fact that one exit was opened while the other was blocked is how people get hurt. They should have left us to the same exterior concourse blocked off area we had all game with access to washrooms, but seeing as they didn't, they should at least coordinate when we are permitted to leave.

I lost my shit a little bit at the guys getting paid minimum wage, who without an understanding, should be working elsewhere.

Not to mention, when we got to the metro, there was a massive line up of impact and TFC fans blending together anyway rending the whole thing somewhat moot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have the replays of the Jozy "foul" that led to Bradley's goal? When it happened, I cringed because it looked so obvious a foul. But I saw a replay from the other side that looked like the guy fell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure which thread to post this in, so will just chuck it in here.

Walking around town this morning, proudly wearing my bright red TFC cap, a young gentleman I could only describe as a hipster gave me a withering look and spat "fucking Trump-loving asshole" at me.

Be warned, fellow TFC fans, that your favourite bright red cap with a big 'T' on the front, is now fair game to be mistaken for an iconic piece of headwear from the recent election south of the border.

Lets make TFC great (again?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my favorite parts about last night was Dichio standing with the supporters for the whole game. Got a picture with him and bought him a beer.

He's a true legend and a hero to this team. May his name still be sung 100 years from now.

And Now I just saw a video of Dave Chappelle drunkenly singing Radiohead to a room full of people. It's been a good 48 hours.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 11-23-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Does anyone have the replays of the Jozy "foul" that led to Bradley's goal? When it happened, I cringed because it looked so obvious a foul. But I saw a replay from the other side that looked like the guy fell.
    They didn't use a good angle on instant replay and Borg calls it a foul. There was another one during the highlights from what I think was the net cam, you can see the slip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It was both, honestly. Jozy pushed him and he slipped. It was borderline, but the ref was letting borderline calls go all night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one of the main beneficial outcomes of this game (beyond the 2 away goals) is a pissed-off Giovinco. There's no way he was pleased with his performance. I think he's going to be a massive handful on the 30th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts deserves a crack at the starting line up. He kind of reminds me of Pogba with his movement. Very well composed and can turn the tables.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Ricketts deserves a crack at the starting line up. He kind of reminds me of Pogba with his movement. Very well composed and can turn the tables.
    Agreed

We also need his pace!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    Agreed

We also need his pace!
    His pace and aggression are a lot more useful off the bench. Montreal are barely going to leave their own box in the second leg, he won't do much to help break them down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    They didn't use a good angle on instant replay and Borg calls it a foul. There was another one during the highlights from what I think was the net cam, you can see the slip.
    Borg is a Dork, he sounds like an idiot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I'll say this first: I understand that we have to wait a bit for safety after the game. I'm not indifferent to that. But, I thought the security at the end was terrible.

Beers being thrown aside, the fact that one exit was opened while the other was blocked is how people get hurt. They should have left us to the same exterior concourse blocked off area we had all game with access to washrooms, but seeing as they didn't, they should at least coordinate when we are permitted to leave.

I lost my shit a little bit at the guys getting paid minimum wage, who without an understanding, should be working elsewhere.

Not to mention, when we got to the metro, there was a massive line up of impact and TFC fans blending together anyway rending the whole thing somewhat moot.
    Agreed. It was a shitshow.

I've been going to home/away games for 10 years and never have I had trouble finding a spot in the supporter's section. Most of those times I wouldn't even have tickets in the section I wanted to be in, but I always managed to sneak it.
    Not last night. We got there early and couldn't find a spot anywhere in our section. We were forced to stand in the aisle with a bunch of empty seats to the left of us.
    Montreal should have made more tickets available for TFC fans. Did they really think selling 1400 (when demand called for double that) would stop more people from coming? They crammed 3000 of us in a section that holds 1400.

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Lol. Never thought I'd see those two names in the same sentence

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    His pace and aggression are a lot more useful off the bench. Montreal are barely going to leave their own box in the second leg, he won't do much to help break them down.
    And Osorio will brake them down,give me a break, lineup that finished game in Montreal should start in Toronto,Johnson and Ricktetts should be in from begging.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    And Osorio will brake them down,give me a break, lineup that finished game in Montreal should start in Toronto,Johnson and Ricktetts should be in from begging.
    I didn't say that. I do think Johnson should start over Osorio. Having Ricketts on the field to start the game fucks our ability to manage the game in the second half.

Look at it this way. If we have Rickett's starting and it doesn't work, who do we bring off the bench that will for sure us another gear on the offensive end? And if we go up one or two early, we have three forwards on for at least 20-30 minutes. Having Ricketts start puts us in a huge bind later in the game. It's better to start with a balanced 11 and have a bunch of different guys on the bench who can play very specific roles and offer things that will change the shape of the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I missing something?
    Sure a tie or win would've been ideal, but losing 3-2, a 1-0 or 2-1 win puts us through. 3-2 we go to penalties. I really like our chances. How can you not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing what happened in those last 30 minutes. We went from a position of going into the second leg with a 2-3% chance of going through to suddenly being favorites to advance to MLS Cup.

Really couldn't see it coming considering we created very few good chances leading up to that first goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did this number 3000 come from? They didn't even scan my ticket, nor anyone I was with.

It was a shitshow indeed. A fun shitshow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didnt scan my ticket either. 3 of us just walked right in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...pionships-work

^does a good job of explaining things.

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Sure a tie or win would've been ideal, but losing 3-2, a 1-0 or 2-1 win puts us through. 3-2 we go to penalties. I really like our chances. How can you not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So surprised that no one is talking about those fucken stupid stupid impact fans singing na na na na hey hey hey hey goodbye to us when we went down 3-0 with over 30 to go. Bunch of Morons. Irony at its finest. Stupid sports fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

happy with the result. the only question in my head now is our DF never want to step up in one on one situation (ex: like the 3rd goal as well there were a few times in the game last night) and let them dribble until 20 yards away and take shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I agree with bringing in Johnson over Osorio. Cooper had an off night, but he has been one of our best and most consistent midfielders.

I feel Johnson can break up their counter attacks which were killing us last night.
    Quite simply, Johnson has 2 championships and knows how to win and is a proven winner.... and he is angry that he is not starting and wants to start, these would be my reasons to put him in. He's ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Quite simply, Johnson has 2 championships and knows how to win and is a proven winner.... and he is angry that he is not starting and wants to start, these would be my reasons to put him in. He's ready.
    Exactly Canuckistan - he is a leader it's time for him to start. We were shit until he and Ricketts came on - they made the difference.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I didn't say that. I do think Johnson should start over Osorio. Having Ricketts on the field to start the game fucks our ability to manage the game in the second half.

Look at it this way. If we have Rickett's starting and it doesn't work, who do we bring off the bench that will for sure us another gear on the offensive end? And if we go up one or two early, we have three forwards on for at least 20-30 minutes. Having Ricketts start puts us in a huge bind later in the game. It's better to start with a balanced 11 and have a bunch of different guys on the bench who can play very specific roles and offer things that will change the shape of the game.

3-5-2 doesn't work against good 4-3-3 side and Limpact are really good with that formation and counters as we saw in first 60 minutes of the game one.
    With Johnson and Ricketts TFC switched from a 3-5-2 to a 4-3-3 formation,and that was main reason why we scored 2 goals,do we really want 3-5-2 at BMO and get exposed from the beginning to Limpact counter attack?

We need to start with 4-3-3,since we need to score at least 1 goal and keep clean sheet.
    Johnson brings stability in the middle and with his grit he brings other guys around him to fight for every ball instead of watching it,nothing against Osorio,but these are playoffs and dancing with the ball want get us into the MLS final.
    Ricketts up front is giving us that extra threat from get go,Giovinco can play behind big and speedy froward,Limpact defense will get stretched out as they were last 30 minutes in game one.

Once we are up by 2 or 3 goals,you don't need 3 forwards and you can always go more defensive ,brings subs to help control midfield,like Copper who can draw fouls after fouls and kill some time.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any precedent of a laser pointer being used so extensively in MLS? I'm wondering about possible consequences (in addition to all the other screw-ups at Olympic Stadium).

I still had a good time overall. Feeling the freaking 40-year concrete bounce was interesting -- but it held.