The privilege you've been handed
    You're hearts still beating, hearts still beating
    Just keep it going. Never stop.

Have At It People...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change nothing. The high press destroyed them and it'll work even better in that bandbox.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep this momentum going now. Last night was a massive statement game. The players and the formation we have found is clearly working. It's all up to the coaching staff now to decide if we go there and play for the 0-0 or try and sneak out a 1-0 win. It's hard to say what they will be thinking. Tough place to go but with a 2-0 advantage I think it might take a little pressure off of us. COYR and bring on Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Change nothing. The high press destroyed them and it'll work even better in that bandbox.
    BINGO!!! That ridiculous excuse for a football pitch is made for goal scoring. I am praying that Vanney doesn't park the bus for the whole match. In my mind that is the only way they could blow this advantage. The clean sheet at home was immense!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    BINGO!!! That ridiculous excuse for a football pitch is made for goal scoring. I am praying that Vanney doesn't park the bus for the whole match. In my mind that is the only way they could blow this advantage. The clean sheet at home was immense!!!
    Makes no sense to park the bus. This is a team that can score 3-4 goals in a match, with that small park they should get their chances. We should be out for blood, get that first one and make them stare down a 4 goal disadvantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we switch back to diamond given the narrowness of the field? Keep up the high press though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I am entranced by the fact that this NYC squad fell at home to NYRB and allowed 7 goals back in May.

Giovinco needs a rebound game. TFC needs a ref with a firm grip on the game from the start.

Should Toronto score twice in the first half, my hunch is that NYC would unravel... and Vanney's role will be tactical subs to save our guys from retaliation yellow cards...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good thing about small pitches is they clogged easily. Advantage to the team having to defend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Makes no sense to park the bus. This is a team that can score 3-4 goals in a match, with that small park they should get their chances. We should be out for blood, get that first one and make them stare down a 4 goal disadvantage.
    That's exactly my point. Just hoping Vanney is thinking the same way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I defiantly don't think park the bus is the right mentality to go into this game with. But to be realistic and down to earth talking about the subject. I do think Vanney will come into Sunday with a more defensive mind set. I can see the likes of Osorio getting a rest and have Johnson or Cheyrou in the middle to bring a more gritty game. I can see him going with 4 at the back so that will keep Zav or Haggy out of the lineup. Then in the middle I could see a diamond with Bradley in front of the back line with Cheyrou Johnson or Osorio in the middle with Cooper ahead of them with Seba and Jozy up top. Hard to say forsure there's tons of game plans that could be used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Craig Lowry
    4TH: Ted Unkel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Craig Lowry
    4TH: Ted Unkel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if they bring on a healthy Pirlo, I can't see that team operating well in tighter spaces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PARK THE BUS ... in the midfield. Keep the formation and give NY (Lampard/Pirlo?) zero space to work with on that tiny baseball diamond. Squeeze the life out of the game. It will be important not to drop back too much, a 5-back will award them too much space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They played fairly well at the back last night. Typically they are a bit Swiss cheesy. They will be forced to go for goals on Sunday, and opportunities will arise for us in attack. I can see Giovinco really punishing them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCFC tend to thrive on quick ball movements and movement up the sides - we saw a bit of that near the end from them. This tactic relies upon wide mids being not very interested in defence or disciplined. They also prefer forwards who don't work hard at the press - the top 3 of Seba, Jozy and Osorio worked REALLY hard on that press.

The 3-5-2 with two decent FB's out wide is perfect to stop them. They'll eventually move to over the tops balls to Villa - Moor kept him in check last night.

My biggest worry is when they bring in Lampard - I was watching that last night and they didn't get a chance to use him. BUT, he purposely sits recessed about 20 yards up from the 18 waiting for a time to run in. Somebody has to watch him cause nobody has figured out yet how to track him in.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    LOL see the comments? Apparently, he's a math teacher.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd argue that as good as Cooper and Osorio have been, one of them has to sit - probably Cooper - in favor of Johnson Or Delgado to bring a slightly tougher, more defensive presence in this game. They're going to play McNamara, Lampard and possibly Pirlo in the next game, meaning they're going to be a lot more dangerous through the middle. Cooper and Osorio to a lesser extent have slight tendencies to take plays off on the defensive end. We can't have that in this game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Do we switch back to diamond given the narrowness of the field? Keep up the high press though...
    Might be the best option to start. Getting an away goal before parking the bus would be ideal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will think that we are bunkering for sure.

I'd think seriously about going all out to get that away goal off the bat. You could start Ricketts, go balls to the wall 3-4-3.

Let's open it up. We want a slugfest. If we score they have to win by three.

Fortune favours the bold.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-31-2016 at 05:10 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd think seriously about going all out to get that away goal off the bat. You could start Ricketts, go balls to the wall 3-4-3.

And if we get an early goal they are toast. They would have to open up so wide to get the four they need that we would score multiple times, and they know it. They might have to bunker!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    And if we get an early goal they are toast. They would have to open up so wide to get the four they need that we would score multiple times, and they know it. They might have to bunker!
    Yeah.
    I see NYC being very cautious and tight defensively, hoping they can find opportune moments to score a couple goals while maintaining a clean sheet. If that doesn't work, then it will turn into a wide open game with a number of "hail Mary" attempts on goal by NY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they get an early goal - it gets nervous fast. With that field you know there will be goals. I think we press hard to start - and get Gio on the ball and go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That pitch typically lends itself to unpredictable, less structured, high scoring games, which would work out in our favor. I say we go for it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be great to see the supporters take this level of intensity to Yankee Stadium after literally BMO Field apart this past Sunday.

Everyone check out this video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMNmditjMQ0/

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only seen Vanney bunker once this season and he lost because of it.

TFC is going to play to win. Maybe a little more conservative than last night, but they will be going for goals.

It is going to be an incredible game in NYC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Will be great to see the supporters take this level of intensity to Yankee Stadium after literally BMO Field apart this past Sunday.

HOLY CRAP!!! As an Engineer that scares the pants off of me! They had better add some reinforcement to those stands or they might be looking at a possible disaster! I'm dead serious, stands aren't supposed to move like that. Someone show that vid to the the TFC FO tout suite!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the postage stamp dimensions of the Yankee Stadium pitch, the Reds will be able to push things up field with such intensity. There won't be much open space. NYCFC's pitch measures 110 yards long by 70 yards wide—the smallest field in all of Major League Soccer, and the smallest allowed by FIFA's international guidelines.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/yankee-s...yle-1432860456

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I have only seen Vanney bunker once this season and he lost because of it.

TFC is going to play to win. Maybe a little more conservative than last night, but they will be going for goals.

It is going to be an incredible game in NYC.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the heck is it only Monday, just turned Tuesday? Next Sunday is SOOOOOO far away...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post

Thats amazing (and terrifying)
    I also wanna say how great all the flags looked last night. Great work!