Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Sheikh Mansour's pockets are no doubt deeper than MLSE's... However there will be some sort of Man City tour or all star game deal for next year that should cover it.

ah, silly me. Misread your post. My bad.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 11-02-2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: misread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be overly pessimistic but are there any vegas odds for NYCFC being awarded a penalty within the first 20 minutes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    Go for the away goal, press them non-stop. Never bunker. I feel like if TFC has learned anything over the years, through many different regimes, bunkering usually works out disastrously for us.
    if tfc scores just one goal the odds of winning are 95%, new york has to win by 4-1 or 5-2, add up the odds of the two correct scores as set by oddsmakers and this is what you get

so yes go for it, if you lose by doing this strategy Vanney can say that by going for goals he had a 95% of winning. all we needed was one goal.
    (3%+1.5%)=4.5%. Are you reading this Kurt and/or Greg??

New York City FC 4-1 34 29 31 29 26 36 31 34 29 34 23 28 29 29 28 35 29

this is about 3%

New York City FC 5-2 81 81 81 81 101 101 91 91 81 63 91 91 63
    New York City FC 5-2 81 81 81 81 101 101 91 91 81 63 91 91 63
    this is about 1.5%
    Last edited by stevep; 11-01-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but what do these charts mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those concerned about the rocking score clock on the south stand, it's not new. From the top of 110 we've seen it move like that a few times. The first time was the home opener a few years ago when those boards were first installed ... but its rare to see and only happens when everyone is bouncing, like it was twice this past week, from 112 thru 116. It should be a known issue to management, or perhaps designed to move like that. So, when we return home in 3 or 4 weeks, I say carry on. Let's keep it going on and off the pitch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to teams and coaches in the MLS, only losers play the conspiracy card.

LAG doesn't do it.

Metros/Red Bulls do. SKC does that.

If ya'll want a team that acts like the Red Bulls, like Jesse Marsch, like Peter Vermes, ur not getting it from this lot.

We are the better team.

Focus on beating whoever is on the pitch against us and we will win. Lose focus and get angry at something beyond the control of the players and the Pigeons get the edge. Don't give em that.

We can win this game outright. We certainly are favourites to get out of there with the result we need. Focus on that - the rest is noise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    When it comes to teams and coaches in the MLS, only losers play the conspiracy card.

LAG doesn't do it.

Metros/Red Bulls do. SKC does that.

If ya'll want a team that acts like the Red Bulls, like Jesse Marsch, like Peter Vermes, ur not getting it from this lot.

We are the better team.

Focus on beating whoever is on the pitch against us and we will win. Lose focus and get angry at something beyond the control of the players and the Pigeons get the edge. Don't give em that.

We can win this game outright. We certainly are favourites to get out of there with the result we need. Focus on that - the rest is noise.
    we aren't the players. They should focus on the game. We can talk about the injustice. In fact, we must. We need to shine light on this corrupt situation. There is no doubt that Cooper will get a yellow in this game and be suspended. Let's just hope that Jozy and/ or Bradley doesn't. Bradley was immense on Sunday. Suppose he gets a yellow for an innocuous foul against Villa, who shouldn't be on the pitch. What does the league say or do then? I wouldn't want to be that referee in Toronto ever again. The league has opened up all sorts of problems by this uncourageous act.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Vanney will go with the midfield diamond rather than the 3-5-2 at Yankee Stadium.

Why?

1. While 3-5-2 would be stronger defensively, for it to really work you need to also apply offensive pressure on your opponent's back line. Given how narrow the field is, wing play is very difficult to do, so we would end up being bottled up in our own end.

2. Vanney has already said that he won't try to bunker for the 90, instead he is planning to attack. This makes total sense because an away goal would be huge.

3. The only way to attack on the narrow pitch is through the middle. The diamond is much more suited to that type of play.

4. NYFC will have to open up because they are behind. This gives lots of opportunity to exploit their poor back line, which should look even worse than last game if Viera goes with his usual attacking formation. Vanney noted a while back that TFC scores more goals in the diamond formation.

So I expect that Vanney will go with the diamond. We are going to see a lot of goals on both ends, but the 2 goal lead going into this game, combined with the away goals rule gives TFC an edge if they are on their game.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I agree. I suggested 3-4-3, to get Ricketts on as a starter, but that makes more sense.

The players all know that system, and Ricketts can come on at halftime.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I agree. I suggested 3-4-3, to get Ricketts on as a starter, but that makes more sense.

I agree with that too. Ricketts will come on in the second half sometime.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Not to be overly pessimistic but are there any vegas odds for NYCFC being awarded a penalty within the first 20 minutes?
    I honestly can see it happinning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    The resonance is not the main thing I'm worried about. It's the continuous, repetitive flexing of the structural members that I'm worried about a fatigue fracture at some point in the future. You know how you sometimes bend a metal spoon when scooping ice cream, then bend in back into its original shape? Do that enough times and it will snap at the bending point. If that kind of movement has been going on all season...
    What you're talking about is plastic deformation, not elastic... The bounce is still in the elastic range for the rebar in the structure. Although fatigue could become an issue, it won't on its own through just a few oscillations.

(Rule of thumb for safety factor in structures is 2.5 to 3, by the way.)

Regardless, it bears inspection and monitoring.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    For those concerned about the rocking score clock on the south stand, it's not new. From the top of 110 we've seen it move like that a few times. The first time was the home opener a few years ago when those boards were first installed ... but its rare to see and only happens when everyone is bouncing, like it was twice this past week, from 112 thru 116. It should be a known issue to management, or perhaps designed to move like that. So, when we return home in 3 or 4 weeks, I say carry on. Let's keep it going on and off the pitch.
    Just to give a quick update here, there is no way I would suggest we tone down any celebration or effort supporting in the stands. TFC are aware of the movement and have people looking at it and applying a fix to ensure it wont fall or rock as much.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I'm glad it's being looked at. Thanks for the safety factor, my background is more Mechanical than Civil so I'm not as up on building structural issues.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Vanney will go with the midfield diamond rather than the 3-5-2 at Yankee Stadium.

Why?

1. While 3-5-2 would be stronger defensively, for it to really work you need to also apply offensive pressure on your opponent's back line. Given how narrow the field is, wing play is very difficult to do, so we would end up being bottled up in our own end.

2. Vanney has already said that he won't try to bunker for the 90, instead he is planning to attack. This makes total sense because an away goal would be huge.

3. The only way to attack on the narrow pitch is through the middle. The diamond is much more suited to that type of play.

4. NYFC will have to open up because they are behind. This gives lots of opportunity to exploit their poor back line, which should look even worse than last game if Viera goes with his usual attacking formation. Vanney noted a while back that TFC scores more goals in the diamond formation.

So I expect that Vanney will go with the diamond. We are going to see a lot of goals on both ends, but the 2 goal lead going into this game, combined with the away goals rule gives TFC an edge if they are on their game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I agree with that too. Ricketts will come on in the second half sometime.
    Very good points.

If we get the lead in the first half, I say Rickets comes on for Gio (protect the biggest fish). I could also see Johnson and Cheyrou coming on into the diamond in the second half to spell Osorio and even Bradley (especially if the play is getting chippy).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the 4-4 draw at Yankee Stadium, didn't TFC play a 3-4-3 in that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so on September 22nd MLS suspends Cooper for tapping a player with his toe while he was on the ground. Villa gets nothing is a travesty. I don't care who you are Zidane headbutt or Joey Barton even Gatusso. Shame on you MLS for being so weak.

It's not like having villa play will make a difference for NYC because we are TFC and we are going all the walking to the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Just to give a quick update here, there is no way I would suggest we tone down any celebration or effort supporting in the stands. TFC are aware of the movement and have people looking at it and applying a fix to ensure it wont fall or rock as much.
    Yeah I emailed them right after Rollins tweeted that video, and they said they'd look into it. Glad you've heard more, since then.

I suspect the movement of the stands is not worrisome to the engineers, but the sign itself needs to be isolated from the stands and attached to the concourse only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    It gets even better

"The Disciplinary Committee was unanimous that Villa's kick deserved a red card, but it was not unanimous that it was of an egregious nature with the need to protect player safety."

Taken from
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/11/01/david-villa-nycfc-toronto-fc-kick-armando-cooper-mls-playoffs
    The MLS FO is getting crucified in forums and on social media about this. I'm worried that in wanting to gain a prime TV market, they've turned off a lot of potential viewers who won't watch now in boycott. This could blow up in their face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    The MLS FO is getting crucified in forums and on social media about this. I'm worried that in wanting to gain a prime TV market, they've turned off a lot of potential viewers who won't watch now in boycott. This could blow up in their face.
    I think those who want to watch will still end up watching. However all the new eyes that turn onto a league during exciting times, will see this calamtiy which will not help the league shed it's mickey mouse / you're not a big league image.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So MLS have said Villa should have got a red card for his kick, but they decided not to suspend him for the return leg in NY

Cooper did not get the same leniency when he was banned for a game for the same issue.

Fucking pussys at MLS !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if the committee says its a red, then suspend him.

The integrity of the game is yet again destroyed by MLS.

I would protest the game in my opinion.

How its not a clearly an offense that puts the other player in danger is beyond me, its a deliberate kick to an area where you could be out for months rehabbing.

Also Bradley's a fucking idiot, use your fucking head, they ruled it a red, its a dangerous offense, stfu or support TFC.
    Last edited by Richard; 11-02-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Also Bradley's a fucking idiot, use your fucking head, they ruled it a red, its a dangerous offense, stfu or support TFC.

He is supporting TFC. It's obviously better for the team, the players, to take a "doesn't phase us" attitude rather than complaining about the decision and possibly heading into the game distracted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to remember that MLS is in the entertainment business. They just use soccer as their entertainment medium. Anyone surprised by their decision to allow Villa to play shouldn't have been. The only surprise for me is the statement by the DisCo that just confounds the issue. If they had said it was reviewed and no suspension there is some griping but everyone moves on. This "it should have been a red, but..." might be the best advertising for ticket sales this weekend they could have created.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So if the committee says its a red, then suspend him.

The integrity of the game is yet again destroyed by MLS.

I would protest the game in my opinion.

How its not a clearly an offense that puts the other player in danger is beyond me, its a deliberate kick to an area where you could be out for months rehabbing.

Richard, I know this is your opinion, which you are entitled to, we are all flabbergasted by the decision, but your comment about Bradley our team captain like it or not, surely you are still reeling, but put it to rest, you get way too excited about things you can't do Fuck all about. Don't be the petulant child that Villa is, you are better than that.

Come on you Reds!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we were all used to this by now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Richard, I know this is your opinion, which you are entitled to, we are all flabbergasted by the decision, but your comment about Bradley our team captain like it or not, surely you are still reeling, but put it to rest, you get way too excited about things you can't do Fuck all about. Don't be the petulant child that Villa is, you are better than that.

Come on you Reds!!!!!
    Yeah got a little excited.

I love Bradley, good person, no ill will towards him.

I didn't want to hear him agreeing with the decision though, we all know it was bullshit.

Well still knock them out though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cents:

I don't support the put it to rest attitude. To roll over means you will accept this sort of thing in the future. This needs to be thrown in their face till this sort of thing stops. People who get their pay-cheque from MLS will have to tow the line, but we don't. We pay those cheques.

We need a big banner for the next home game: MLS= Mickymouse League Soccer!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post

We need a big banner for the next home game: MLS= Mickymouse League Soccer!
    Think about this for a minute. Your random sports fan has no idea about the MLS disciplinary committee, and all he sees is a banner calling our league "Micky Mouse." He's just going to think that the banner is about the quality of the soccer in our league and how it's not as good as the EPL. All of our hard work to get our own league recognized as worth following done in by one banner!

We should support our team, that's what we're there for.

(BTW, someone unaffiliated should refrain from the temptation to tell a supporters group what to do. I wouldn't tell U-Sector or the Inebriatti what banners they should make, especially since I'm not helping them with the hard work).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-02-2016 at 09:51 PM.