Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I don't know that is true.

This article suggests the timeline for when the temporary sod surface was put in for Real Madrid was about 3 days.

Laid on a Wednesday, RM practiced on it that night. Game played on Friday. The sod had a 10 day lifespan.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/s...?client=safari
    In that case, they could plan ahead because they knew exactly what they would be doing. The sod was all there & ready to go.

Plus they didn't have to remove the old surface. The sod just went on top of the plastic.

In this case, do they harvest the sod in Hamilton and truck it up just in case the surface will be destroyed? Surely not.

The plan here, if ever needed, is for a real heavy-duty operation, not a temp quick fix that gets thrown on top of the existing surface. They mentioned the replacement sod would be cut extra thick, so it lies better and slips less. The old sod is cut out accordingly. I don't think this would have to lie and settle as long therefore, but I think this is a major operation that takes a while. Maybe they don't even roll the new sod if it's so thick, but that means lots of truck runs.

They may have some quick fix solutions though that they haven't told us about. Most likely cut out & replace some smaller sections, if needed. That works if the damage is limited to smaller areas. Fingers crossed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    In that case, they could plan ahead because they knew exactly what they would be doing. The sod was all there & ready to go.

Plus they didn't have to remove the old surface. The sod just went on top of the plastic.

In this case, do they harvest the sod in Hamilton and truck it up just in case the surface will be destroyed? Surely not.

The plan here, if ever needed, is for a real heavy-duty operation, not a temp quick fix that gets thrown on top of the existing surface. They mentioned the replacement sod would be cut extra thick, so it lies better and slips less. The old sod is cut out accordingly. I don't think this would have to lie and settle as long therefore, but I think this is a major operation that takes a while. Maybe they don't even roll the new sod if it's so thick, but that means lots of truck runs.

They may have some quick fix solutions though that they haven't told us about. Most likely cut out & replace some smaller sections, if needed. That works if the damage is limited to smaller areas. Fingers crossed.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Nah, duct tape is the Canadian way. You can even get that shit in green these days. Or maybe green painters tape?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Nah, duct tape is the Canadian way. You can even get that shit in green these days. Or maybe green painters tape?
    Ha! Painters tape would look seamless!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I think about this, the number one risk to us in terms of conditions is wind, given our recent reliance on, or at least the threat of, long balls over the top to Altidore, and the likelihood of blustery conditions down there. I'd say there is a 50% chance of wind being a factor.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ Wind would help Oduro wouldn't it?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes. The sod was laid. That surface had not taken root properly but meh it was for a friendly. Real Madrid asked for real grass and they got it.
    You know the "it's working" so far reality?

I think they just went from 0 to 10 on the anxiety scale with two of the most high profile events at this time of year taking place 3 days from each other in what could be really challenging weather in the first year of the ground share.

You couldn't produce more testing circumstances for Leiweke's plan than this.

I will say that this is the fork in the road.

It either fails miserably and the no ground share camp grows louder or it works and we put this issue to bed forever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pookie,
    you often say things like "put the issue to bed"

but as long as the risk is there, even minuscule, it will always haunt Soccer Purists.

it might rain a little on Grey Cup Sunday, and the field will likely be fine.
    But there are many factors...no one can truly control anything outdoors.
    There is always the risk of some fluke storm that no one has ever seen. and as long as there is a chance that the other tenant could ruin things, people will always wonder.

the issue will never be put to bed until TFC is the sole tenant of a facility.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes in reference to both posts above this is the biggest spotlight the pitch will have this year since the intro of groundshare but this will not be put to bed any more than the "pro groundshare" camp will be unanimous in what's to be deemed acceptable pitch quality.

This yearning for definitive closure is folly on interwebs.

But hey, there's plenty of interwebs out there.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Pookie,

but as long as the risk is there, even minuscule, it will always haunt Soccer Purists.

There is always the risk of some fluke storm that no one has ever seen. and as long as there is a chance that the other tenant could ruin things, people will always wonder.

Well, I guess if you want to cross your fingers and hope for a bad bounce over the next 10 years then you are entitled to do that.

But for most... under this spotlight, under these weather conditions, under this time crunch... if they can make it run smooth, they have proven Leiweke's dream can work.

We would all agree that this is THE extreme test... with the most on the line for both leagues.... that could have been designed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well, I guess if you want to cross your fingers and hope for a bad bounce over the next 10 years then you are entitled to do that.

But for most... under this spotlight, under these weather conditions, under this time crunch... if they can make it run smooth, they have proven Leiweke's dream can work.

We would all agree that this is THE extreme test... with the most on the line for both leagues.... that could have been designed.
    Mud bowl. Sure. Worse weather this time of year but if you're trying to say this year wasn't ideal weather wise, that this season was the worst that this pitch will see...

might as well ask for a thread close. Both are as likely as the other.

This isn't about hoping for the worst. It's also not some experiment with a definite end. If that's what you're after, I've said before you would be wasting posts here. It's not like we're removing posts about the great conditions we've enjoyed this year. The conditions will be what they are and all will be able to see them and make their own opinion on it.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 11-08-2016 at 02:11 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is a new thread to discuss pitch sharing issues only with respect to grass, markings on the field, etc. This includes any issues with respect to sharing with CFL, lacrosse, rugby, various other types of gridiron, soccer uses oustide of MLS, etc.

No discussions of other sports, their attendance, etc. is to be covered in this thread. Instead discuss those in the "All Sports Talk" sections. Any trolling or off-topic posts will be deleted.
    Somebody forgot the rules of this thread and their post has been deleted.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A major issue is if it dips below zero, thus the field became hard as a rock. It becomes much harder to repair/fix if chunks get pulled up. It prove to be a challenge.

Pookie,

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    A major issue is if it dips below zero, thus the field became hard as a rock. It becomes much harder to repair/fix if chunks get pulled up. It prove to be a challenge.
    Thats why there is 42km of glycol heating pipes under there
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It's a myth. There's really just a bed of loonies under there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds perfect , none of those English style pitch inspections will be needed ( :

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a myth. There's really just a bed of loonies under there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^When Drogba comes to town.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't just pull a number out of my ass either:

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/stnew.../2012spr20.pdf
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossing my fingers for a blinding snowstorm on November 30th!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Crossing my fingers for a blinding snowstorm on November 30th!

Only starting during the game time - I want to get there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "mud bowl" was played in a different era. I dont think with modern drainage that stadiums have, that it's possible. But damage due to overuse in the leadup to the game, and during the grey cup itself could be a factor. As are remnants of lines, and logos, if they are painted on. Who knows what the agreement is for the GC regarding the field.
    That said, will we really notice? I'm sure I'll spend most of the GC thinking of how the grass is holding up, but once we start the game against Montreal, I won't be thinking of faint lines, or a few divots.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Somebody forgot the rules of this thread and their post has been deleted.
    Hardly, my darling. I'm probably part of the reason the old thread got shuttered. That was lazy editing.

And my conclusion was that field sharing issues at critical junctures like conference finals might be a moot point in future if the Grey Cup isn't played in Toronto for some years to come.

Wouldn't it be better to let the field freeze hard for the Grey Cup so they don't rip up the turf? Then crank up the heat pipes the minute the game is over.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 11-09-2016 at 09:35 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Hardly, my darling. I'm probably part of the reason the old thread got shuttered. That was lazy editing.

And my conclusion was that field sharing issues at critical junctures like conference finals might be a moot point in future if the Grey Cup isn't played in Toronto for some years to come.

Wouldn't it be better to let the field freeze hard for the Grey Cup so they don't rip up the turf? Then crank up the heat pipes the minute the game is over.
    Hardly a conclusion and it was an off topic troll followed by a final line about the pitch. Leave it out next time or infractions will follow.

I am interested to see if your above question is how they indeed deal with the pitch or if its possible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardly a conclusion and it was an off topic troll followed by a final line about the pitch. Leave it out next time or infractions will follow.

I am interested to see if your above question is how they indeed deal with the pitch or if its possible.
    I am no pitch expert/grounds keeper but I wonder if turning the heat on and off multiple time in a short period of time would have a negative effect on it. I am just wondering out loud. Anyone know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am no pitch expert/grounds keeper but I wonder if turning the heat on and off multiple time in a short period of time would have a negative effect on it. I am just wondering out loud. Anyone know?
    they probably keep the soil a consistent temp. its not cold enough yet anyways.

grass can go dormant and come out many times

look at your lawn, its grows best in this weather, mines the greenest its been all year. (except for the damn squirls digging it up)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be skunks or raccoons digging out and eating chafer beetle grubs. It's not a bad thing for them to do. The grubs will ruin the roots of the grass. Just flatten it out again and be sure to re-seed and top dress in the spring.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    they probably keep the soil a consistent temp. its not cold enough yet anyways.

grass can go dormant and come out many times

look at your lawn, its grows best in this weather, mines the greenest its been all year. (except for the damn squirls digging it up)
    Drove by BMO last night,around midnight, all lights were on,those special heating lights were covering almost whole field, maintenance crew is really working hard to keep that pitch in the best possible shape.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Drove by BMO last night,around midnight, all lights were on,those special heating lights were covering almost whole field, maintenance crew is really working hard to keep that pitch in the best possible shape.
    Plus for the Grey Cup week, its not just the game, the teams practice on the field Wednesday thru Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus for the Grey Cup week, its not just the game, the teams practice on the field Wednesday thru Saturday.

Yikes......tell me this is not true?