Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 1,291 to 1,312 of 1312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally they let it freeze, then wake it early with the heating system - but I don't think there's even much frost in my lawn this year - there was none at all in early January when I had to dig a hole in it. Probably not a typical winter ... should be better than normal I'd think when the season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Normally they let it freeze, then wake it early with the heating system - but I don't think there's even much frost in my lawn this year - there was none at all in early January when I had to dig a hole in it. Probably not a typical winter ... should be better than normal I'd think when the season starts.
    Really depends on how the rest of the winter goes. Judging entirely by golf courses, the freeze thaw freeze thaw cycle isn’t ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Really depends on how the rest of the winter goes. Judging entirely by golf courses, the freeze thaw freeze thaw cycle isn’t ideal.
    I thought I read some time ago that they were changing from Kentucky bluegrass to traditional ryegrass

Not sure if that actually occurred during the second half of the '19 season or if it's to be expected this year
    Last edited by Bellzy; 02-07-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellzy View Post
    I thought I read some time ago that they were changing from Kentucky bluegrass to traditional ryegrass

Not sure if that actually occurred during the second half of the '19 season or if it's to be expected this year
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was early last year when they last resodded it, a couple of months before they sewed in the hybrid.

From the stands, I don't think it ever looked better than last season. I didn't notice the CFL impacts. And I didn't hear any of the usual complaints about the pitch conditions!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the advantage of CFL over NFL is that there are a lot more passing plays and general motion, that don't seem to tear up the ground as much as the NFL-Style running game that we saw tear up Wembley despite it's hybrid surface. CFL players are somewhat smaller and lighter, so there's that too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...oin-party-2020

I want a safe standing section (even if I barely make it to a home game nowadays...)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...oin-party-2020

I want a safe standing section (even if I barely make it to a home game nowadays...)
    Manning has already said they're putting one in next year.

I'm actually surprised that article didn't mention it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was down by the stadium a couple days ago. Peeked through the fence and as best as I could tell they have the tarp over the grass with obviously snow on top of that. I'm sure it will look good come the home opener. We'll know when we're getting close since the grow lights will be on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    I was down by the stadium a couple days ago. Peeked through the fence and as best as I could tell they have the tarp over the grass with obviously snow on top of that. I'm sure it will look good come the home opener. We'll know when we're getting close since the grow lights will be on.
    I'm wondering how long they need the lights on it to let it grow. It's less than a month until the home opener, so I'm assuming it's soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, BMO Grounds Crew tweeted out (its a locked account so no use putting it in here) a pic of healthy grass growing under the tarps.

22 days until our home opener

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW, BMO Grounds Crew tweeted out (its a locked account so no use putting it in here) a pic of healthy grass growing under the tarps.

22 days until our home opener
    I asked to follow them but they rejected me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grow lights are on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Grow lights are on
    Yep, I was back home for a few days and drove by on the Gardiner and saw them. Man, what a great view!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From last weekend:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine this though - if we had been in CCL, they might have had to postpone tonight. And the pitch would be a mess for weeks if we tried to do this. Hopefully we don't have much cold next week.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-26-2020 at 09:29 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to put this one in its proper place

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/08/17/cfl-no...d-season-fall/

No pointy ball on BMO field this year it seems - would have been unlikely given they wanted to do their bubble in Winnipeg but 2020 CFL is, in theory, scrapped. I say in theory because the article puts the blame squarely on the federal government and reads like a "you made us do this you nasty people!" piece.

Feel for the few thousand people out of work due to this across the country - most of them already laid off but anything for this year hope wise is seemingly gone. Not good news.

One minor note - this is a piece from the league and posturing for support - it's interesting how they say they are gate driven compared to the US - I think that's a negotiating stance.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-17-2020 at 12:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the day before Halloween & likely our most important match of the season so far is approximately 97 hours away. So necroing this thread seems appropriate.

While waiting for the TFC game to come on, I've been watching how the field is doing during the Argo game today with all this rain.

Bits coming up, lots of small gouges but no big strips. No obvious pooling, no obvious overly worn areas.

We shall see on Wednesday but it could be a hell of a lot worse.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CFL lines were easily visible on TV tonight, and although the pitch looked a little rough, but it did not seem to impact the play overly much.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is different this year, and I don't understand what. It seemed like the weather this year should have been good for growing grass. Also there was way less wear and tear on it than in a normal year, with CFL and especially MLS starting later than normal. The 2nd year of less wear than normal.

But the field looks worse than before the pandemic. Brown soil peeking through the grass everywhere; it just doesn't look as lush as before. Also both footy and CFL lines much more noticeable during the other sport than in previous years. I already noticed these things months ago. Anybody that asks the BMO Field crew about stuff like this on Twitter gets blocked.

Did they reduce the field maintenance budget because TFC (& the Argos) must be leaking money like crazy during the pandemic? Is it time for new grass, and how do you do that with the plastic fibre already sown in? You can't just bring in new sod like in the past. Will over-seeding it help?
    Last edited by Auzzy; 11-03-2021 at 10:40 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson posted they brought out the mowers soon after the game last night - probably to get the lines out a bit more.

Seems 3 days isn't enough time to lose the lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wear and tear on the field has been quite apparent this year. I wonder if it has to be with the way TFC and Argos have been scheduled this year? Both teams played a heavy amount of home games in the second half of the year. Also, there was a few CMNT games as well.

I looked at the BMO Field calendar (https://www.bmofield.com/events/calendar) and there has been almost two games per week since the end the August. In past years, they were a little more thoughtful in scheduling with adequate recovery time between games.

Hopefully a non-covid season will improve things.