Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I was talking to a Friend of mine who lives in Hamilton and lives pretty close to Hamilton's new Tim Horton's Field and he was saying that other than the Ticat's games there he has not noticed much of anything else happening there, so how does a publicly funded stadium make money with a main tenant that only uses the stadium like what 10 times a year? I'm sure it's rented out for community use like youth and high school teams and adult league sports and stuff but can a stadium like this make money from 10 CFL games and then renting the field out to community sports? When BMO Field had only TFC as the only tenant at least they had TFC had about 20 home dates, so I can't see how a stadium like Tim Hortons Field makes money.
    No idea

This is the fallacy that most economic studies point to when billionaires argue that tax dollars be used for stadiums. Virtually all find that there is no positive economic impact despite the claims.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pitch does look nice though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL does not tear up a grass field like its American counterpart. The players spend so much time running on and off the field after going 2 and out that the grass is hardly affected. I think we're gonna be fine here folks

Its ironic that the NFL is playing 3 games in England this year, trying desperately to expand their brand in a staunchly football market. Meanwhile the Argos are playing second fiddle to TFC at BMO. Funny how history works.
    Last edited by BelfastBoy; 10-22-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    CFL does not tear up a grass field like its American counterpart. The players spend so much time running on and off the field after going 2 and out that the grass is hardly affected. I think we're gonna be fine here folks

Its ironic that the NFL is playing 3 games in England this year, trying desperately to expand their brand in a staunchly football market. Meanwhile the Argos are playing second fiddle to TFC at BMO. Funny how history works.

There's nothing desperate about the NFL's move to London. It's been years in the making and with Spurs new stadium being tailor made for the NFL with a retractrable grass pitch to allow a lower NFL playing surface, they finally have a proper showcase stadium for the sport. Look for a franchise to take root in Norf London soon. Germany soon after.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-23-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: remove trolling comments

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I was talking to a Friend of mine who lives in Hamilton and lives pretty close to Hamilton's new Tim Horton's Field and he was saying that other than the Ticat's games there he has not noticed much of anything else happening there, so how does a publicly funded stadium make money with a main tenant that only uses the stadium like what 10 times a year? I'm sure it's rented out for community use like youth and high school teams and adult league sports and stuff but can a stadium like this make money from 10 CFL games and then renting the field out to community sports? When BMO Field had only TFC as the only tenant at least they had TFC had about 20 home dates, so I can't see how a stadium like Tim Hortons Field makes money.
    The crux of the biscuit when it comes to the CFL.

It's all just some sort of publicly-funded, cross-Canada charitable cause to cure the horrible defliction of CTB.

Chronic Tractor Butt.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 10-22-2016 at 09:42 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't we have an NFL discussion forum somewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a 3 day window between Grey Cup and MLS playoffs. I wonder how the pitch will fare

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As AWESOME as it is to make it to the conference finals for the first time - it really sucks that those games are on a Tuesday (Nov. 22nd in Montreal) & Wednesday (Nov. 30th at BMO Field).

Please remind me: As far as I know, MLS playoffs (other than the knockout round) have usually been on weekends, haven't they? So is our crappy schedule due to a CFL division final being on Sunday Nov. 20th -- in case the Argos had made it to the playoffs -- and due to the Grey Cup being Sunday Nov. 27th at BMO Field?

That's obviously a major impact on the field & our team -- just saying. And I believe the Grey Cup will have ads & other stuff painted on the field (unlike the regular season games). Hopefully we don't get a muddy day on the 27th.

EDIT the MLS western conference finals are on weekends BTW -- Nov. 20th & 27th.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 11-06-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dates were set weeks ago, regardless of whether TFC was playing or not.

Now, did the league ask all the EC teams what days would work in advance, and TFC vetoed a weekend game, forcing EC teams into a weekday match? (tinfoil hat)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised they are not going with Rogers centre on account of what the weather could be like. Personally I'm happy its BMO

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    Dates were set weeks ago, regardless of whether TFC was playing or not.

Now, did the league ask all the EC teams what days would work in advance, and TFC vetoed a weekend game, forcing EC teams into a weekday match? (tinfoil hat)
    I don't think it's tinfoil hat. The schedule impacts were already talked about when the MLS playoff schedule was set weeks ago. (And obviously TFC has been in a playoff position for a long time, so they would have to consider it.) Now I have no idea if there were additional reasons, perhaps some other stadium conflicts in other cities, or broadcast considerations. But the CFL schedule definitely played a roll for the MLS eastern conference scheduling.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How 'bout a change in dates? The second leg of the East Final on the Saturday or Sunday to better prepare for the field?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    We have a 3 day window between Grey Cup and MLS playoffs. I wonder how the pitch will fare
    Shouldn't be a problem. Just move the Grey Cup game.

Either to warm, welcoming Hamilton where people give an eff about the CeffL, or to another date to accommodate BMO Field's core product.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discussed this far too much during the game. I guess the blowout win, kinda took any element of suspense or tension out of the game.
    Until the email went out I was thinking we'd be at Rogers Centre. Just the potential for a huge crowd, the weather, the condition of the field, etc, made us think a venue change may be coming. We even logged in to purchase out tix right away in part to see if the game was still at BMO.
    I am worried about the pitch. You have the football game, the practices, the half time show where they'll cart out the stage, the logos, the lines, etc.
    3 days in the winter is not enough time to turn it around. But then again, maybe they wont paint the logos on, or the end zones, and perhaps we'll all be suprised. Wonder if they have an orange ball to use in case we're playing in a snow storm.
    I had my doubts all year for the groundshare, but it turned out to be generally fine. And I'll take a few faded logos over being in the Dome every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    As AWESOME as it is to make it to the conference finals for the first time - it really sucks that those games are on a Tuesday (Nov. 22nd in Montreal) & Wednesday (Nov. 30th at BMO Field).

Please remind me: As far as I know, MLS playoffs (other than the knockout round) have usually been on weekends, haven't they? So is our crappy schedule due to a CFL division final being on Sunday Nov. 20th -- in case the Argos had made it to the playoffs -- and due to the Grey Cup being Sunday Nov. 27th at BMO Field?

That's obviously a major impact on the field & our team -- just saying. And I believe the Grey Cup will have ads & other stuff painted on the field (unlike the regular season games). Hopefully we don't get a muddy day on the 27th.

I believe its still on the agreement that there will be no logos on the field for CFL regular season and Grey Cup. Though I need someone to confirm this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a bad feeling that the field will be in poor shape for the game. Grey cup teams will likely have training sessions leading up-to the game. Foot traffic will be heavy with players, media and technical in preparation for the game. Winter weather will be approaching. Field will have morning dew and be wet and soft. Field markings/logos could be hard to remove if 300lb-400lb players make permanent divets in the field. I hope this does not lead to a shit show for our game. Even though talk has been that the ground share has worked all it will take is 1 instance as big as this event to prove it fails..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle home date was moved to 22nd due to Seahawks playing at 4:25pm.

There's alot of room for issues with certain teams on weekends this time of year. Obviously Seattle as mentioned (Revs could have this problem too with a stadium share), but what if the Argos were a 1st place team? They'd have a date at home on the 20th when we could have potentially hosted a 1st leg of the East Final should NYRB advanced. Very easily can clash this time of year.

Not that there is alot of crossover in fandom, but if you have any sliver of preference to TFC, you want the Argos to fail ever year to avoid this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well somebody is confident

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Certainly a test for the grounds crew but let's have some faith. There is a back up pitch available here too.

Ironic that the Montreal game will likely be played on the equivalent of cement painted green amidst falling debris (after clinching in a baseball stadium) and we are concerned about paint on one of the best natural surfaces in the league.

Bigger things to worry about. Like booking off Thursday from work

See you at the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm....back up pitch in and down in 3 days? Doubtful.

Hey, I think if anybody can do it its this crew but the variables involved are numerous.

As I've been saying for months, we will see.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What does "100% coverage" mean, that all spots are fully re-grown?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Olympic Stadium turf was replaced, wasn't it? Not even close to great of course, but I think it's better than it used to be...?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE-GERMINATE! RE-GERMINATE!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does "100% coverage" mean, that all spots are fully re-grown?
    No,that means for Gray Cup they will cover grass with artificial turf,so TFC can have good playing surface
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Certainly a test for the grounds crew but let's have some faith. There is a back up pitch available here too.

Ironic that the Montreal game will likely be played on the equivalent of cement painted green amidst falling debris (after clinching in a baseball stadium) and we are concerned about paint on one of the best natural surfaces in the league.

Bigger things to worry about. Like booking off Thursday from work

See you at the game.
    Hmmm....back up pitch in and down in 3 days? Doubtful.

Hey, I think if anybody can do it its this crew but the variables involved are numerous.

As I've been saying for months, we will see.
    The back up pitch is a non starter. It's in reserve for the seasons half way point. The scheme was and so far will be for next year, a switch out or swap mid way during a break in the schedule longer than a week. For roots to take it requires weeks, not 3 days. They could put the new sod downs but the slip and slide would be hilarity if it wasn't suppose to be serious.

I am very confident that whatever state the pitch is in after the Grey Cup will be better than what would happen if they switched it out for a pretty but not functional new sod.

So...that's something.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Olympic Stadium turf was replaced, wasn't it? Not even close to great of course, but I think it's better than it used to be...?
    They replaced all the Turf in all the Stadiums involved in the 2015WWC just prior to the tournament, so the surface should be less than 2 years old. If it's the same stuff they use here in Ottawa, I have yet to see an injury at a Fury game due to the turf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could exceed the best intentions of any plan. If we get heavy rain leading up to the to the Grey Cup... (to be fair they screwed up in 1950, didn't put a tarp down pregame)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXG4EkBkaw

Terrible conditions are a relatively common occurence at the Grey Cup: the 1962 Fog Bowl at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto, the 1965 Wind Bowl at Exhibition Stadium, the 1977 Ice Bowl at Olympic Stadium in Montréal, the 1982 Rain Bowl at Exhibition Stadium and the 1996 Snow Bowl at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton.

The Wind Bowl and Ice Bowl deserve a bit of attention - TFC should try to think about a game plan for those, if they happen.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-08-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the swap out of turf requires a week.

logical if you think of it.

1 day to harvest
    1 day to ship
    1 day to unroll
    few days of watering/stitching/establishing/etc.

otherwise it'll be just loose sod that will slip around.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The back up pitch is a non starter. It's in reserve for the seasons half way point. The scheme was and so far will be for next year, a switch out or swap mid way during a break in the schedule longer than a week. For roots to take it requires weeks, not 3 days. They could put the new sod downs but the slip and slide would be hilarity if it wasn't suppose to be serious.
    I don't know that is true.

This article suggests the timeline for when the temporary sod surface was put in for Real Madrid was about 3 days.

Laid on a Wednesday, RM practiced on it that night. Game played on Friday. The sod had a 10 day lifespan.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/s...?client=safari

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I don't know that is true.

This article suggests the timeline for when the temporary sod surface was put in for Real Madrid was about 3 days.

Laid on a Wednesday, RM practiced on it that night. Game played on Friday. The sod had a 10 day lifespan.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/s...?client=safari
    Yes. The sod was laid. That surface had not taken root properly but meh it was for a friendly. Real Madrid asked for real grass and they got it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER