Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Well your complaints may be valid but Rogers was not an option. 2 weeks to lay down a pitch is not enough time.
    Agreed. But the new infield at rogers could have been designed to allow for a hybrid cover of sorts, and MLSE would have been able to correct 2016 this Tuesday. Besides, with the old football seating, the dome would be satisfactory for a TFC game or two. As it now stands, I am not going to attend any more bone chilling bmo games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update from the ground crew...

(Interesting: that account doesn't seem to allow retweeting, and also doesn't display its tweets here as is normally the case.)

In case Twitter is blocked for you:

BMO Grounds Crew‏
    @TFC_GroundsDept
    Layin' down lines...Feb games on natural grass... #challenges Thank you all our partners for the support... @SGLsystem @SubAirSystems @FloratineFoliar @greenhorizonsod @Speer @SSStadia @Covermaster @Infinicut @RainBirdCorp @TurfCareProdCA @gc_duke @TURFCanada @Allturf_Ltd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    As for mucking up the turf, I thought they were laying new grass in the off season, then making a switch to hybrid mid season. Can someone reconfirm the plan?
    They layed the new grass in the late fall. The idea is to let it stabilize, and as far as I understand it sew in the hybrid fibres in April.

If we destroy the pitch before then ... not sure what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Agreed. But the new infield at rogers could have been designed to allow for a hybrid cover of sorts, and MLSE would have been able to correct 2016 this Tuesday. Besides, with the old football seating, the dome would be satisfactory for a TFC game or two. As it now stands, I am not going to attend any more bone chilling bmo games.
    The new infield was designed for that as far as I know ... well artificial turf, not hybrid.

My understanding though, is there is no artificial turf currently - someone has to $ for it. I guess destroying the new grass at BMO in February at minus 12 is cheaper.

Hmm, I wonder if we'll hit the record low ever ... I'll have to dig through the climate records.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does everything think about the look of the pitch:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    What does everything think about the look of the pitch:

Not the best but for new sod put down in November to be usable at least with the weather we have had since, the grounds crew deserves at least a little credit (since it isn't the hydrid turf yet either)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Not the best but for new sod put down in November to be usable at least with the weather we have had since, the grounds crew deserves at least a little credit (since it isn't the hydrid turf yet either)
    What's the plan - 1% hybrid fibres? I'm not sure how that would make the pitch more usable at this time of year.

Before the match at least ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW....Leach's view from pitchside today is its better then last February but a lot of sand

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a followup from the Vanney presser - slow pitch due to the sand & can't water it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if it's as much sand as the 2016 season. I remember sand would be flying all over the place when someone would kick the ball

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope they trained on the beach in Cali so they could see what it is like to play on BMO's pitch as part of their "preparation"...

Preparation being in quotes because that was an assumption we made but was no evidence last game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the hybrid wouldn't help with the current situation. It will just prevent the pitch from getting torn up during a game. Hope it's not too late by April.

Why the hell did they put down lots of sand again? Too sandy was the biggest complaint in recent years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can see the sand spraying in this video:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was embarrassing - if that's the same quality against NER in a few weeks, somebody should be fired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That was embarrassing - if that's the same quality against NER in a few weeks, somebody should be fired.
    But really, what can they do? You can't get water from a stone and you can't grow grass in Toronto in February.

Crashing out of the CCL will actually be better for the pitch as they try to keep it serviceable until spring and the hybridization.

But there's no point complaining about how the pitch was. The problem is the stupid scheduling of the CCL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We always play games in March. It's their job to figure this out. The go to thing for this grounds crew is sand. Hopefully with hybrid, this stops. But we aren't getting hybrid until May. In the meantime, we simply can't be playing on that much sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We always play games in March. It's their job to figure this out. The go to thing for this grounds crew is sand. Hopefully with hybrid, this stops. But we aren't getting hybrid until May. In the meantime, we simply can't be playing on that much sand.
    Well it's either that or a frozen pitch.

Which is better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sand looked like a water logged pitch. Thank God there wasn't any injuries.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    Especially when Mavinga pulled that all World move, he was kicking up stuff all over.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

outside of kicking out the argos there isn't much they can do. They have two weeks to do what they can but really the pitch since the Argos have moved in has been sub par and kinda disgraceful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    outside of kicking out the argos there isn't much they can do. They have two weeks to do what they can but really the pitch since the Argos have moved in has been sub par and kinda disgraceful
    The state of the pitch right now has nothing to do with the Argos. It has everything to do with the fact it's Feb. in Toronto.

When the pitch looked like crap last year in Sep/Oct ... THAT was the Argos.

And now they're going to try to solve the problem once and for all with the hybrid, which will happen in either Apr. or May.

So by Mar. 17th (still winter), it will still be kinda crap, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

The real statement should be – if the pitch is still crap in July/Aug, after it's been made hybrid, THEN someone should be fired, or the Argos kicked out, or whatever.

But for now, it's simply winter in Canada and you can't bloody grow grass, and people need to stop blaming the grounds crew because there's literally not much else they can do.

EDIT:

Here's what the grounds crew had to say:

Last edited by James17930; 02-27-2019 at 04:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    The state of the pitch right now has nothing to do with the Argos. It has everything to do with the fact it's Feb. in Toronto.

When the pitch looked like crap last year in Sep/Oct ... THAT was the Argos.

And now they're going to try to solve the problem once and for all with the hybrid, which will happen in either Apr. or May.

So by Mar. 17th (still winter), it will still be kinda crap, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

The real statement should be – if the pitch is still crap in July/Aug, after it's been made hybrid, THEN someone should be fired, or the Argos kicked out, or whatever.

But for now, it's simply winter in Canada and you can't bloody grow grass, and people need to stop blaming the grounds crew because there's literally not much else they can do.

EDIT:

Here's what the grounds crew had to say:

I agree James, that is what we can expect at the end of February in Canada

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said before we should have one of those modular artificial turf systems for the Argos to save the pitch. With this earlier and earlier schedule I think they should get it for TFC as well for February and March matches. There's really no other solution.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone remind me what we gained by not playing at Skydome? Attendance appeared to be significantly impacted. The extremely slow ball didn't seem to help.

I don't think this helped the pitch - though at least it wasn't tearing up in chunks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could be wrong with these, but as far as I know:

- A modular system would have to be incorporated into the original design of the stadium. It would be almost impossible (or too expensive) to add it later; and

- After the renovations at Skydome it can no longer be configured for soccer/football. So it really wasn't an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was I the only one who cringed when Mavinga did a slide tackle and looked like his knee took out a foot of grass? Could have blown out his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no dome option, so Toronto have to have the ability to move games in February on 3-4 days notice to a neutral, warmer site. No other option.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A modular system would have to be incorporated into the original design of the stadium. It would be almost impossible (or too expensive) to add it later.
    From the videos I saw with it, it usually comes from one of the goal ends. The south end is pretty much a big fancier temporary stand and the north end is nothing really so both could be adjusted. Not sure about cost on that though and with TFC only playing a handful of matches on it, the Argos don't make a compelling case for spending a lot of money to better their product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    From the videos I saw with it, it usually comes from one of the goal ends. The south end is pretty much a big fancier temporary stand and the north end is nothing really so both could be adjusted. Not sure about cost on that though and with TFC only playing a handful of matches on it, the Argos don't make a compelling case for spending a lot of money to better their product.
    Also, it also needs somewhere to slide out to, which is probably not possible around BMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, it also needs somewhere to slide out to, which is probably not possible around BMO.
    http://greatsportsinfra.com/turf-protection-tiles/

This system doesn't roll out so you have to manually put it down but if true, it works. No idea the cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#CanadianPitch