Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/s...e=sectionfront Apparently too much soccer destroys the pitch for nfl games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the deal with the grounds crew locking their twitter account?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Whats the deal with the grounds crew locking their twitter account?
    I don't condone rude comments, however, I think they got a little sensitive to some legitimate criticism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't condone rude comments, however, I think they got a little sensitive to some legitimate criticism.
    they tend to get included in TFC/Argo spats as well and we know those silly threads go back and forth a bunch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the NFL got pulled from Mexico city due to a poor field, that's hybrid that was installed in May.
    Which is a joke considering how poor some NFL fields are. I think it was more a case of not wanting a huge game like that played abroad.
    But it hasn't made me feel better about our new field, with play beginning in March.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just found this and thought you guys would like to see how Tottenham Hotspur is dealing with NFL play in their new stadium - a retractable grass field with artificial turf underneath:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham_Hotspur_Stadium

Not that I see this happening at BMO any time soon...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I just found this and thought you guys would like to see how Tottenham Hotspur is dealing with NFL play in their new stadium - a retractable grass field with artificial turf underneath:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham_Hotspur_Stadium

Not that I see this happening at BMO any time soon...
    I have been following the progress on this part of the new Spurs stadium and it is amazing as the NFL turf is the permanent install, with the grass turf being the part that is removable in 3 parts.
    Apparently Tottenham tested the tech for the retractable grass at their training ground for almost 2 years before committing to it in the new stadium.

It is an interesting idea that with 2026 coming, may be in the realm of possibility (if it actually happens is another story)
    Last edited by Cas87; 12-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who think that the hybrid grass will be a solution watch the highlights of today’s Spurs - Burnlet game and contrast the (poor) condition of the Wembley Hybrid pitch with the lush condition of the Fulham pitch in the Fulham - Hammers Match. Fulham has not hosted NFL games and Craven Cottage is properly cared for as a result.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, Spurs wasn't supposed to be around anymore so that pitch was supposed to get more rest during the usually soaking with rain months of November & December.

Meanwhile Liberty stadium in Cardiff seems to be doing OK with both rugby and football played every week on that pitch in the rain.

There's just way too many variables to say one way will always not work and one always will.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So......how it that pitch looking on a day like today? Under it's warm little blankie I guess. Going to be ready on the 26th? Getting the pitch ready for a February CCL game will never be easy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there was this tweet yesterday ...

https://twitter.com/TFC_Memes/status...47824883503104

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why bother even trying. Find an alternative venue. Player safety critical. Imagine injuries as a result of a piss poor field. I will be there but how many others will?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    Why bother even trying. Find an alternative venue. Player safety critical. Imagine injuries as a result of a piss poor field. I will be there but how many others will?
    Do you not remember Colorado's pitch last year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    We got lucky last year, with the high on February 27 at 13°C and still 8°C at 9 pm!

Personally, it was nice to see Mexico's finest seeing snow for the first time in our lives. But we shouldn't need the weather advantage against a Panamanian side. Perhaps I'm getting soft, but I'd prefer to be in Skydome for this - sad that everyone seems too cheap to get the new plastic turf that's needed for that.

Early forecast is below freezing, with 5-10 cm of snow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sky dome is horrid . Why make easier for the opposition. There will not be a large crowd wherever the game is played . If the team (again) is slow with its field renewal , then so be it . The mgmt is at fault period .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The infield is now permanent as well. It’ll be Yankees Stadium size minus the grass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    The infield is now permanent as well. It’ll be Yankees Stadium size minus the grass.
    No it's not. It can't be turned around overnight, but they were quite clear when they installed it, that it didn't preclude other events. The monster truck thing continues! And the seats can still move.

My understanding is the current issue is that the lack of artificial turf. So lack of $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Sky dome is horrid . Why make easier for the opposition. There will not be a large crowd wherever the game is played.
    Why destroy the brand new grass, before they've even had a chance to show in the artificial fibres?

I enjoyed the previous Champions League games at Skydome. The February game is in the season tickets package - no reason to think that it would be lower attended than the 23K that came out last February.

Personally I think that if we need snow to gain advantage over a Panamanian side, then we are doing something wrong to begin with! And I'd rather not be standing in a snow-storm for two hours.

I also know it's way too late to change the location now ... unless they end up playing with no one watching in a bubble somewhere on Wednesday afternoon ...
    Last edited by nfitz; 02-14-2019 at 10:27 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Well there was this tweet yesterday ...

https://twitter.com/TFC_Memes/status...47824883503104
    I'm surprised they don't bring those fancy north-end seats inside for the winter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it's not. It can't be turned around overnight, but they were quite clear when they installed it, that it didn't preclude other events. The monster truck thing continues! And the seats can still move.

My understanding is the current issue is that the lack of artificial turf. So lack of $$$.

Why destroy the brand new grass, before they've even had a chance to show in the artificial fibres?

I enjoyed the previous Champions League games at Skydome. The February game is in the season tickets package - no reason to think that it would be lower attended than the 23K that came out last February.

Personally I think that if we need snow to gain advantage over a Panamanian side, then we are doing something wrong to begin with! And I'd rather not be standing in a snow-storm for two hours.

I also know it's way too late to change the location now ... unless they end up playing with no one watching in a bubble somewhere on Wednesday afternoon ...
    Your ideas are appreciated, unfortunately for me I can’t sit in skydome for more than 45 mins without severe hip cramps ( the unfortunate original design to limit the leg space trying to squeeze more fans into a smaller area .) ..also I can’t stand needing binoculars to see the finer points of the game , (harshyes) , I love the intimacy of BMO field , and actually enjoy the outdoors , rain or shine . I do understand people who desire a bit more comfort though , np.., ruining the turf is not good , but where are they exactly with this .....I know they’re waiting for World Cup $$$$.....as MLSE is wain to .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sit? What is sit?

Well the big snow for Tuesday is no longer in the forecast. But the high on Tuesday is now forecast as minus 8! With an overnight low of minus 16! Which might be are only chance of getting through Panama at this point (though I said weeks ago that if we need extreme cold to get through this round, we have a big problem - we have a big problem!)

I'm almost to the "I hope they completely mess up the brand new pitch with this absurd plan, because it may teach them a lesson" point.

Hey, I love BMO too. But the damage to the pitch isn't worth it. And I don't think the occasional game elsewhere hurts most people. That Galaxy game was epic!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't think the occasional game elsewhere hurts most people. That Galaxy game was epic!
    Put the Pussplops in SkyDome. How's that for a compromise?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Put the Pussplops in SkyDome. How's that for a compromise?
    The damage to the pitch isn't worth it. Would nice to see an actual discussion, rather than simply insulting those that don't agree with you. On the bright side, normally that means that one has lost the discussion - having no other points.

Of course, it's all hypothetical at this point - way too late to prepare another location.,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s see how this spurs solution works. While light years away from happening here, we may one day have something that allows us all to coexist in a single stadium without any significant compromises.

Arizona has a fully removable pitch as well and unlike spurs it’s all one tray (no dividers). But the caveat with Arizona is you need space for a full field to sit outside nearby. Not the case in downtown Toronto.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The damage to the pitch isn't worth it. Would nice to see an actual discussion, rather than simply insulting those that don't agree with you. On the bright side, normally that means that one has lost the discussion - having no other points.

Of course, it's all hypothetical at this point - way too late to prepare another location.,
    I see no insults. I see (glib, anti- playoff) disagreements.

As for mucking up the turf, I thought they were laying new grass in the off season, then making a switch to hybrid mid season. Can someone reconfirm the plan?

As for laying temp turf at the dome, that comes with its own expense and possible shoddiness. One off grass events have been known to be torn up in squares. Do our players prefer that?

So the only sure bet is that the dome is warm for fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    I see no insults. I see (glib, anti- playoff) disagreements.

As for mucking up the turf, I thought they were laying new grass in the off season, then making a switch to hybrid mid season. Can someone reconfirm the plan?

As for laying temp turf at the dome, that comes with its own expense and possible shoddiness. One off grass events have been known to be torn up in squares. Do our players prefer that?

So the only sure bet is that the dome is warm for fans.
    Dec 10, 2016. -10 plus windchill. Nobody scores. Pitch at BMO a hard, rutted, painted, sand filled mess. Our best player couldn’t control the ball. We lose to an inferior team. That, is what I remember, instead of an easy victory at the Dome, and TFC holding two championships.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way too many variables to indicate us on turf against a turf playing team would have won that game or that the field was the reason why we lost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Way too many variables to indicate us on turf against a turf playing team would have won that game or that the field was the reason why we lost.
    Everybody who was free to complain, complained. The Grey Cup was more important to front office, who believed filling the frozen holes with green painted sand, would suffice. Imagine that being done at any European based stadiumfor a championship game. It, plus the wind and cold cost us a cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Everybody who was free to complain, complained. The Grey Cup was more important to front office, who believed filling the frozen holes with green painted sand, would suffice. Imagine that being done at any European based stadiumfor a championship game. It, plus the wind and cold cost us a cup.
    Well, they were obligated to play that Grey Cup one way or another. Although i do roundly recall them making excuses about slow ticket sales and pizza+ticket giveaway while we sold out in five minutes. Had to laugh a little at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That plus Seattle also sat back virtually the entire game. Reminder they had a total of 0 shots on target, only to win it in penalties.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well your complaints may be valid but Rogers was not an option. 2 weeks to lay down a pitch is not enough time.