Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1312
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There was a lot of talk in England about that situation, so I don't imagine it will be thought of as ok.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only true solution is going back to artificial.
    I'm sure we'd all agree that's totally unacceptable. But the argos arent going back to the dome, folding, or to lamport.
    We're stuck with a fieldshare, and have to hope the hybrid works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was the shortest amount of time between an Argos game and a match at BMO this season? I don't believe anything was shorter than 2 days. This game at Wembley is only 1 day after the NFL game. And this was the state of the Wembley pitch before the NFL game:

I don't know how much hybrid grass is going to help... probably not as much as we'd all like. But this is literally a worst-case scenario to be comparing against. Even this season I don't think BMO looked this bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    I don't know where you got march from, the article says:

" And in April, the field will be strengthened by artificial fibres that will hold the surface together, protect the grass and reduce recovery time between events."

But the field will chewed up though by the end of April with about 3 CCL games and 3 MLS games played at BMO.
    Yes however I think that is just sloppy reporting. It says the stitching will happen during an international break. The March one is the closest one. There is nothing in April and the next one after that won't be until June.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've also been told hybrid will look bad but play well. That would be my question about the Wembley pitch - how bad was play affected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That's pathetic.

If it's ok for the #1 league in the world then don't expect change here.
    It isn't ok. People are outraged. And the players were damning in their comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    What was the shortest amount of time between an Argos game and a match at BMO this season? I don't believe anything was shorter than 2 days. This game at Wembley is only 1 day after the NFL game. And this was the state of the Wembley pitch before the NFL game:

I don't know how much hybrid grass is going to help... probably not as much as we'd all like. But this is literally a worst-case scenario to be comparing against. Even this season I don't think BMO looked this bad.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...rican-football

That is hybrid grass. CFL and NFL football destroy grass fields - the leagues know this and have moved generally to Turf. we were lucky with weather and schedule last year but this year not so much. And the hybrid surface won't solve the problem. Wembley is Hyvbrud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wolf-packs are arguably a more relevant team than the Argos, will eventually pull more viewers, money, and so why the F cant the Argo's just share with them at Lamport.

Tired of this ground share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post

That is hybrid grass. CFL and NFL football destroy grass fields - the leagues know this and have moved generally to Turf. we were lucky with weather and schedule last year but this year not so much. And the hybrid surface won't solve the problem. Wembley is Hyvbrud
    I know it's hybrid. I'm saying pointing to the quality of that Wembley pitch today is not a good depiction of what we could expect next year because we've never had a turnaround that quick after a CFL game.

I don't expect the hybrid pitch to solve all the problems. This is a bad example though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wolf-packs are arguably a more relevant team than the Argos, will eventually pull more viewers, money, and so why the F cant the Argo's just share with them at Lamport.

Tired of this ground share.
    Wolfpack will never be close to the Argos in TV audience. In actual attendance they are comparable. Perhaps when the Argos have played 5 years at BMO and their attendance has not improved, MLSE will take an alternative approach to the Argos at BMO. But at the moment they must be on a 5-year plan at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning specifically addressed the pitch in his end-of-year presser today. Admits they messed up:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's hybrid. I'm saying pointing to the quality of that Wembley pitch today is not a good depiction of what we could expect next year because we've never had a turnaround that quick after a CFL game.

I don't expect the hybrid pitch to solve all the problems. This is a bad example though.
    Totally agree.
    We never have (and according to Manning) never will have a 24 hour window from MLS to CFL.
    Also, the Wembley is notorious for being crap in the first place, let alone when there are multiple events in a few weeks span.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Wolfpack will never be close to the Argos in TV audience. In actual attendance they are comparable. Perhaps when the Argos have played 5 years at BMO and their attendance has not improved, MLSE will take an alternative approach to the Argos at BMO. But at the moment they must be on a 5-year plan at least.
    .... and beyond that, Lamport's field is simply too short so somebody would be looking at having to float millions in renovations to lengthen the field south into the parking lot, enlarge the stands and to add the amenities that would make it an acceptable facility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning specifically addressed the pitch in his end-of-year presser today. Admits they messed up:

Pitch discussion is at 36:30.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/1...ctober-30-2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    .... and beyond that, Lamport's field is simply too short so somebody would be looking at having to float millions in renovations to lengthen the field south into the parking lot, enlarge the stands and to add the amenities that would make it an acceptable facility.
    Build a condo / mixed-use commercial building on the rest of the parking lot, with more underground parking than exists now, and you can help to pay for a good part of that, bada bing, bada boom. MLSE can help to develop this, they have experience with things like that, from Maple Leafs Square.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When MLSE say they were going to lay down the new pitch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    i was changing channels yesterday and on one channel was an nfl game with the cleveland browns as the home team.
    down the middle of the field the field was pretty destroyed and it only week 3!!

pointy football destroys the field, there is one team in mls that also shares the field with a pointy football team( houston dymano)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpwnWqTGG8U look at the field
    There are lots more ... You’re forgetting Dallas, LA, Chicago etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post

Saying Wembley is hybrid does not mean all or most hybrid surfaces will end up like this. The flip side is to list all the hybrid pitches that are great and say BMO Field will be like that. Wembley was forced into a bad spot because of Spurs construction delays and they couldn’t cancel 11 other events they had already planned. No surface in the world was going to look good.

TFC playoff matches in 2017 were played on a fantastic pitch. The Argos did not step on BMO Field until June 23rd, 2018. Not to practice or even play preseason games. The condition of our pitch was due to decisions we made and matches we played and weather. It had nothing to do with the Argos. It was us. Not sure why we would blame the football team for decisions the soccer club made in Dec 17 and Jan through May 2018. We should be better.
    Last edited by Gazza_55; 10-31-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Grammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC matches were *not* played on a fantastic pitch in 2017.

Hell, it wasn't fantastic in 2016 either.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2016/12...nco-toronto-fc
    Last edited by paul-collins; 10-31-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further:

Without a doubt this year is down to some bad decisions going back to immediately post-Cup

• MLSE assumed they could grow it back into shape over the winter in time for the CCL which proved to be wrong - should have replaced it right away
    • groundskeepers didn't have enough time to bed in the new pitch that didn't go down until late May, so Argos were on only 4 weeks after the new sod - the new sod was too late for sure
    • MLSE chose to overuse the facility by adding in the TFC2 games

But the Argos add nothing to the stability of the field and anyone who is trying to minimize their impact is being untruthful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry but anybody who says the 2017 field was bad wasn't there. Pitch was fine until November.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm sorry but anybody who says the 2017 field was bad wasn't there. Pitch was fine until November.
    Sorry, respectively disagree.
    We were there and the pitch was poor throughout the playing season.
    Divots and bare spots very noticeable . . . .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doesn't jive with what is in this very thread. Admittedly the people talking last November are not the ones talking now.

But...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players didn’t have problem with it last year. 2016 they did though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMolly View Post
    Sorry, respectively disagree.
    We were there and the pitch was poor throughout the playing season.
    Divots and bare spots very noticeable . . . .
    I walked on the pitch, briefly, before the 2016 final, and took a photo of the green paint applied over sand in the corner near gate 1. When I tweeted this the mlse grounds official blocked me. That pitch was a joke from September to Dec.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad the players are putting pressure on the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad the players are putting pressure on the club.
    As am I. This ground share arrangement is crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I wouldn't say it was fine, but it wasn't the cow patch of 2016 or 2018.

We also had the summer of all summers for grass. That will likely never happen again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are still complaining about Wembley - apparently the PSV manager said it was "shit":

“It’s s***, so. You know what I mean, it’s bad. In Holland we say s*** a little bit quicker than in English. It’s not good, but we are not complaining,” he lamented.
    “Before we were training on it, and I told the guys after one minute you have to stop and get on with training, get used to the pitch.
    “Of course, everyone wants the good pitch, but it is not so good, and you have to deal with it.”
    Spurs defender Toby Alderweireld admitted that the pitch had an impact on the game, saying that it was not conducive to playing good football.
    “I don’t want to make a big issue, but it’s not good enough to play good football. I think today with the circumstances, we did well,” he explained.