Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    A Canadian football field fits at Lamport - just get rid of the parking lot at the south side of the stadium. Extend each stand the remaining 35 yards or so down the new field - that in itself would expand capacity by a few thousand, and perhaps provide an opportunity for new CFL changerooms to be built. Then add private boxes and a second deck on top of each existing stand, and you've got a 20,000-seat stadium.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/809020...posted-public/

The expanded stadium is feasible; it's just a question of political will, the right funding formula, and whether the residents of Liberty Village will put up with this as you say.
    Does it really need to be downtown for the Argos, put it at Downsview , Centennial or somewhere on the east end. Its needs cheap parking & real tailgating

TFC2 can play out of a highschool (or one of the University Campuses), all games should be day or early evening games filled with students, academy's and camps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Does it really need to be downtown for the Argos, put it at Downsview , Centennial or somewhere on the east end. Its needs cheap parking & real tailgating

TFC2 can play out of a highschool (or one of the University Campuses), all games should be day or early evening games filled with students, academy's and camps.
    It works at Lamport - I'm just saying it could be done if there was enough of a push. The Argos could play up at Downsview or any number of other locations, though, as long as the football demographic has easy enough access to the stadium. I would skip Centennial altogether, based on my experience there - the stadium and location are not even second-rate.

Real tailgating would be nice, but on this side of the border it's not likely going to happen. Perhaps our premier will make that a top priority, along with selling buck-a-beer at games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It works at Lamport - I'm just saying it could be done if there was enough of a push. The Argos could play up at Downsview or any number of other locations, though, as long as the football demographic has easy enough access to the stadium. I would skip Centennial altogether, based on my experience there - the stadium and location are not even second-rate.

Real tailgating would be nice, but on this side of the border it's not likely going to happen. Perhaps our premier will make that a top priority, along with selling buck-a-beer at games.
    centennial area will have the LRT and Mississauga BRT run by it. it would need serious renos though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if there is a buk a beer at games, I would most definitely go watch a CFL game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a fair hike from the nearest MiWay Transitway stops - neither Renforth nor Orbiter are particularly close. Same for an extended Eglinton line for that matter. Etobicoke Centennial Park covers a fairly large plot of land, and the existing stadium is in the south-east corner near Renforth - good for 427 access, but not so much by transit.

The stadium itself would need a complete overhaul - it's old and small. I think the main grandstand only sat 3k, but it looked its age when I was last there in 1999.

York U is definitely a better avenue for the Argos in my opinion. Mississauga would be a decent option, too - just need a slightly better location.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still like Lamport or the Argos. You want to keep a Toronto team in Toronto. More people will go to the games because it is convenient, I can't see a long walk being that much of a drive for people to attend games. I think that would also take Downsview out of the picture, although I am not that familiar with the park and transit.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

York U has a ton of parking, decent access from the 407 and 400, and it’s right beside the Pioneer Village Subway station and Steeles bus terminal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

York U stadium would need significant upgrades to accommodate the Argos. There is ample space to add additional grandstands but the main grandstand is small (3700 capacity).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are mad crazy. MLSE has invested quite a bit into the insides of BMO for the Argos. I can tell you because I know.

Whether you like it or not (I don't) repeat after me.

THE. ARGOS. ARE. NOT. MOVING. OUT.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is why the discussion of the pitch should be about....what is & what needs to be done.

The staff are using sand a heck of a lot earlier then the last 2 years.

And, to be blunt, the new pitch brought in has been less then ideal. The NYRB game, weeks after the installation, players were ripping up chunks.

Maybe its time to put a little bit more heat on the guys who have been resting on their laurels a bit & not done a good enough job this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laugh at MLSE. They spend a million dollars to put in new grass and the argos ruin it in a few weeks.

if i was an mlse shareholder i would not be too happy about this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The grass was crap back when it first came in back in late May - we were seeing problems in the DCU game. The Argos are not the issue as it wasn't a problem last year.

The vaunted grounds crew is like the team - never recovered from the efforts of the CCL.

I saw a report they are going to go with Hybrid next year which holds the grass better but makes growing it difficult. i.e. Its a better playable surface but looks not so good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The grass was crap back when it first came in back in late May - we were seeing problems in the DCU game. The Argos are not the issue as it wasn't a problem last year.

The vaunted grounds crew is like the team - never recovered from the efforts of the CCL.

I saw a report they are going to go with Hybrid next year which holds the grass better but makes growing it difficult. i.e. Its a better playable surface but looks not so good.
    I read another problem with hybrid is that you can't replace sections, because the threads run crisscross through it. Then again, I've rarely seen them replace grass sections at BMO in the last couple of years. Perhaps the damage is too random & spread-out to make replacing sections worthwhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in every play in pointyball you have 5 300lb offensive lineman digging their cleets in the ground trying to stop 5 300lb defensive lineman trying to move forward.

this puts tremendous strain on the grass every play

its an easy question to answer: jsut look at the field before the argos came, did it deteriorate like this?
    i cant answer that question as i have not been a fan that far back but others here can answer the question

also, just look at the field after the argos have played on a rainy day, that will also give you your answer
    Last edited by stevep; 08-29-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    You guys are mad crazy. MLSE has invested quite a bit into the insides of BMO for the Argos. I can tell you because I know.

Whether you like it or not (I don't) repeat after me.

THE. ARGOS. ARE. NOT. MOVING. OUT.
    I really don’t think this is a huge obstacle if (and it’s a big if) TFC continue to show growth in interest and fans make it clear that’s what they demand.

Corporate types burning money and going back on prior plans isn’t anything new. What are we up to in salary now? 26 million a year or so? You’re not going to get the most out of this team on a second rate surface.

I am still pissed at that POS field for the first MLS cup. It completely played to the favour of the visitors and slowed down our passing game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if this has been covered, but isn’t it likely that the Wolfpack will also play at BMO next year if they make it into the top flight in Rugby League?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The city & MLSE want to use the Wolfpack to make upgrades to Lamport, within the footprint of Lamport as it currently is. So, although there is no way in hades that the local pols are going to let Lamport expand, MLSE is hoping to make some money by operating a more up to date facility. The city would be happy to let somebody else keep that facility going and garnering revenue. MLSE is just happy to have another revenue stream that doesn't interfere with its others much.

Bringing the Wolfpack to BMO, even if they bought into them, just doesn't make as much ROI sense as letting somebody else deal with the Rugby League politics (think about 10 Bob Krafts, except with 1/4 of the money he has and they all come from the region stretching from Boston to New York) & the international headaches of that team. Heck, I don't see a good ROI on the Wolfpack ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to start a project where I was going to redevelop/refurbish Lamport stadium for a Toronto CPL team. So I took all these pictures the morning of a Wolf Pack game - that can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...EN3d3RKUVBnMEk (the project never finished lol).

The reality is that there is more than enough space to house both the Wolfpack and the Argos, and like someone said above to build the main deck above. I think MLSE and the Wolfpack would have to fully fund the bill for the expansion/and renovations of Lamport Stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I really don’t think this is a huge obstacle if (and it’s a big if) TFC continue to show growth in interest and fans make it clear that’s what they demand.

Corporate types burning money and going back on prior plans isn’t anything new. What are we up to in salary now? 26 million a year or so? You’re not going to get the most out of this team on a second rate surface.

I am still pissed at that POS field for the first MLS cup. It completely played to the favour of the visitors and slowed down our passing game.
    No, no no and no. You just aren't getting this.

The Argos are integrated into the company, this isn't a short term toy for MLSE. They are another professional franchise and will be treated as such. They fully intend to turn the city around on the team and sell that place out as well as they sell out for TFC.

The TV deal for the CFL kicks the shit out of anything MLS gets them, there's lots to be had here if they can fill the seats - which is something MLSE is capable of pulling off in due time. Not to mention the league loves hosting Grey Cups in Toronto (which there are 2 more coming in the next few years)

You think some quips about grass is going to deter this plan? You're just plain wrong. I realize the salaries for TFC are higher, but guess what? TFC is still losing money each year. The value is up, they are still investing and growing the brand, but it's still in the RED. The salary gap means nothing.

You think the CFL is going to permit the Argos playing in an ancient decrepit tiny amateur stadium in Lamport? You think MLSE bought them for that purpose? You think the investments into the team they've already made are just going to be thrown away a year or two later? LOL.

Do you really think the only thing happened is the team just "plays at BMO?" There's been plenty more invested than this.

Just stop this. Bell owns the Argos. Bell owns TSN. The CFL is a huge piece of what TSN offers as a channel.

I loathe the Argos more than any of you, that I can assure you. I've been pissing on their logo since I could stand on my own two feet. But I'm not going to let my bias cloud my ability to see the truth of the situation.

That BMO Field is the Argos permanent home.

I can't stand it, but a bunch of fans yelling about grass isn't going to change the reality of the situation. MLSE can't turn the fortunes of this investment around in that dump called Lamport, that's ridiculous.

My belief is the only real scenario is that it's TFC is the one who leaves. They become a massive brand in 15-20 years. They get a park that isn't obviously designed for a football team (like fuck, BMO looks like a football stadium if you really pay attention) and we go from there.

Perhaps that's when this:

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered, but isn’t it likely that the Wolfpack will also play at BMO next year if they make it into the top flight in Rugby League?

..happens. But there's no plan in place for that. Lamport just got a new surface for them, they are there for the time being and the league Commish came recently and rated it highly. Rugby League plays a set schedule on weekends, it would clash with an already congested Saturday schedule at BMO. There's no space for them, unless TFC leaves.
    Last edited by ryan; 08-30-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan, I don't think anyone is under the impression that the fans' opinions on the grass matter for shit.

I do, however, feel that if/when the condition of the grass becomes a deterrent to drawing players, something will be done.

In the world of only 3 DPs and a few TAM acquisitions, it's not yet an issue - but in 5 years as MLS increases their salary structure and MLSE looks to grow their roster to stay competitive, it will be.

In the meantime, I guess we have to suck it up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless, there has to be a better approach to divots then just shoveling in a lot of sand.

These guys are supposed to be dealing with world experts on grass, & we get this as the solution?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan, I think you have stars in your eyes here explaining the Argos importance to MLSE. The important things in the purchase were primarily: 1) maintaining control over all meaningful professional sports franchises in Toronto to blunt competition from outside ownership groups. 2) finding justification to expand BMO to create better economic conditions for hockey winter classics in the city.

Everything else is just window dressing or stuff that matters to one half the ownership group but not the other. Bell certainly cares about maintaining a CFL team in Canada’s largest market. Rogers does not. And nowhere am I suggesting the solution is fire them into a crap stick like Lamport (at least not without major renovations).

You make it sound like they are poised to make a comeback. They are more of a loss leader than we are, with no accompanying increase in franchise value. They bought it, doesn’t mean they love it or are going to invest in it.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-30-2018 at 02:24 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Regardless, there has to be a better approach to divots then just shoveling in a lot of sand.

These guys are supposed to be dealing with world experts on grass, & we get this as the solution?!?!
    Haha no kidding. All that talk about visiting the EPL stadiums to get info on how to have the best pitches and all that. I doubt the secret provided by people running those stadiums was buckets of sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is MLSE the 100th ownership group to own the argos?? haha
    but have faith MLSE will turn around the argos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it even the same crew? Or have they also been impacted by the lockout?

Could explain the sand lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they roll out the hybrid surface sooner rather than later. At least it will give them some consistency in trying to control the quality of the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Ryan, I think you have stars in your eyes here explaining the Argos importance to MLSE. The important things in the purchase were primarily: 1) maintaining control over all meaningful professional sports franchises in Toronto to blunt competition from outside ownership groups. 2) finding justification to expand BMO to create better economic conditions for hockey winter classics in the city.

Everything else is just window dressing or stuff that matters to one half the ownership group but not the other. Bell certainly cares about maintaining a CFL team in Canada’s largest market. Rogers does not. And nowhere am I suggesting the solution is fire them into a crap stick like Lamport (at least not without major renovations).

You make it sound like they are poised to make a comeback. They are more of a loss leader than we are, with no accompanying increase in franchise value. They bought it, doesn’t mean they love it or are going to invest in it.
    I have never understood what Rogers got or gets from going along with Bell on the Argos piece. Something tells me that is an interesting ball of yarn to pull at. It’s probably soul destroying.

We ground share to allow Rogers to offload five NHL games they don’t want to TSN, or some such.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-31-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The Wolfpack owner has said they don’t want to leave Lamport. They want to stay and hopefully help develop it. I think they would be crazy to leave as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reality is, one franchise is worth 250M+ and growing in value each year and the other is worth almost zero. If I'm a businessman, I know which team I would prioritize.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pitch thread.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER