0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Interesting read. Hopefully the new hybrid turf will solve the issues associated with deep playoff runs and early season champions league games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Interesting read. Hopefully the new hybrid turf will solve the issues associated with deep playoff runs and early season champions league games.
    Hoping we will have those problems in the next few years.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know “the tunnel” has its own thread somewhere but thought it might be easier to put this here. Finally.

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2018/06/0...ing-to-the-ex/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting how they put that out just 2 days before an election that might affect this (the PCPO has talked about auditing all spending - mind you that party thinks an audit of the province would only cost $1 million so )

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the north endzone have to be artificial turf?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duelfuel View Post
    Does the north endzone have to be artificial turf?
    I imagine it has to be in order to place the Club Seats and beer garden on top of it for TFC matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ted Wyman’s a writer for the Toronto Sun who writes about the CFL , in an article in the sports section on page S18 of today Monday July 23rd. he writes that the playing surface at BMO for the Argos is bush league. He says the CFL needs to step in and make sure it gets fixed. He says the grass is not long enough to accomodate a CFL game. He is complaining about the north end zone being entirely artificial surface, and he says it’s not safe , players are wearing cleats for the grass surface but then once in the north end zone they encounter that area of artificial grass and players are slipping. He said that it looks bad on the CFL to have such a poor setup with that area of artificial turf in the north end zone , interesting .
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 07-23-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Ted Wyman’s a writer for the Toronto Sun who writes about the CFL , in an article in the sports section on page S18 of today Monday July 23rd. he writes that the playing surface at BMO for the Argos is bush league. He says the CFL needs to step in and make sure it gets fixed. He says the grass is not long enough to accomodate a CFL game. He is complaining about the north end zone being entirely artificial surface, and he says it’s not safe , players are wearing cleats for the grass surface but then once in the north end zone they encounter that area of artificial grass and players are slipping. He said that it looks bad on the CFL to have such a poor setup with that area of artificial turf in the north end zone , interesting .
    He's right.

They really ought to find themselves a proper home, instead of sleeping on TFC's couch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish the Argos well (I really do), but they're not in a position to make demands. They are the secondary tenant in their home stadium, and they still draw flies to games. When they can generate serious revenue, then they can get more things their way at BMO Field; until then, they really ought to explore venue options elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It never ceases to amaze the two completely divergent narratives surrounding BMO field's playing surface between it's two tenants. It's like its not even the same stadium..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the grounds crew were already keeping the grass long (as much as possible anyway) for Argos games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i may be wrong but didnt they cut the length of the pitch by 6 to 12 yards in order fit those stupid turf end zones?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winnipeg CFL reporter can't understand why Toronto doesn't like the CFL....meh.

The game on July 1st saw a number of players slide on huge divots in the turf, including two great opportunities to score. Here's hoping we don't see that anymore because the pitch looked not good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    I wish the Argos well (I really do), but they're not in a position to make demands. They are the secondary tenant in their home stadium, and they still draw flies to games. When they can generate serious revenue, then they can get more things their way at BMO Field; until then, they really ought to explore venue options elsewhere.

At Saturday's Argo game at BMO Field the announced attendance was 10,844. They are for the most part irrelevant. The CFL is dead in Toronto and its never coming back. The sooner the Argo's are out of BMO Field the better.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 07-23-2018 at 05:04 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderator note: A reminder that this thread is to discuss the pitch only, not Argos attendance.

Discuss the Argos in the "all sports" section of the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Without going a whole lot office topic all I'm going to say is they are free to find another home if they don't like it.

I would like to thank the grounds crew for keeping everything in the best shape possible.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-23-2018 at 05:43 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Ted Wyman, the Argos, and any CFL person complaining about the surface at BMO Field. This song's for you:

TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, after last nights flooding, there is a pointy ball game tonight. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    To Ted Wyman, the Argos, and any CFL person complaining about the surface at BMO Field. This song's for you:

Hey fellas, TFC and Argo fan here. Just to be clear: none of the Argonauts players or coaches are complaining about the grass. They love playing on the grass. None of the Argonauts players or coaches are even complaining about the turf in the north endzone (yet, at least). In fact, it can be argued that the turf endzone actually HELPED the Argos in a couple games because the opposing teams are unprepared for it and tend to slip on it.

Wyman writes for the Winnipeg Sun, so who cares what he thinks.

In fact, the only person from the Argonauts organization I've ever heard complain about the turf endzone is...…… Bill Manning. If you can find a quote or a soundbite of anyone else with the Argos raising the issue, I'll happily admit to being wrong.

I think it's safe to say the cohabitation is working well. Tip o' the hat to the magical grounds crew. Based on this season and last season, the on-field fortunes of the Argonauts and TFC appear intertwined, so let's wish everyone the best. Hooray for buddies...… yayyyy…..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slight mood killer...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Slight mood killer...
    TFC2 is not on the BMO pitch for the rest of their season. They are playing their final four home games at Lamport.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    TFC2 is not on the BMO pitch for the rest of their season. They are playing their final four home games at Lamport.
    There is obviously an issue with the field. You could feel Seba's frustration. Time for Argo's to go to Lamport for the rest of the season too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos just got 18K out to a game - they are going nowhere.

The issue is how the grounds staff are using sand to cover divots. Not only is it tough on the legs, but the ball was bouncing weird again last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Argos just got 18K out to a game - they are going nowhere.

The issue is how the grounds staff are using sand to cover divots. Not only is it tough on the legs, but the ball was bouncing weird again last night.
    Probably not, but that has little to do with the 18k in attendance for one game. The CFL needs a media presence in this market and they will suck up losses to make it happen.

I've never liked this arrangement and clearly the players aren't fans of it either. A lot of judgement is being passed based on the visual appearance from a distance when it is clearly worse than it looks. There's only so much that can be done given the amount of usage this field is getting and the fact football is very hard on certain areas of the pitch.

We should be talking about the growth of the game supporting a soccer-only stadium, not this continued cluster-f of a ground share arrangement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i Just saw this interview rant and wow, he’s pretty pissed about it. I forgot who owns BMO again? Isn’t it a city owned field? Or is it a MLSE property?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whositwhatnow View Post
    i Just saw this interview rant and wow, he’s pretty pissed about it. I forgot who owns BMO again? Isn’t it a city owned field? Or is it a MLSE property?
    City owned, MLSE administered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was sitting in 225 last night and you could see some areas that were clearly worn down on the field. There were quite a few weird bounces that my friend and I were commenting on throughout the night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrid grass can't come soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Hybrid grass can't come soon enough.
    Grass is grass and when you get 10+ 300llb football players on it it’s gonna get chewed up.