Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    I don't know who these people are or what they said. Grass guys or not grass guys, or whatever.

I also don't understand these so called back up pitches that may or may not exist.

What I do know is that the BMO pitch is essentially grass on sand. I know that during the summer the big issue is to keep it moist because it does not retain water that well and became very firm at times.

I know that now they have the opposite problem do to moisture in the air being next to the lake, when the sun goes down that field is slippery. Also, it damages much easier and repairs become harder to make. So hard in fact that they have begun using hydroseeding to cover up patches and divots.

I also know the Argos tore the shit out of that field the other night and the past few games. I imagine tfc does too, but to a lesser extent. I know that the Argos have never played in the rain yet at BMO and the grounds crew is counting their blessings for that. A rain game in November would be a huge disaster for the pitch.

I don't know the mechanics of a new turf or what goes into it. Is it like laying sod that will need to take to the roots? I have no idea how that will work. It's getting down to single digits at night and fall weather during the day. It is not easy to maintain anything that grows outdoors this time of year.
    Back when it was first announced that the Argos are coming in, there was a bunch of info about all the plans, incl. the backup pitch being grown. It's mentioned in the following article for example, backup fields being grown in Mount Hope, ON. I think they can even use tarps etc. to grow the sod in bad/cold weather. Sod would be cut extra thick & heavy so it would lie better after installing at BMO.

There were other articles with more info at the time, but here's one: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/0...itch-bmo-field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get out the grow lights!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Get out the grow lights!

I drive by often. They've been out for weeks now. That grounds crew deserves all the free beers in the pub. (and whoever approved their budget)

great feeling to see that stadium aglow at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rollerblade Pitch Report

So I biked down to BMO Field at halftime of the game today, and long story short scored a seat two rows above the players tunnel (123, row 8, seat 21 I believe).

The wind was howling from the north, it was pretty frigid. Because of that, it created "tundra style" field conditions.

As a result, there wasn't really too many chunks or clumps of grass coming up, if at all.

Yes did the field look rough around the edges? For sure. But overall not that bad, and we have the best grounds crew in MLS.

I have full confidence in the pitch looking perfect 9 days from now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how much were the seats

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the report!!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I was offered a free ticket today and took it, essentially cheering for the field.
    A big chunk came out during the first TD celebration but otherwise it didn't seem too bad.
    That said, the artificial end zones look horrible compared to the grass. I'm glad we aren't playing on plastic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field looked pretty good from up in 220. As mentioned, it was below zero (snowed a bit in the second half) so not a lot of damage done. I'd be more worried about the paint, there were a lot of logos on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Field looked pretty good from up in 220. As mentioned, it was below zero (snowed a bit in the second half) so not a lot of damage done. I'd be more worried about the paint, there were a lot of logos on the field.
    the CFL has to make money somehow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
    the CFL has to make money somehow
    Understandable, just my biggest pitch concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understandable, just my biggest pitch concern.
    Agreed. Grounds crew is adamant they won't be there - I'm sure they'll pull through for the real tenants of BMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, they had a tarp over the field on Saturday to protect from the rain.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why worry about logos,ground crew proved last year they can handle this.

Last year they had 3 days between Gray Cup and TFC-Montreal game and there was no signs of CFL logos,now they have 9 days.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I don't think we have to worry anymore since the Argos have played their last game of the season and the grass has time to recover. They showed after the Grey Cup that the logos should come off the field no problem. They tarped down the sidelines to make sure the grass underneath was protected. I'm not sure what else they can do save banning the Argos from playing at BMO, which is a non-starter and the real reason TFC fans worry about the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was at the game in 109 yesterday. Apart from a few divots, the pitch looked good. I really do trust that our guys will have it in excellent condition by the 29th.

We haven't really had the nightmare scenario yet of argos + rain + short turnaround. I suspect until we do, this matter is somewhat put to bed; or at least put to nap on the couch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was watching TSN sportscentre and they were showing BMO field and the announcers probably an hour after game and the announcers were sitting on the concourse in the north east side. The pitch was behind them and most of the paint was already off the pitch. It was quite impressive

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm not worried about the lines and logos. Last year there were actually some other issues, where some of what looked like nice green grass, was actually painted dirt and sand. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. Hopefully the surface doesn't just looked good next week vs. Columbus, but also plays well.

BTW I watched the Patriots - Raiders game at Estadio Azteca yesterday. The grass there looked like crap by the end of the game, totally chewed up, despite perfect weather. Not sure if the BMO grass is tougher to start with; and/or if NFL does more damage than CFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably climate/altitude related

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of the problem relates to the idiocy of the MLS calendar- soccer is a summer sport, it’s unreasonable to expect good grass in Toronto on November29
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wait until February.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just wait until February.
    I would love a good old Canadian snow storm when the Reds host their Champions League matchup at BMO on Feb. 22. That will be the real test for the pitch.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I would love a good old Canadian snow storm when the Reds host their Champions League matchup at BMO on Feb. 22. That will be the real test for the pitch.
    Has that date been confirmed? Just had a quick google and the schedules dont have any specific dates for Feb yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Has that date been confirmed? Just had a quick google and the schedules dont have any specific dates for Feb yet.

id like confirmation as well please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's my pitchfork???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can see some clumps. But it looks like that picture was taken around mid-morning. Maybe they spent the warm weather today patching things up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Where's my pitchfork???

Being used to fix the pitch, duh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like the field at Mapfre