Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course it is not like TFC practices at BMO either. I don't believe our guys comment complain about BMO not feeling like home!

Stop whining and play better football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frank zicarelli is a douche.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was talking to some die-hard Argos fans and apparently it costs an arm and a leg to pay the unions every time they remove and replace the seats in the south end. Doesn't contribute to the profitability matrix for any of the stakeholders involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Of course it is not like TFC practices at BMO either. I don't believe our guys comment complain about BMO not feeling like home!

Stop whining and play better football.
    And I don't think that any of the Argos players are complaining about BMO not feeling like home. It's probably just Frank Zicarelli, who seems to dislike footy a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    And I don't think that any of the Argos players are complaining about BMO not feeling like home. It's probably just Frank Zicarelli, who seems to dislike footy a lot.
    If I'm Argos management, I've got my players on a very short lease. The last thing they need is more ill-feelings between supporters and Argos/TFC staff and management. In other words, players STFU!

Edit: To be clear, I was referring to a tweet last year when an Argonaut was trashing TFC players who were complaining about the deterioration of the pitch.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 09-11-2017 at 04:14 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REMINDER: This thread is about pitch issues. Argos can be discussed in the "All Sports" section of the board.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sun Argo/Bball columnist yells at cloud

The test for this field comes in November. If they can get the field to hold up without having to resort to sand....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Sun Argo/Bball columnist yells at cloud

The test for this field comes in November. If they can get the field to hold up without having to resort to sand....
    I thought we had sand the entire season! Since we haven't got the chance to use our backup pitches mid season, would desso still be a viable option?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we had sand the entire season! Since we haven't got the chance to use our backup pitches mid season, would desso still be a viable option?
    The field was never destroyed enough to warrant putting in a backup pitch, but I believe they are still available if the field is turned into a mud bowl.

I think that Desso has been ruled out for now. After discussing with other venues that use Desso, none of which face the exact same situation as BMO, they realized that you can't replace patches of Desso, so it's too risky for BMO Field's conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    The field was never destroyed enough to warrant putting in a backup pitch, but I believe they are still available if the field is turned into a mud bowl.

I think that Desso has been ruled out for now. After discussing with other venues that use Desso, none of which face the exact same situation as BMO, they realized that you can't replace patches of Desso, so it's too risky for BMO Field's conditions.
    Yes, exactly. Patching could well be a necessity and I'm not convinced that 2% Desso would really do anything to protect the pitch from CFL wear and tear. I do seem to recall mention of upping the % of embedded artificial fibres but, as you say, it would make the replacement of patches of sod virtually impossible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    I was talking to some die-hard Argos fans and apparently it costs an arm and a leg to pay the unions every time they remove and replace the seats in the south end. Doesn't contribute to the profitability matrix for any of the stakeholders involved.
    To do anything at BMO has huge union costs even doing such things as setting up TVs in a suite, its can get very silly at times.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 09-11-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch at the Argo game was the worst it has been all year.
    First of all, it was as firmer than it has been all year. Not turf firm but harder than it has been.
    There were very small yellow patches before the game. Nothing to write home about, but not the pristine green it was all year. I assume this is because of a lack of rain recently.
    During the game and by the end that field had more divots in it than I have ever seen. Again perhaps because of the lack of rain, or perhaps the cooler weather over the last couple of weeks having its effect on the grass, it just seemed weaker and more easily damaged.
    The pitch also seems bumpy, and it is noticable where pat h work has now begun to change shades of green.
    Lastly, the grass was longer today. Longer than it has been all year. I don't know what the strategy is behind that, but I assume it is for good reasons of course.
    Today I am very clearly of the opinion that it is simply a fact that especially now that the weather is changing, despite some warm past couple of days the Argo presence is detremential to the pitch. Its a fact. Not speculation from seats meters away, but it's just actually true.
    Its hard enough to keep growing grass in this area this time of year, and the Argos are 100 per cent fucking up the pitch.
    Not to say that tfc doesn't do the same damage when they play, but I can tell you the Argos damage the pitch.
    BMO has been very luck it has not rained during an Argo game. I can't imagine what damage that would cause, and I am dreading the cooler weather as far as the grass goes.
    Funny how both Jozy and Seba left last game. I would hate to think the pitch, and the Argos playing in it contributed, but the Fall decline of that field has begun, and that's a fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The NFL game will likely be far more destructive to the LA field than we've experienced with the Argos. Mainly because they seem to grind it out up the middle far more. CFL is more spread out, which likely means a bit less wear and tear.
    Absolutely disagree. The NFL season overlaps far less than the CFL so they will only have to change over 2 or 3 times.
    The field looked and played great tonight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

InDa_110 the grass is left longer for Argos games. It needs to be shorter anyway for TFC, and cutting the grass is an additional step helping to remove any signs of the CFL markings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos played last night? I didn't even notice lol

How many home games do they have left to play before playoffs?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Executive Summary - Argo home dates will not affect TFC going forward

Argos remaining home games

Sat Sept 23 7pm

Sat Oct 7 4pm

Sat Oct 21 4pm

We are away for all these weekends & don't play until the next weekend.

Possible Playoffs (only 1 of these two depending on where they finish)

Sunday Nov 12 1pm

or

Sunday Nov 19 1pm

As of yesterday, I'm going to make the assumption we will not get caught by NYC.

Our potential playoff dates are:

Sunday Nov 5

&

Tuesday Nov 28 or Wed Nov 29

&

Dec 9

Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-17-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

InDa_110 the grass is left longer for Argos games. It needs to be shorter anyway for TFC, and cutting the grass is an additional step helping to remove any signs of the CFL markings.
    Makes sense.

I want to Be clear I am not knocking at all the ground crew. In fact I have said before and continue to say they do an excellent job. In fact any negativity I express is in comparison to the immaculateness of the summer. I just wanted to say the wear and tear of the year is slowing beginning to show, and at the very least the Argos are creating much more headaches for the grounds crew than simply the lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    to pay the unionized employees may be a cost. But not the unions. And if the Argos are sufficiently poor that their supporters are complaining about paying people who work for them a decent wage, it's game over. The same employees do work for TFC since year one, and no one on these boards has ever called for them to be paid poor .wages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To say the field took a beating tonight at the Argo game is an understatement. Sadly.
    And it appears the Argos may win the east. Which means they will host a playoff game even later into November if that holds.

Argos play October 7, 21 and now it appears November 19.
    Last edited by InDa_110; 09-23-2017 at 10:07 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    To say the field took a beating tonight at the Argo game is an understatement. Sadly.
    And it appears the Argos may win the east. Which means they will host a playoff game even later into November if that holds.

Thanks for the update man.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post

The only glimmer of hope with those Argo dates is that for each potential TFC playoff game there is more than a week for the turf to recover each time (advantage of getting the second leg is each round):

Argos Oct 7 -- TFC Oct 15

Argos Oct 21 -- TFC Nov 5 (Eastern Semi - Leg 2)

Argos Nov 19 (CFL East Final) -- TFC Nov 28/29 [probably 29th] (MLS East Final, Leg 2)

And the icing on the cake for this year, no Grey Cup on the turf before a potential MLS Cup.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not hosting the grey cup helps, but we should be cheering for an argos second place finish. That gives more time for the groundscrew to work some magic (hopefully grass and not green paint and sand).
    Last year the pitch was unacceptable for an mls cup final. We can't have a repeat in this year's playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I'm glad for this heat wave, though. It will help the grass rebound faster now and hopefully last longer through October, which will be better for TFC come November.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    But I'm glad for this heat wave, though. It will help the grass rebound faster now and hopefully last longer through October, which will be better for TFC come November.
    But I believe when it's THIS hot & sunny, grass can also want to go dormant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I believe when it's THIS hot & sunny, grass can also want to go dormant.
    correct heat is not good

you want teens and low 20s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here's what happened tonight at the Argo game.

The field was in much better shape before the game than it has been recently. Although, some of the patches were sprayed with that green stuff that is meant to make dead grass and divots appear green. I think it is called hydroseed. It's like a green paint.

However, the Argos tore the hell out of it in certain spots. On one play alone, in the 4th quarter, in the south east section of the field, about where the 10 yard line/sideline meet one tackle, where a player slid with his face mask on the ground, literally tore a divot about 18 inches long and 5 inches wide. I swear I am not exageratting.

There was a plethora of divots all over the field.

Here's something else I noticed tonight. As the temperature drops the later it gets, especially when the sun goes down, the field, built on sand and of course next to a great lake, gets very moist and slippery. The moisture is what causes the field to rip so easily compared to the dry firmness of the summer.

The field took a beating. That's just the fact of the matter. It will create a lot of work for the ground crew and that too is a fact. Will the damage be completely restored by Nov 5. Probably not. Sorry. That's just what I believe. But I am cheering for the amazing grounds crew.

It is starting to look more likely that the Argos will play at BMO again on November 19 for the Eastern Final. Although there is still a possibility the play a week earlier in November 12, but with their win tonight, if Ottawa wins there Next game and Argos don't win again it will be the 12th.

Sorry for bad news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy who grows grass for BMO Field will be doing an AMA tomorrow at Noon!

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comment...field_tuesday/

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy who grows grass for BMO Field will be doing an AMA tomorrow at Noon!

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comment...field_tuesday/
    Apparently a "guy who grows grass for BMO" is not BMO Grass guy to begin with.......

[–]Bmograssguy 1 point 11 hours ago
    But how am I talking if I didn't even know about It? Interesting but I wouldn't take too much of what they say seriously...since its not the bmo guys....

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Apparently a "guy who grows grass for BMO" is not BMO Grass guy to begin with.......
    Apparently the guy who grows the grass for BMO works at green horizons, the place where they grow the backup pitches. We'll see if this guy will be able to provide proof for the AMA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know who these people are or what they said. Grass guys or not grass guys, or whatever.

I also don't understand these so called back up pitches that may or may not exist.

What I do know is that the BMO pitch is essentially grass on sand. I know that during the summer the big issue is to keep it moist because it does not retain water that well and became very firm at times.

I know that now they have the opposite problem do to moisture in the air being next to the lake, when the sun goes down that field is slippery. Also, it damages much easier and repairs become harder to make. So hard in fact that they have begun using hydroseeding to cover up patches and divots.

I also know the Argos tore the shit out of that field the other night and the past few games. I imagine tfc does too, but to a lesser extent. I know that the Argos have never played in the rain yet at BMO and the grounds crew is counting their blessings for that. A rain game in November would be a huge disaster for the pitch.

I don't know the mechanics of a new turf or what goes into it. Is it like laying sod that will need to take to the roots? I have no idea how that will work. It's getting down to single digits at night and fall weather during the day. It is not easy to maintain anything that grows outdoors this time of year.
    Last edited by InDa_110; 10-24-2017 at 08:48 PM.