Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updating Lamport makes so much sense, MLSE should get on this, it fits close to 10 000 now figure out away of putting another 8000 seats in there renovate the stadium and you have a nice smaller stadium for the Argos, Rugby and a potential CPL team, however, this being Toronto this will never get done. I do think there is a need for a smaller stadium in Toronto that can also be used as an outdoor concert venue in the summer months.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    If they updated Lamport/Varsity and used BMO for big events I would be content. Personally, I'd love to see a Wolfpack/Argos/Toronto CPL ground share.
    The CanPL team partnering with the Wolfpack makes sense but Wolfpack wouldn't need it. It's not like they own Lamport and they don't intend to stay at Lamport.

With how much they already overspend to be in that league the chances they invest in Lamport vs moving to sportsplex BMO are pretty damn slim.

The Argos moving to Lamport won't happen just to look better on tv. It costs the owners more. The Argos can keep losing money. They are a charity right now. I've never seen records of their losses and don't expect to.

BMO field looks great. As long as it does the Argos won't move for money.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The CanPL team partnering with the Wolfpack makes sense but Wolfpack wouldn't need it. It's not like they own Lamport and they don't intend to stay at Lamport.

With how much they already overspend to be in that league the chances they invest in Lamport vs moving to sportsplex BMO are pretty damn slim.

The Argos moving to Lamport won't happen just to look better on tv. It costs the owners more. The Argos can keep losing money. They are a charity right now. I've never seen records of their losses and don't expect to.

BMO field looks great. As long as it does the Argos won't move for money.
    I do believe the guy who owns the Wolfpack is the son of the family that had previously owned the Toronto Lynx. So it is not as if there isn't a little bit of history there. I don't believe they'll be the group to buy the CPL team considering their substantial investment in Rugby but perhaps they'd be open to sharing a new ground with a CPL team. I do know that they plan to upgrade Lamport until they believe a new stadium is required. Either way, its all conjecture.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an FYI - MLSE has the contract to operate Lamport. Given what Manning has said about the CPL, no way it goes there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they updated Lamport/Varsity and used BMO for big events I would be content. Personally, I'd love to see a Wolfpack/Argos/Toronto CPL ground share.
    C'mon folks, just stop talking about improving Varsity. Varsity is exactly what U of T wants and needs. They don't want any of the hassles that come with a pro team in their precinct. That's why they pulled out of the original soccer/football stadium in the first place. Further to that, the footprint is maxed out.

Lamport is the only realistic way to go without starting from scratch somewhere else. The 9600 seats can easily be doubled and there is plenty of land around the existing facility.

Wolfpack/Argos/Toronto CP an improved Lamport would be absolutely ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just an FYI - MLSE has the contract to operate Lamport. Given what Manning has said about the CPL, no way it goes there.
    Yes, they manage it but they don't own it. If they try to keep a paying customer out, there will be an extremely major controversy with the politicians getting involved. It's a major conflict of interest. If anything, they'd have to give up their operating contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe the guy who owns the Wolfpack is the son of the family that had previously owned the Toronto Lynx. So it is not as if there isn't a little bit of history there. I don't believe they'll be the group to buy the CPL team considering their substantial investment in Rugby but perhaps they'd be open to sharing a new ground with a CPL team. I do know that they plan to upgrade Lamport until they believe a new stadium is required. Either way, its all conjecture.
    I've not heard that. I assume you do not mean Eric Perez, the CEO. They key figure is their mystery (I believe) Australian Mr. Money Bags who is paying the bills. I've only heard his existence intimated by Perez. Name never mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    They manage it during the winter when the bubble is up. They don't have any say over the tenants that use it during the summer. Also, lamport if a public facility that loses money. A private company couldn't block access to it because they are afraid of competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In interviews, Eric Perez has mentioned that they may renovate Lamport (including a new stand behind the south end) or look to build their own facility.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I've not heard that. I assume you do not mean Eric Perez, the CEO. They key figure is their mystery (I believe) Australian Mr. Money Bags who is paying the bills. I've only heard his existence intimated by Perez. Name never mentioned.
    I'm a big fan of the team, been to many games, watched plenty of away games, listened to podcasts and I was totally unaware of this. That makes a lot of sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    In interviews, Eric Perez has mentioned that they may renovate Lamport (including a new stand behind the south end) or look to build their own facility.
    This is what I've heard as well. My concerns are the team is going to kill its players if they keep playing on turf. Perhaps more accurately, Lamport's awful turf. I should add that Wolfpack crowds are slowly dissipating into a comfortable 5000-6000. This number is healthy for the team but also reflects the fact that its unlikely they'll need to concern themselves with expansion/renovation in the short term. When the team makes the Super League they'll need to reevaluate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I've heard as well. My concerns are the team is going to kill its players if they keep playing on turf. Perhaps more accurately, Lamport's awful turf. I should add that Wolfpack crowds are slowly dissipating into a comfortable 5000-6000. This number is healthy for the team but also reflects the fact that its unlikely they'll need to concern themselves with expansion/renovation in the short term. When the team makes the Super League they'll need to reevaluate.
    How much was last weeks poor attendance due to the fact it was a long weekend and Canada Day? I've only seen them play live in the UK so it's hard for me to judge the home crowds but are people starting to lose interest due to Toronto smashing every other team? Even at 5,000, the attendances are just as good or better than some Super League sides.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright there is actually a Wolfpack thread. Regardless of the mystery around them and how likely it is they can actually pour enough into Lamport to satisfy their needs at the top level...

BMO pitch is doing well this season so far so none of the brass cares to move Argos.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The argos are not leaving BMO. A lot of time, effort and money went in to moving them in as well as reconfiguring the stadium and stands.

The pitch is still doing exceptionally well as of Friday. Warm weather and lots of rain, with some luck not to have down pours while the pitch is in use has been a blessing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    The money behind the Wolfpack is from Australia. He is David Argyle who made his money in mining. He essentially is back Eric Perez's dream.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is a new thread to discuss pitch sharing issues only with respect to grass, markings on the field, etc. This includes any issues with respect to sharing with CFL, lacrosse, rugby, various other types of gridiron, soccer uses oustide of MLS, etc.

No discussions of other sports, their attendance, etc. is to be covered in this thread. Instead discuss those in the "All Sports Talk" sections. Any trolling or off-topic posts will be deleted.
    A reminder of the rules of this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that the awful artificial surface is being replaced for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch is almost irrelevant in the summer. Unless there's a downpour during an Argos game and it is torn up badly.
    The grounds crew have done a great job, lines haven't been too visible. Even on short weeks.
    That said, I heard we essentially played the MLS final on spray painted dirt last year. Who knows if that had an impact on the outcome.
    The Argos are off.to a good start and may be hosting a playoff game again. Hopefully our pitch holds up better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this thread OK for BMO stadium as a whole?

If only we had this there:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is Atlanta Falcons based pricing that will happen to also be available for the other tenant. They are that rare thing - an NFL team that has just been to the Super Bowl that are worried about attendance. They are banking on volume.

There is also some suggestions they are trying to get people to eat a bit so there are not as many drunks.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samuraizero View Post
    Is this thread OK for BMO stadium as a whole?

I
    This thread is to discuss the pitch only.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This thread is to discuss the pitch only.

my bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least the pitch doesn't regularly get torn up by rolling an enormous stage onto it during the CNE, or by "out-of-control racing cars" like it did in the 1960s at the old CNE Stadium.
    http://howardlberger.blogspot.ca/201...s-patches.html
    ... Canadian National Exhibition ... the large, white stage in the middle of the football field. Rolling that stage on and off destroyed the grass pitch for remainder of the CFL season each year.
    http://www.wheels.ca/news/speeding-t...nto-tradition/
    ... "war" ... broke out between the football team and the racers. The Argos did not appreciate having their field -- in the infield of the now-quarter-mile race track -- periodically torn up by out-of-control racing cars. By the early 1960s, the football team had convinced the powers that be to kick the race cars out of the Ex once the regular CFL season started in July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL player bitching about the end zones apparently

Cabbie to the rescue

Last edited by Areathrasher; 07-25-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well it's true. It's ridiculous to have a field with two different surfaces. But it suits them. Maybe if the Argos came in as equal partners over a decade ago things would be different for them. But they didn't, so now they are the couch surfer in someone else's house. No one to blame but themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the most rain there's been yesterday since the Argos came to BMO and then a game at night. I wonder what shape the pitch is in right now? Will find out on Saturday..

I don't think Bo Levi Mitchell understands they can't just extend the grass field due to the logistics of the current arrangement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, Cabbie's tweet most likely went far over Mitchell's head, aside from "Who the hell are Seba and Jozy?".......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More like "Who's Cabbie?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol....that too....