Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It was a great view. Did not feel disconnected at all. It was rammed.
    Thanks.
    Will spend a little bit in the seat then go for a stroll............if ya know what I mean...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they feel stable?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heepster View Post
    Lamport isn't long enough for them. Since it's King Street at the north end, it would have to expand into the parking lot to the south which presently earns money from people who work in the neighborhood and park there every weekday, so I doubt that it's a realistic option.

More than $100 million was spent on the recent BMO expansion, so they're not about to give up and spend more on some other place any time soon. As they did at Rogers Centre, if they don't like how empty the stadium looks for Argo games, they'll close off the upper level (or maybe one side) of the stadium before they consider the idea of moving them again so soon. If that did happen a few years down the road, maybe they would look at putting a 7-8000 seat metal stand on one side of their practice field in Downsview? The new GO Train/subway station near there should be in operation by early 2018. Steve Simmons said they had 3600 season tickets in 2015, and about 7000 in 2016 although you'd think that number would probably be going back down again.

As long as they return to the scheduling set-up at BMO of leaving at least 5 days after every Argo game to repair/replace the grass, it should be okay. If you're hoping for anything else to change in the near future, don't hold your breathe waiting for it since the only alternative is that the grass gets ripped out and artificial turf gets put in, like happened in New England.
    I don't hope or hold breath "for anything else to change in the near future". I simply rely on the craven monetary lust of MLSE to earn healthy regular profits from good business practices.

The old saying goes that 'one swallow does not a summer make.' One night of decent, if error-prone, gridiron competition before a crowd largely paying well below face value for their tickets does not herald a return to glory for the Argos or CFL in Toronto. Quite the opposite, as the tepid overall response to the CFL in Toronto this week has shown.

Earlier in the fall, Frank Zicarelli of The Sun, wrote that he thought this season's financial losses for the Argos would amount to somewhere between $15 and 20 million.

Just stop and think about that number.

How long do you think the current owners would be prepared to sustain that level of loss before looking at other options?

When you have a solidly established, engaged and emotional audience for soccer that is topping 20,000 in season ticket sales and selling out private suites and premium seats regularly for a season that offers at least twice as many games as the Argos do, you can't go jeopardizing the core product for a marginal long-term investment. At this point, describing the Argonauts future fortunes is exactly that.

And when that marginal long-term investment produces an event that leaves the playing surface in questionable condition and that hard-won fan base having kittens just two days before the biggest match in club history, you don't have an ideal situation and one that MLSE can't be considering as sustainable in the long term. Competitive, quality soccer is crucial to TFC becoming what they hope it can be.

Here's what's clear. Soccer is a money maker at BMO Field with clear potential to become huge in this city. Football at present is little more than a maybe maker. You can't take maybes to the bank.

If TFC lose on Wednesday and the playing condition of the pitch is a factor, it won't go over well with fans and will prompt some looks at options. Tim Leiweke and MLSE stadium ops VP Bob Hunter have said that they 'can't wreck it for soccer'.

As for parking concerns next to Lamport? First and foremost, we need to see how the rugby team does. Not only do they represent a far more compatible relationship with the Argos, but a ground share at Lamport would give the Argonauts a priority in setting schedules. Playing at Lamport would still let them largely use the resources of the CNE grounds for parking, tailgating etc. If the Wolfpack draw decent, consistent crowds, MLSE can take harder looks at their stadium options.

But there is a very nice footprint of land to work with there, very close in overall area to the current BMO Field. Parking can be multi-tiered and is the least concern.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    As for parking concerns next to Lamport? First and foremost, we need to see how the rugby team does. Not only do they represent a far more compatible relationship with the Argos, but a ground share at Lamport would give the Argonauts a priority in setting schedules. Playing at Lamport would still let them largely use the resources of the CNE grounds for parking, tailgating etc. If the Wolfpack draw decent, consistent crowds, MLSE can take harder looks at their stadium options.

But there is a very nice footprint of land to work with there, very close in overall area to the current BMO Field. Parking can be multi-tiered and is the least concern.
    This is the BMO pitch thread. Stay on point.

Your dreams on parking spenditure and Wolfpack not aiming at BMO when they get to premier league is rip roaring though.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole Wolfpack thing is pretty darn rip roaring.

So's annual losses of $15-20 million.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time we make them take off their shoes when on hallowed ground...hey if Julia Roberts can on Old Trafford...so can they when in Our House...

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    I don't hope or hold breath "for anything else to change in the near future". I simply rely on the craven monetary lust of MLSE to earn healthy regular profits from good business practices.

The old saying goes that 'one swallow does not a summer make.' One night of decent, if error-prone, gridiron competition before a crowd largely paying well below face value for their tickets does not herald a return to glory for the Argos or CFL in Toronto. Quite the opposite, as the tepid overall response to the CFL in Toronto this week has shown.

Earlier in the fall, Frank Zicarelli of The Sun, wrote that he thought this season's financial losses for the Argos would amount to somewhere between $15 and 20 million.

Just stop and think about that number.

How long do you think the current owners would be prepared to sustain that level of loss before looking at other options?

When you have a solidly established, engaged and emotional audience for soccer that is topping 20,000 in season ticket sales and selling out private suites and premium seats regularly for a season that offers at least twice as many games as the Argos do, you can't go jeopardizing the core product for a marginal long-term investment. At this point, describing the Argonauts future fortunes is exactly that.

And when that marginal long-term investment produces an event that leaves the playing surface in questionable condition and that hard-won fan base having kittens just two days before the biggest match in club history, you don't have an ideal situation and one that MLSE can't be considering as sustainable in the long term. Competitive, quality soccer is crucial to TFC becoming what they hope it can be.

Here's what's clear. Soccer is a money maker at BMO Field with clear potential to become huge in this city. Football at present is little more than a maybe maker. You can't take maybes to the bank.

If TFC lose on Wednesday and the playing condition of the pitch is a factor, it won't go over well with fans and will prompt some looks at options. Tim Leiweke and MLSE stadium ops VP Bob Hunter have said that they 'can't wreck it for soccer'.

As long as Bell has a financial stake from the TV end, they will prop up the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea about the profitability of CFL ratings to bell but somehow I doubt the Argos existence incrementally makes up for a loss of $15-$20 million a season, should that actually be the figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the latest:

BMO Field pitch in 'good shape':

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-g...up-good-shape/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Here's the latest:

BMO Field pitch in 'good shape':

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-g...up-good-shape/
    I really hope the following line is a misquote:

"They've seen better pitches this year, but they haven't seen worse"

Because that to me tells me that the pitch is the worst one they've seen all year! I am sure it's an error since the rest of the paragraph suggests otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    I really hope the following line is a misquote:

"They've seen better pitches this year, but they haven't seen worse"

Because that to me tells me that the pitch is the worst one they've seen all year! I am sure it's an error since the rest of the paragraph suggests otherwise.
    Yeah - I hope he meant they've seen worse at other stadiums.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rain for most of all day tomorrow is not going to help. We'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    My sister is over for dinner. Her birthday is Nov.27, so she has a lifetime of having the Grey Cup in the vicinity of her celebrations.

When I make some noise of complaint, she turns to my wife.

"who's Mark cheering for?"

My wife replies

"the field"
    I just spit my coffee out...lol...priceless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heggie said there was one area that took some damage where the football players were doing some running drills, but that was outside of the soccer touchline.
    This was literally right in front of me at the game. It looked ugly. Even the CFL players doing the drill there noticing how mucked up the field became, picked up the ropes they were doing their drills on and moved a few feet away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So that's what, less than 18 hours from the final Grey Cup whistle?? That looks amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the heck do you climb up to those temp stands? Not from the back of the accessible seating area?

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful...it looks positively scrumptious!

I was so hoping someone would get some pics to put everyone's mind at ease.

...ought to give the grounds crew man of the match for this or at the very least a giant hug and kisses!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing, man on the inside, @GabrielHurl
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Funny to see an article about pitch condition for the match in a Montreal news site, and strangely no mention of the conditions last week. I hope there's a follow-up piece with tips on how to measure 18 yards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This grounds crew is impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    How the heck do you climb up to those temp stands? Not from the back of the accessible seating area?
    Staircases on either side.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds;[URL="tel:1822281"
    1822281[/URL]]How the heck do you climb up to those temp stands? Not from the back of the accessible seating area?
    Right off the back of the accessible seats.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HFS that is amazing. I was dead certain the painted ads would stain the grass noticeably. Maybe Big Time Tim got that magic paint after all. Or more likely, we have a super-human grounds crew. They deserve a massive shout out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironically that won't be the most amazing grass that I'll be experiencing during the match tomorrow evening...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Ironically that won't be the most amazing grass that I'll be experiencing during the match tomorrow evening...
    Keep it out of the stadium though... we only want the right type of grass inside.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The rain for most of all day tomorrow is not going to help. We'll see.
    I don't think rain will be a negative factor. The field felt very firm underfoot after the Grey Cup, something I think helped it withstand the punishment from the gridiron cleats.

The equipment to cover the field and shed unwanted water is available. I think a slightly slower surface wouldn't hurt TFC as Montreal excelled counterattacking on a fast, dry track at their own Hippodrome last week.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Pass the Dutchie to the left hand side... .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone remember the suit guy chant we use to give the head of security.."Suit there it is"..we need a quick one for the groundscrew.... Awesome job!