Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    can someone calculate the distance matt black ran all year vs giovinco

My guess giovinco 350 km matt black 36 km
    I don't know what position this guy plays, but he runs at most 1.25 miles per game if he's a receiver or cornerback. Compared to 7 miles average in soccer.

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-...sports/slide/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All numbers fudged from here: http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-d...fferent-sports

Average for soccer is >10km for 90 min . Gio played ~2500 min MLS only, so 27.5 games, which would suggest >275 km. (Bradley would probably be 30% higher as a midfielder, per game)

NFL players run 2km for a game as a peak! Most run less. Their schedule is 20 games, so max 40 km.

Your estimate is not far off.

I don't know what position the doofus plays, and I'm not going to look it up.

edited to say I ended up down the same rabbit hole as Canary10. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't know what position this guy plays, but he runs at most 1.25 miles per game if he's a receiver or cornerback. Compared to 7 miles average in soccer.

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-...sports/slide/1
    Plus, what, a third of the games?

I was fine taking a wait and see approach with this pitch, but now that we have our two most important offensive players coming forward like this I am firmly in the "get the Argos the hell out" camp.

Also I've given Larson a lot of slack over the years - I still read him despite it being the Sun (which I hate) and him being needlessly incendiary with supporters. But in what possible world would I take his word on the pitch quality over that of the players? Ridiculous.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    All numbers fudged from here: http://gizmodo.com/5992583/how-far-d...fferent-sports

Average for soccer is >10km for 90 min . Gio played ~2500 min MLS only, so 27.5 games, which would suggest >275 km. (Bradley would probably be 30% higher as a midfielder, per game)

NFL players run 2km for a game as a peak! Most run less. Their schedule is 20 games, so max 40 km.

I also couldn't be bothered looking up what position he plays. Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post

Additionally, TFC players are moving constantly. Pointy ball players get a break for 5 or 6 minutes several times a game. Time to stretch and take on fluids if they wish. Hell, they could be over next to the heaters in a lay-z-boy chair for crying out loud!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish Gio would tweet back something like:

"open invitation to Argo players to go for a 10 mile run......... bring your hamstrings"

I bet they'd be begging for mercy halfway through.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    I wish Gio would tweet back something like:

"open invitation to Argo players to go for a 10 mile run......... bring your hamstrings"

I bet they'd be begging for mercy halfway through.
    LOL perfect! Better than a 10-mile run though -- 10 miles of sprints & sharp turns mixed with jogging. That's more like footy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elite athletes know their bodies well, including their limitations. This is not something I'd expect Argo's players to understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the course of an NFL game the ball is in play for 11 minutes, with offense, defense and special teams do these guys even know what a cramp is?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...02852055561406
    Last edited by jimiv; 12-14-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waitaminnit, would we be having this pitch discussion if TFC had won on Saturday? Shouldn't the pitch have been in worse condition for the Montreal match? Or did the pitch not recover as fast as they hoped with the game happening in December?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Waitaminnit, would we be having this pitch discussion if TFC had won on Saturday? Shouldn't the pitch have been in worse condition for the Montreal match? Or did the pitch not recover as fast as they hoped with the game happening in December?
    Agreed.

Or did the pitch, with winter conditions, not recover as fast after the Montreal game?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Agreed.

Or did the pitch, with winter conditions, not recover as fast after the Montreal game?
    Probably all of the above. They mentioned the pitch was gradually getting worse in the last part of the season. November still had lots of good weather. (I remember because I could unexpectedly finish painting my porch.) Should have been good enough for maintaining grass under normal conditions, especially when you have tarps & grow lights to play with. Probably regular fall conditions, plus extra usage by multiple teams, plus lots of green sand to keep the mud that was peeking through looking green, gradually made conditions worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still pissed off at these CFL players for jumping to conclusions without taking the time to really comprehend what Gio had stated , and chirping at him, they really showed their true colours kind of embarrassing really, I would feel embarrassed if I was the CFL league office and the Argo front office today for their players going off on Seba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Still pissed off at these CFL players for jumping to conclusions without taking the time to really comprehend what Gio had stated , and chirping at him, they really showed their true colours kind of embarrassing really, I would feel embarrassed if I was the CFL league office and the Argo front office today for their players going off on Seba.
    I get that considering the previous acrimony the two FOs would rather just let this little spat blow itself out but I'd like to think that TFC will have a quiet word with the Argos and maybe next season when both groups of players are back in town, maybe their people get these douches to quietly offer an apology in person to Seba. As it stands I was ok just ignoring the Argos but these potshots at Giovinco have pushed me to want to see them go out of business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Additionally, TFC players are moving constantly. Pointy ball players get a break for 5 or 6 minutes several times a game. Time to stretch and take on fluids if they wish. Hell, they could be over next to the heaters in a lay-z-boy chair for crying out loud!!
    with oxygen tank to boot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Probably all of the above. They mentioned the pitch was gradually getting worse in the last part of the season. November still had lots of good weather. (I remember because I could unexpectedly finish painting my porch.) Should have been good enough for maintaining grass under normal conditions, especially when you have tarps & grow lights to play with. Probably regular fall conditions, plus extra usage by multiple teams, plus lots of green sand to keep the mud that was peeking through looking green, gradually made conditions worse.
    I was growing my lawn in early nov, just seeds and soil

they have more tools available and no squirrels destroying it

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe.

But if you want to get a little press, feed the emotion of your fan base and maybe sell a few of the clearly available tickets... a little soccer vs football public spat isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It's December and the Argos are in the news on the backs of TFC. I'm not sure they are embarrassed. Probably happy to get some coverage.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they supposed to say nothing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is a clear indication here that these CFL players have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the condition of the pitch - so ya, they should keep quiet.

I mean these guys move around on it for what...0:03-0:05 seconds at a time and then take 0:30-1:00 break. The field conditions do nothing to change the way their game is played. It has negligible affect on them physically. So for them to chirp is just purse ignorance on their part.

They do make a point about Gio should've sucked it up and just played through the full game - but again - who the fuck are they to even comment on that?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Maybe.

But if you want to get a little press, feed the emotion of your fan base and maybe sell a few of the clearly available tickets... a little soccer vs football public spat isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It's December and the Argos are in the news on the backs of TFC. I'm not sure they are embarrassed. Probably happy to get some coverage.
    Definitely happy for coverage. That coverage should be more embarrassed for such misleading inflammatory headlines but hey gotta sell...clicks?

But really the term "fan base" is even a bit of a stretch. Social media backlash from the gridiron side has been the all-around NA sporto type fearing the saccer.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I also couldn't be bothered looking up what position he plays. Lol.
    Yea,but does Seba even lift

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha ha!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle33447399/

New turf started two years ago now in greenhouses in Vineland.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle33447399/

New turf started two years ago now in greenhouses in Vineland.
    Very interesting article. I never thought I would read & care that much about a patch of grass!! Unfortunately the article also includes a bit of BS, but oh well... They also don't mention the green sand & green paint used between events (which the groundskeeper had alluded to). Doesn't fit the narrative I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mum View Post
    Look at the Argos, at BMO. They're laughing at us, at our stupidity. And now they are beating us on Twitter. They are not our friend, believe me.
    By "the Argos" you mean people from Saskatchewan posing as fans of rival CFL teams right?

My prediction is our public breat downs of them in the stands or elsewhere will only get more lopsided.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^wow that is one rancid piece of journalism.

No discussion of the sand, or what Giovinco said, or the soccer/football groundsharing disasters (eg Wembley) that make up most of the data set around whether this works in the long run....

Also pitching a three day turnaround from football to soccer like it's the buildup to D-Day ... I mean come on. That was just an effing absurd take. Nobody thinks the issue with groundsharing is the turnaround time. What's next, the life and times of the heroic Raps laundry staff when they have to wash jerseys overnight when they have a back-to-back?

Was that a paid advertisement for MLSE in an airline magazine or something, that the Globe just repurposed?
    Last edited by ensco; 12-31-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a "lets get in on that hockey game outside event" article that was subtly used by MLSE's PR department in an orchestrated but not too heavily pushy attempt to get out in front of any complaints about the field. The grounds crew seems to really want to publicly silence critics, which is kinda weird for a group that at most stadiums doesn't want to be noticed.

I have seen more articles in the last few months about the grounds crew then I have about Justin Morrow.

That this campaign was undermined by Seba himself, who was backed up by Manning, Bez, Altidore and Bradley, seems to have been not noticed by a journalist who covers every single sports team in Toronto - but TFC.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-31-2016 at 02:59 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    It was a "lets get in on that hockey game outside event" article that was subtly used by MLSE's PR department in an orchestrated but not too heavily pushy attempt to get out in front of any complaints about the field. The grounds crew seems to really want to publicly silence critics, which is kinda weird for a group that at most stadiums doesn't want to be noticed.

I have seen more articles in the last few months about the grounds crew then I have about Justin Morrow.

That this campaign was undermined by Seba himself, who was backed up by Manning, Bez, Altidore and Bradley, seems to have been not noticed by a journalist who covers every single sports team in Toronto - but TFC.
    Love it. Your post, that is. Not the sitch, not the article or back lash.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^wow that is one rancid piece of journalism.

No discussion of the sand, or what Giovinco said, or the soccer/football groundsharing disasters (eg Wembley) that make up most of the data set around whether this works in the long run....

Also pitching a three day turnaround from football to soccer like it's the buildup to D-Day ... I mean come on. That was just an effing absurd take. Nobody thinks the issue with groundsharing is the turnaround time. What's next, the life and times of the heroic Raps laundry staff when they have to wash jerseys overnight when they have a back-to-back?

Was that a paid advertisement for MLSE in an airline magazine or something, that the Globe just repurposed?
    go Ensco! You are on a roll