Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    - After the renovations at Skydome it can no longer be configured for soccer/football. So it really wasn't an option.
    Media was reporting this week that Rogers offered Skydome for this game. Not sure where the "can no longer be configured for soccer/football" comes from. The issue was that it can't be changed during baseball season.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There is no dome option, so Toronto have to have the ability to move games in February on 3-4 days notice to a neutral, warmer site. No other option.
    Why no dome option on 3 months notice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Rogers offered the Skydome then it's terrible management by Manning to not use it.

I don't care how cavernous it looks when you got BMO field offering an abysmal experience to the players and fans. On my shitty 360P stream even I saw how bad it looked.

The grounds crew get a pass on this, but come the season and if this pitch looks like crap again like last year some restructure is needed.
    Last edited by Richard; 02-27-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Media was reporting this week that Rogers offered Skydome for this game. Not sure where the "can no longer be configured for soccer/football" comes from. The issue was that it can't be changed during baseball season.

Why no dome option on 3 months notice?
    Every year when this debate comes up I remember people on this board and articles in the paper saying that RC can no longer be in football config. because of the renos.

Now, if you're right – that that's only during the baseball season, and that Rogers offered RC for the game – then yes, MLSE were massively stupid not to use RC, and that's a huge mistake on their part.

I'm really not sure what to believe, though. Do you have the article you're mentioning?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved the LA game at Skydome... (CAI would have been different, much smaller audience.) Very interesting to hear if it was offered though, definitely different from what others have claimed here.

But as others have said, there's probably no suitable turf available now for the dome. So that would have to be purchased (but rarely used). Plus the conversion costs are high. Team is justifying massive expenses for pitch upgrades at BMO Field due to the bad schedule (and the Argos). So they'll try to use it. If it doesn't work in February, so that even Bradley mentions it (who normally chooses his words pretty carefully) then maybe they'll reconsider in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/27/minnesota-united-allianz-field-construction-officially- notice how fully enclosed this new stadium is , are we ever going to see BMO Field enclosed like this ? I hope with the 2026 World Cup coming that renovations include the stadium having some kind of permanent wrap around it to enclose the open ends just like this new Minnesota stadium if not then BMO will continue to be one of the ugliest stadiums in the MLS just a bigger version of the CFL’s Tim Horton’s Field in Hamilton, two grandstands and a field .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does enclosed corners have to do with the turf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    What does enclosed corners have to do with the turf
    Nothing at all actually, but too lazy to search for the stadium thread so BMO Field pitch thread is the closest I found .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Nothing at all actually, but too lazy to search for the stadium thread so BMO Field pitch thread is the closest I found .
    lol gotcha no worries then

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Now, if you're right – that that's only during the baseball season, and that Rogers offered RC for the game – then yes, MLSE were massively stupid not to use RC, and that's a huge mistake on their part.

I'm really not sure what to believe, though. Do you have the article you're mentioning?
    Michael Leach from 680 News mentioned it. https://twitter.com/MLeach680News/st...74004491558912

Which is consistent with what was said at the time of the renovations (that they precluded quick changes to the footballl/soccer configuration).

You only have to look at the seat configuration for events like Monster Jam to see that the seats themselves are still being moved.
    Last edited by nfitz; 03-01-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Leach from 680 News mentioned it. https://twitter.com/MLeach680News/st...74004491558912

Which is consistent with what was said at the time of the renovations (that they precluded quick changes to the footballl/soccer configuration).

You only have to look at the seat configuration for events like Monster Jam to see that the seats themselves are still being moved.
    Okay, then yes, that's dumb. These games should be at the Dome, no question.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone remind me what we gained by not playing at Skydome? Attendance appeared to be significantly impacted. The extremely slow ball didn't seem to help.

I don't think this helped the pitch - though at least it wasn't tearing up in chunks.
    Atmosphere.

You may be aware it doesn't hinge on attendance. Or attendance bets.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Atmosphere.

You may be aware it doesn't hinge on attendance. Or attendance bets.
    I disagree. I think having it at BMO hurts the atmosphere a whole lot more. Sure the hardcore supporter will show up but that is what? 10-15% of the fan base? Not having numbers hurts the atmosphere too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attendance was hindered by there being no real chance of winning.

I was at the game last year for Colorado and for Chivas. The cold has never kept me out of BMO.. nor have I ever not seen it packed when it mattered.

The Game at Skydome sucked. I spent a load of cash the seats were uncomfortable. First game I took my father too and we stood on the concourse behind our seats because it was more comfortable than being in them. Skydome sucks.. We are Canadian it is just a little cold.

All CCL games were packed. MLS Cup all three times it was at BMO was packed. However when the team plays like garbage people don't want to go sit in the cold and watch them embarrass themselves, embarrass the club, and the city.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-01-2019 at 08:58 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    I disagree. I think having it at BMO hurts the atmosphere a whole lot more. Sure the hardcore supporter will show up but that is what? 10-15% of the fan base? Not having numbers hurts the atmosphere too
    It's NICE to have more people there but for some, it's more a priority to be at home and re enforce a new tradition.

The grass wasn't great. I don't think people need to expect perfection in such extreme conditions.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still convinced our head groundskeeper must be incompetent, a bunch of other fields in the northeast are fine...MAPFRE looks great and I doubt it's even heated. Talen Energy field seemed pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    I'm still convinced our head groundskeeper must be incompetent, a bunch of other fields in the northeast are fine...MAPFRE looks great and I doubt it's even heated. Talen Energy field seemed pretty good.
    I am not sure about the weather at Columbus or Philly, but it doesn't help that we had snow fall for the past few weeks. But I do agree that both stadiums looks great, and they are probably spending less money too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Come on man!
    The winters in Toronto are sensible more harsh than in Columbus or in Philly.
    The groundskeeping crew is very OK, given the circumstances!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Come on man!
    The winters in Toronto are sensible more harsh than in Columbus or in Philly.
    The groundskeeping crew is very OK, given the circumstances!
    Yes ... anyone who thinks winters in Columbus or Philadelphia are as harsh as in Toronto needs to brush up on their geography.

I think the groundscrew do their absolute best given the circumstances, and hopefully, hopefully, the hybrid will finally work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to screenshot because the account is on private:

Uhhh... did we just fire our grounds crew?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I have to screenshot because the account is on private:

Uhhh... did we just fire our grounds crew?
    Sure looks like it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true...that is stunning.

Within 2 weeks of the home opener, to have no staff?!?!?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

If this Grassmaster installation is ever happening then I figured getting someone with knowledge of it would be a plus. Also, the field probably get couldn't any worse than it is already if it was just left alone for 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I wonder how the new staff will perform when they have to get rid of CFL lines and divots

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that's nuts!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    I wonder how the new staff will perform when they have to get rid of CFL lines and divots
    Plus they have to deal with a brand new pitch, brand new systems, all just installed by others, and the season already started. Hopefully the basics as they are in place are all OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something tells me they got hacked, but then again they are still keeping the posts private.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Plus they have to deal with a brand new pitch, brand new systems, all just installed by others, and the season already started. Hopefully the basics as they are in place are all OK.
    I doubt it. Firing everyone points to a lot of stuff not being okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true this has to be unprecedented right? Holy smokes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I doubt it. Firing everyone points to a lot of stuff not being okay.
    True. I'm just hoping that it's more about day-to-day pitch management, amount of sand to use, etc. Fingers crossed?! The guy always seemed very thin skinned, could see him not handling the criticism well after the CAI game.

Maybe the excess sand can be hoovered up before the next game? Hopefully the underground systems were installed by other pros? Just trying to think positively for once. Of course if they have to replace the actual pitch again for some reason, we're screwed...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joking

Maybe they got a sudden offer to go to the Middle East

Serious speculation

Field on Tuesday was not good. Bradley called it embarassing. Manning had enough. Maybe he talks to them & they get huffy & quit. Or he talks to them & lets them go.

We can speculate on whether its possible to get a decent pitch for February but I suspect this is more about the past inability to get a decent pitch before May.